Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a steak

Other Talk "Otterville"

Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a steak

Old 01-08-19, 06:56 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 38,029
Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
It may be on international waters but it doesn't mean you have free reign to commit any crime you want. If you want to get a divorce, you can't just take your spouse on a cruise and then find a way to toss them overboard.

What's odd is there's camera's all over the place on these ships. You should be able to track anyone on the ship by playing back the survielance footage. All you have to do is start at the footage of the hallway when they leave the cabin and you can find out where anyone goes during they're whole time on the ship. Sounds like in this case Carnival security didn't bother or want to take the time to review the footage. All they would need is the time and place of the occurrance and play back the video to see which cabin the suspect came from.
It's true that you can't commit murder, but if you did, what jurisdiction does it fall in? They basically gave this guy's info out and falsely accused him, but which laws does that violate and how does he get recompense?
Old 01-08-19, 07:42 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,463
Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

I've been on 12 cruises and going on my 13th cruise in the summer.

Went on my first and last Carnival cruise in 1998.

Though I do like Princess Cruises (subsidiary of Carnival)
Old 01-08-19, 07:57 PM
  #28  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Holy fucking shit

Americans. BASTIONS of cleanliness!
Take a look at the post right above yours.

I didnt mean to associate foriegners with uncleanliness. Those are two different issues.

But the staff is a joke. And if you have a problem, like in this situation, security is like 3 guys from Barbados and a chick from Sri Lanka.
Old 01-08-19, 08:56 PM
  #29  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,939
Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I've been on 12 cruises and going on my 13th cruise in the summer.

Went on my first and last Carnival cruise in 1998.

Though I do like Princess Cruises (subsidiary of Carnival)
Most of the boats are owned by the same company...Carnival. They own Holland America, Cunard, Costa and Princess Cruises to name a few.

We went on our first cruise this year to Alaska (took Holland America because the cruise met our trip timing). It was pretty amazing. Some of the stuff with the ports is unsettling like how the cruise lines own the towns and the people basically.
Old 01-08-19, 09:02 PM
  #30  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,315
Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
We went on our first cruise this year to Alaska (took Holland America because the cruise met our trip timing). It was pretty amazing. Some of the stuff with the ports is unsettling like how the cruise lines own the towns and the people basically.
We are in the planning stages for a big family 2020 Alaska cruise. Did you do a 1-way cruise or did you do a round-trip thing? Anything in particular to look for/avoid?
Old 01-08-19, 09:28 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,046
Received 663 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

I did the Holland America Alaska some years back. The ship was bigger than the town in some cases! Fun cruise, though. All you can eat Lox was a problem for me. And one day we had rough seas. I made the mistake of ordering cioppino or something for dinner, which I left at the table in favor of going back to the cabin to lie down. The waiter said I just needed to 'blow and blow' ...
Old 01-08-19, 09:33 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,786
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It's true that you can't commit murder, but if you did, what jurisdiction does it fall in? They basically gave this guy's info out and falsely accused him, but which laws does that violate and how does he get recompense?
I believe jurisdiction falls under whatever flag the ship sails under, but if the cruise ship left Florida and was in international waters and a crime was committed by and to a U.S. citizen, then they may be able to prosecute for a major felony. Wonder what would happen if a child was born while in internaonal waters. It may follow the citizenship of the parents, but what if the parents were not citizens of the same country.
Old 01-08-19, 10:17 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,046
Received 663 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Sovereign Citizen of the World, baby.
Old 01-08-19, 10:49 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,463
Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I believe jurisdiction falls under whatever flag the ship sails under, but if the cruise ship left Florida and was in international waters and a crime was committed by and to a U.S. citizen, then they may be able to prosecute for a major felony. Wonder what would happen if a child was born while in internaonal waters. It may follow the citizenship of the parents, but what if the parents were not citizens of the same country.

I went on a Caribbean cruise in 2015 and a woman was 5 months pregnant and went into labor! Even though the baby was born at sea, we had to haul ass to the next port, Puerto Rico.


A “born at sea” baby follows the legal citizenship of the parents.










Last edited by MLBFan24; 01-08-19 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 11:03 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I go on lots of cruises (In fact I just stepped off of one last week) and I've never been accused of exposing myself yet!.
That is a curious choice of words ... and yet it's still not an actual denial.
Old 01-08-19, 11:21 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,171
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

I would rather vacation another way, I did a cruise once, had a good time, nothing went wrong, but would not ever do it again. I have more fun going to a place and staying for a week or two. Its a personal opinion. In all my research, I avoided carnival for the one cruise I did take What many people say here is what I heard, Carnival is the walmart of cruising, and also usually the people on the cruise are like people of walmart as well

That said, I was concerned about medical care and law before I went on a cruise, basically everything is fine until it isn't, When it isn't, it can be very confusing what laws to follow or who if anyone is going to help . It depends on too many factors that change daily. Just hope for the best

As for cameras tracking everything, yes and no, just because a camera is there does not mean it is working. It also does not mean that some person in charge of the camera can actually find the proper footage (this is harder to do than you may think).

