Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a steak

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a steak

Old 01-08-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Getting ready to go on a Carnival cruise next week and came across this story. Oddly, many of the members of a cruising forum seem to side with the cruise line. He's suing for $100,000 in Austrailian court where the ship is flagged, but Carnival says they are not responsible.

Main points of the story:

Some passenger exposes himself to three young girls, one as young as 7 years old.

Carnival security shows at least one of the children and their parents picture profiles (complete with their room numbers on the pictures) of other passengers that match the description of the suspect.

One child wrongly identifies a passenger from the pictures as the suspect.

Father sees the room number of the wrongly accused person and goes down to his cabin forcing himself into the room and attacking the onnocent man infron of his wife and daughter.

Security eventually gets to the room and breaks up the altercation.

They take the innocent man into an interrogation room and grill him with questions for an hour and a half; telling him to just confess do exposing himself.

After an hour and a half, security eventually shows him the video of the suspect. The man points out that the person in the video is obviously not him because the man in the video clearly has no tattoos whereas he has multiple, large tattoos on both his arms and his legs.

Eventually security conceeds that he is not the person in the video and release him, but they tell him that he should understand why they thought it was him because "You're both Asian, so you look alike".

He requested medical attention for the injuries he suffered in the attack but Carnival refused unless he wanted to pay for medical services.

Carnival also did not nothing to the father who attacked the innocent man.

Later that day Carnival offered the man and his family a free steak dinner at one of their restaurants on the ship as a consolation. Most food is free on these cruises already and can get a steak dinner every day in the main dining hall.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...1e70d42d9c7cf8
Old 01-08-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Reason #3,274 not to go on a cruise.
Old 01-08-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Tube steak would have been more appropriate.

Unfortunately, Carnival is the Walmart of cruise lines. Be careful movieguru!
Old 01-08-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Indeed. Cruise ships? Plague ships more like.
Old 01-08-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't there some dumb rule about things happening in international waters, which is also the reason they can turn on the gambling once they leave the coast?

Also, this means that they never caught the actual perpetrator? I'm surprised they didn't start an internment camp for all the asian look alikes.
Old 01-08-19, 04:27 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Bingo!
Old 01-08-19, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Tube steak would have been more appropriate.

I was on a Carnival cruise last year and a comedian at the one of their shows said that just that. "If you don't like my jokes, remember you on on the Walmart of cruises"

For the money though it's really not a bad deal. One week for under $500 per person including all you can eat meals with fine dining, entertainment and travel to distant islands. You'd pay more than $1500 for a week at a hotel in Myrtle Beach with no food or entertainment included.
Old 01-08-19, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Isn't there some dumb rule about things happening in international waters, which is also the reason they can turn on the gambling once they leave the coast?

Also, this means that they never caught the actual perpetrator? I'm surprised they didn't start an internment camp for all the asian look alikes.
It may be on international waters but it doesn't mean you have free reign to commit any crime you want. If you want to get a divorce, you can't just take your spouse on a cruise and then find a way to toss them overboard.

What's odd is there's camera's all over the place on these ships. You should be able to track anyone on the ship by playing back the survielance footage. All you have to do is start at the footage of the hallway when they leave the cabin and you can find out where anyone goes during they're whole time on the ship. Sounds like in this case Carnival security didn't bother or want to take the time to review the footage. All they would need is the time and place of the occurrance and play back the video to see which cabin the suspect came from.
Old 01-08-19, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I go on cruises often. Love them. Wouldn't go on Carnival even if it were all expenses paid with nightly lapdances from Shakira, plus Ovaltine.
Old 01-08-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Carnival cruises are a steal, and you do get a lot of value for your money. But yeah, definitely lower tier (most of their newer boats are pretty nice though) and the clientele rarely let you forget it.

Alas taking a 7 day trip that includes 4 countries, room, and food for under $500 a person is hard to beat.
Old 01-08-19, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Alas taking a 7 day trip that includes 4 countries, room, and food for under $500 a person is hard to beat.
Unless youíre a Asian man with tattoos in which case you get beat.
Old 01-08-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This.

