Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boy Scouts of America considers Bankruptcy Filing in wake of

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-22-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not going dig up my thoughts from the previous Boy Scout thread, but its fucked up how the Boy Scouts might be considering bankruptcy due to hundreds of sexual abuse claims. I was never a Boy Scout, but they should have never caved to the far left and declining enrollment didn't help either.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/bo...tcy/index.html
The Boy Scouts of America is considering filing for bankruptcy, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

Boy Scouts leadership has hired the law firm Sidley Austin LLP for possible chapter 11 bankruptcy filing assistance, people familiar with the matter told the Wall Street Journal.
According to the newspaper, filing for bankruptcy would halt the many lawsuits the organization faces alleging inappropriate conduct by employees.
In a statement released Wednesday "in anticipation of news reports that will speculate about the BSA's financial position," the Boy Scouts said no immediate decisions are expected.

"We are working with experts to explore all options available to ensure that the local and national programming of the Boy Scout of America continues uninterrupted," Michael Surbaugh, chief scout executive, said in the statement.
"We have an important duty, and an incredible opportunity, to focus as an organization on keeping children safe, supported and protected, and preparing youth for their futures through our nation's foremost program of character development and values-based leadership training."
The statement acknowledged legal costs related to lawsuits against BSA alleging sexual or inappropriate conduct with boys.
"We believe (victims), we believe in fairly compensating them and we have paid for unlimited counseling, by a provider of their choice, regardless of the amount of time that has passed since an instance of abuse," the statement said.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-22-18 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Boy Scouts of America considers Bankruptcy Filing in wake of

I didn't complete the title, I was going to add "sexual abuse Claims" if the moderators want to fix it.
Old 12-22-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

So is caving to the left, or sexual abuse the issue here? Because it seems like the latter.
Old 12-22-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
So is caving to the left, or sexual abuse the issue here? Because it seems like the latter.
Old 12-22-18, 03:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

What does "caving to the far left" have anything to do with legal costs related to lawsuits against BSA alleging sexual or inappropriate conduct with boys?

In other words, what the fuck are you on about now?
Old 12-22-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The opposite of caving to the far left is raping little boys?
Old 12-22-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, I’m going with the angle that this has nothing whatsoever to do with Liberalism or Conservatism.

It has to do with not abusing children.

ETA: I assume that caving to the far left has to do with opening up the BSA to allowing girls to join, which I suppose might have been a last ditch attempt to save the organization, if anything.
Old 12-22-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I assumed he was talking about allowing gay men to be scout leaders, and then they all raped the little boys.
Old 12-22-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I meant for this to be about the potential of a bankruptcy filing due to declining enrollment, other factors I don’t agree with, and a potential #metoo problem for the organization. I don’t agree with the fact that the Boy Scouts can’t exist as they are meant to be but the Girl Scouts is just fine in today’s world. If you want to see me act crazy like I’m off my meds I can, I just thought this story might be noteworthy news.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-22-18 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Boy Scouts had every opportunity to save their name and reputation. Fortunately, they aren't as powerful as the Vatican, and can't hide behind billions of dollars of resistance.

However, the innocent Boy Scout employees should depart and form their own version.
Old 12-22-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, going to agree with DVDPolizei again ... this is getting unhealthy.

Yeah ... I’m going to say the issue has more to do with trying to cover up abuses when they happened and then allowing “leaders” to keep on leading. And by “leading” I mean fiddling little boys. May have something to do with that “holier than thou” attitude.
Old 12-22-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Yeah ... I’m going to say the issue has more to do with trying to cover up abuses when they happened and then allowing “leaders” to keep on leading. And by “leading” I mean fiddling little boys. May have something to do with that “holier than thou” attitude.
As long as the gays aren’t allowed in. You know, giving the Scouts a bad name and all.

Yep, the Boys Scouts have screwed up a lot over the last 20 years or so. Fuck ‘em if they go under.
Old 12-22-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If your organization relies on selling fifty dollar bags of popcorn to fund itself, your days are numbered.
Old 12-22-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I meant for this to be about the potential of a bankruptcy filing due to declining enrollment, other factors I don’t agree with, and a potential #metoo problem for the organization. I don’t agree with the fact that Boy Scouts can’t exist as they are meant to be but the Girl Scouts is just fine in today’s world. If you want to see me act crazy like I’m off my meds I can, I just thought this story might be noteworthy news.
It is, but try to be focused. Don’t bring a red pill to a gun fight.
Old 12-22-18, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Boy Scouts had every opportunity to save their name and reputation. Fortunately, they aren't as powerful as the Vatican, and can't hide behind billions of dollars of resistance.
Ooooo, he went there.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Damn, going to agree with DVDPolizei again ... this is getting unhealthy.

