Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

DNA test reveals African ancestry

Old 01-14-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
DNA test reveals African ancestry

Very recent discovery in the Mabuse world.

My wife’s sister did a 23 and Me DNA test. She got the results back and she is 97.5% various European designations and 2.5% sub Saharan African. No one has done any substantial geneology, so no one knows precisely when or where the African/European procreation occurred. But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to hypothesize that it came down through the dad’s side of the family since that line has its roots in Tennessee for several generations.

I’ve found 2 or 3 posts online from white people who’ve had a similar experience of discovering sub Saharan African DNA and, upon inverstigation, each account was what you’d expect; European American and African slave relationships. But it can be other things as well. This came up a couple weeks ago around here. Giantrobo was talking about “swirlin”. Either way it’s intriguing and maybe a little bit sad.

There’s more to the story but I thought I’d see if anyone else had similar experience of surprising DNA results.
Old 01-14-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: DNA test reveals African ancestry

I came up with .3% of the Sub Saharan African on mine and 99.6% Northern European. My sister just did her DNA on 23andme and it turns out we are half-sisters now! Apparently our mom went to the grave with a secret. I'm now trying to locate my birth father and his family on the DNA websites - no matches so far! Fun times...
Old 01-14-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They could trace everyone back to Africa at one point. It does not necessarily have anything to do with slavery.
Old 01-14-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I came up with .3% of the Sub Saharan African on mine and 99.6% Northern European. My sister just did her DNA on 23andme and it turns out we are half-sisters now! Apparently our mom went to the grave with a secret. I'm now trying to locate my birth father and his family on the DNA websites - no matches so far! Fun times...
Whoa, that's crazy.
Old 01-14-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
They could trace everyone back to Africa at one point. It does not necessarily have anything to do with slavery.

Interesting that you say that. That was my wifeís reaction too. But my understanding is that these test look back about 200 - 400 years. Itís not finding your ancient ancestors, just more immediate. Like 6-10 generations ago.
Old 01-14-19, 12:30 PM

Old 01-14-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thatís crazy.
Old 01-14-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wooow. My wife is doing a lot of Ancestry stuff for her family and others and we've seen MANY situations like this exposed. She was contacted by a daughter my wife's Uncle didn't know he had after she matched my wife on Ancestry.

DNA..exposing lies, family secrets, and relatives we didn't know about.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-14-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Very recent discovery in the Mabuse world.

My wifeís sister did a 23 and Me DNA test. She got the results back and she is 97.5% various European designations and 2.5% sub Saharan African. No one has done any substantial geneology, so no one knows precisely when or where the African/European procreation occurred. But it doesnít take a rocket scientist to hypothesize that it came down through the dadís side of the family since that line has its roots in Tennessee for several generations.

Iíve found 2 or 3 posts online from white people whoíve had a similar experience of discovering sub Saharan African DNA and, upon inverstigation, each account was what youíd expect; European American and African slave relationships. But it can be other things as well. This came up a couple weeks ago around here. Giantrobo was talking about ďswirlinĒ. Either way itís intriguing and maybe a little bit sad.

Thereís more to the story but I thought Iíd see if anyone else had similar experience of surprising DNA results.

So someone banged a slave?
Old 01-14-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s my assumption.
Old 01-14-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've done the Ancestry DNA but no real surprises. near 50% British Aisle and the other half eastern Europe. The test become more accurate and the percentages can change as more people take these tests so it very well could happen that those very small 1-3 percent's could fall off your profile and no longer be considered accurate (at least with Ancestry DNA)

My half brother too the test to try and locate his birth father. His dad was in the military at the time and was married when he met my mom in England. She didn't know. When his superiors found out he was transferred to a different base and she never saw him again. He never told his family in the U.S. My half brother managed to link up with a second cousin who knew his father. The eventually got into contact and he travelled to the U.S> to meet his dad and extended family.

What's interesting is how many distant cousins that you have that you may not know ab Iout and could live very close to you. You may very well have dated a 5-8th cousin and never have known you were related. My dad had a best friend from his home town. They both passed away in 2016. As far as I know they did not know they were related, but his friends daughter whom I haven't seen since I was 6 years recent took the DNA tests and it matched us up as distant 5-8th cousins.
Old 01-14-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Wooow. My wife is doing a lot of Ancestry stuff for her family and others and we've seen MANY situations like this exposed.
Yup, my mother-in-law discovered last year that her brother and sister have (presumably) a different father than she does. Both parents are now deceased so there is no one for the three of them to confront about it.
Old 01-14-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I've done the Ancestry DNA but no real surprises. near 50% British Aisle and the other half eastern Europe. The test become more accurate and the percentages can change as more people take these tests so it very well could happen that those very small 1-3 percent's could fall off your profile and no longer be considered accurate (at least with Ancestry DNA)

Yes, Ancestry just recently adjusted their methods/algorithms and mine changed as well.

