Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Wisconsin teen Jayme Closs found alive after almost 3 months

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-11-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Her parents were murdered, and she was kidnapped, on October 15th, last year.

I certainly didn't expect this to have a positive conclusion. I have to say that I'm very happily shocked. It'll be interesting to hear the details behind the story.

A 21 year old has been charged with the kidnapping and murders. Apparently, he had no connection to, or contact with, the family, but was targeting her.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/jay...isconsin-found
Old 01-11-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Wisconsin teen Jayme Closs found alive after almost 3 months

Read this last night. Great news. Agreed about being happily shocked. So happy that she was found alive.
Old 01-11-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read this last might while perusing a forum I go to that discusses the EAR/ONS/Golden State Killer. This is great news.
Old 01-11-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, great to hear! I can't imagine what that poor girl went through over the past few months, but it's fantastic that she managed to escape and is now safe.
Old 01-11-19, 02:03 PM

I’ll admit when this happened a few months ago, the first thing that I thought was this could have been a case of a young girl and an older boyfriend trying to get away from disapproving parents.
im glad it doesn’t seem to be the case.
Old 01-12-19, 12:43 PM

Everyone on here who thinks that this young woman didn't have anything to do with her parents' deaths is extremely naive. She probably met this guy online, and he then "allegedly" kidnapped her & killed her parents. I'm sure she wasn't completely innocent in the deaths of her parents, and it sounds like she went with this guy willingly in the beginning.

She may have wanted to get away from him eventually, yes. But, I didn't read/hear about any signs of physical abuse.

Note that I don't question that the 21-year old was a scumbag. Hopefully this piece of shit will get the death penalty for these crimes. But, I don't believe the girl is innocent here.

Of course, even if the authorities had thought she had done something wrong, she's protected by our society, because she's a juvenile - and female.

There have been PLENTY of cases where a young teen runs off with her older boyfriend, and the boyfriend kills the parents because they disapprove of him & are trying to justifiably keep them apart. I can cite a lot of the more recent ones, but the most infamous of these is the Charles Starkweather/Caril Ann Fugate case from the late 1950's:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...-the-heartland

Last edited by TheDude; 01-12-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Everyone on here who thinks that this young woman didn't have anything to do with her parents' deaths is extremely naive. She probably met this guy online, and he then "allegedly" kidnapped her & killed her parents. I'm sure she wasn't completely innocent in the deaths of her parents, and it sounds like she went with this guy willingly in the beginning.
[...]
There have been PLENTY of cases where a young teen runs off with her older boyfriend, and the boyfriend kills the parents because they disapprove of him & are trying to justifiably keep them apart. I can cite a lot of the more recent ones, but the most infamous of these is the Charles Starkweather/Caril Ann Fugate case from the late 1950's:
I was thinking the same thing; itís kind of a thing for a young woman and her boyfriend to murder her her family and then take off. Rare, but it does happen from time to time.

But she could still be innocent, and it could be a Stockholm Syndrome thing like Elizabeth Smart.

Ultimately, itís up to the authorities investigating this case to put together what happened, and Iím sure they know more than the general public.
Old 01-12-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I am shocked - shocked- by the very un-Dude like thought by thedude that a woman is a liar.
Old 01-12-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

She may have wanted to get away from him eventually, yes. But, I didn't read/hear about any signs of physical abuse.

Note that I don't question that the 21-year old was a scumbag. Hopefully this piece of shit will get the death penalty for these crimes. But, I don't believe the girl is innocent here.

Of course, even if the authorities had thought she had done something wrong, she's protected by our society, because she's a juvenile - and female.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with you here. A typical kidnapping is to be as discrete as possible...not making matters worse by killing the parents and potentially leaving more evidence behind so the cops find you. I forgot where the abduction was said to occur, and what circumstances.

