Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Old 02-21-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Biggest Loser 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I know it’s not a popular discussion, but I’m firmly in the camp of for only weight loss, the only thing that matters is calories in and calories out.

Now...for better health, quality of calories matter.

But from simple math, you can lose weight on a Oreo and ice cream diet. So long as you burn more calories than you take in. Can you maintain that? Is it healthy? Well that’s a different discussion.
Old 02-22-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't make it around these parts as much as I used to, but I started doing Keto on March 6, 2018 after a weekend of eating a ton of shitty food (not unlike pretty much every day before that) and I'd had enough of feeling like shit. Between the bulk I added over 3+ years going from a physical job to a desk job, paired with atrocious eating habits, I went from 250lbs. (2014) to very sobering 375lbs. (2018) - not only was I uncomfortable regularly, I stopped being social, I was constantly tired, taking naps pretty much every day, and I felt very clouded mentally.

First few weeks of keto were rough. I wasn't crabby, nor did I really feel like shit, but it was hard to break those habits, especially when I wasn't seeing the scale change much at all- I had committed to the idea that if I didn't see any change by the end of week three, I was going to blow it off and eat my way into an early grave, like an idiot.

Thankfully, I started to notice small changes, then the scale started dropping pretty dramatically each month. Later I paired my new eating habits with IF and OMAD, which is where I continued to see steady success. I did take a week long break for a trip to California over Thanksgiving, and I did my best to live it up, but honestly, a lot of the sugary food made me feel shit and was a quick reminder why I gave up a lot of that food.

Now, almost one year later, I'm down to 221lbs. and headed steadfast towards 200lbs... though weight loss has slowed, even after adjusting my caloric intake and macros, I'm fine with it. Once I hit that goal, I'm going to start folding in some weightlifting and light cardio. I don't intend to eat keto forever, but it's really helped me to develop a healthier relationship with food and will continue with it at least until I hit my goal.
Old 02-22-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that's fantastic!

What will you do once you stop the keto lifestyle? You shouldn't see keto as a diet but rather a lifestyle. I say that because if you see keto as a diet then you're in danger of going back to your bad eating habits.
Old 02-22-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is a lot of weight to lose in that time frame! Great job! Do you exercise? Did you see an improvement at the Doctors office?
Old 02-22-19, 04:49 PM

How do you all do these kind of diets with little kids in the house? Do you all eat the same thing? Make two meals? And how do you handle going out with friends or co-workers? I like the theories but trying to see the practical realities.
Old 02-23-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I know it’s not a popular discussion, but I’m firmly in the camp of for only weight loss, the only thing that matters is calories in and calories out.

Now...for better health, quality of calories matter.

But from simple math, you can lose weight on a Oreo and ice cream diet. So long as you burn more calories than you take in. Can you maintain that? Is it healthy? Well that’s a different discussion.
For strictly burning fat the quality of the calories do matter as well. For absolute weight loss, you're absolutely right. Depends on your goals.

I don't think Keto is a good overall lifestyle, but it is a great way to get weight off. I think the trap most people fall into is not realizing that "diet mode" and "sustain" mode are only a few hundred calories apart -- we tend to go back to thinking we can eat whatever, whenever and not have it destroy what we worked so hard for.
Old 02-23-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
For strictly burning fat the quality of the calories do matter as well. For absolute weight loss, you're absolutely right. Depends on your goals.

I don't think Keto is a good overall lifestyle, but it is a great way to get weight off. I think the trap most people fall into is not realizing that "diet mode" and "sustain" mode are only a few hundred calories apart -- we tend to go back to thinking we can eat whatever, whenever and not have it destroy what we worked so hard for.
Exactly. And itís something I had to learn. Ive told the story many a time. When I initially started losing weight, I just cut calories. I ate exactly the same things (fast food and junk) and did very little exercise. I lost 40-50 lbs. yet it changed nothing at the Drís office. I still had extremely high BP, cholesterol and resting heart rate.

I started serious exercise and things improved almost overnight. Then I started doing smart swaps (turkey sandwich instead of cheeseburger) and things improved even more.

Some tend to think that losing weight will automatically mean better health. That is not at all true. I often say they run parallel. There are plenty of unhealthy people at a ďnormalĒ weight. There is even a name for it, ďnormal weight obesityĒ. Meaning they have all the same issues as an obese person, but are normal weight.

The point, as you have made, what are your goals? If itís health, then you can be healthy at a huge range of weight (many world class athletes can be labeled obese). Of course there is zero wrong with losing weight AND being healthy. Just donít think one automatically means the other.

Iím actually to the point that I think exercise is more important than food quality (within reason). But thatís another discussion
Old 02-23-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't fully agree it's necessarily more important, but do agree exercise is undoubtably the closest thing we have to a "magic pill", and as cliche as it is: we weren't built for our sedentary lifestyles.

Try going on a zero veggie high carb and meat diet ttho it's legitamately painful. Fucking gout

Last edited by RichC2; 02-23-19 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't fully agree it's necessarily more important, but do agree exercise is undoubtably the closest thing we have to a "magic pill", and as cliche as it is: we weren't built for our sedentary lifestyles.

Try going on a zero veggie high carb and meat diet ttho it's legitamately painful.
Or the ďfountain of youthĒ.