Any way, sucks for this guy, but that is the kind of shit that happens with cruise staff
and the steak dinner wow
Old 01-08-19, 11:55 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 6,414
Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

I love cruising because I love the feeling of being on the water. Don't care about ports much--just water, wind, and scenery. Someone mentioned fine dining, but at least on HAL and Celebrity, the food is mediocre; I bet it's pretty horrible on Carnival. Get a large specialty dining package to avoid the main dining room (that's my tip--the specialty dining at least on HAL and Celebrity was much better than the included meals. Not their fault as there is no way to cook for the main dining room/buffet numbers without having it all turn into wedding banquet food).

You do give up some freedoms cruising, but I think what happened to the guy in the OP is outrageous. Carnival should not have given his name/identity out like that.
Old 01-09-19, 12:38 AM
  #38  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,786
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post

As for cameras tracking everything, yes and no, just because a camera is there does not mean it is working. It also does not mean that some person in charge of the camera can actually find the proper footage (this is harder to do than you may think).
I've worked in large stores where we had multiple security cameras; nowhere near as many as would be on a cruise ship but it should be the same concept. Everything is time stamped. Once you know where the incident occurred, you can just backtrack from there. if the guy walked into an area where the camera was not working, he would eventually reenter camera view on a very limited number of other cameras; so you would only need to scan footage from those cameras in a given time period to find him again. Not really very hard at all. Their security just didn't bother to do so and/or was very incompetent. They didn't even seem to analyze the footage of the suspect to notice something simple like not having tattoos. They merely focused on two things "Asian" and "male".
Old 01-09-19, 07:18 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 11,740
Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Just went on a Xmas cruise with the fam... we've been on a bunch. This one wasn't Carnival but I did finish my trip with the flu.
Old 01-09-19, 08:27 AM
  #40  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,939
Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
We are in the planning stages for a big family 2020 Alaska cruise. Did you do a 1-way cruise or did you do a round-trip thing? Anything in particular to look for/avoid?
Try to do excursions that take you away from the port towns. That's not to say avoid the port towns completely, but keep in mind that the towns are owned at least 70% by the cruise lines. Almost all the shops you see there are owned and staffed by the cruise lines. You're not going to have an authentic Alaska experience buying diamonds from a guy from Indonesia who was flown in for the season by the cruise line. I'd also look for excursions that are not run by the cruise line. We had a bus tour of the Yukon out of Skagway that was run by an independent operator. My wife and I were the only 2 tourists on the bus. The rest of the people were guides in training. It was a little weird at first, but they stopped the bus whenever we saw something cool and wanted to get out. It was a unique experience. We also did one excursion that was setup by the cruise line and it was fun. I'd say 3/4 of our excursions were booked through independent operators. Oh and in my opinion, I would do the one way cruise. There are not too many out of Seattle, so we went out of Vancouver. It was awesome to see Vancouver for a day and when we finished, we took a bus tour from Seward all the way to Anchorage and we stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Not sure if people watch Natgeo Wild, but Dr Oakley Yukon vet is always at that place. We also went to the Alaksa Air Museum at the Anchorage Airport which was a pretty cool find. Neither of those things would have happened with a round trip cruise. Also, make sure your boat goes into Glacier Bay. Only 2 cruise ships a day are allowed in there, so make sure that is part of the cruise. It's amazing.
Old 01-09-19, 08:36 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 41,174
Received 562 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I've worked in large stores where we had multiple security cameras; nowhere near as many as would be on a cruise ship but it should be the same concept. Everything is time stamped. Once you know where the incident occurred, you can just backtrack from there. if the guy walked into an area where the camera was not working, he would eventually reenter camera view on a very limited number of other cameras; so you would only need to scan footage from those cameras in a given time period to find him again. Not really very hard at all. Their security just didn't bother to do so and/or was very incompetent. They didn't even seem to analyze the footage of the suspect to notice something simple like not having tattoos. They merely focused on two things "Asian" and "male".
I've done a lot of work with loss prevention in large retail stores during investigations. I tend to agree, this is pretty trivial. Even years ago, your typical WalMart not only has a decent array of cameras, they have software that allows them to pick an individual in one view and then the software will automatically track the person's movements throughout the entire store. It's pretty slick, actually, and this sort of technology has been around for several years now. Alas, the one area in which these systems are almost always weak is getting good, high-res closeups of the person's face. Often, the only camera that is worth a damn for getting a look at the person's face are the doorjam cams as people walk in and out of the store. Everything else tends to be a lower-res overhead view, even over the cashier areas.
Old 01-09-19, 08:37 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Posts: 1,952
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post




A “born at sea” baby follows the legal citizenship of the parents.









That is better than being designated an anchor baby!
Old 01-09-19, 08:48 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 41,174
Received 562 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
...and we stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.
This 100%. Definitely worth stopping. We spent an afternoon there on our drive from Anchorage down to Seward. It's been over four years since I visited and I still donate money to this place every year.

