Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Took my car to Pep Boys today to get a tire plugged... BIG mistake.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-13-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After around 45 minutes of dropping it off, I get a call saying it's done & the tire just needed to be re-sealed around the rim & there was no hole to be plugged... & it only cost $16. Great news! I went to pick it up, paid "Guy #1" & went to my car to leave. Then, I see the damage. I could not believe what I was looking at, The rim was mangled beyond belief. After standing there in shock for 10 seconds, the rage kicked in & I went straight to the garage to ask who just worked on my car (it's a 2008 Dodge Charger Daytona Edition with just under 45k miles which I bought new, in mint condition). "Guy #2" says "I worked on it, but I cannot leave the garage". Guy #1 was there & asked what's the matter, is it dirty? I said "Dirty? It's fuckin destroyed!" He came over to take a look & even he looked shocked. He went to get guy #2 who, by the way barely spoke English, but tried saying the damage was already there. This got me even more heated. I said look at the other rims, there's not a mark on them. Look at the entire car, there's not a scratch on it. YOU did this. This also got guy #1 quite upset because he knew guy #2 was lying. Guy #2 then proceeded to try to get me to look on the positive side & began commending his work because the tire no longer leaked! I said I'd rather have a leaking tire than a fucked up rim! Anyway, guy #2 admitted fault & I was given the manager's card & Guy #1 told me to bring it back tomorrow to speak to the manager who would work it out. The pictures don't really show the full damage.

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com
Old 01-13-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Took my car to Pep Boys today to get a tire plugged... BIG mistake.

I have to ask ... are you sure you didn't hit something that damaged the rim and caused the tire to separate from the rim?

(No, it doesn't look like that, but I have to ask.)
Old 01-13-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Guy #2 didn’t know how to take it off and pried it off with a crowbar.
Old 01-13-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
After around 45 minutes of dropping it off, I get a call saying it's done & the tire just needed to be re-sealed around the rim & there was no hole to be plugged... & it only cost $16. Great news! I went to pick it up, paid "Guy #1" & went to my car to leave. Then, I see the damage. I could not believe what I was looking at, The rim was mangled beyond belief. After standing there in shock for 10 seconds, the rage kicked in & I went straight to the garage to ask who just worked on my car (it's a 2008 Dodge Charger Daytona Edition with just under 45k miles which I bought new, in mint condition). "Guy #2" says "I worked on it, but I cannot leave the garage". Guy #1 was there & asked what's the matter, is it dirty? I said "Dirty? It's fuckin destroyed!" He came over to take a look & even he looked shocked. He went to get guy #2 who, by the way barely spoke English, but tried saying the damage was already there. This got me even more heated. I said look at the other rims, there's not a mark on them. Look at the entire car, there's not a scratch on it. YOU did this. This also got guy #1 quite upset because he knew guy #2 was lying. Guy #2 then proceeded to try to get me to look on the positive side & began commending his work because the tire no longer leaked! I said I'd rather have a leaking tire than a fucked up rim! Anyway, guy #2 admitted fault & I was given the manager's card & Guy #1 told me to bring it back tomorrow to speak to the manager who would work it out. The pictures don't really show the full damage.

The manager needs to get you a new rim and return the $16 for the plugged tire. You shouldn't compromise for less that this.
Old 01-13-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy cow! If you don't get a satisfactory response from the manager by the end of tomorrow, you should send those photos to corporate.
Old 01-14-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Holy cow! If you don't get a satisfactory response from the manager by the end of tomorrow, you should send those photos to corporate.
Yikes! And yes, this. They're a big chain right? Tell corporate that if they don't take care of the problem, you'll go to social media. Even if you wouldn't actually do so, many companies are worried about shit like that nowadays.
Old 01-14-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks, but doesn't surprise me too much these days. I have non-stop problems with idiots in tire shops doing the wrong thing. No one seems to care. You will get a call from the manager and they will take care of the problem with lots of lost time and hassle on your part. They will apologize and act like this never happens and/or will never happen again. If you go back, something else will happen, rinse repeat. This is what I get from shop after shop after shop.

I had a toyota dealer install the lug nuts on my car with un-measurable force. Here is what I mean by that, I have a harbor freight electric impact wrench. Not the best in the world I know, but it is capable. Normally it can take lug nuts off a car in seconds without even warming up. After a service at a toyota dealer I needed to rotate the tires (the tires had no tire warranty so I was dong it myself) I spent over 30 minutes per wheel removing the lug nuts with the electric impact (something that should take 2 minutes per wheel tops) I had to 'impact' each nut for a solid 7 to 10 minutes (overheating the equipment) to get the lug nuts loose. I made a brief video to show the service manager. All I got was sorry, the shop impact wrench must have been out of calibration and they would look into it. NO ONE CARES!

I have a pep boys that I can walk to (maybe a 20 minute walk, but I consider 'walk to') and they ran a sale on tires that hands down beat everyone else around. My neighbor said they were a good shop even though they were pep boys So I decided to give them a try. The front counter person was excellent. Everyone else in the shop was an idiot. I now stand right on top of them and watch them work on my car even when doing a simple tire rotation (which I am stuck with them for 60k miles doing) because they are such morons. I actually had the manager come over and tell me I couldn't stand there and watch, I said BS, explained previous problems with their work, and didn't move. He gave up and let me stay..