And normally, the person kidnapped due to "fixation", is killed within a short period of time. Very few exceptions (such as keeping them for sport). Hate to think this way, but this girl running out of the woods and into a neighborhood claiming she was kidnapped, raises a lot of questions in my mind. The LE seem to be purposely naive and I'm sure they think this case is really odd, and will be observing for some time as well as talking to the 21-year old about what actually happened..
Old 01-12-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I am shocked - shocked- by the very un-Dude like thought by thedude that a woman is a liar.
And his thought that lying women are protected by society.
Old 01-12-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Naivety and misogynist cynicism are both inappropriate lenses through which to look at this case at this point. Let's wait for the evidence that the police uncover and try to maintain a modicum of objectivity in the meantime.

Who am I kidding? Objectivity on the internet is dead.
Old 01-13-19, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read in one of the articles though that they have done a thorough search and found no connection between her and the kidnapper...online. You'd think if she met him online and they spoke about or planned anything like this...that there would be some type of digital footprint. Maybe a search of his digital items will turn up more info. They've had her items for 3 months...and are just getting his to review.

Guess we will have to see how the court case plays out.
Old 01-13-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's been an undercurrent of misogyny in this forum for a long time. But the suggestion that a 13-year old kidnap victim was asking for it is a new low.

Wisconsin's Jayme will 'need hope to go forward,' says LI kidnap victim

For 13-year-old Jayme Closs the recovery "process is going to be 10 times more difficult than mine was," said Katie Beers, who was kidnapped in December 1992 and locked for two weeks in an underground bunker in Bay Shore.

By Matthew Chayes
[email protected] @chayesmatthew
Updated January 12, 2019 9:43 PM

The Wisconsin teen who was kidnapped during an October home invasion in which her mom and dad were slain faces “a long road to recovery ahead,” said Katie Beers, who was kidnapped in December 1992 near her 10th birthday and locked for two weeks in an underground bunker in Bay Shore.

“Her process is going to be 10 times more difficult than mine was,” Beers, now 36, said of 13-year-old Jayme Closs — who was found alive in a rural part of the state — because Jayme was both abducted and her parents killed.

“She probably had not come to terms with the fact that her parents were shot and killed, because she was trying to stay alive,” Beers told Newsday in a telephone interview Saturday from her home in Central Pennsylvania. “She now not only has to grieve over the loss of her parents, but she also has to . . . come to a realization about the nightmare that she just endured for three months.”

Jayme escaped and was found Thursday. Police later arrested 21-year-old Jake Thomas Patterson on charges of kidnapping and homicide, according to The Associated Press. Patterson is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.

Jayme’s grandfather said Patterson had no connection to the family and didn’t know why he targeted them, the AP reported.

Sunday marks the 26-year anniversary of Beers’ rescue from the bunker in Bay Shore.

John Esposito, the kidnapper, died in prison in September 2013. At a parole hearing days before his death, he admitted having sexually abused Beers.

Beers has commiserated with other women who have been kidnapped and survived the experience, including Elizabeth Smart, Jaycee Dugard, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus, through the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Beers’ advice for Jayme?

"You need hope to survive. You need hope to go forward — not only you but your family as well,” Beers said.

Beers’ psychotherapist, Mary Bromley, told Newsday in 2013 that it took years of difficult, introspective work for Beers to begin to recover — if recovery is a possibility — from the abuse she withstood: molested by her godmother's husband, kidnapped by a family friend who imprisoned her in the dungeon, and hounded afterward upon living with a foster family on the East End.

Beers said on Saturday of a kidnap victim like Jayme: “They need to be able to talk about what happened when they're ready. They shouldn't talk about things until they're ready to.”

“I wasn't your normal 10 and 11-year-old girl. I unfortunately had a lot of sexual experience that I didn't want to have that made me at times not want to open up to people,” she said.

Beers said she’d be willing to speak with Jayme — but only when she was ready and wanted to.

“A part of me says yes, a part of me says no. The other part of me says if she or her family want to reach out to me, my contact, my email is not hard to find.”

