Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Old 01-05-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Happy New Year! What are your goals for fitness and health this year?

I started intermittent fasting and lost about 30lbs in 2018. I'm shooting for 20-30 more. As of 1/2/19 I modified the 16hr IF and have now upped it to 18hrs. My eating window is now from 2pm-8pm.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 01-05-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I had a rough year. Think it was hang over from a very bad personal year in 2017 (divorce and injury). But I realize I’ve done so well overall by having no excuses. Sooo...time to me to get to it.

Overall I’m still down 70 lbs. but have gained 20 lbs in the last 18 months or so. Combination of poor eating and excercising much less (only got in about 500 running miles in 2018 instead of my goal of 1,000 and much less lifting.)

Im at 205 now. I consider my “normal” weight 185. I have been as low as 173. 10-12 years ago when I started my better health journey I was 275 and a couch potato.

My “immediate” weight loss goal is get back below 200. Goal 2 will be to get to 193, and then back down to 183.

Workout wise, get back to consistently working out 45-60 min a day and a long run on weekend. This includes consistently running 4 days a week and walking and/or weights 2-3 days a week.

I have ave finished my home gym to mak it easier when I’m home (I trav l a lot).still have 2 gym memberships. So nothing I need.
Old 01-05-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Early 2018 I was 205. In the spring I did a variation of IF making sure I was limiting calories, limiting carbs and not eating 3 hours before bed or within 4 to 5 hours of waking. I lost a good 33 to hit 172. A week later I went on vacation and gained 10 lbs. in 6 days. Although we had some wine with dinners there was only one day where we had frozen drinks by the pool. Other meals were typical. I tried to focus on protein and never went back for seconds. When I got back I continually climbed right back to 198. In the fall I again got serious and dropped to 175. I gained a few back, then went to Florida for a wedding. With what I had gained plus the 5 or 6 I gained in 4 days at the wedding I was back to 185. Christmas got me up to 192 again. I started back to being careful and am 190.4 this morning. Obviously losing is pretty easy for me. Unfortunately so is gaining. Several consultants at both Jenny Craig and Dr. Matt Custom Fat Loss have commented they have never seen someone who can store calories like I can. Yeah for me. As soon as I am taken out of my routine my body just hoards calories and stores fat. I try to be careful but sometimes you have to eat what is there. Instead of a rehearsal dinner they had in informal reception the first night. Nothing but carbs, fried food and fried carbs.

My daughter who is vegan has the self control to not eat if she is somewhere where there isn't anything she can eat. I do not have that willpower.
Old 01-05-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I had a rough year. Think it was hang over from a very bad personal year in 2017 (divorce and injury). But I realize Iíve done so well overall by having no excuses. Sooo...time to me to get to it.

Overall Iím still down 70 lbs. but have gained 20 lbs in the last 18 months or so. Combination of poor eating and excercising much less (only got in about 500 running miles in 2018 instead of my goal of 1,000 and much less lifting.)

Im at 205 now. I consider my ďnormalĒ weight 185. I have been as low as 173. 10-12 years ago when I started my better health journey I was 275 and a couch potato.

My ďimmediateĒ weight loss goal is get back below 200. Goal 2 will be to get to 193, and then back down to 183.

Workout wise, get back to consistently working out 45-60 min a day and a long run on weekend. This includes consistently running 4 days a week and walking and/or weights 2-3 days a week.

I have ave finished my home gym to mak it easier when Iím home (I trav l a lot).still have 2 gym memberships. So nothing I need.
You ever think of Intermittent Fasting? Since you're active as hell, you'd shave off that weight in no time. The first 1-2 weeks are the hardest, not by much, but then it's smooth sailing afterwards.
Old 01-05-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You ever think of Intermittent Fasting? Since you're active as hell, you'd shave off that weight in no time. The first 1-2 weeks are the hardest, not by much, but then it's smooth sailing afterwards.
I found it pretty easy during the week right from the get go. I get up and instead of eating breakfast I make a good lunch, usually fish or meat and a salad. No fatty dressings. Grapeseed oil which is a healthy fat and apple cider vinegar. A sensible dinner. I usually have 2 snacks, one around 10am and another mid afternoon. Weekends are tougher. I have to find something to do right away or I want to eat breakfast just out of boredom. In the evening on Fridays and Saturdays I am staying up later and watching movies so it is easy to start craving popcorn or salty snacks.
Old 01-05-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I found it pretty easy during the week right from the get go. I get up and instead of eating breakfast I make a good lunch, usually fish or meat and a salad. No fatty dressings. Grapeseed oil which is a healthy fat and apple cider vinegar. A sensible dinner. I usually have 2 snacks, one around 10am and another mid afternoon. Weekends are tougher. I have to find something to do right away or I want to eat breakfast just out of boredom. In the evening on Fridays and Saturdays I am staying up later and watching movies so it is easy to start craving popcorn or salty snacks.

