Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Is this fake?

Old 12-29-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this fake?

I can usually spot a fake a mile away but this looks and feels legit, did the money pen just not work because it was an oldie? Also those dashed lines at the top I have never seen in odd cut money before, not that I spend an inordinate amount of time looking at oddly cut money...
Old 12-29-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Is this fake?

Is there a pic? I cant see ahything
Old 12-29-18, 06:06 PM

Many years ago, I read that legitimate U.S. paper currency has tiny - but visible (upon close examination) little red & blue fibers embedded in the bill(s). Here's more info.:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/68643...paper-currency
Old 12-29-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pfft, of course it's fake, everyone knows that Grover Cleveland is on the five dollar bill.
Old 12-29-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Secretary of the Treasury in 1950 was John Wesley Snyder not Clarence Douglas Dillon (he was given the role in 1961)

So yep, fake.
Old 12-29-18, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Secretary of the Treasury in 1950 was John Wesley Snyder not Clarence Douglas Dillon (he was given the role in 1961)

So yep, fake.
The date of 1950 on the bill doesn't mean it was printed in 1950. Series C is correctly Dillon.
Old 12-29-18, 08:47 PM
Banned

One way to be sure is to shove it way up your ass.
Old 12-29-18, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Here's a certified bill:

Old 12-29-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
The date of 1950 on the bill doesn't mean it was printed in 1950. Series C is correctly Dillon.
Was wondering about the series there, ah well I tried. Seemed too obvious of an oversight.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-29-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One way to tell is to feel the suit (scratch it with your fingernail). It has a roughness to it that the rest of the picture doesn't.

But the crosshatching looks bad. I'd guess it's fake from your photo.
Old 12-29-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
One way to tell is to feel the suit (scratch it with your fingernail). It has a roughness to it that the rest of the picture doesn't.

But the crosshatching looks bad. I'd guess it's fake from your photo.
I didn't know that about the suit. I tried it on an old bill and it worked!

The cobwebs on the short borders look kind of soft, but that might be the photo. Does the bill feel like it's printed on good linen paper?
Old 12-29-18, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I didn't know that about the suit. I tried it on an old bill and it worked!
It works on new bills, too. It was one of the more reliable ways for me to gauge a bill when I was in retail. The pen/markers aren't always reliable because - as I found out - people can bleach a one dollar bill and print the image of a hundred on it - and the paper will "act" like it's real when marked with the pen.
Old 12-29-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But why go through all that trouble to fake an (old) $5 bill?

I thought counterfeiters deal mostly in $100s and $20s...

$100 in fives weighs twenty times as much as $100 in hundreds, but is it 20x easier to counterfeit? I'm not sure.
Old 12-29-18, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once got a counterfeit $10 back when I ran a cash register. I could tell because the feel of the paper was wrong.
Old 12-30-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmmph. Was expecting more boobs in this thread.

Old 12-31-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Take it to a bank and ask them...
Old 12-31-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I loved him as the Flash.
Old 12-31-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Take it to a bank and ask them...
Only drawback is if you take it to the bank and they check it and it is a fake, they'll have to confiscate it and report it to the Treasury. You won't be in trouble, but they will have to report that you ended up with it.

That said, you can just go to any office supply store and pick up a money marker pen to test it yourself. One like this.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-31-18, 10:59 AM

That's real, it's just a really old bill. I have a couple of 10s like that but they are in really bad condition. I like how they say "it is redeemable in lawful money" at the US Treasury. That's a carryover from the old Silver Certificates and Gold Certificates because gold & silver were considered real money.
Old 12-31-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
The pen/markers aren't always reliable because - as I found out - people can bleach a one dollar bill and print the image of a hundred on it - and the paper will "act" like it's real when marked with the pen.
It's not "acting" like real paper, it is real paper. All those counterfeit pens do is test the pH of the paper.
This book This book
tells the story of a counterfeiter who came up with a unique system: he found a certain type of very thin newsprint that had the same pH as Crane & Co. paper, so it would pass the pen test. He used a combination of inkjet and intaglio printing on three separate sheets - a front, a back, and a "middle" sheet that contained convincing prints of the watermark(s) and security threads. When the sheets were glued together with spray adhesive, they were almost perfect counterfeits. IIRC, he only got caught because he headed south, and the notes started falling apart in the southern humidity.

SIDE STORY: Although a counterfeiter, the guy in the linked book had a conscience. He would print $20,000 - $50,000 in $100 bills, and he had a gang he would drive to shopping malls to buy as much $10 or less stuff as they could to launder the money. The friends quickly ran out of cheap CDs, DVDs and other stuff they actually wanted, so the gang started tossing all the stuff in a dumpster. This bothered the counterfeiter, so he instructed his gang to start buying shampoo, deodorant, socks, and other things shelters might need. They'd then dump that stuff at homeless shelters and\or churches on the way out of town. They called it "merch for the church".

Also, although it's been briefly mentioned, unlike the dates on coins, the dates on bills only change when some part of the design changes. For decades, the Treasury considered signature changes to be "minor changes", so they just added a letter after the date, as seen in OP's bill: "Series 1950 C". In the 1970s, the Treasury scrapped that system, so now any time anything changes, the series changes too. But if nothing changes, the series won't change, regardless of date. There was a series of silver certificates that were printed from 1895 to 1919 (or so) that all had the 1899 date... because the bill didn't change the entire time it was issued.
Old 01-02-19, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I say it's legit. I'm with the earlier poster who asked who would go through all the trouble to counterfeit $5s?
Old 01-02-19, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
It's not "acting" like real paper, it is real paper. All those counterfeit pens do is test the pH of the paper. This book tells the story of a counterfeiter who came up with a unique system: he found a certain type of very thin newsprint that had the same pH as Crane & Co. paper, so it would pass the pen test. He used a combination of inkjet and intaglio printing on three separate sheets - a front, a back, and a "middle" sheet that contained convincing prints of the watermark(s) and security threads. When the sheets were glued together with spray adhesive, they were almost perfect counterfeits. IIRC, he only got caught because he headed south, and the notes started falling apart in the southern humidity.

SIDE STORY: Although a counterfeiter, the guy in the linked book had a conscience. He would print $20,000 - $50,000 in $100 bills, and he had a gang he would drive to shopping malls to buy as much $10 or less stuff as they could to launder the money. The friends quickly ran out of cheap CDs, DVDs and other stuff they actually wanted, so the gang started tossing all the stuff in a dumpster. This bothered the counterfeiter, so he instructed his gang to start buying shampoo, deodorant, socks, and other things shelters might need. They'd then dump that stuff at homeless shelters and\or churches on the way out of town. They called it "merch for the church".

Also, although it's been briefly mentioned, unlike the dates on coins, the dates on bills only change when some part of the design changes. For decades, the Treasury considered signature changes to be "minor changes", so they just added a letter after the date, as seen in OP's bill: "Series 1950 C". In the 1970s, the Treasury scrapped that system, so now any time anything changes, the series changes too. But if nothing changes, the series won't change, regardless of date. There was a series of silver certificates that were printed from 1895 to 1919 (or so) that all had the 1899 date... because the bill didn't change the entire time it was issued.
Adding machine paper actually passes the counterfiet pen test as well.
Old 01-02-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work for the Federal Reserve and it certainly looks suspect - especially in the irregularity of the "10"s.
Old 01-02-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Has the OP traveled recently. Particularly, south of Mexico.