Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Jury Duty for a very serious crime - Anyone have experience?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Jury Duty for a very serious crime - Anyone have experience?

Old 12-21-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Jury Duty for a very serious crime - Anyone have experience?

Before the burglary case I sat on they asked me several questions. I had two brothers who were in and out of prison all their lives. I had several dive buddies who were LAPD. I had my apartment burglarized while I slept just a few months before. I answered all the questions honestly and was selected. I was pretty surprised.
Old 12-21-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went in for jury duty about eight years ago but wasn't selected. I think it was a rape case but I don't remember exactly why I didn't get on the actual jury.
Old 12-21-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve been called almost yearly for the last 7 or 8 years. I’ve never made it to the final jury. Came close a couple of times though.

I’m also former law enforcement so I don’t imagine I’ll ever make it onto a jury in my lifetime.
Old 12-21-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I was on the jury for an attempted murder case. Defendant was obviously guilty but one juror was really dumb and took forever to convince what the definition of attempted murder was. She was also the juror who was almost always late getting back from a 1.5 hour lunch because she'd go shopping at Macys.
Id bet that she was receiving pay from her employer for her jury duty time and was trying to drag it out.
Old 12-21-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was called up for a murder case, but didn't make the first cut. This was when I was living in New Hampshire, and we didn't get more than one murder in two or three years.

A few years ago I was part of a jury pool. The state attorney was putting pressure on a gangster to plea. "We've got 70 people in the building ready to start jury selection. If you don't plea by 1 PM, we're going to trial." He plead out. According to the rumors in the courthouse building he was the real deal, a very scary person. I'm glad I didn't get stuck in that trial, because it would have taken frigging weeks.
Old 12-21-18, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I served two weeks on a jury for an attempted murder case.

Not Guilty.
In the legal sense or the DVDTalk sense of the term?

To my knowledge, I've never been called to jury duty. I could see me missing the letter but as far as I know, hasn't happened my whole life.
Old 12-21-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've only been on jury duty for a marijuana impaired driving case. Ultimately ended up being a hung jury (basically half guilty and half not guilty during deliberation). So we just gave up and said hung jury after two days.

A rookie prosecution lawyer getting this low profile case. I told my cousin and his wife (who are both lawyers), that they would have destroyed the rookie in the court room haha

Anyways, regarding the topic, I would do everything in my power to avoid high profile cases. I want no part of that, especially anything gang-related.
Old 12-21-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
In the legal sense or the DVDTalk sense of the term?

To my knowledge, I've never been called to jury duty. I could see me missing the letter but as far as I know, hasn't happened my whole life.
The way I hear it, if you never vote, you never get called. Do you vote?
Old 12-22-18, 12:22 AM

Twice for me.
The first time, it was for drug trafficking. Three days in the case was dismissed because the police didn’t follow proper procedure (chain of evidence, I think).
The second time, I was selected, but then they pulled me out because the place being sued for medical malpractice was my employer.

Apparently being married to a lawyer somehow makes me look like a good jury candidate. I’d be fine never having to go through it again, though.
Old 12-22-18, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just once. It was federal court, and some old guy was charged with growing marijuana.

They filled the jury before they interviewed me.

If they had gotten to me, I would have stated that I would refuse to convict someone for a victimless crime, which I consider marijuana use or possession to be. Just as I would refuse to convict someone for blasphemy, obscenity, flag burning, or miscegenation. (Granted, only one of those is currently illegal, but you get the point.)

(Which wasn’t a ploy to get out of jury duty, but the honest truth.)
Old 12-22-18, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Some jurisdictions use the driver's license records.
Old 12-22-18, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That's interesting. Do they excuse potential jurors from possible death penalty cases if they're morally opposed to the death penalty? I imagine that they do, but that of course skews the jury towards jurors more inclined to recommend the Death Penalty.
Yes, they would and do sometimes excuse people for their moral or religious objections. There were several people being considered for this rape/sodomy trial who said they could not sit in judgment of another person, and none of them were selected.
Old 12-22-18, 06:10 AM

So, this young man was acquitted of rape and sodomy about 36 hours ago and I was hoping to post a link here to the story that "clears" him, but it still doesn't appear to exist yet. Interesting considering that it should be big news in our little town of 10,000, yet so far the local media has been silent on it.
Old 12-22-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

when I was there last week (at least in MA) they said if you pay a bill, drive a car, not just vote in other words; you are in the database for potential service these days. of course he could be talking shit just so we don't feel penalized for being voters and selected for service....
Old 12-22-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only time I was ever called was 3 weeks after I had moved to another part of the state and was no longer eligible. I’ve never been called in my current county and I’ve been here almost 2 decades.

It is an experience I would like to have.

Just out of curiosity I looked up the process here:

How does the Jury Commission obtain names of prospective jurors?
The list of names that is used for jury service is created by a combined list of Sangamon County residents who hold a drivers license, voters registration card, state identification card, and/or a disabled persons identification card. Names are randomly selected from the master list.
Old 12-22-18, 02:10 PM

I've never gotten picked for jury duty, even though I've gotten called for this multiple times. I'm 100% honest in every single case; when they're conducting the voire dire process & start questioning everyone, I get extremely pissed off/outspoken/opinionated - even to the point of raising my voice. I liked the fact that this obviously made some people there uncomfortable.