I had a bit of a learning curve in the beginning, because I was seguing from a slow-carb diet into the keto/IF one. I don't snack as much and if I do I incorporate the snack as part of the meal during my eating window. Snacks will spike up your insulin and it will take you longer to reach ketosis. It'll defeat the purpose of the fast. I use avocado oil, butter, lard, ghee, and olive oil for cooking. I don't count calories - but my macros are tweaked to 60% fats/ 30% protein/ carbs 10%.

Have you thought of upping the fat content in your meals to stop you from eating snacks or overeating on weekends? The ACV is great. I have one of those daily with mixed with a lime and water. I also drink black coffee.

I know folks that are on a keto diet but don't do IF at all and I can see that it's not working out in terms of weight loss, because they still overeat even if it's keto. It's like when you see a fat vegetarian. They're "grazing" all day, which continues to spike insulin and they never reach ketosis.
Old 01-05-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i have not. And honestly, have not read much about. Can you post a link?

Ive always lost weight simply by counting calories on an app. When I was at 275 I stared by just reducing intake. Then later did smart swaps to have better quality.
Old 01-05-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i have not. And honestly, have not read much about. Can you post a link?

Ive always lost weight simply by counting calories on an app. When I was at 275 I stared by just reducing intake. Then later did smart swaps to have better quality.

These two clips should get you started.
Old 01-05-19, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-05-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you thought of upping the fat content in your meals to stop you from eating snacks or overeating on weekends? The ACV is great. I have one of those daily with mixed with a lime and water. I also drink black coffee.
We were allowed fats as long as they were healthy fats. Avocado oil, grapeseed oil, full fat yogurt, full fat cottage cheese are a few of the healthy fats. Lower fat versions usually have higher sugars. Veggies are OK as long as no butters or unhealthy oils. Fruits stick to berries, oranges, apples in that order. No bananas or grapes.

I was having black coffee in the morning with a dash of oil, that was allowed. The mid-morning orange is frowned upon but I was still able to lose weight so I kept doing it.
Old 01-05-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last summer I tipped the scales at 320. I gave up deserts and sodas and dropped about 15 pounds. Last October I started ideal protein and as of yesterday down to 253.6. My goal is 196. It is nice fitting into old clothes. I am 6ft 3.
Old 01-05-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Have to agree with Why So Blu? Those two videos break it down to the essentials really well. I also recommend a stopwatch app on your phone/desktop pc to track your fasting time. It's also something to concentrate on as a mental goal and you feel pretty good after the 16hr counts down and you tell yourself to go another hour or so before breaking the fast and/or doing a quick workout.

Biggest issue is making sure you don't ingest anything that could spike your insulin levels. That will screw up your weight loss goals so much, so quickly. Something I learned.

Think of this as you want to make a large deposit from a bank (i.e., you want to withdrawal all that fat from a section of cells), without getting the attention of the 100 guards surrounding that bank that know you want in, and are just waiting for you to do something to get their attention. You can walk in the bank with no issues, but if you decide you have to take that simple sugar drink or whatever, they will all pounce on you and take you out. Once you ingest sugar, even the sugar-replacements, your insulin levels will still respond like it was real sugar, so it's not that sugar is bad when you fast...it's that ANYTHING is bad for your fast that will entice your system into thinking you are ingesting something sweet. I think Stevia is the only way to combat this like the video mentioned. But even then, this could depend on the person.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-05-19 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I use the ZERO app, which keeps track of my fasting start/stop times.
Old 01-05-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a rough year. Think it was hang over from a very bad personal year in 2017 (divorce and injury). But I realize Iíve done so well overall by having no excuses. Sooo...time to me to get to it.

Overall Iím still down 70 lbs. but have gained 20 lbs in the last 18 months or so. Combination of poor eating and excercising much less (only got in about 500 running miles in 2018 instead of my goal of 1,000 and much less lifting.)

Im at 205 now. I consider my ďnormalĒ weight 185. I have been as low as 173. 10-12 years ago when I started my better health journey I was 275 and a couch potato.

My ďimmediateĒ weight loss goal is get back below 200. Goal 2 will be to get to 193, and then back down to 183.

I have ave finished my home gym to mak it easier when Iím home (I trav l a lot).still have 2 gym memberships. So nothing I need.
Jeez...we sound almost identical. What is your height out of curiosity?

I have heard about IF but never wanted to try it as I just don't know if I can do it. When I skip two meals or go very thin on calorie intake, I tend to get really bad headaches, nauseous (and feeling I might faint) and pretty cranky so I never have considered it. I will watch the videos posted and see what I think.
Old 01-05-19, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Jeez...we sound almost identical. What is your height out of curiosity?

I have heard about IF but never wanted to try it as I just don't know if I can do it. When I skip two meals or go very thin on calorie intake, I tend to get really bad headaches, nauseous (and feeling I might faint) and pretty cranky so I never have considered it. I will watch the videos posted and see what I think.
Im 5í10Ē. So 173 (my lowest) was probably closer to ďbookĒ weight. But I struggled at that weight. A PT talked me into gaining 10 and seemed to work really well for me,
Old 01-05-19, 11:19 PM

This is my year. I will need your help. I can do this.
Old 01-06-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know you guys donít want to hear this ... but this forum sort of screws with my productivity and weight loss goals. You think ďI donít have the timeĒ. But then youíre spending hours in here every day. Itís amazing how much I get done when I fast from this place.