Not only am I no longer on any cholesterol meds, but my cholesterol is so good, they run it twice to be sure accurate. My good cholesterol is so high, my Dr is amazed. And the higher the more actively it prevents heart issues. And no amount of tofu or roasted chicken would do that, Even this last check up where Iíve clearly gained weight, everything is fantastic as ive not stopped the exercise.

Old 02-24-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Keto is a great lifestyle if intermittent fasting is incorporated. That's an awesome 1-2 punch.

Old 02-24-19, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Problem with carbs is they make me hungrier and hungrier. The idea of eating 2000 calories a day without a keto ish diet is impossible. Once you get away from that addiction itís easier to be disciplined. Itís a bad cycle of hunger and cravings.

I also have a problem eating pretty much any processed foods. Stick to produce, meats, and fresh food from the grocery store. Stay away from the middle isles.

I gave vitamins a bad rap before. I found out I had a serious stomach acid problem. Back to munching on vitamins a few times a day.

Also helps that Iím dating a girl about 1/3 my size. Forces good diet decisions.
Old 02-24-19, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Also helps that Iím dating a girl about 1/3 my size.

Old 02-24-19, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Haha. No. Iím just a fatass.
Old 02-25-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
How do you all do these kind of diets with little kids in the house? Do you all eat the same thing? Make two meals? And how do you handle going out with friends or co-workers? I like the theories but trying to see the practical realities.
Good question. My wife and I have been keto for 10 months, we have an 8 year old daughter. She is most certainly NOT keto. But it hasn't been hard, most of our meals include a protein and veggies (and usually some cauliflower rice or "mashed potatoes"). Kiddo eats the protein, sometimes the veggies, and we make her something like pasta or rice or a baked potato. Hasn't been that hard. So we don't make two meals, but we do end up making an extra "dish" for her. But honestly, that was the case pre-keto, as she's a kid and doesn't want to eat all the stuff we do and we don't force her.

As for going out, that's generally not hard, unless we go to a really ethnic place. Though I do end up eating a lot of salad+protein at restaurants (which most "normal" restaurants have). The real challenge has come on group trips, say to a backcountry hut or rafting trip. It's often hard to get people to accommodate our diet, but we've managed.
Old 02-25-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just keep in mind. You're not doing keto if your intake is high protein. Keto is high fat (healthy fats), moderate protein, low carb. High protein is Atkins.
Old 02-27-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else have this problem? I have been sick with a nasty cold for a little over a week. I can't taste any regular food. Therefore I've had tremendous cravings for real salty or real sweet foods. For the last two days I've eaten my salad for lunch. Even with the peppers, onions and fixins I could barely taste anything. I got done and ended up getting a portion of creamy shrimp. Not a big deal if once but I am way overconsuming calories trying to behave only to succumb to cravings. I can't recall ever having cravings this bad. I need real food and cold food sucks. I need nice warm food to feel satisfied.
Old 02-27-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Anyone else have this problem? I have been sick with a nasty cold for a little over a week. I can't taste any regular food. Therefore I've had tremendous cravings for real salty or real sweet foods. For the last two days I've eaten my salad for lunch. Even with the peppers, onions and fixins I could barely taste anything. I got done and ended up getting a portion of creamy shrimp. Not a big deal if once but I am way overconsuming calories trying to behave only to succumb to cravings. I can't recall ever having cravings this bad. I need real food and cold food sucks. I need nice warm food to feel satisfied.
Take some Daquil/Nyquil and that should clear you up. That's happened to me in the past, as well.
Old 02-27-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Just keep in mind. You're not doing keto if your intake is high protein. Keto is high fat (healthy fats), moderate protein, low carb. High protein is Atkins.
was that directed at me? weird comment, seems unrelated to anything anyone posted recently.
Old 02-27-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Take some Daquil/Nyquil and that should clear you up. That's happened to me in the past, as well.
I've been doing Nyquil at night and Mucinex 24 hours. I'm coughing up a lung and blowing my nose constantly. Getting better slowly but still pretty congested.
Old 02-27-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
was that directed at me? weird comment, seems unrelated to anything anyone posted recently.
You said you were on keto and emphasized protein. I was just adding that if you add more protein than fat to the diet then you're not on keto.
Old 02-27-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My first...and last selfie. I've lost 30# with ten more to go. I've been speed-walking daily between three to seven miles and keeping to a 1200 calorie per day diet. Today I walked ten miles from Torrance to the Manhattan Beach Pier and back. I carried Merry's heavy drysuit on my shoulders for eight of the ten miles.
Old 02-27-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Damn, that's impressive. I broke a sweat just reading that. That's a hardcore trek.
Old 02-27-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't get my cals down to 1200, I want to so badly.

Nice work!
Old 02-27-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My ex-wife managed Jenny Craig Centers. In my 40s I lost weight, but too much. My legs looked like tooth picks. I just turned 60 so I decided to get rid of the basketball I'd been carrying around under my shirt. I'm doing great. I began the diet the day after Christmas and haven't craved any bad foods. My goal is 210 pounds, the same as I weighed in my 20s when I played baseball and basketball nearly every day. I was shooting hoops last week and didn't get too winded, so I'm glad I decided to lose the fat.
Old 02-28-19, 01:53 AM

I ate one and a half boxes of dark chocolate oreos over the weekend. Felt good eating it.
Now I feel bad

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.