Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a steak

Other Talk "Otterville"

Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a steak

Old 01-09-19, 11:18 AM
  #51  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,341
Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Try to do excursions that .....
Thanks, Vin! Exactly the type of info I'm looking for, very informative.
Old 01-09-19, 11:28 AM
  #52  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,977
Received 351 Likes on 226 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Thanks, Vin! Exactly the type of info I'm looking for, very informative.
No problem. PM me if you want to go into more detail.
Old 01-09-19, 11:35 AM
  #53  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 23,156
Received 574 Likes on 360 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
We are in the planning stages for a big family 2020 Alaska cruise. Did you do a 1-way cruise or did you do a round-trip thing? Anything in particular to look for/avoid?
Do you like crab? I've been on over 20 cruises and still the best shore excursion I've ever had was in Ketchikan a couple of years ago. Look for a tour that takes you to George Inlet Lodge. For us it was a boat tour where they would point out all the wildlife along the water, they pulled up a crab pot and showed how that all worked, and then we went back to the Lodge where not only was it all you can eat Emporer crab (which I think is the absolute best) but they even had a contest to see which table could eat the most. Best crab we've ever had.

I would do the 1-way cruise. Recommend Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau .. do the climb.. or you can do the white water rafting. In Skagway you can take a train up into the Yukon which is pretty good.

If you are taking Princess they should have all these options. But whatever you do it's hard to go wrong in Alaska. Just don't get sucked into the shopping as others have said.
Old 01-09-19, 11:51 AM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 14,263
Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

I've only been on one cruise, very small to Antarctica by way of South Georgia and the Falkland Islands, so I don't really have a frame of reference for what others are like. The few ports we went to weren't very regimented, but there wasn't a whole lot to do excursion-wise. Mostly research stations, abandoned whaling stations, things like that. The boat itself didn't have much in the way of nightly activities, nor was there a lot to do throughout the day. They had science based presentations, the occasional movie, and an evening program/skit put on by the crew that I rarely attended. Due to the water and weather in the area, the outside deck wasn't often a fun place to be, at least until we pulled into a protected area. There were times where it was 3 days of rough seas, nothing to see but water, and enough rolling to make it difficult to sleep. I enjoyed the trip immensely, but probably wouldn't do it again. If I wanted to see Antarctica again, I'd just go straight from Chile down and back up.

I wasn't falsely accused of anything, aside from the boat's xray thinking a bottle of my wife's shampoo was booze, so that was good.
Old 01-09-19, 11:52 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 23,156
Received 574 Likes on 360 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
This is pretty close to the layout we had for Boston to Bermuda this past summer. For 5K I felt pretty fucked over for the living quarters as the space under the bunk we really claustrophobic. Maybe 3 feet above the mattress until you are touching the bunk above you. Never again.... It was fairly clean and every time you went into the main dining room you were assaulted by staff trying to spritz your hands with antibacterial cleaner.
Well my recommendation is always, if you are going to spend that much on a cruise, dump just a little bit more into the room. Make sure you get a balcony and make sure you upgrade to a mini-suite if you are going with more than 3 people. Usually the price difference isn't that much and your experience will be much better.

When we were docked in Mexico last week I noticed a Carnival ship next to us and it had NO balconies that i could see.. yeck.
Old 01-09-19, 12:43 PM
  #56  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,977
Received 351 Likes on 226 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Well my recommendation is always, if you are going to spend that much on a cruise, dump just a little bit more into the room. Make sure you get a balcony and make sure you upgrade to a mini-suite if you are going with more than 3 people. Usually the price difference isn't that much and your experience will be much better.

When we were docked in Mexico last week I noticed a Carnival ship next to us and it had NO balconies that i could see.. yeck.
Agreed. Good points for sure.
Old 01-09-19, 01:25 PM
  #57  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,176
Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Don’t spend a penny to upgrade your room/cabin. If you’re in there more than to sleep and shower, you’re doing it wrong.
Old 01-09-19, 02:09 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,812
Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Donít spend a penny to upgrade your room/cabin. If youíre in there more than to sleep and shower, youíre doing it wrong.
this. Sleep, shower, and poop,(and extracurricular activities) . You don't really need to be in your cabin otherwise unless you're sick.
Old 01-09-19, 02:14 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,812
Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I am sure you were better trained and had better equipment, that is all I am saying. Low end equipment and poorly trained people can make it tough. Just look what happened in this case. If everything was so simple and easy ON THIS CRUISE SHIP this guy would not have been targeted.
I was in management and not store security. so I wasn't trained on the equipment at all. It wasn't hard to figure out and any reasonable person could easily figure out how to investigate something like this using the cameras and make logical conclusions. These security guys should have been trained at using the cameras, and they may have been but it sounds like they decided to take the easy way out and give a 7 year old child the benefit of the doubt rather than taking a few minutes to even look at the incident or the suspect on the computer first.
Old 01-09-19, 02:34 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,006
Received 486 Likes on 298 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Don’t spend a penny to upgrade your room/cabin. If you’re in there more than to sleep and shower, you’re doing it wrong.
​​​​Disagree. Sitting out on my private balcony overlooking the ocean with a drink and my book or music is HEAVEN
Old 01-09-19, 03:01 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 6,446
Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Yup. I've done it both ways and to me a balcony is worth it. What wouldn't be worth it to me is a suite. Better dining, but you can compensate with specialty restaurants for a fraction of the upgrade cost.

