Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Old 03-29-19, 06:34 AM
  #126  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 18,008
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Your ancestors must have been legends with their super energy efficient bodies
A lot of the people on my father's side were large people. 300 pounders. My sister had gastric bypass surgery when she hit 300. My father was more like me. He topped out low 200's but that was still big for him. Like me about 5'9" My mothers side not so much. No real biggies. As a youth I was the type that could eat anything I wanted and not gain. 150 through high school, 170's through college.

I topped at 199.2 but got really serious severely limiting calories, carbs and time of day. Down to 193.2 this AM.

I had to work court last night and those are usually tough. If I eat before, I end up being hungry and eating again. If I don't eat before, by the time I get out I'm famished and wolf it down. I ate just before I left and resisted the urge for anything after.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 01:00 AM
  #127  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,502
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread




I am now able to fit in most of my "normal" pants, but my belt is still half a notch away from where I was last summer. I would like to lose another inch. My diet got derailed in part because ice cream went on clearance at my supermarket, and I bought like 22 quarts. All eaten now.
wearetheborg is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 10:45 AM
  #128  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,876
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Yeah, I normally gain almost 20 pounds during the winter, to lose it by early June, but since it's been so cold for so long here this year, I've gotten a late start with getting back in shape (I need it to be HOT exercise and eat less). I'm already getting there, but I'm a good month behind my typical schedule of getting into summer shape.
slop101 is offline  
Old 06-12-19, 11:03 AM
  #129  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 8,672
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I bought a bike a few weeks ago and I love it. I'm a very big guy so I had to pay a little extra to get a steel frame and ultimately I'm happy with the ride. It's a Breezer Doppler Cafe and it's been a lot of fun to try it out. Been going out around 3 times per week at least and I'm working on building up courage and stamina. Courage, in that hearing all those cars coming up behind you is intimidating. Stamina, in that I've been pretty sedentary. I start a new job in July and for several logistical purposes I'll need to drive the 5 minutes there, and the goal is to be able to do the 10-minute bike commute starting this fall as many days of the week as possible.

Anyone else a big guy on a bike?
story is offline  
Old 06-12-19, 01:39 PM
  #130  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,391
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by story View Post
I bought a bike a few weeks ago and I love it. I'm a very big guy so I had to pay a little extra to get a steel frame and ultimately I'm happy with the ride. It's a Breezer Doppler Cafe and it's been a lot of fun to try it out. Been going out around 3 times per week at least and I'm working on building up courage and stamina. Courage, in that hearing all those cars coming up behind you is intimidating. Stamina, in that I've been pretty sedentary. I start a new job in July and for several logistical purposes I'll need to drive the 5 minutes there, and the goal is to be able to do the 10-minute bike commute starting this fall as many days of the week as possible.

Anyone else a big guy on a bike?
I was before. It hurts my butt so much. Biggest problem. The first few trips to work were so brutal on my cardio. Stamina builds pretty quick. But I still prefer cardio machines over jogging or cycling. Hiking is fun too but there are only so many places to go in Phoenix. And heat stroke is bad for health.

I got an Airdyne for home. But wish I got an elliptical.
Troy Stiffler is offline  
Old 06-12-19, 03:32 PM
  #131  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,490
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Just a medium guy, but I love biking and I think it's great for bigger guys. You'll already have some serious leg muscles, so it'll just be a matter of getting your cardiovascular system in shape, which will take a little time.

I'm not really that into biking in traffic, so I try to stick to trails, which my city has plenty of, but a nice tail light definitely couldn't hurt. I always ride with one on while I'm getting to the trail system.
GoVegan is offline  
Old 06-28-19, 03:01 PM
  #132  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,616
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

We used to have a Fitbit group for dvdtalk, but Fitbit changed the way they do groups. I think the only way to do it now is to create challenges and invite people via email. Anyone know differently? Or want to start a challenge group? I’m in a weekly and weekend group with some people on another forum, and am finding the challenges very motivating. I was walking maybe 5k steps a day before them, but now average at least 10k.
Trevor is offline  
Old 06-28-19, 03:26 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,323
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I have a Fitbit Versa and would be interested in joining up but I know nothing about the groups.

I have been lazy lately and just eating a lot of crap. Had gotten down to 189 a month or so ago but jumped back up to 195. My girlfriend has decided to do Weight Watchers and after her telling me all about it and the new zero points thing, I decided to give it a shot.

Just started Monday and have been following it pretty well with my food intake, their app and my Fitbit. So far I feel much better and don't feel really deprived yet...I can eat some of the same stuff, I just can't stuff my face with it all every day like I have been doing the last several months.