One of my favorite experiences was when they were questioning the potential jurors on a medical malpractice case in which a doctor was being sued. One of the questions asked was if anyone ever had any negative issues with doctors/hospitals. I said I had multiple bad experiences with the medical industry, and that most doctors are evil criminals. I went on to say that most of them should be put in jail for the rest of their lives (or worse). I enjoyed seeing the expression(s) on the faces of the lawyers - they were obviously surprised that someone would be so outspoken.

So, I've never gotten selected

It's obvious that the justice system in this country (and other countries) is a big fucking joke. If you have money, you can get away with doing anything, including murder. If you're poor, however - you will go to jail for years for the same crimes. And, yes - I've stated this during the voire dire process. These scum-bags need to know that not everyone is a fucking sheep with the wool pulled over their eyes. Fucking assholes.

Last edited by TheDude; 12-29-18 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
I've been on two juries, once for theft and another for armed robbery. Both were hung juries. I can't imagine how you ever got 12 people to agree on this shit unless the evidence is air tight. And if it was, why wouldn't the defendant just make a plea deal?
I was on a jury for armed robbery in which we found the defendant guilty. It was a pretty easy case for the prosecution. A lot of evidence and the defendant testified on his own behalf and wasn't the least bit believable.

To Ben's point. My mother once served on a jury for a robbery case and they came up 11 - 1 in favor of guilt. She said the one that voted not guilty just couldn't in good conscience vote guilty if they didn't actually witness the person committing the crime. That person should have divulged that to the attorneys during the selection process and gotten out of it. If you're a witness, you won't be on the jury. If you need to be a witness to vote guilty, you won't be on the jury.
Old 12-22-18, 05:38 PM

I've had jury selection three times. The last time I was selected to be one of the potential jurists. I think there was maybe 25 left out of the 200 they had in that selection pool. My trial was for a statuatory rape case.

All the potential jurors were questioned in bulk to agree or disagree with the prosecutors statements. The first statement was: "Do you all agree that you can convict someone even if there is no physical evidence tying the suspect to the crime?". The second question was: "Do you all agree that you can convict someone even if the statements the victim and the witnesses gave the police will contradict what they testify to during court?". It didn't sound like they had a very convining case at all to convict.

After that, the prosecutor dismissed a few people and then the defense lawyer asked some questions and dismissed three people including me. I normally would not mind being on a jury, but I had things that had to be done that week that could not have been done if I was on the jury and it would have cost me a lot of money if I ended up on the jury that time, so I was glad to have been dismissed thaqt time.

I will say that while in just about every circumstance in this country it is illegal to discrimintate based on race, gender, age, nationality, etc., but it is alive and well when the prosecution and defense are making their jury selections. If the suspect is black, the defense wants all young black males on the jury. The prosecution wants white males preferably with southern accents. If its a rape trial with a male suspect, the defense wants all young males or men whose nationality comes from countries where they don't treat women as well. The prosecution wants all women on the jury.
Old 12-22-18, 05:57 PM

My next door neighbor was a social worker. She was a real "Kumbaya" type, who wanted to believe the world was filled with wonderful flower children. She sat on a murder trial once where the defendant was a gang member. Several witnesses testified that he shot a man on a sidewalk and ran away, still carrying the gun. His Mother testified that he was at home with her at the time of the murder. My neighbor and some of the other jurors believe he was guilty but voted not guilty because they didn't think his Mother would lie to protect him.

I guess that's why they say your fate is in the hands of twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.
Old 12-24-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I waited until my 30's to register to vote, and I've had 6 or 7 summons. None of them have resulted in me actually having to go to the courthouse. Either my number wasn't chosen, or all of the cases on that particular day were canceled.
Old 12-24-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I received a jury duty summons four times while a resident of Maryland but my lot number was only picked once (the first time). I was called into the selection process of only one trial (the accused had allegedly shot at another driver while driving on a highway and missed). The defense attorney used one of his (ample, under Maryland law) peremptory strikes on me as I was, at that time, a former LEO and a current NRA member. The NRA question during voir dire surprised me a little. I was a member as a shooting club I belonged to at the time mandated it. My recollection was that the defense attorney practically laughed when he struck me, as if to say, "no way in hell, your honor."

His loss. I am quite confident that I would be more objective than 95%+ of people who end up on juries.

I have never been summoned in Virginia, but I've only lived here for 2 1/2 years.
Old 12-24-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd probably never get past the prelim questioning (voir dire?). I have strong opinions and would definitely be outspoken if asked. They want good citizen sheep with no strong opinions about anything, I'm not that.
Old 12-24-18, 01:35 PM

I have very strong opinions but have sat on three juries. You never know what the attorneys are looking for. I believe that I can listen to evidence and decide fairly in spite of my feelings for the defendant, witnesses, attorneys or judge.
Old 12-29-18, 10:33 AM

I've been called three times, but luckily have never had to do it.
Old 12-29-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I have very strong opinions but have sat on three juries. You never know what the attorneys are looking for.
Yup, its not like they sit down with you and get to know you. You sit in a box and answer mostly yes or no questions. Now, if you were being considered for a capital murder trial, that's a bit different, but even then they only want your opinions about capital punishment.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.