Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Old 02-28-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You said you were on keto and emphasized protein. I was just adding that if you add more protein than fat to the diet then you're not on keto.
I was talking about how we provide meals to our kid (in response to a question about that); most people don't emphasize the amount of healthy fat they are feeding their non-keto child (or everything that they're eating when the question is what they're feeding their child). I didn't think I needed to mention how the foods we cook are with a healthy amount of butter/oil, how I manage to incorporate healthy fats, how we're not eating lean chicken breast or other lean meats, etc. Did you even notice that I have been on the diet for 10 months? Not every time that keto comes up do people have to discuss every facet of the diet just to satisfy the keto police.
Old 02-28-19, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
I ate one and a half boxes of dark chocolate oreos over the weekend. Felt good eating it.
Now I feel bad
Been there. You can try again, we believe in you.
Old 02-28-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
My first...and last selfie. I've lost 30# with ten more to go. I've been speed-walking daily between three to seven miles and keeping to a 1200 calorie per day diet. Today I walked ten miles from Torrance to the Manhattan Beach Pier and back. I carried Merry's heavy drysuit on my shoulders for eight of the ten miles.
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I can't get my cals down to 1200, I want to so badly.

Nice work!
The results are aswesome.

From a generality, 1,200 calorie intake seems awfully low for a man. Especially doing regular excise.. As a general caution, I wouldnít recommend that low for a man without being under a doctors supervision.

When I want to really lose weight I usually focus on 2,000-2,200 calories. My typical workout will burn 450-600 calories. And if I go for run of anything over 5.5-6 miles even more. But I find if I cut to much, it becomes counter helpful. I donít have the energy and it takes longer to recover.

Old 02-28-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't recover well on low calories diets which is counter intuitive to my weight lifting.
Old 02-28-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't recover well on low calories diets which is counter intuitive to my weight lifting.
Yea that weight lifting is a whole other beast. Of course it depends on you goals of lifting but if you trying to add real muscle, it’s exceedingly difficult on a low calorie diet.

My 25 year old daughter is more into lifting than I am. But she is up to about 3,000 calories intake (all super clean including meal prep). But she works out 2+ hours a day and is lifting “heavy” to gain muscle. And doesn’t mind if that add pounds on a scale, so long as it’s muscle. She is a PT.
Old 02-28-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That was me on the left before my diet. I have a lot more energy than I did then. I'm within ten pounds of my goal weight. I plan to eat enough calories after that to maintain my weight.
Old 02-28-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Max, you look way younger, as well.
Old 03-01-19, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post

That was me on the left before my diet. I have a lot more energy than I did then. I'm within ten pounds of my goal weight. I plan to eat enough calories after that to maintain my weight.
That dude looks like your dad!
Old 03-01-19, 01:20 PM

No, that's my friend Kevin. He's Korean.
Old 03-05-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My ex-brother in law had a stroke a couple weeks ago. Expected to fully recover with time and rehab. He is my age, and their initial thought is it happened because he stopped taking his BP meds. He is fit, active and not overweight.

It had had me reading the articles about Luke Perry (couple yeas younger than me). So as most of us in this thread want to be in better health, I thought I’d post. While this is to help prevent strokes, seems like good advise for overall better health.

“Smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, obesity and other cardiovascular diseases put people at greater risk for stroke, the heart association said. Avoiding diets with high calories, lots of saturated fat, trans fat and sodium can reduce the risk, as can getting 150 minutes of activity each week, the association said.”
Old 03-14-19, 07:10 PM

Has anyone here done DDP Yoga? I've been thinking about trying the online membership.
Old 03-15-19, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Five straight days 1400 - 1500 calories, good lean protein; fish and poultry, only healthy carbs and fats. Didn't eat at least 3 hours before bed or four after waking up. 196, 197, 197, 197, 196. Well that helped.

I did the low calorie twice last year losing 30 the first time and 25 the second. It was weird. I had no cravings or hunger even if I only had 800 calories. I was taking nutritional supplements but no hunger suppressors. I would have a coffee in the morning but that was it for caffeine. You're only allowed to be on it for 40 days though. The problem I had was once I started to ramp up the calories the weight went right back on. Even at 2000 a day I was adding 1 - 2 pounds a day. Two stints at Jenny Craig and two stints at Custom Fat Loss. Both said the same thing. Even my Dr. They have never seen anyone who stores calories the way I do. Yeah!! I win!

I told the story of last spring. We went on vacation. We are not big drinkers but we did have some drinks and one day drinks by the pool. For meals I would try to stick with the proteins and away from carbs. One helping only. I was up 10 lbs. in 5 days. Within a couple months I had gained the 30 back. In November after having lost 25, we went to an out of town wedding. Up 5 in 3 days.
Old 03-15-19, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Five straight days 1400 - 1500 calories, good lean protein; fish and poultry, only healthy carbs and fats. Didn't eat at least 3 hours before bed or four after waking up. 196, 197, 197, 197, 196. Well that helped.

I did the low calorie twice last year losing 30 the first time and 25 the second. It was weird. I had no cravings or hunger even if I only had 800 calories. I was taking nutritional supplements but no hunger suppressors. I would have a coffee in the morning but that was it for caffeine. You're only allowed to be on it for 40 days though. The problem I had was once I started to ramp up the calories the weight went right back on. Even at 2000 a day I was adding 1 - 2 pounds a day. Two stints at Jenny Craig and two stints at Custom Fat Loss. Both said the same thing. Even my Dr. They have never seen anyone who stores calories the way I do. Yeah!! I win!