I want to get down to the 170 to 175 range. So 20 lbs. is my initial goal. I plan to exercise as usual (the only thing that has kept me from ballooning past 200 these last several months) and stick to it. Tired of my gut and love handles. The rest of me looks fine except for those two (three) damn things.

I will see how it goes but I think the option of doing something new and not just doing the myfitnesspal calorie count has rejuvenated my interest in getting this shit done.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 09:19 PM
  #134  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,676
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
My girlfriend has decided to do Weight Watchers and after her telling me all about it and the new zero points thing, I decided to give it a shot.
I hope it works out for you. How many points did they give you? As long as you have a reasonable amount of points, it's pretty easy to follow.

I got back on Weight Watchers this week. I wanted to start earlier this year, but I kept putting it off. I get a lot of points, so I don't mind it too much. Unfortunately, the things I have to cut out are beer and sugar, which are my two favorite food groups.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 06:14 AM
  #135  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,272
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I know Other can be vicious sometimes but this thread has always been tender I'm at 232 lbs or so. Currently 9 weeks along on baby #2. My issue is binge eating which I had under control before I met my husband (5 years ago) but haven't been able to get under control since (boys are bad for you, I tell yah). I used to be 113 lbs (which is still a healthy BMI, I'm not that tall) and was a runner and triathlete. So I can't really go crazy with the exercise. Unfortunately I haven't been able to not go crazy with the food. Just looking for inspiration sigh
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 09:01 AM
  #136  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,867
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Well I lasted 2 days on keto. What a horrible fucking diet.
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 08:07 AM
  #137  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,391
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I know Other can be vicious sometimes but this thread has always been tender I'm at 232 lbs or so. Currently 9 weeks along on baby #2. My issue is binge eating which I had under control before I met my husband (5 years ago) but haven't been able to get under control since (boys are bad for you, I tell yah). I used to be 113 lbs (which is still a healthy BMI, I'm not that tall) and was a runner and triathlete. So I can't really go crazy with the exercise. Unfortunately I haven't been able to not go crazy with the food. Just looking for inspiration sigh
Don’t give in, because that isn’t healthy. But you’re basically describing what every mom goes through.
Troy Stiffler is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 08:43 AM
  #138  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,982
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I've had plantar fasciitis for the last few months and my gainz have gone to shit.
RichC2 is online now  
Old 09-11-19, 09:52 AM
  #139  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,948
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Well I lasted 2 days on keto. What a horrible fucking diet.
I've been keto for almost 1 1/2 years. Lost 25 pounds. It's no longer a "diet" for me, it's just how I eat. I am maintaining or losing slightly with no effort. I'm fully fat adapted so I can occasionally eat carbs and quickly switch between burning carbs and burning fat.

It is a hard diet to adjust to, for one the food choices go against everything you've been trained to eat. That's really hard, plus, the first 1-2 weeks are physically tough as many people experience the "keto flu", where the sudden starving your body of carbs can make you feel shitty.

If you're done with it, no sweat, but if you'd like any advice for a second attempt, post up or PM me.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 11:34 AM
  #140  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,867
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
If you're done with it, no sweat, but if you'd like any advice for a second attempt, post up or PM me.
I'm just too picky of an eater. I've gone through entire lists of "50 great keto lunch ideas" type sites, and find maybe only 1 or 2 things I would ever consider eating, and they require too much cooking. I think I'm going to try more realistic goals like "go to the gym, and eat less fast food" for a while before I try anything drastic like keto again.
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 04:43 PM
  #141  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,816
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I'm just too picky of an eater. I've gone through entire lists of "50 great keto lunch ideas" type sites, and find maybe only 1 or 2 things I would ever consider eating, and they require too much cooking. I think I'm going to try more realistic goals like "go to the gym, and eat less fast food" for a while before I try anything drastic like keto again.
A couple years back in this thread all of us came up with the perfect diet. Works 100% of the time. For everyone. And it’s simple,

Eat Less, Move More

If you really look at most diets, they are finding ways to help you eat less and move more. Diets like WW use a point system so you don’t have to count calories.

One thing that I have gotten away from (but now getting back to) is non-exercise activity. It can be easy to think “I worked out 45 min today, I’m good”. But if you add a couple 10 min walks to take a break, or walk a couple flights of stairs, and park at the farthest spot from the door can really add up in a day, week, month.