Any way, typical tire shop experience if you ask me. I have since found a better place to go, local owner/operator that it at the front desk most days. A little pricey, but at least so far they haven't broken anything or caused any problems.
Old 01-14-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is this guy the manager?:

(Yes, I did just make a really obscure Boogie Nights reference....could have been worse. I could have just posted a song by The Dickies)
Old 01-14-19, 10:23 AM

I used to take my car to Pep Boys all the time because it was close to my apartment and "cheap". But they never did repairs right, so I know I spent much much more than if I'd just taken it to a reputable service station. I concur with the others that because this is a corporation you at least have social media to fall back on (or the threat of it anyway).
Old 01-14-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hell, the fact that this was posted on the DVD Talk Other Forum should be enough to scare them ....
Old 01-14-19, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I have to ask ... are you sure you didn't hit something that damaged the rim and caused the tire to separate from the rim?

LOL yeah I'm sure.
I spoke to the manager over the phone, going there shortly to talk to him & show him the damage. Like I said, the pictures don't really show the full damage. The rim is damaged so bad it almost looks like it was purposely done.

I wouldnt take my car there for big repairs, but I've had tires plugged there numerous times & never had an issue.
However, a few months ago I went there to get a new set of lug nuts. The guy said they had to be ordered & gave me a price of $50. When the put them on I noticed a few days later that they actually put THREE different size lugs on! I went back & spoke to the same guy who tried selling me a $600 universal impact gun so I'd be able to take them off lol.
Old 01-14-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a shit shop that is. So they sold you $4 worth of leftover lugnuts for $50 and then tried to cover it up by selling you something else? That's probably why the dude needed to mangle your rim.

I still can't wrap my brain around those pictures. Imagine being that employee and choosing to do that over asking for some help.
Old 01-14-19, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

guy #2 already admitted fault
Old 01-14-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It’s tough to find a mechanic who 1) is competant and 2) not a crook.
Old 01-14-19, 10:56 PM

So the manager was apologetic & cooperative.Told me to buy a new rim & they'd reimburse & install. Where do I find a new rim for a 10 year old car besides the dealer who would charge an arm & a leg? I found a few used ones on eBay but they were dinged/scratched up. Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buy it from the dealer for an arm and a leg and have Pep Boys reimburse you the full amount?
Old 01-14-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Buy it from the dealer for an arm and a leg and have Pep Boys reimburse you the full amount?
http://www.dodgeparts.com/search_rus...srch_str=alloy

Don't go back there again. I've been satisfied with Discount Tires. The franchise here is very good.
Old 01-15-19, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
http://www.dodgeparts.com/search_rushmore.php?dl_id=334&srch_str=alloy

Don't go back there again. I've been satisfied with Discount Tires. The franchise here is very good.
Thanks for the link. I searched my car (2008 Dodge Charger) & got 13 results with no pictures.
I found a used one on eBay for $180 that claims to have normal wear. The rim is for a limited edition Charger (Daytona Edition), only 1500 produced. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow for a price but don't want to pull a dick move & get one at a ridiculous price.
Old 01-15-19, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

1) Find out who the owner of that store is. They are a franchise, I thnk.

2) Send a nice and respectful communique to the owner with pictures, stating your case and that you deserve at minimum, compensation for the parts.

3) Imply if there can be no resolution, a civil case will be filed, where all additional fees accrued will be part of your civil suit. People will be required to show up as witnesses...
Old 01-15-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the link. I searched my car (2008 Dodge Charger) & got 13 results with no pictures.
I found a used one on eBay for $180 that claims to have normal wear. The rim is for a limited edition Charger (Daytona Edition), only 1500 produced. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow for a price but don't want to pull a dick move & get one at a ridiculous price.
They all include the part code. Look up the code from the sticker on your car. The search window also works by VIN after you've selected your year and model. Enter the VIN, and it should list the exact parts.

Have the VIN handy when you call the dealer. I usually just get it from my car insurance bill in the filing cabinet so I don't have to go outside to look at the car.

It's not being a dick to replace your wheel with a genuine Dodge part. That's what Pep Boys broke.
Old 01-15-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah Discount Tire is only place I will do any tire work.
Old 01-15-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

By the way, wanna trade places OP?

Last year I got the dreaded Check Engine Light. "Random misfire". Went to my guy, who specializes in my car (Mazda Miata). Tells me it's a bad ignition coil pack, he'll replace it, $600 (with a throttle body clean) and I'm done. No more CEL.

Two months later, the car starts bucking and stalling, I barely make it to the closest garage. Can't go to the same guy unless I get a tow. Mechanic says it's a bad coil (hey, didn't I just have that replaced??), that it's a cheap Chinese knockoff. $800 to get the official Mazda version installed. One day later, Check Engine Light. This time it's a bad catalytic converter. What's the #1 cause of a catalytic converter going bad? Driving the car with a faulty coil. $1400 for that to be replaced.

So yeah, I just spent $2200 to fix the damage caused by a $600 "repair"
Old 01-15-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm assuming that's the 20x9 SRT style wheel with the tire pressure monitor? They can get expensive. I own a 2007 Jeep SRT and a 2013 Charger SRT and luckily I haven't messed them up after all these years. Try these sites for a replacement.

https://stockwheelsolutions.com/cate...ge-wheels.html

https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com/...op=4342#page=1
Old 01-16-19, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
I'm assuming that's the 20x9 SRT style wheel with the tire pressure monitor? They can get expensive. I own a 2007 Jeep SRT and a 2013 Charger SRT and luckily I haven't messed them up after all these years. Try these sites for a replacement.

https://stockwheelsolutions.com/cate...ge-wheels.html

https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com/...op=4342#page=1
No, these are not the SRT wheels, they are the R/T's.
Here's the link.https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHARG...3586e#viTabs_0

Old 01-16-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, these are not the SRT wheels, they are the R/T's.
Here's the link.https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHARG...3586e#viTabs_0
Same wheel except it isn't stamped with SRT. If I were you I would call Dodge and purchase a new wheel and stick Pep boys with the bill.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.