DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Bird: The scooters suck thread

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...ithout-helmet/

September: A death is imminent
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...1.html%3famp=y

December: Looks like that prediction may come true:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.co...ng-police/amp/

These things are only for dorks. They are dangerous. They are litter. They are bad for the environment because they end up junked

(San Diego scraped 1000’s of ride share bicycles)

My city banned the companies from operating here. My only question is why all cities don’t do the same.
Old 12-15-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Bird: The scooters suck thread

Why cities don't do the same? Well, you're asking a question to a council of people across this nation who have an avid interest and capital interest in denying this should happen.

A more logical approach would be to buy unclaimed bicycles from the PD and use them as free transportation, but only in a designated area (i.e., you have to come to the damn bicycles and use them...they don't come knocking on your door).

I guarantee if you track the purchase of those scooters in San Diego, they will be related to those on a council that marketed the concept to the community as "necessary" and "better for our environment". In reality, it was just better for their personal bank accounts.
Old 12-15-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am in agreement they can be dangerous especially if riders are not following the rules, in Indianapolis they not allowed on the sidewalks for obvious reasons.
This video shows when a truck pulled out of a parking garage and hit a person riding a scooter.

Old 12-15-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The guy actually doesn't stop for traffic coming out of a parking lot? Hell, as a pedestrian, I always stop. Vehicles will almost always poke out of those places.

Just because I may have the law on my side...doesn't somehow create a Safety Zone Barrier around my body as I travel around the city, protecting me from harm.
Old 12-15-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they work fine for what they are, companies should be fined if they're left around like litter.

Any sort of transport or distraction will lead to fatalities, most cities still haven't banned headphones despite that.

What a waste of bicycles.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-15-18 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

California passed a law that says you don’t have to wear a helmet. That’s just crazy. These things go 25 mph.

Also, the businesses themselves are underhanded. My city has businesses that rent bikes, scooters, segues, etc. These businesses are licensed and are paying taxes. The scooter companies aren’t part of any community. They aren’t paying rent, they aren’t contributing to the tax base.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-15-18 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-15-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes that video inspired me to create this thread. Could you pick a worse place to attempt your first scooter ride?
Old 12-15-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's a real jerk on YouTube who hits a couple of pedestrians while he's running a red light, then blames them. He and his buddy then continue to ride on the sidewalk without helmets.
Old 12-15-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah they invaded here some months ago. Mods should add Lime to the thread title. Recently, Lime pulled it's scooters saying they are evaluating their launch.

Local free publication ran an interesting story on people who go around collecting them to charge them up at home. It's a real battle getting the ones you can get paid $20 for charge up. Some have had a gun pulled on them. Crazy shit.
Old 12-15-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Could you pick a worse place to attempt your first scooter ride?
It's like some people feel the world revolves around them and no one else. Welps having broken bones can change that high privilege mentality.

That lady in that video is a lunatic.
Old 12-15-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
There's a real jerk on YouTube who hits a couple of pedestrians while he's running a red light, then blames them. He and his buddy then continue to ride on the sidewalk without helmets.
People do that shit in cars too. And politics. And business. Most people are just fucking hopeless and are too stupid to tie their fucking shoelaces.

(Moving to pet peeves thread)
Old 12-15-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I havenít personally seen any problems with these around here. Would have used them when I was younger. Or when I went a couple years without a car as an adult.

I can see how itíd be people first introduction to being in control of a vehicle. And that feeling can complicate things when youíre buzzing around. Your focus is not in the right place.
Old 12-15-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bird exploded. I just saw bikes stationed down the street. Hey, Lime slept on it by only releasing them in Santa Monica. Lyft also has some of these out on the westside but Bird is fucking everywhere.
Old 12-15-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
She definitely should've been looking. That way she could've clotheslined the fuckwit for blowing through a red light and not stopping. Seriously, what an asshole. And who calls themselves 'Ice Poseidon?'
Old 12-16-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought they were fine when I used them in Paris.
Old 12-16-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
They are fine ... IF people use them responsibly and the companies act responsibly. Unfortunately, that is not happening.

It starts with the companies believing the rules donít apply to them because they are ďindustry disruptorsĒ. The business model started with Uber, AirBNB, and the likes. They come in, dump ďthe productĒ, and then claim they should have no responsibility, liability, or accountability.

Thenyou add irresponsible, uneducated consumers into the mix. Iím not saying people like that lady are stupid in life; Iím saying they donít have a clue about what laws and restrictions apply because the company does nothing to educate or vet its consumers. People see these things as toys and act accordingly.
Old 12-16-18, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
I am in agreement they can be dangerous especially if riders are not following the rules, in Indianapolis they not allowed on the sidewalks for obvious reasons.
This video shows when a truck pulled out of a parking garage and hit a person riding a scooter.

Iím going to put an equal amount of dumbassery on the truck driver for blowing right through the sidewalk. Granted, pedestrians donít move that fast, but he didnít seem to stop to check at all.
Old 12-16-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 12-16-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only became aware of this company because I recently reconnected with a Freshman suite mate of mine. He has the sort of Job experience list you think has to have been made up -- Senior Corporate Counsel Yahoo 2000-2006, You Tube Associate General Counsel 2006, Google Legal Director 2006-2013, Lyft VP Government Relations 2014-2015, Kitty Hawk (don't know that one) Chief Legal Officer 2016-2018 and now he's Chief Legal Officer of Bird. Only when I read that did I find out what Bird was. Looks like he has his work cut out for him. Since he just started there this year, I know he inherited a legal mess, but didn't create one.
We don't have them in Vegas, as far as I know. Thank god, because having hundreds of drunk Millennials wobbling up Andrew down the Strip is probably the only thing that could make that drive worse than it already is.
Old 12-16-18, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW : Those ride share bikes in SD -- I've rented them. You have to use your Credit card to unlock it and if you don't return them to a stand, you will be charged for the bike. How are thousands of them just discarded? Or are these vines different than those?
Old 12-17-18, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I’m going to put an equal amount of dumbassery on the truck driver for blowing right through the sidewalk. Granted, pedestrians don’t move that fast, but he didn’t seem to stop to check at all.
He was following the instructions of the guy directing traffic in the yellow T-shirt positioned in the street (left of the video).
Old 12-17-18, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These scooters are all over UM campus. I can't walk to a meeting two buildings over without six people buzzing by me on the damn things. At least the students seem to know how to operate them, but that confidence leads them to be going WAY too fast.
Old 12-17-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I bet the Parisian dude with a bike rental business who has a business license, pays rent, and pays taxes doesnít think itís fine.
Old 12-17-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
BTW : Those ride share bikes in SD -- I've rented them. You have to use your Credit card to unlock it and if you don't return them to a stand, you will be charged for the bike. How are thousands of them just discarded? Or are these vines different than those?
These were called Ofo. Theyíre a cagey Chinese company that wonít exactly come clean about why theyíve scaled back and scrapped most of their operations, but I suspect they lost the format war to scooters.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.