Last edited by tasha99; 01-09-19 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 03:38 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 23,156
Received 574 Likes on 360 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
​​​​Disagree. Sitting out on my private balcony overlooking the ocean with a drink and my book or music is HEAVEN
Yep. We use our balcony a LOT. Just relaxing and unplugging.. that's what vacations are all about.

We've seen the shows.. No desire to waste money at Bingo or whatnot.. So we spend a lot of time in the room and the balcony which is why we spend more for it.

As far the suite goes - I recommend a mini-suite. It's not the full suite so the room is typically only a little bit bigger than a standard one (as opposed to the full size suites that cost a lot more) but you get a bigger balcony. We haven't gotten below a mini-suite on our last 10 cruises and it's just my wife and I. It's worth it IF you plan to use the room/balcony a lot. If not then for 2 it's probably not worth it.
Old 01-09-19, 03:53 PM
  #63  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,176
Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

I’ve done several cruises, and always found dozens of nice quiet places with a view to relax with a book; the library, gym area and running decks for sure. I get that some people enjoy quiet time in their private rooms, but I do that at home or cheaper venues. A cruise ship has so many people to meet and activities to do that I’m never in my room and feel like I left the cruise without even touching half the boat.
Old 01-09-19, 04:00 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 17,627
Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I've only been on one cruise, very small to Antarctica by way of South Georgia and the Falkland Islands, so I don't really have a frame of reference for what others are like. The few ports we went to weren't very regimented, but there wasn't a whole lot to do excursion-wise. Mostly research stations, abandoned whaling stations, things like that. The boat itself didn't have much in the way of nightly activities, nor was there a lot to do throughout the day. They had science based presentations, the occasional movie, and an evening program/skit put on by the crew that I rarely attended. Due to the water and weather in the area, the outside deck wasn't often a fun place to be, at least until we pulled into a protected area. There were times where it was 3 days of rough seas, nothing to see but water, and enough rolling to make it difficult to sleep. I enjoyed the trip immensely, but probably wouldn't do it again. If I wanted to see Antarctica again, I'd just go straight from Chile down and back up.
I admit that was one cruise I was actually curious about, but after reading your description, never mind!
Old 01-09-19, 04:22 PM
  #65  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,977
Received 351 Likes on 226 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I admit that was one cruise I was actually curious about, but after reading your description, never mind!
You are not going to get wined and dined on a cruise to Antartica. You might see a rogue wave though. Southern Atlantic is famous for them.
Old 01-09-19, 04:35 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,875
Received 506 Likes on 407 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I've done a lot of work with loss prevention in large retail stores during investigations. I tend to agree, this is pretty trivial. Even years ago, your typical WalMart not only has a decent array of cameras, they have software that allows them to pick an individual in one view and then the software will automatically track the person's movements throughout the entire store. It's pretty slick, actually, and this sort of technology has been around for several years now.
In other words, the game has been up for shoplifting for many years now!

I wonder just how much all of these cameras actually save the stores. The upfront cost must be pretty substantial. You can bet the stores's passing that cost (and more!) along to its customers. Also, there's the issue of "when do we bother to look up footage" -- on a $10 item vs a $100 item vs a $1000 item, etc. Then there is the question of actually catching the shoplifter -- if he is even noticed. But if he is, there's almost no way for him to abscond with the item, given the advanced functions of these cameras. That's when the human factor -- actual good operators and users of the cameras themselves comes into play. The whole thing falls apart if the loss prevention people don't know how to cue up footage, etc...
Old 01-09-19, 06:26 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 41,225
Received 583 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I admit that was one cruise I was actually curious about, but after reading your description, never mind!
Yup, setting foot on Antarctica is on my long-term bucket list but getting there and back again as quickly as possible will be the order of the day. If the only option is an 8-day cruise, I will probably never go.
Old 01-09-19, 06:31 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 41,225
Received 583 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
In other words, the game has been up for shoplifting for many years now!