A victim might want to “quarantine” the experience, she said and “might come out of the abduction not wanting to talk about” it.
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ing-1.25868137

I do not like how the new forum software deleted all the spaces between the paragraphs. I had to paste everything into Wordpad and copy that just to keep the formatting.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 01-13-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-13-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll withhold judgement until they find out it was a Mexican that did it.

Old 01-13-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Before you cowboys decide that the girl was in on it, how about we let actual professionals figure out if that is true or not. Jesus.
Old 01-13-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There's been an undercurrent of misogyny in this forum for a long time. But the suggestion that a 13-year old kidnap victim was asking for it is a new low.
What the hell are you talking about. We're talking about MOTIVE, not her gender.

Her gender has nothing to do with this case. It's motive.
Old 01-13-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'll withhold judgement until they find out it was a Mexican that did it.

Is that a fence or a door leading up to your Castle of Sarcasm.
Old 01-13-19, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with you here. A typical kidnapping is to be as discrete as possible...not making matters worse by killing the parents and potentially leaving more evidence behind so the cops find you. I forgot where the abduction was said to occur, and what circumstances.
Old 01-13-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Holy hell this thread turned ugly fast.
Old 01-13-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ing-1.25868137
Yep, we have some real pieces of shit in our little community.

Last edited by maxfisher; 01-13-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 02:50 PM
Banned

I just read about this but never understand why the media focuses on just one kid. Doesnít make sense
Old 01-13-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
What the hell are you talking about. We're talking about MOTIVE, not her gender.

Her gender has nothing to do with this case. It's motive.
If the "we" you refer to here is you and TheDude...well, re-read his post. It's all about her gender. He even says that she won't be prosecuted for doing something wrong because she's female.

Old 01-13-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I read in one of the articles though that they have done a thorough search and found no connection between her and the kidnapper...online. You'd think if she met him online and they spoke about or planned anything like this...that there would be some type of digital footprint. Maybe a search of his digital items will turn up more info. They've had her items for 3 months...and are just getting his to review.

Guess we will have to see how the court case plays out.
I will agree, this could be all a suspicious coincidence with this girl amazingly being able to escape. It's just so rare. Also haven't heard if this kid admitted to doing the murders yet, and it will be interesting what he says in court, how he got involved with this young girl, and why did he think killing the parents would help him make it easier abducting the girl.
Old 01-13-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
retro image of jumping to conclusion gif
I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm not saying she's guilty. I'm saying this is a really odd coincidence she manages to "escape", and how many kidnappings involve murdering the parents. Normally, it's just the kidnap victim who suffers under the hands of the kidnapper and the parents are the ones asking for any information about their missing kid and/or grieving for their child.

I'll let the courts decide what actually happened when it comes to justice. Laying down final judgment is not my area of responsibility. It's just a really odd case, is all I'm saying.
Old 01-13-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
If the "we" you refer to here is you and TheDude...well, re-read his post. It's all about her gender. He even says that she won't be prosecuted for doing something wrong because she's female.
As far as in court, of course she'll get a favorable boost by the jury. Just like if a guy is attractive or not and the jury cannot believe such a sexy man could kill his wife. This happens all the time. If you're an unattractive person, you also get bias in court. Guys with acne scars for example. Most juries think the guy must be rugged and cruel.

As far as a prosecutor charging her, there MUST be evidence first. I'm sure any prosecutor would be hesitant in bringing charges against a young girl if the evidence was not clearly pointing to her.

I'm not going to say the girl is guilty, as I'm not sure what TheDude is actually implying, but I think the girl's actions should be looked over very carefully. The motive here, is very nebulous. Why a kid would kill two people just to kidnap a girl is very odd. Even LE has commented as much, and in my opinion, they are dancing around the possibility of the girl being involved, so something is going on there as well and maybe the case is not as clear as they think it is.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-13-19 at 04:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.