Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: DNA test reveals African ancestry

Not if the Irish curse is true.
Old 01-14-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Probably for the best...

But yeaaaaah about that...in doing this Ancestry research what a lot of us Blacks are finding is many White Trees have intentionally "Missing Branches". That's where DNA matched with public records if you can find them..is exposing lies and cover ups. I've heard and read so many horror stories of white people blocking new black DNA matches that don't match their desired tree color. They don't wanna know that GGG Grand father or even GGG Grand mother had sex with slaves or even free Black people
Someone will have to work really hard to hide most of Thomas Jefferson's decendants.
Old 01-14-19, 08:25 PM

Old 01-14-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I don't want to know. Or give 23 and me free access to my DNA and the capacity to sell that information to the highest bidder and / or insurance companies as they see fit. No way, man.
100% with you on about trusting these companies. There's already been a number of reports about them freely sharing DNA info with the police and government agencies... without a warrant. The authorities ask, they give. Supposedly, government regs forbid cops and agencies from collecting this info on their own, but don't forbid them from getting it from third parties like these DNA testing companies.

It's not so much I don't want to know as it's just that (outside of some idle curiosity about my genetic diversity) I'm not all that interested. Coming from parents with 7 to 8 siblings and most of those aunts and uncles being deceased, and cousins I haven't seen in at least 55 years, I have more than enough relatives I have nothing to do with. Don't need any unknowns coming out of the family woodwork.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
But, I've family trees from maternal and paternal sides that go back to before the 1600s, and no sign of any African blood... whew... So nobody in my family was banging any slaves.
Well, FWIW, these DNA testing firms are pretty much showing just how inaccurate such family trees are.
Old 01-14-19, 10:17 PM
Political Exile

I'm the one who started that discussion in that other thread when I posted this video. Someone else in that thread who didn't watch the entire video assumed that it was from a slave and slavemaster having sex, but anyone who actually watched the entire video knew that it was actually a case of a black person and a white person getting married. Slavery had nothing to do with it. Skip to 8:40 for that part:

Last edited by grundle; 01-14-19 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
100% East Asian
  • Chinese 81.8%
  • Chinese Dai 3.5%
  • Indonesian, Thai, Khmer & Myanma 4.3%
  • Vietnamese 0.6%
  • Broadly Chinese & Southeast Asian 9.8%
When they say "Chinese" do they mean "Han"? I don't know much about China, but I know it's a big place with a lot of different peoples in it. It's like saying "81% Western European", who are about as much alike as Greek and Welsh.
Old 01-14-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Descendants of signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Old 01-14-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Whoa, now that's cool.
Old 01-15-19, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those doing these tests and wasting your valuable cash you been bamboozled. That shit results is all fake.
Old 01-15-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
Don't need any unknowns coming out of the family woodwork.

Well, FWIW, these DNA testing firms are pretty much showing just how inaccurate such family trees are.
Sure, family trees and records were usually incomplete, if not intentionally inaccurate.

But, I'm at the point where I do not care for the reason that there is no biologicial necessity to know. That is, I have no offspring which may (dubiously) benefit from this information. And there are lots of reasons NOT to do such DNA testing -- privacy concerns, possibly inaccurate or misleading results, and the is no *beneficia* genetic information conveyed.

If I could get a test that predicted reliably (p < .01, or even <. 001) that I'd develop one or another type of cancer, disease by age x, then I'd probably go for it after researching a company where *I* could be in control of what information they kept and how they could use it.
Old 01-15-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Are you sure about that? It's possible (albeit rare) for two people to share the same mother and father but have zero chromosomes in common.
We only share 31.3% DNA and 23andMe clearly states we are are Half-Sisters. There's been "rumors" in my dad's side of the family for years that I may not be his. I look more like my mom's side of the family while my brother and sister clearly look more like his - so that's what I attributed that all to but now this just clarifies it all.
Old 01-15-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
For those doing these tests and wasting your valuable cash you been bamboozled. That shit results is all fake.
How's that? I work with someone who did the test to learn if she had any genetic risks. She's adopted. The test company put in touch with her biological cousin, who was already in their database, and who gave her the email address of her mother.
Old 01-15-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
100% with you on about trusting these companies. There's already been a number of reports about them freely sharing DNA info with the police and government agencies... without a warrant. The authorities ask, they give. Supposedly, government regs forbid cops and agencies from collecting this info on their own, but don't forbid them from getting it from third parties like these DNA testing companies.
They do not need a warrant to get the data, only a subpoena or a court order. This falls squarely into third-party doctrine territory so it is not a 4th Amendment search. Therefore, no warrant required. And police absolutely can get your DNA on their own, but they would need a search warrant in that case. Sometimes they will try and get "cast off" DNA on your first (from a soda can you threw away or something like that) and use that match as the basis for the warrant but that isn't necessarily required if they have enough evidence on you otherwise.
Old 01-15-19, 10:25 AM

