Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Meal Delivery Services

Old 01-05-19, 07:01 PM

Meal Delivery Services

Has anyone tried one of the meal delivery service like Blue Apron, or Hello fresh?
Old 01-05-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Meal Delivery Services

1/5 the cost...
Old 01-05-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-05-19, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Blue Apron is having difficulties like all the meal kit delivery companies, but they did sign on with Weight Watchers, which might be helpful for some. These companies won't be around for long, which is unfortunate, as many people could benefit from them but their business models are setup for failure and their customer service is to be desired.

The problem seems to be retention of loyal consumers (not sure why but possibly due to the many different promos for all of these companies, consumers jump from one deal to the next). One of the biggest complaints with Blue Apron...is everything is just tossed in a box that is not at its freshest (you're paying almost $400 a month here) and hopefully you want to prepare it, and second, this is the kicker, the ingredients have gotten worse. Many have commented they might as well just buy a Marie C. meal or Sara Lee due to the quality reduction. Another issue was being unable to cancel online, and you are forced to talk to a person to cancel your meal delivery--which is very inconvenient and time-consuming...and Blue Apron knows that. They plan on you not calling.

I'd recommend going to a Weight Watchers direct delivery, where the food is frozen (or near it depending on where you are), and is not going to spoil. The food isn't the best, but it could be ideal for those who want to lose weight and still need a meal prepared for them.
Old 01-05-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually subscribe to dinnerly.com. It's one of the cheapest, at $5 a serving. We get 3 meals (6 servings a week).
They are generally pretty easy to cook, as they limit the recipes to 6 ingredients (besides some staples they expect you to have, like oil, pepper, eggs, etc..). Most of it is pretty good, but there's been a few clunker recipes. If you know your way around spices, you can easily add a little flavor to some of the otherwise bland dishes.

I haven't had any issues with getting food that isn't fresh, and it's very easy to cancel (or skip weeks) via the website.
Old 01-05-19, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Blue Apron is having difficulties like all the meal kit delivery companies, but they did sign on with Weight Watchers, which might be helpful for some. These companies won't be around for long, which is unfortunate, as many people could benefit from them but their business models are setup for failure and their customer service is to be desired.

The problem seems to be retention of loyal consumers (not sure why but possibly due to the many different promos for all of these companies, consumers jump from one deal to the next). One of the biggest complaints with Blue Apron...is everything is just tossed in a box that is not at its freshest (you're paying almost $400 a month here) and hopefully you want to prepare it, and second, this is the kicker, the ingredients have gotten worse. Many have commented they might as well just buy a Marie C. meal or Sara Lee due to the quality reduction. Another issue was being unable to cancel online, and you are forced to talk to a person to cancel your meal delivery--which is very inconvenient and time-consuming...and Blue Apron knows that. They plan on you not calling.

I'd recommend going to a Weight Watchers direct delivery, where the food is frozen (or near it depending on where you are), and is not going to spoil. The food isn't the best, but it could be ideal for those who want to lose weight and still need a meal prepared for them.
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I actually subscribe to dinnerly.com. It's one of the cheapest, at $5 a serving. We get 3 meals (6 servings a week).
They are generally pretty easy to cook, as they limit the recipes to 6 ingredients (besides some staples they expect you to have, like oil, pepper, eggs, etc..). Most of it is pretty good, but there's been a few clunker recipes. If you know your way around spices, you can easily add a little flavor to some of the otherwise bland dishes.

I haven't had any issues with getting food that isn't fresh, and it's very easy to cancel (or skip weeks) via the website.

Thanks for the replies. I will look into both of these.
Old 01-05-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Marie Calllender's and Stouffer's will shut all of these lame companies down.

One can stock up on those frozen entries for $2 a meal by utilizing sales, *and* get better quality food, better quality ingredients, much longer shelf-life, and quicker preparation (what's faster than 3-4 minutes from microwave to meal?).

So, if I was an invalid, I'd either make sure someone got me a good variety of those frozen meals (on sale!), or (for 10x the cost!) hire a chef / cook who could prepare a weeks' worth of fresh meals at a time... Rotate thru the week, etc.

There's very little room in between...
Old 01-05-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We got Freshly for a little while due to them being super convenient. Unfortunately the trade off was that they ended up just being glorified TV dinners. There were a few decent tasting dishes but they all had a similar ďtasteĒ to them.

In the end we cancelled led because we just became really burned out on them fairly quickly to the point that weíd have them sitting in the fridge and choose to make something else instead, the Melís would then expire after a few days and weíd just have to toss them.
Old 01-06-19, 08:37 AM

What is the target demographic for these companies? If it’s not old timers not yet ready for the home, who is it? It’s not like we live an an era of Soylent Green. Fresh produce and proteins are available pretty much everywhere. Maybe it simplifies cooking for people who don’t have time/ want to learn, but google already has that information.
Old 01-06-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
What is the target demographic for these companies? If itís not old timers not yet ready for the home, who is it? Itís not like we live an an era of Soylent Green. Fresh produce and proteins are available pretty much everywhere. Maybe it simplifies cooking for people who donít have time/ want to learn, but google already has that information.
One of the things I like about it, is it perfectly gives you 2 servings worth of food. There are no left overs to fill up my fridge. I get a better idea of the size a portion is supposed to be. And it forces me into trying new recipies I would have never considered. If I was going to the store to buy dinner, it'd probably chicken, broccolli, and maybe instant mashed potatoes? I'd make slight variations of that for a week, get sick of it, and just start going back to fast food. Here's a small example of recipes I've made recently, that I would have NEVER EVER EVER thought of even trying on my own:

I think it's worth it. Eventually, I'll get to the point where I'm comfortable enough cooking (and shopping! knowing what to buy and how much at the supermarket is really important too) that I'll be able to do it myself.
Old 01-06-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My nieces used Hello Fresh for cooking projects, but they're teens, were learning, and their parents don't cook much. I could maybe see using those services if I had massive amounts of overtime, but even then, I'd probably come out ahead on my own.