My my best suggestion is more or less fasting and light daily cardio. Heavier workouts help. And Iíd love to get to that linebackers body type. But I lost the most doing that. And I donít obsess over timing. The main thing is to keep coffee and stimulants to a minimum. And donít eat after maybe 3 or 4 pm. I see that WSBs friend did the same thing.

Sometimes it itís sucks because I want to get some fish tacos or whatever in the evening. But even one time screws me up and kicks me out of that disciplined mode.
Old 01-06-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also: losing weight fucking sucks. Iíve been a fatty since I was a kid (somewhere around 10). I feel like I was just 10 years behind gyms and fitness normalizing and becoming a pop culture thing.

Iíll probably never have a presentable body. But I hope to build enough muscle while losing another 50 or 70 lbs, so that it looks halfway decent. And hoping for health and longevity.
Old 01-06-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also mostly fixed my acid reflux problems. I guess I had too much acid generation and it was tearing up my stomach and esophagus lining faster than it could heal. Keto diet and no spicy stuff has been helping a lot. And a generic med is fixing it. I honestly thought I might have been having a heart problem because of the squeezing and nauseous feelings it caused long term (years).
Old 01-06-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I know you guys donít want to hear this ... but this forum sort of screws with my productivity and weight loss goals. You think ďI donít have the timeĒ. But then youíre spending hours in here every day. Itís amazing how much I get done when I fast from this place.

My my best suggestion is more or less fasting and light daily cardio. Heavier workouts help. And Iíd love to get to that linebackers body type. But I lost the most doing that. And I donít obsess over timing. The main thing is to keep coffee and stimulants to a minimum. And donít eat after maybe 3 or 4 pm. I see that WSBs friend did the same thing.

Sometimes it itís sucks because I want to get some fish tacos or whatever in the evening. But even one time screws me up and kicks me out of that disciplined mode.

Yeah, I usually stop by 8 or so. Sometimes by 7. The reason being that you'll be asleep for most of the fast anyway and it's in your sleep where you're going to lose the most weight in. I know that if some folks were to stop eating too early in the day, that may cause them to break the fast by snacking. Snacking tends to be the killer, because each time you snack you have to start over again in trying to get your body back into ketosis. Snacking continuously spikes up insulin and that's one of the big issues with folks and weight gain.

Old 01-06-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and since I still drink, I've limited my intake of wine and beer since those screw you up more in general than hard liquor due to the higher sugar content. With that being said, I still drink booze but I also make sure that the booze is being drank with my meal or serves as the only thing that'll be partaking of - typically towards the end of my eating window. The good news is since that I stop eating/drinking by 8pm, I don't wake up hungover anymore - or very rarely do.
Old 01-06-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Started 2018 at 153 lbs (I'm 5'7") and ended at 138. Right now I'm hovering between 138-140. Exercise almost every day, usually 60-90 minutes, but sometimes as little as 20-30 minutes. I have a knee injury from a few years ago so that limits what I can do cardio-wise, so now I focus more on weights and yoga. Maybe once or twice a week I'll do 30 minutes on an elliptical.

The main difference, I think, is that I've cut way down on snacks between meals. Other than that, I mostly eat what I want. My clothes fit way better and overall I have more energy and feel more positive.

About 10 years ago I was at 134 lbs, so it would be great to get down there again for 2019, maybe even as low as 130.
Old 01-06-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh. Getting back to ketosis sucks. Just last week it was so frigid out that I got a hot large coffee for a few days instead of my normal small iced coffee. Say whatever you want. But the shift killed my ketogenic state. And now the past two days Iíve been feeling nauseated with a throbbing headache. It peaked yesterday. I hope that means it is almost over. They call it the Keto Flu. It is real and feels terrible.

Even though I donít do sugar, coffee has a big influence on whether or not I reach ketosis. As I understand it, if your body has any ďtemporary energyĒ to pull from(whether carbs sugar or caffeine) it wonít make the shift. I really want to cut out coffee completely. But I make too many mistakes and feel so tired when I do. I lose my wit and sharpness when I donít have a morning coffee.
Old 01-06-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that's why with my current IF, I changed it a little to allow for later eating, such as 12-8pm.

Also: losing weight fucking sucks. Iíve been a fatty since I was a kid (somewhere around 10). I feel like I was just 10 years behind gyms and fitness normalizing and becoming a pop culture thing.

Iíll probably never have a presentable body. But I hope to build enough muscle while losing another 50 or 70 lbs, so that it looks halfway decent. And hoping for health and longevity.
It'll happen. Just slow steps.
Old 01-06-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
It'll happen. Just slow steps.
Maybe. Iíve got extra skin. Went from 390 to 320. Want to go down to 230 or 250 with a lot of muscle. Iíve always been strong and stocky from the kind of work I do. Never too self conscious about it. But itís there. Iíll definitely have to do skin removal surgery if I ever want to look my best. But not sure if itís worth it. I think about it ... a lot.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.