Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Old 03-29-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Your ancestors must have been legends with their super energy efficient bodies
A lot of the people on my father's side were large people. 300 pounders. My sister had gastric bypass surgery when she hit 300. My father was more like me. He topped out low 200's but that was still big for him. Like me about 5'9" My mothers side not so much. No real biggies. As a youth I was the type that could eat anything I wanted and not gain. 150 through high school, 170's through college.

I topped at 199.2 but got really serious severely limiting calories, carbs and time of day. Down to 193.2 this AM.

I had to work court last night and those are usually tough. If I eat before, I end up being hungry and eating again. If I don't eat before, by the time I get out I'm famished and wolf it down. I ate just before I left and resisted the urge for anything after.
Old 06-11-19, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am now able to fit in most of my "normal" pants, but my belt is still half a notch away from where I was last summer. I would like to lose another inch. My diet got derailed in part because ice cream went on clearance at my supermarket, and I bought like 22 quarts. All eaten now.
Old 06-11-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I normally gain almost 20 pounds during the winter, to lose it by early June, but since it's been so cold for so long here this year, I've gotten a late start with getting back in shape (I need it to be HOT exercise and eat less). I'm already getting there, but I'm a good month behind my typical schedule of getting into summer shape.
Old 06-12-19, 11:03 AM

I bought a bike a few weeks ago and I love it. I'm a very big guy so I had to pay a little extra to get a steel frame and ultimately I'm happy with the ride. It's a Breezer Doppler Cafe and it's been a lot of fun to try it out. Been going out around 3 times per week at least and I'm working on building up courage and stamina. Courage, in that hearing all those cars coming up behind you is intimidating. Stamina, in that I've been pretty sedentary. I start a new job in July and for several logistical purposes I'll need to drive the 5 minutes there, and the goal is to be able to do the 10-minute bike commute starting this fall as many days of the week as possible.

Anyone else a big guy on a bike?
Old 06-12-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
I bought a bike a few weeks ago and I love it. I'm a very big guy so I had to pay a little extra to get a steel frame and ultimately I'm happy with the ride. It's a Breezer Doppler Cafe and it's been a lot of fun to try it out. Been going out around 3 times per week at least and I'm working on building up courage and stamina. Courage, in that hearing all those cars coming up behind you is intimidating. Stamina, in that I've been pretty sedentary. I start a new job in July and for several logistical purposes I'll need to drive the 5 minutes there, and the goal is to be able to do the 10-minute bike commute starting this fall as many days of the week as possible.

Anyone else a big guy on a bike?
I was before. It hurts my butt so much. Biggest problem. The first few trips to work were so brutal on my cardio. Stamina builds pretty quick. But I still prefer cardio machines over jogging or cycling. Hiking is fun too but there are only so many places to go in Phoenix. And heat stroke is bad for health.

I got an Airdyne for home. But wish I got an elliptical.
Old 06-12-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a medium guy, but I love biking and I think it's great for bigger guys. You'll already have some serious leg muscles, so it'll just be a matter of getting your cardiovascular system in shape, which will take a little time.

I'm not really that into biking in traffic, so I try to stick to trails, which my city has plenty of, but a nice tail light definitely couldn't hurt. I always ride with one on while I'm getting to the trail system.