The wife and I never considered taking a cruise to Alaska but we did consider taking a multi-day intercoastal cruise in Alaska (smaller boat, more active activities). The thing that finally turned us off of the idea was the fact that what activities are offered tends to be based entirely on what the interests of the passengers as a group are. So if you want to do a bunch of active stuff and most of the rest of the 30-40 passengers are blue hairs, you are probably shit out of luck. We ended up just running our own itinerary, using rental cars for much of it, and were very happy with how things turned out schedule wise. Hertz one-way rentals were actually pretty cheap in Alaska so we had one that we picked up/dropped off in Juneau and another than we picked up in Anchorage and dropped off in Seward and just took the scenic train back when we were done. Our few days in Gustavus/Glacier Bay as well as (obviously) Kenai Fjords were without a car.
Old 01-09-19, 09:13 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,786
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I've done a lot of work with loss prevention in large retail stores during investigations. I tend to agree, this is pretty trivial. Even years ago, your typical WalMart not only has a decent array of cameras, they have software that allows them to pick an individual in one view and then the software will automatically track the person's movements throughout the entire store. It's pretty slick, actually, and this sort of technology has been around for several years now. Alas, the one area in which these systems are almost always weak is getting good, high-res closeups of the person's face. Often, the only camera that is worth a damn for getting a look at the person's face are the doorjam cams as people walk in and out of the store. Everything else tends to be a lower-res overhead view, even over the cashier areas.
The ones we had at a grocery chain I worked at many years ago were really good. You could remotely move each individual camera around and follow someone if they moved out of the current frame. You could also zoom in to a zit on their face or ny other point of interest. The zoom was good enough to zoom in and see the denomination of paper currency in case there was ever a dispute.
Old 01-09-19, 09:15 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,294
Likes: 0
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

I've been on 6-7 cruises. Each time a different line. Ironically the best time we had was on Carnival.
Old 01-09-19, 09:15 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,171
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I've worked in large stores where we had multiple security cameras; .
I am sure you were better trained and had better equipment, that is all I am saying. Low end equipment and poorly trained people can make it tough. Just look what happened in this case. If everything was so simple and easy ON THIS CRUISE SHIP this guy would not have been targeted.
Old 01-09-19, 09:51 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jpcamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,871
Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

This is pretty close to the layout we had for Boston to Bermuda this past summer. For 5K I felt pretty fucked over for the living quarters as the space under the bunk we really claustrophobic. Maybe 3 feet above the mattress until you are touching the bunk above you. Never again.... It was fairly clean and every time you went into the main dining room you were assaulted by staff trying to spritz your hands with antibacterial cleaner.

Old 01-09-19, 10:03 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Upright, in a cool, dry place
Posts: 4,395
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
That is better than being designated an anchor baby!
Old 01-09-19, 10:18 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 17,347
Received 669 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Wonder what would happen if a child was born while in internaonal waters. It may follow the citizenship of the parents, but what if the parents were not citizens of the same country.
Dual citizen?
Old 01-09-19, 10:27 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 41,174
Received 562 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Carnival Cruise Line falsely accuses father of a sex crime then offers him a stea

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
The ones we had at a grocery chain I worked at many years ago were really good. You could remotely move each individual camera around and follow someone if they moved out of the current frame. You could also zoom in to a zit on their face or ny other point of interest. The zoom was good enough to zoom in and see the denomination of paper currency in case there was ever a dispute.
Oh yeah, if you are following someone in real time, sure. I am talking about developing video evidence after the fact as they were doing here. The Walmart system can follow people on video from footage of stuff that already happened. The controller just basically clicks on a person in the overhead footage as they walk in and the software follows them across all the cameras as they moved around the store, splices that together automatically, and then puts together footage specific to that person's activities. If nothing else, it saves loss prevention personnel a lot of time from sitting in their little space with a bunch of cops pouring through footage all day. The only problem is that you cannot zoom in and get closeups on stuff that already happened. If they don't get a good face shot on the bad guy in the red shirt and the Yankees cap when he is coming or going through the door, all you have is overhead of the bad guy in the red shirt and Yankees cap moving around the store. Occasionally the service desk has good eye level cams also, but that's about it.

I once worked a case maybe four years ago where we went to get footage from a U.S. Post Office branch. Their video surveillance system was ancient and recorded footage to VHS tapes. They had one tape per day and just rotated the tapes on a biweekly basis, putting in the "Monday 1" tape on on the first Monday, etc., recording over footage from two Mondays prior. Every once in awhile they would replace a broken tape but otherwise they had been using the same tapes for years and no one ever thought anything of it, apparently. You are probably old enough to remember how VHS recordings start to degrade rapidly the more times you used a tape. All of their footage was basically just snow as they had used these tapes dozens if not a hundred or more times already. It was one of the saddest displays of security incompetence I had ever witnessed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.