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Indeed. Cruise ships? Plague ships more like.
Aaaand, this.

You'd never find me on a cruise ship, especially shitty Carnival Cruise. That guy should sue the shit out of Carnival and the passenger who assaulted him.
Old 01-08-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I go on lots of cruises (In fact I just stepped off of one last week) and I've never been accused of exposing myself yet!

And the steakhouse is an $38 additional cover charge per person so a family of four would be like $150 savings - certainly worth all the hassle he went through amiright?

In all seriousness though carnival cruises are just drunken party boats.. I think the Walmart of cruises is a pretty apt description. I cringe when first time cruisers tell me they want to know what it's like so they book a 3 days Mexico cruise.. That's not at all what real cruising is like.
Old 01-08-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if people who wave-off cruises probably have only gone on Carnival quality, if at all. It's like saying you won't eat Italian because Olive Garden
Old 01-08-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be honest I've never been on a cruise at all. No interest, if I go on a trip somewhere, I like to be in control of my itinerary. I wouldn't want to spend most of my time on the ship, and then when we visit various destinations, I don't want to be herded around like sheep and on a tight, regimented schedule, not my idea of fun, but to each their own, I realize that some people have different ways they want to spend their vacation.
Old 01-08-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

They all fundamentally have the same problem. They can’t be kept clean enough. They fly under foreign flags. They’re staffed with foreigners from all over the place. You just can’t be sure what you’re getting.
Old 01-08-19, 05:42 PM
Political Exile

I get claustrophobic just thinking about being trapped on a ship and the tiny living quarters. But there are a few cruises like the Mega Cruise or 70,000 Tons of Metal that feature metal bands that sound like a lot of fun, so I may break down some day.
Old 01-08-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I would consider going on one of those cruises, not because of the cruise per se, but for the music. Lots of great bands in those line ups, and it would probably be better seeing them all on a ship instead of at a three day outdoor festival, which never sounded that fun to me.
Old 01-08-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, even though the rooms are small-ish at least you have a place to shit and shower.
Old 01-08-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yeah, even though the rooms are small-ish at least you have a place to shit and shower.
Yeah, that was the big advantage I was thinking of.
Old 01-08-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On a side note:

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
To be honest I've never been on a cruise at all. No interest, if I go on a trip somewhere, I like to be in control of my itinerary. I wouldn't want to spend most of my time on the ship, and then when we visit various destinations, I don't want to be herded around like sheep and on a tight, regimented schedule, not my idea of fun, but to each their own, I realize that some people have different ways they want to spend their vacation.
The only restrictions in ports is that you be back on the boat at a certain time. You aren't actually on any kind of schedule otherwise (though that is a pretty big one in and of itself). Last time we were in Cozumel we paid a family to tour us around in the back of their truck, sure they could have murdered us, but they had fun, and we had fun (and were horribly, horribly drunk).
Old 01-08-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Old 01-08-19, 06:44 PM

Though someone being accused of something they didn't do could & does happen anywhere, this doesn't speak well for this cruise company. A free steak dinner, after they accused him of this crime that he obviously didn't do?! This is insulting. Assholes.

And, to anyone that thinks that travelling on a cruise doesn't increase your chances of getting food poisoning, think again:

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...-board-cdc.htm

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-get-sick.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...er_Valley.html
Old 01-08-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They all fundamentally have the same problem. They canít be kept clean enough. They fly under foreign flags. Theyíre staffed with foreigners from all over the place. You just canít be sure what youíre getting.
Holy fucking shit

Americans. BASTIONS of cleanliness!
Old 01-08-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
That's not the case though. Once on the ship, you have a zillion options to keep you occupied; or not at all -- my favorite activity is to be out on deck during a day at sea, lying in a lounge overlooking the water, headphones on, reading a book, drinking a beer, and at total peace.

Once you get to port, you can either do one of a dozen activities, chill on the ship, or go off on your itinerary. We usually get a driver and see some of the areas that aren't necessarily on any of the boat itineraries. The last thing you want to be is stuck in a van with a bunch of loud, angry, smelly Americans who just want to eat at Senor Frogs and buy t-shirts and endless tchotchkes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.