I wonder just how much all of these cameras actually save the stores. The upfront cost must be pretty substantial. You can bet the stores's passing that cost (and more!) along to its customers. Also, there's the issue of "when do we bother to look up footage" -- on a $10 item vs a $100 item vs a $1000 item, etc. Then there is the question of actually catching the shoplifter -- if he is even noticed. But if he is, there's almost no way for him to abscond with the item, given the advanced functions of these cameras. That's when the human factor -- actual good operators and users of the cameras themselves comes into play. The whole thing falls apart if the loss prevention people don't know how to cue up footage, etc...
They are great for tracking people in the store as it happens (like movieguru described) and for supporting criminal prosecution later (caught through other means, support police, etc.) when a timeframe is known. However, I am sure they are less practical for retroactively catching people. Let's say that someone steals a blue-ray player from Walmart. It might be days before your inventory people actually even detect the theft. Now you would have to go through days of footage and identify and then track through the system everyone who picked up one of those players for 2-3 days in order to ID them and maybe get a decent picture of them when they went through the door. All this to turn over a picture to police who, honestly, probably won't be able to do anything with it. Considering Walmart's wholesale cost of the item, almost certainly not worth the time and effort.
Old 01-09-19, 07:10 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 23,156
Received 574 Likes on 360 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Yup, setting foot on Antarctica is on my long-term bucket list but getting there and back again as quickly as possible will be the order of the day. If the only option is an 8-day cruise, I will probably never go.
You can do what we did. We took a cruise that stopped in Punta Arenas, Chile. Took a 2.5 hour flight to an Antarctic settlement and saw a research center and spent a few hours there then flew back. I think it was like $3k just to do that. But.. bucket list checked off.
Old 01-09-19, 07:28 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 17,627
Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
You can do what we did. We took a cruise that stopped in Punta Arenas, Chile. Took a 2.5 hour flight to an Antarctic settlement and saw a research center and spent a few hours there then flew back. I think it was like $3k just to do that. But.. bucket list checked off.
Yeah, I'd love to go to Antarctica and this sounds much more doable, if still pricey. On the other hand, I'd also love to check out the Falkland Islands and South Georgia as well, but the majority of the cruise itself sounds like it would be too boring to be worth the time and money (for me). Oh shit, I'll likely never do either at this point in my life anyway. Maybe I'll just go to Tierra del Fuego or Cape Horn in particular and call it a day.
Old 01-09-19, 07:38 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 43,484
Received 632 Likes on 512 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

My mom just did a 2 week cruise down there on Celebrity. Seemed to have a pretty good itinerary: https://www.celebritycruises.com/iti...sDT=2019-01-20 (Buenos Aires - Two stops on the tip of Antarctica, Elephant Island, Port Stanley - Falkan Islands, and some other various stops... also worth noting the actual price (for interior) is $1700, not $2800).

Apparently it's a nice boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oScEKjDJnw

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
This is pretty close to the layout we had for Boston to Bermuda this past summer. For 5K I felt pretty fucked over for the living quarters as the space under the bunk we really claustrophobic. Maybe 3 feet above the mattress until you are touching the bunk above you. Never again.... It was fairly clean and every time you went into the main dining room you were assaulted by staff trying to spritz your hands with antibacterial cleaner.
$5K? Christ, was it a Disney cruise? The appeal of cruises here in Florida are how cheap they are as a family vacation.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-09-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 07:45 PM
  #72  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,176
Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Antarctica was always at the top of my bucket list, the most expensive part of my visit every continent plan. But over 50 and only two continents in has me thinking perhaps I’ll make a new list.
Old 01-09-19, 07:45 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,006
Received 486 Likes on 298 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
My mom just did a 2 week cruise down there on Celebrity. Seemed to have a pretty good itinerary: https://www.celebritycruises.com/iti...sDT=2019-01-20

Seemed like a nice boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oScEKjDJnw



$5K? Christ, was it a Disney cruise?
Celebrity is FANTASTIC. Wonderful cruise line. That and Royal Caribbean are the only options I'll consider.

I had to go on MSC once for the fucking Def Leppard cruise. Holy. Fucking. Shit. I can't shittalk that line enough.
Old 01-09-19, 07:47 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,006
Received 486 Likes on 298 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Iíve done several cruises, and always found dozens of nice quiet places with a view to relax with a book; the library, gym area and running decks for sure. I get that some people enjoy quiet time in their private rooms, but I do that at home or cheaper venues. A cruise ship has so many people to meet and activities to do that Iím never in my room and feel like I left the cruise without even touching half the boat.
Library, gym, decks are nothing like your own private balcony. Just the sound of you, the ocean, and total chill time. I'll still head out of course but having that private time is so magnificent. And besides, who the hell needs other people?
Old 01-09-19, 08:21 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 17,627
Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I had to go on MSC once for the fucking Def Leppard cruise. Holy. Fucking. Shit. I can't shittalk that line enough.
Was that the cruise where Joe Elliott lost his voice?

Hmm, I didn't know that the Mediterranean Shipping Company had a cruise line. Yeah, a company that specializes in shipping cargo containers might not be the best company to start a cruise line, not exactly their expertise.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.