Old 01-06-19, 11:53 AM

A friend uses Blue Apron. They really enjoy it. I think these services cater to people who normally find cooking stressful or difficult. Blue Apron provides you with everything you need and the directions right there. Seems silly to me, but I can see the convenience aspect of it. Some of the recipes are very unique as well and include very weird/hard to find ingredients. So there's a bit of an exotic meal aspect to it as well. Some of the stuff I've seen, I don't even know where you could buy it unless you lived in a very large city.
Old 01-06-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We tried Blue Apron for a couple of months and I enjoyed it. Good variety of food and recipes. Problem was we have two youngish (at that time 6 and 8) kids and the meals weren't something they would want to eat. Didn't want to make two separate dinners with limited time we have to prepare meals. May revisit in a few years when kids are older if these services are still around
Old 01-06-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tried Hello Fresh, didn't like it for a variety of reasons. Every meal seemed to cause some type of 'this tastes funny' comment with my family The produce was mixed, some good some bad, and portion size was on the small side.

If you are picky in any way, don't try them. If you are a big eater, don't try them.

If you like random tastes and like to experiment, go for it

The only way you will know if it works for you is to try it, so sign up under a deal and go for it, that is basically what we did.

A few years back we did Let's Dish in store and that was better for us IMO but got too expensive
https://www.letsdish.com/how/
I notice that the one we once went to is now closed, so others must have thought the same way
Old 01-06-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too much competition in this field it seems. Publix (our local grocery chain) does their own "cook at home" meals which is pretty solid and reasonably priced, and then there are a ton of locally sourced / cooked / freshly made meal delivery services (for healthy food) in most cities as well.

As for the target, it's for people that just don't have time to hit the grocery store or aren't experienced cooks. It's convenient but being on a schedule with them becomes a problem, if you choose to eat our or have a work trip.
Old 01-06-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My wife signed us up for Marley Spoon, which is Martha Stewart's version. It was ok, not too bad. It's handy since she's pregnant and doesn't always have the urge to cook, which i'm sure will be even worse as we approach the baby due date, and for me as someone that doesn't normally cook I have the recipe and all the ingredients I need right there to prepare something.
Old 01-07-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I made this from dinnerly.com last night. It was so good! I'm talking OLIVE GARDEN good here, people!!!

Old 01-07-19, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I made this from dinnerly.com last night. It was so good! I'm talking OLIVE GARDEN good here, people!!!

Man, that does look good.
Old 01-07-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did Blue Apron for a few months a couple years back (so if there have been recent quality issues, we didn't see that). My wife and I both can cook, but it was nice to not have to meal plan or shop. The food and meals were decent quality. Our biggest issues were the expense and the cooking, it was actually kind of stressful!

Overall, I wouldn't say "go for it" but I wouldn't say "don't do it!" either.
Old 01-07-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's what the recipes look like on dinnerly.com. They don't send you recipe cards, so you have to read them off the web or their app.
Spoiler:

This is for the creamy sausage pasta I just posted a pic of. I added some heavy cream and extra parm when I made it.
Old 01-07-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
1/5 the cost...
That's what zyzzle would s...

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
...or (for 10x the cost!) hire a chef / cook who could prepare a weeks' worth of fresh meals at a time.
Whoa!
Old 01-07-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Itís not like we live an an era of Soylent Green.
Old 01-07-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the target demographic for these companies? If itís not old timers not yet ready for the home, who is it? Itís not like we live an an era of Soylent Green. Fresh produce and proteins are available pretty much everywhere. Maybe it simplifies cooking for people who donít have time/ want to learn, but google already has that information.
It's for busy people/families who don't have the time to always run out for ingredients. I like to cook, but I'm not going to the super market on a Monday evening because I need parsley or lemons. It's awfully convenient to have those things mailed to you and even better that you get exactly how much you need, with nothing going to waste.

The wife and I go back and forth with Plated. We'll do it for a few weeks and then take a break for a few weeks. We stopped it before Thanksgiving knowing that the next month would be littered with left overs and friends coming into town and wanting to go out. We'll probably start it up again soon.
Old 01-07-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We did Hello Fresh's Vegetarian meals and each meal with fuckin' awesome. I couldn't believe how good they were. That said, the portions are shit if you like to eat, have more than 2 to feed,, or are a big dude/gal. Price wise, it's probably on the lower end but I'm not sure. They do seem to always have Specials though so that may help. When I did look up these Meal Prep services some of them were very expensive.. Hello Fresh tries to offer ORGANIC items when they can but that's not always possible. For some folks Organic is important..

Also, years ago my ex-wife got me a Gift Certificate for Susan's Healthy Gourmet...which I just found out closed it's doors 11/2018... and they were good too. I mention them only because their meals just needed a reheat as opposed to being fully prepped and cooked. So that could be a consideration if any company offers that...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-07-19 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We did Blue Apron quite some time ago and it was good. The big issue was the meals were involved to make for just the two of us.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.