What's interesting is how many distant cousins that you have that you may not know ab Iout and could live very close to you. You may very well have dated a 5-8th cousin and never have known you were related. My dad had a best friend from his home town. They both passed away in 2016. As far as I know they did not know they were related, but his friends daughter whom I haven't seen since I was 6 years recent took the DNA tests and it matched us up as distant 5-8th cousins.

Yeah my wife and I have dna connections that match us both but they are clearly..hopefully lol... very distant.
Old 01-14-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So here’s the wrinkle. My wife’s dad is, let’s just say less than tolerant. He’s 70 years old and grew up in Tennessee. His branch of the family tree is total white trash.

Now it is still a presumption on my part that it comes from his line; it could still be my wife’s mother’s line, but that’s less likely. So I asked, “Are you going to tell him?”

And my wife naively said, “Well sure, why not?”
I’m like, “He may not be too happy to find out.”

Well the daughters told him him and he didn’t seem bothered, but they both agreed they don’t think he fully understood. The science is too foreign to him. He has absolutely no idea how any of this works.

(For clarity’s sake there are three siblings: My wife, middle son, and youngest daughter.)

So last night middle son calls. Middle son is a pretty dumb guy. It pains me to say it but he is a white supremacist. He doesn’t march down the street and punch antifa; he’s pretty harmless. But most of you lefties in the Politics Forum would label his views as racist.

He calls up last night like a messenger with all good news. “Don’t worry. I’ve been researching all this. Sierra Leone and Ghana were colonies of England and France. They were over 90% white. So the dna data is coming from European colonists living in Africa.”

I told him that may be true, but the African dna doesn’t get into the family through colonists living their, it gets there from fucking an African person. I also told him there was never a time when European colonists outnumbered the native people. The countries were and still are majority black. He didn’t want to here it.

I poked around the internet to try and find the crackpot site he might have found his info from, but I found nothing. It’s weird to talk to delusional people. He just wants to believe bullshit.
Old 01-14-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm 80% blu-ray and 19% HD-DVD. 1% DVD. Not sure how that happened, but somebody been foolin' around with my collection.
Old 01-14-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m 0.8% DIVX. I’m so ashamed. I hide it from my children.
Old 01-14-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm 1.2% Vulcan. Explains why my mom had zero interest in sci-fi but insisted we watch Star Trek together.
Old 01-14-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I'm 1.2% Vulcan. Explains why my mom had zero interest in sci-fi but insisted we watch Star Trek together.
Also explains why you only get laid once every seven years.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-14-19 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

100% East Asian
  • Chinese 81.8%
  • Chinese Dai 3.5%
  • Indonesian, Thai, Khmer & Myanma 4.3%
  • Vietnamese 0.6%
  • Broadly Chinese & Southeast Asian 9.8%
Old 01-14-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't want to know. Or give 23 and me free access to my DNA and the capacity to sell that information to the highest bidder and / or insurance companies as they see fit. No way, man.

But, I've family trees from maternal and paternal sides that go back to before the 1600s, and no sign of any African blood... whew... So nobody in my family was banging any slaves.
Old 01-14-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I don't want to know. Or give 23 and me free access to my DNA and the capacity to sell that information to the highest bidder and / or insurance companies as they see fit. No way, man.

But, I've family trees from maternal and paternal sides that go back to before the 1600s, and no sign of any African blood... whew... So nobody in my family was banging any slaves.
Probably for the best...

But yeaaaaah about that...in doing this Ancestry research what a lot of us Blacks are finding is many White Trees have intentionally "Missing Branches". That's where DNA matched with public records if you can find them..is exposing lies and cover ups. I've heard and read so many horror stories of white people blocking new black DNA matches that don't match their desired tree color. They don't wanna know that GGG Grand father or even GGG Grand mother had sex with slaves or even free Black people
Old 01-14-19, 05:27 PM

Are you sure about that? It's possible (albeit rare) for two people to share the same mother and father but have zero chromosomes in common.
Old 01-14-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
ďDonít worry. Iíve been researching all this. Sierra Leone and Ghana were colonies of England and France. They were over 90% white. So the dna data is coming from European colonists living in Africa.Ē
So, you can "catch the black"? That belief explains a lot of weird behavior.
Old 01-14-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, he has a simpleton view of how genetics works.
Old 01-14-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took an Ancestory DNA test last year and I found out Iím honky through and through. Entirely European. Iím over 30% Irish. I always knew I had Irish heritage but assumed I was only about 15% tops.

Inside my pants is all African, if you catch my drift...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.