Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

World's Leading Culinary Destination 2018

Old 01-08-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

World's Leading Culinary Destination 2018

OK disclaimers first. I am Peruvian so definitely biased but I would still like to bring awareness to the amazing cuisine of Peru.
It was recently given the award of best culinary destination for 7th year in a row.
I think the reason why Peruvian is becoming so popular, its because is an alchemy of flavors that share roots in different countries and the dishes are so diverse that some might feel Hispanic, while others Asian or even Indian.

https://www.worldtravelawards.com/aw...stination-2018

Now here is a quick list of some of their dishes

Lomo Saltado
a stir fry that typically combines marinated strips of sirloin (or other beef steak) with onions, tomatoes, french fries, and other ingredients; and is typically served with rice. This one I make often at home

Ceviche
The classic Peruvian ceviche is composed of chunks of raw fish, marinated in freshly squeezed key lime or bitter orange (naranja agria) juice, with sliced onions, chili peppers, salt and pepper. Corvina or cebo (sea bass) was the fish traditionally used.

Aji de Gallina
slightly spicy and bright yellow from the famous aji amarillo peppers, and rich from the unusual cream sauce made with ground walnuts. This dish is traditionally served over rice with boiled yellow potatoes and black olives.

Pollo a La Brasa
also known as blackened chicken or rotisserie chicken in the United States and charcoal chicken in Australia, is a common dish of Peruvian cuisine and one of the most consumed in Peru, along with ceviche, papa a la huancaina, salchipapa, and chifa. The dish originated in the city of Lima in the 1950s.

Arroz Chaufa
also known as Arroz de chaufa (Chinese rice) is a Peruvian fried rice dish. ... It consists of a mix of fried rice with vegetables, usually including Chinese onions, eggs, and chicken, quickly cooked at a high flame, often in a wok with soy sauce and oil.

Tallarines Verdes
Peruvian Pesto (Tallarinas Verdes) is made with a popular sauce that boasts the most aromatic basil in the world. This particular dish is made with a slew of flavors, including red onion, spinach leaves, and even white fresh cheese. spaghetti.

There is a lot more i could list, Anticuchos (heart cow), Arroz con pato (rice with duck), Seco de Cordero (lamb stew), Carapulca, Papa a la hunacaina and even guniea pig (which is where I draw the line) but i don't want to make this too long. But what is cool is that each dish is very different from the other. Its like we stole from many different places and twisted the recipes to our own palate

Further reading
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...n-cuisine.html

Thank you and hope you give it a try one day
Old 01-08-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: World's Leading Culinary Destination 2018

Wow. Looks great. Does Peruvian food have a link to Indian cuisine?
Old 01-08-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want some Cuy! I hear guinea pig is delicious and that is on my bucket list to try. They also have a guinea pig festival in Peru every year.
Old 01-08-19, 02:01 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Based on my limited experience, Peruvians know how to do seafood. I've wanted to try ceviche, but they were out the few times I ordered. I have had parihuella (spell?) stew which I love.
Old 01-09-19, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Based on my limited experience, Peruvians know how to do seafood. I've wanted to try ceviche, but they were out the few times I ordered. I have had parihuella (spell?) stew which I love.
yeah its called Parihuela. Its my dad's favorite soup. And yes we love seafood. My favorite is Jalea which is mixed fried seafood including fish, shrimp, and calamari and topped with a slightly spicy salad of lime-marinated red onion, tomato, and cilantro which cuts through the grease amazingly in your mouth

Jalea
Old 01-09-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From the Mexican restaurant thread, i'm a big fan of lomo saltado. Love chaufa as well. Random, but i'm also really fond of Inca Cola
Old 01-09-19, 01:35 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The jalea looks great, although I don't remember seeing it on a menu. I'll ask for it next time.
Old 01-09-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, a lot of that stuff looks great. Are there many Peruvian dishes that have a Japanese influence, due to the large amount of people of Japanese descent that live in Peru?
Old 01-10-19, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I want some Cuy! I hear guinea pig is delicious and that is on my bucket list to try. They also have a guinea pig festival in Peru every year.
yeah i heard is good but never tried it. Because my grandpa used to raise them, so every time I visited I would play with them, until one day, they became dinner ...
i was a kid so i didn't know their purpose yet...

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
From the Mexican restaurant thread, i'm a big fan of lomo saltado. Love chaufa as well. Random, but i'm also really fond of Inca Cola
Yeah me too. i make Lomo Saltado at home often and its as good as the restaurants
My dad is a Chaufa master and makes a huge pot when he does it. Although it has been a while since he has last made it.... gonna have to ask him to make it again one day
And my kids are addicted to Inca-Kola, we don't buy it often cause they go crazy over it.

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Wow, a lot of that stuff looks great. Are there many Peruvian dishes that have a Japanese influence, due to the large amount of people of Japanese descent that live in Peru?
Yes the peruvian Japanese fusion is called Nikkei. The most famous dishes from that fusion would be ceviche and tiradito. Here is a link that explains a little more

https://www.authenticfoodquest.com/n...uvian-cuisine/
Old 01-10-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a great episode of Huang's World where he goes to Peru and has a good discussion with a chef who does Japanese fusion. The dishes looked damn good.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video...4570014e075501
Old 01-10-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
yeah i heard is good but never tried it. Because my grandpa used to raise them, so every time I visited I would play with them, until one day, they became dinner ...
i was a kid so i didn't know their purpose yet...
My wife has eaten them while in Peru. IIRC, they pretty much taste like rabbit.

Old 01-10-19, 03:34 PM

yeah.... I had a rabbit as a pet too.....
Old 01-10-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post

Yes the peruvian Japanese fusion is called Nikkei. The most famous dishes from that fusion would be ceviche and tiradito. Here is a link that explains a little more

https://www.authenticfoodquest.com/n...uvian-cuisine/
Cool, thanks! The ceviche sounds especially delicious.
Old 01-10-19, 04:22 PM

There was a Peruvian restaurant just a few blocks from us that's supposed to be amazing but it was so expensive and I never went. I wish I'd tried it at least once, though, as it went out of business and now there's a BBQ joint there that's also supposed to be amazing but it's also really expensive. Maybe I just don't know how much good food is supposed to cost.
Old 01-10-19, 06:36 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Peruvian restaurants in my area are lower to mid-tier in prices ($$ in Yelp).
Old 01-10-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just Yelped it and there's a little hole in the wall joint near by that serves Saltados and Rotisserie chickens. The Lomo Saltado dishes are about $12.99.