Ive moved my formal exercising to as early in the morning as possible. This way I feel good about a nice base I have. But then work on adding to it the rest of the day.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 11:54 PM
  #142  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,272
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post


Don’t give in, because that isn’t healthy. But you’re basically describing what every mom goes through.
This made me feel better thanks

And the kid has eating issues and at 16 months we syringe feed her Pediasure while trying to get her to eat a variety of solids, so we spend 6-7.5 hours a day on feeding her (we had her in a therapy place and insurance ran out and we're transitioning to the state's Early Intervention program and we just have to Pediasure while all the therapy kicks in). So I get home from work at 6a and have 45 minutes to eat something before I have to get her food ready and her up, and that's also my housework time to take out the trash, do bills, etc. 7a to 11a is 2-3 hours of feeding and some floor time. Then mom takes over and I usually get to bed at noon and up at 7p, then get ready for work and leave. Fridays are doing errands like oil changes, market, etc, Saturday I watch her all day while husband catches up with work, Sunday up at 6a and do my regular 7a-11a routine. That's my week, week after week.

The hubs wakes up around 7, goes to work, then gets home and takes over from mom and does 6-10p or so. Works most of the day saturday and takes over watching the baby. Some more work or housework sunday.

So both our schedules look pretty much the same, flipped.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-12-19 at 12:01 AM.
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 12:31 AM
  #143  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,876
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I need to lose a good 15 to 20 pounds. I'm still exercising, but I'm having a bitch of a time eating less. This same consistent exercise will help me keep the weight off, but I need to lose it first through diet - rather, not eating so damn much (also less/no beer)!
slop101 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 09:38 AM
  #144  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,948
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post


A couple years back in this thread all of us came up with the perfect diet. Works 100% of the time. For everyone. And it’s simple,

Eat Less, Move More

If you really look at most diets, they are finding ways to help you eat less and move more. Diets like WW use a point system so you don’t have to count calories.

One thing that I have gotten away from (but now getting back to) is non-exercise activity. It can be easy to think “I worked out 45 min today, I’m good”. But if you add a couple 10 min walks to take a break, or walk a couple flights of stairs, and park at the farthest spot from the door can really add up in a day, week, month.

Ive moved my formal exercising to as early in the morning as possible. This way I feel good about a nice base I have. But then work on adding to it the rest of the day.
Totally agree with all of this. I will say that the keto diet is a little different because the goal isn't to track calories or even eat less calories than you burn, the goal is the state of ketosis. But being in ketosis is a natural appetite suppressant so the end result is that you eat less calories than you burn.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 03:04 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,816
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Totally agree with all of this. I will say that the keto diet is a little different because the goal isn't to track calories or even eat less calories than you burn, the goal is the state of ketosis. But being in ketosis is a natural appetite suppressant so the end result is that you eat less calories than you burn.
Yes, that is my understanding as well.

My “red flag” goes up whenever I hear someone say “oh on this diet you can eat all you want and not gain weight”. I’m in the camp that if your goal is to drop lbs off your body, you have to have a calorie deficit. Does that mean you MUST count calories? No of course not. Does that mean you have to burn 500 (or whatever number) in exercise? Nope. There are many, many ways to get to a calorie deficit. IMO you have to find the one that works for you.

I also want to repeat, just losing weight is not an automatic guarantee of better health. There is no set weight that means you will be healthy. You can be healthy at a wide variety of weights. If you want an indicator, generally speaking, percentage of body fat is a better indicator of overall health.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 03:49 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,876
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

This article is a year old, but it is really good, very thorough (and really long), basically saying how obesity and weight loss isn't as simple as just being calorie deficient.

Everything You Know About Obesity Is Wrong
For decades, the medical community has ignored mountains of evidence to wage a cruel and futile war on fat people, poisoning public perception and ruining millions of lives.
It’s time for a new paradigm.
slop101 is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 06:07 AM
  #147  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,816
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
This article is a year old, but it is really good, very thorough (and really long), basically saying how obesity and weight loss isn't as simple as just being calorie deficient.
Everything You Know About Obesity Is Wrong
For decades, the medical community has ignored mountains of evidence to wage a cruel and futile war on fat people, poisoning public perception and ruining millions of lives.
It’s time for a new paradigm.
That is a good article. Thanks for posting.

I agree with the article. But I didn’t see anywhere in it that having a calorie deficit isn’t needed to lose weight. What the article seemed to spend much of its time on was fat shaming. And how we set people up for failure.

In this forum it is quick and easy to say “eat less, move more”. But for most people they need more than that. “Eat a salad” is a quip, not at all helpful, even if eating a salad over a burger is the “right” thing to do.

The article notes, that people that have support are most successful. It mentions people that have 12 or more sessions with a nutritionist have the most success. Yet insurance companies only pay for a session or two. Clearly people who go to these sessions aren’t losing weight just by attending.