I told the story of last spring. We went on vacation. We are not big drinkers but we did have some drinks and one day drinks by the pool. For meals I would try to stick with the proteins and away from carbs. One helping only. I was up 10 lbs. in 5 days. Within a couple months I had gained the 30 back. In November after having lost 25, we went to an out of town wedding. Up 5 in 3 days.
Have you tried some HIIT and lifting?

I seem to recall some some issues with running. But u can do HIIT on a bike, rower, or even elliptical.

And if you gaining weight, eating low calorie, why not lift and make what your adding muscle?
Old 03-15-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep heavier and heavier. I'm AT my heaviest. Have the husband, the kid, full-time work, college part time for career change, and I just can't make time for working out. And even if I did, I'm just too exhausted. I sleep 5-6 hours a day as it is because if I didn't I'd never see the kid (10 months).
Old 03-15-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Have you tried some HIIT and lifting?

I seem to recall some some issues with running. But u can do HIIT on a bike, rower, or even elliptical.

And if you gaining weight, eating low calorie, why not lift and make what your adding muscle?
I do some lifting every morning. I was doing the elliptical but I had to take a break from that too. In November I had meniscus surgery and it has been slow to heal. Also during my PT, the guy had me do a balancing exercise which strained the ligament in my ankle. That put me in an ankle brace. So right now I am out of anything that resembles high intensity or impact.
Old 03-15-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I keep heavier and heavier. I'm AT my heaviest. Have the husband, the kid, full-time work, college part time for career change, and I just can't make time for working out. And even if I did, I'm just too exhausted. I sleep 5-6 hours a day as it is because if I didn't I'd never see the kid (10 months).
See, I told you boys are bad for your health It's a tough juggle but make sure you are delegating. My wife will complain about having to do everything. But when I try to do something, I apparently do it wrong. Make up your mind. Even if the bed isn't exactly how you like it. Or the dishwasher is loaded wrong, resist the urge to correct and let him do stuff. If you are doing something and need help, ask for help. You'll always be the primary caregiver, but that doesn't mean you can't get all the help you need.

My wife always wanted to take flying lessons. One year I bought her some for her birthday. She refused them saying she didn't have time. I assured her I would take good care of the kids for the hour or two per week she would be lessoning. Nope. Rather be the martyr. We are now 60, the kids are grown and moved out, still no lessons and I haven't brought them up since.
Old 03-15-19, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
People usually interpret working out as going to a gym, putting an hour in, or something similar. That does eat up time. However, if you remove all the overhead, then you can make time. Go for a walk for 20 minutes. Work up to a speed walk to get the heart rate up. Take the kid in the stroller with you. better exercise with the pushing. Once you have built up some leg strength, some squats at home.
Old 03-15-19, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post

Your ancestors must have been legends with their super energy efficient bodies
Old 03-15-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very low cal is working for me. I just walk around hungry all day. And then go to sleep hungry. And wake up hungry.

I'm currently my lightest since around 2008. I'm hoping to drop another 50. Probably in the next few months.

This state is the only way I've ever lost weight in my life. It's hard to subscribe to the thing where you eat 2000 calories of "good" food to keep your metabolism going. That's what people say you should do. But it never worked for me.
Old 03-15-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have not stepped foot in a gym after doing keto/intermittent fasting last summer and I still dropped a lot of weight off. The cool part is that what you have left redistributes itself across your body, so you take on a healthier and more solid visage. The good fat from the foods you eat along with the build up of growth hormone and the fat that you already have in your system act as the primary fuel sources for you. That's also why you don't need carbs for fuel.

I'm sure I'll hit the weights at some point soon, but there's really no hurry.
Old 03-15-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I have not stepped foot in a gym after doing keto/intermittent fasting last summer and I still dropped a lot of weight off. The cool part is that what you have left redistributes itself across your body, so you take on a healthier and more solid visage. The good fat from the foods you eat along with the build up of growth hormone and the fat that you already have in your system act as the primary fuel sources for you. That's also why you don't need carbs for fuel.

I'm sure I'll hit the weights at some point soon, but there's really no hurry.
Just keep in mind that exercise is not really about weight loss. Itís about better health that diet cannot provide.

Sure exercise assists with weight loss, but thatís a side benefit.

At the most most basic level keep in mind the CDC recommendations. Minimum 5 days a week of exercise 30 minutes. Mix of cardio and resistance train for all healthy adults.
Old 03-18-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Went on my first run of the year (it's been cold, for So.Cal, and I only enjoy running in the heat), and my lungs are so out of shape, that a few hours later, it felt like I had smoked a pack of cigarettes!
Old 03-18-19, 05:47 PM

We had health screenings at work and my blood pressure was not good. I have started walking during my lunch break at work to try to help improve it. I'm essentially either commuting or at work from 11:30AM to 11:30PM. It's hard rushing around trying to get a work out in before or after work. Walking during my break has been my solution to that. I'm trying to get some exercise in whichever way I can and try to do some weight lifting and more cardio in on my days off.
Old 03-25-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This made me laugh...

Old 03-25-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I may just start lifting again. A new recreation center opened up nearby and they only charge $10 per month (I have to pre-pay for 6 months) but it is pimp. What's cool is that the last two days I used it, I was the only one in there. It's not in the greatest neighborhood but the lobby looks like the one from Cyberdine Systems in T2. The center itself is about a month old, too.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.