I really don't get the fascinations with these tests. It doesn't make me feel any different to know I came from Africa or China. I hope the people that find out their roots, try to make an effort to visit these countries and experience something
Old 01-15-19, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I really don't get the fascinations with these tests. It doesn't make me feel any different to know I came from Africa or China. I hope the people that find out their roots, try to make an effort to visit these countries and experience something
Yeah, it's a money-maker for sure. Not to mention like others have...your DNA info is now on the market, and now governments/insurance companies can accidentally come across them.

Whatever happened to just looking at photos with relatives and having a good time. Now we have to narrow down our heritage to the exact tribe-descendant in order to feel significant.

I'm sure most of us have very similar percentages from various countries. The fact is, humans like to fuck. A lot. And irresponsibly on top of that.
Old 01-15-19, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
We only share 31.3% DNA and 23andMe clearly states we are are Half-Sisters. There's been "rumors" in my dad's side of the family for years that I may not be his. I look more like my mom's side of the family while my brother and sister clearly look more like his - so that's what I attributed that all to but now this just clarifies it all.
Interesting...I wonder how they can tell that without DNA from your parents?
Old 01-15-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, it's a money-maker for sure. Not to mention like others have...your DNA info is now on the market, and now governments/insurance companies can accidentally come across them.
Honestly, if the spooky "They" with a capital "T" really wanted your DNA... "They" can get it easily; warrants, subpoenas, etc be damned. Since we're treading into Conspiracy Theory World here... Hell, ever wonder if that blood your Doctor drew made it straight to the lab? What happened to the that blood after they tested it? How do you know there's not a DVD Polizei clone out doing secret missions off planet?

That said... It's true 23andMe had made a deal with a pharmaceutical company . But you are given the choice to opt out of that while using 23andME and other companies have not done this.

Whatever happened to just looking at photos with relatives and having a good time. Now we have to narrow down our heritage to the exact tribe-descendant in order to feel significant.

DNA is showing some of those photos are lies. But seriously,you blow DNA testing off so easily but I know first hand that for American Blacks, we don't know shit about our heritage. We have no cultural connection to Africa outside of our skin color. For a lot of us...All we know is what we have from Slavery forward IF we're lucky.... [URL="https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/06/how-african-americans-use-dna-testing-to-connect-with-their-past/531834/"] How African Americans Use DNA Testing to Connect With Their Past[/URL. Contrast that with others who can tell you not only their country of origin, they can tell you what village and street the house was on where their GGGG Grandfather banged their GGGG Grandmother in to start their family.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-15-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Interesting...I wonder how they can tell that without DNA from your parents?
AncestryDNA is UTAH based company as you know. The Mormons have all human records, except for the blacks , in their secret base and have had dealings with AncestryDNA. Not sure about 23andMe but...jus sayin...
Old 01-15-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Travelers take trips to explore their genealogy
Old 01-15-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Very recent discovery in the Mabuse world.

My wife’s sister did a 23 and Me DNA test. She got the results back and she is 97.5% various European designations and 2.5% sub Saharan African.
Woot! She can start digging for reparations, or even go "Identity Shopping" now if she wants!
Old 01-15-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
How's that? I work with someone who did the test to learn if she had any genetic risks. She's adopted. The test company put in touch with her biological cousin, who was already in their database, and who gave her the email address of her mother.
Exactly. It's not fake.
Old 01-15-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Woot! She can start digging for reparations, or even go "Identity Shopping" now if she wants!
Dolezal has said she was born white.

Old 01-15-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup.... hence "Identity Shopping".
Old 01-15-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I'm the one who started that discussion in that other thread when I posted this video. Someone else in that thread who didn't watch the entire video assumed that it was from a slave and slavemaster having sex, but anyone who actually watched the entire video knew that it was actually a case of a black person and a white person getting married. Slavery had nothing to do with it. Skip to 8:40 for that part:

Look...let's just be honest with each other..you want to downplay the overall Slavery Rape aspect of American history as much as I want to play it up. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Old 01-15-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Yup.... hence "Identity Shopping".
Yep

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.