And I agree with both of you. All the attempted cover ups and BS have seriously tarnished their name. Personally, I'm disgusted and as a father I don't want my kids to have anything to do with the organization. Apparently I'm not alone.
Old 12-23-18, 06:49 AM

I was in the Boy Scouts for about 2 weeks in the 1980s. I quit because they required me to wear a beret. A BERET! ��

Last edited by slybone; 12-23-18 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 12-23-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slybone View Post
I was in the Boy Scouts for about 2 weeks in the 1980s. I quit because they required me to wear a beret. A BERET! ��
Are you sure you weren’t a Girl Scout?

Old 12-23-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If your organization relies on selling fifty dollar bags of popcorn to fund itself, your days are numbered.
This is one of the main issues. The Girl Scouts are only profitable due to the sales of their Girl Scout Cookies and the cross merchandising of the cookie flavor brand name into candies, ice cream, and other products. But how many people here have ever bought pop corn from the Boy Scouts or even knew they were selling it?
Old 12-23-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
This is one of the main issues. The Girl Scouts are only profitable due to the sales of their Girl Scout Cookies and the cross merchandising of the cookie flavor brand name into candies, ice cream, and other products. But how many people here have ever bought pop corn from the Boy Scouts or even knew they were selling it?

I bought my "duty" box of shitty popcorn when my son was a cub scout. But like everyone else, it was just doing my part. The popcorn sucks.
Old 12-23-18, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I bought one "Bag", the cheapest thing they were selling, when I was ambushed exiting a Lowe's store and they set up camp there. Now when I see them, I head over to Home Depot and vice versa.
Old 12-23-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I considered buying popcorn or something this year, but it was from a friend I rarely see, and it wouldn't have been convenient.
Old 12-23-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with those fundraisers is where the money actually goes. Corporate pockets, not day camps and field trips. Don't get me wrong, a small portion goes to the actual purpose, but it is a very small portion.

I quit buying Girl Scout cookies a few decades ago due to the petty way co-workers were acting over their daughters' sales. My wife has finally backed off the last few years since the price has gone through the roof and the quality has dropped.

My wife did buy some popcorn this year as one of our nephews is in Scouts (and his parents do little to support the kids' activities). If I'm approached anymore I will only buy from someone I know (no "doorway" sales at retailers), I typically just give the kid the donation instead of buying the product. I tell the adult to make sure the full amount goes toward the kid's goal -- don't buy the product with it. I doubt that actually happens though as I know those systems are not set up to support that.

In 2014, CBS Minnesota broke down the price of a box of cookies, which was then $4. They found that 27 percent of the cost — $1.08 — went into making, packaging, and shipping the cookies, 19 percent (76 cents) went toward the Girl Scouts' volunteer program, 15 percent (61 cents) went toward funding scout camps, 12 percent (49 cents) went into funding leadership programs, and 6 percent (22 cents) went into the coffers of local administration. That leaves only about 21 percent (84 cents) that goes directly to the troop.
https://www.mashed.com/58815/untold-...scout-cookies/

One funny Girl Scout cookie story though ... my employer takes part in a Home Show that I lead our participation in every year. The Girl Scouts ave been there with their cookie sales almost every year I have been there. A few years ago, when medical marijuana was legalized in Illinois, a company was there with a booth to provide education and promote awareness. They were right next to the Girl Scout cookie sales. Medical marijuana and the munchies ... one stop shop!

We're getting off track though ...

I never did Scouts growing up. I wanted to, but even at that young age I wasn't buying into the role of religion in it. One of my daughters did Brownies one year and my son tried Boy Scouts for about 6 months and I was excited to be a part of it. However, in both cases, the leaders involved had their heads so far up their own kids' asses and moving them through the ranks that they did nothing to encourage the participation of the new kids. My experience has been that the value is only as good as the local leaders. It's great in some places, but shitty in most.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 12-23-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-23-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m just spitballin’ here but maybe an organization that can’t support itself and is plauged by sexual abuse scandals shouldn’t be around anymore. Just a thought.
Old 12-23-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bluelitespecial, you make it substantially harder to root for you in the other thread when you post things like this. Scouting has been on the decline for decades. This has many factors, just about none of which is them choosing to be more inclusive. You vilifying the “far left” here has no basis in reality. If you think it is “far left” to want organizations that promote civic mindedness to also be inclusive, then you have a major distortion in understanding of the political spectrum. I say this as a former scout as well as someone that thinks anyone that wants to be a scout, because they believe in their mission and want to take part, should be able to.
Old 12-23-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best and most dedicated scoutmaster I was ever privileged to know was a gay man. He died in the mid nineties and was buried in his Eagle scout regalia. He was a fine man and I know he would never have laid a finger on a child. But he couldn't be out to the kids because God forbid they ever know there are gay people who aren't drag queens living in the Castro or the East Village.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.