The article also mentions size does not equal health. Something I’ve been saying for a long time. I’ve mentioned if “your” a couch people and 15 lbs over weight, you would do better for your health by taking up regular exercise than by losing that 15lbs. That is born out by the article talking about school kids. When given more exercise and movement activities, they didn’t necessarily lose weight. But improved in others areas.

Ive hit a bit of a rut the last 2 years. I’ve gained 25lbs. Still 60 down. But I’ve never stopped exercising. So at the Dr’s office, everything is not only good, but excellent. They typically run my cholesterol test twice. It’s so good, they are shocked (12 years ago I was on cholesterol medication).

The article is right. Most diets don’t work. But they don’t work because people don’t stick to them. When people do stick to them, most any “diet” does work. So it’s how do we get people to stick to them? That’s what the article is talking about. And fat shaming, quips from Dr’s, media, guilting, are not how to have people be successful.

It’s also about having healthy goals and attitudes. I’m comfortable in the fact that I’ll never be on the cover of GQ. I don’t want that. But I want to be able to run 6 miles at a pop or train up to a half. Go on 4-6 hour hikes in rougher terrain. These are things I enjoy.

We we also need to question if every “overweight” person needs to lose weight. This pressure could be worse than anything with the weight, mentally and physically.

Also wanted to throw in that BMI calculators are garbage. They were designed for a population, not individual. And originally designed for insurance companies, who guess what? Want to make money.



Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-17-19 at 06:15 AM.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 10:08 AM
  #148  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,876
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Yeah, "diets" alone don't work - not for the long term, because once people lose their weight, they kinda give up. You need to do something in order to keep the weight off - it's not as tough as getting the weight off, but it has it's own challenges. Also, if you were overweight, you have to work exponentially harder to keep the weight off than someone who was never overweight, as you body keeps wanting to get back to that original state.
slop101 is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 03:53 PM
  #149  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,816
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, "diets" alone don't work - not for the long term, because once people lose their weight, they kinda give up. You need to do something in order to keep the weight off - it's not as tough as getting the weight off, but it has it's own challenges. Also, if you were overweight, you have to work exponentially harder to keep the weight off than someone who was never overweight, as you body keeps wanting to get back to that original state.
I haven’t ordered his book, but one of the people involved in the National Weight Loss registry feels strongly that exercise is a key part of keeping weight off. Exercise being more important to maintaining weight loss than losing it.

Also found this study that also referencesthe mentioned registry,

ABSTRACT

There is a general perception that almost no one succeeds in long-term maintenance of weight loss. However, research has shown that ≈20% of overweight individuals are successful at long-term weight loss when defined as losing at least 10% of initial body weight and maintaining the loss for at least 1 y. The National Weight Control Registry provides information about the strategies used by successful weight loss maintainers to achieve and maintain long-term weight loss. National Weight Control Registry members have lost an average of 33 kg and maintained the loss for more than 5 y. To maintain their weight loss, members report engaging in high levels of physical activity (≈1 h/d), eating a low-calorie, low-fat diet, eating breakfast regularly, self-monitoring weight, and maintaining a consistent eating pattern across weekdays and weekends. Moreover, weight loss maintenance may get easier over time; after individuals have successfully maintained their weight loss for 2–5 y, the chance of longer-term success greatly increases. Continued adherence to diet and exercise strategies, low levels of depression and disinhibition, and medical triggers for weight loss are also associated with long-term success. National Weight Control Registry members provide evidence that long-term weight loss maintenance is possible and help identify the specific approaches associated with long-term success.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/82/1/222S/4863393

IMO one of the keys is being consistent in your approach (not having the pressure of being perfect) while understanding you won’t lose the weight in a consistent manner. When I was losing a lot of weight, I’d have to be careful not to get frustrated. One week I might lose 3 lbs and the next .50 lbs even tho I did exactly the same way.

Also learned that 3,500 calories = 1 pound is just a ball park guideline and not an absolute.



Sdallnct is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 04:08 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,948
Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Also learned that 3,500 calories = 1 pound is just a ball park guideline and not an absolute.
Science says otherwise.

But I get what you're saying. I weigh myself every morning. For 7 straight days, I had been around 163, with little variation; Sunday I was 162.4 (which was the farthest under it I had ever been). Monday morning? 165. WTF! I had gone mt biking on Sunday, and hadn't eaten out of the norm, but suddenly I'm up 2.6 lbs? You just have to learn to ignore all of that, and keep up with the program. And some definition of 3500 calories = 1 pound isn't useful for that type of analysis.

IMO, the only diet that will ever work is one that feels (and is) sustainable. If you're depriving yourself and feeling like this diet sucks but I just need to lose X pounds, you won't be successful. It's cliche, but the diet has to be a permanent lifestyle change, which means you have to be ok eating whatever way forever.
LurkerDan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.