Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I have a question for those of you who are knowledgeable about cars.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-01-18, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Besides where the key goes and how to recline my seat, I know nothing about cars.

So to start off about 4 years ago I bought a used car that I didn't do my due diligence on. I basically bought a lemon. To make a long story short, the engine blew a few months ago and after doing some research I've discovered that putting a new engine in it would probably cost me about what I could sell it for. Or best case scenario I walk away with a grand.

It's a 2007 Mazda CX7. Aside from the fact that the engine is caput, it's pristine. Everything else is in great condition.

This is the car, just not mine:

My question is, how much should I try selling it for? I'm not sure if it would be used for parts or if someone would put an engine in it. Either way I don't know if I should list it for 150 bucks or 1500 bucks.

So if anyone has any advice, or just a better place to look for advice, it would be much appreciated.

Gracias
Old 12-01-18, 08:03 AM

Re: I have a question for those of you who are knowledgeable about cars.

I bought my latest vehicle at Enterprise Car sales and it was an excellent experience. They take trade-ins. They do an inspection and give you the top value of the KBB range. I got at least $1500 more out of my little 2007 Mazda5 than I would have at a dealer.

I wrote about the whole process in another car thread, I'd go to Enterprise any time, best car buying experience I've ever had.
Old 12-01-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the book value (KBB.com is the most common resource) and what is the cost to put the engine in it?

I’m guessing you don’t intend to make the repair and keep it.

Any chance you are near central IL? I’ve been looking for something like that for a work car.
Old 12-01-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a friend that did not know how to take care of cars, nor did he care too much. I think he had the oil changed in his Toyota 4 times in 100k miles. At about 120k miles (on his schedule the time for the 5th oil change, no joke) the engine seized. He paid about $4000 to have a shop swap in a working junk yard engine from a similar car that had about 65k miles on it

That vehicle is still running today with well over 200k on it and not many more unexpected repairs. He changes oil on time now
I would say if you can find a shop that does junk yard engine swaps, on a vehicle that is in great shape otherwise it is worth taking the chance.

Quick ebay search for 2007 cx7 engine I see many in the $2000 something dollar range to have a shop make the shop should be less than $1000

just a thought

or list it at blue book minus $3500
Old 12-01-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are probably Mazda forums. I would join up and ask there.
Old 12-01-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does it run at all? What state are you in?

In California you can retire any vehicle so long as it runs 10 yards. And meets some other requirements that your car probably meets. they will give you $1000, or $1500 if low income.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/VR_Requirements.pdf
Old 12-01-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just dump it for a low price.

You can check to see if there's an LKQ in your area. They're a glorified car junk yard. They'll stop by and pay you for it.
Old 12-01-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I had a friend that did not know how to take care of cars, nor did he care too much. I think he had the oil changed in his Toyota 4 times in 100k miles. At about 120k miles (on his schedule the time for the 5th oil change, no joke) the engine seized. He paid about $4000 to have a shop swap in a working junk yard engine from a similar car that had about 65k miles on it

That vehicle is still running today with well over 200k on it and not many more unexpected repairs. He changes oil on time now
I would say if you can find a shop that does junk yard engine swaps, on a vehicle that is in great shape otherwise it is worth taking the chance.

Quick ebay search for 2007 cx7 engine I see many in the $2000 something dollar range to have a shop make the shop should be less than $1000

just a thought

So i checked kbb and assuming base model in good condition and 120k miles, you are getting $2800-$5k private party.with a Mazda, I would assume lower end
Old 12-01-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
So i checked kbb and assuming base model in good condition and 120k miles, you are getting $2800-$5k private party.with a Mazda, I would assume lower end
If that's all a good one is worth, your car is scrap. It's almost ten years old, it doesn't have a fan club like Mustangs, and the engine is blown. The best you'll be able to do is to put it on Craigslist for $800 as a parts car roller.
Old 12-01-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
If that's all a good one is worth, your car is scrap. It's almost ten years old, it doesn't have a fan club like Mustangs, and the engine is blown. The best you'll be able to do is to put it on Craigslist for $800 as a parts car roller.
Yeah not really worth fixing if you can't do it yourself or have a really trusted mechanic.
Old 12-03-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check with a local auto recycler (they will quote you a cash price to pick it up). That's your minimum and advertise as mentioned above as a parts car for more than the recycler offer.
Old 12-05-18, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
I bought my latest vehicle at Enterprise Car sales and it was an excellent experience. They take trade-ins. They do an inspection and give you the top value of the KBB range. I got at least $1500 more out of my little 2007 Mazda5 than I would have at a dealer.

I wrote about the whole process in another car thread, I'd go to Enterprise any time, best car buying experience I've ever had.
Thanks for the tip. I tried searching for Enterprise Car Sales in Canada, but it appears to be a company only located in the USA.
Old 12-05-18, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
What is the book value (KBB.com is the most common resource) and what is the cost to put the engine in it?

Iím guessing you donít intend to make the repair and keep it.

Any chance you are near central IL? Iíve been looking for something like that for a work car.

The cheapest engine I could find that I thought was reliable was around $2300 USD. Which is $3100 Canadian. The cheapest person I could find to do the swap was a retired mechanic locally that still did jobs on the side. He quoted me $1000. Thats 4 grand. The blue book value at most is 5 grand. So its not really worth it.

I'm in Vancouver, B.C.
Old 12-05-18, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post

just a thought

Thanks. I could do all that and swap the engine, problem is, I could do all that and not make more than I would get selling it as is. Or worst case scenario break even or lose money.
Old 12-05-18, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Does it run at all? What state are you in?

In California you can retire any vehicle so long as it runs 10 yards. And meets some other requirements that your car probably meets. they will give you $1000, or $1500 if low income.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/VR_Requirements.pdf

It doesn't run at all, and I'm in Canada, but thanks for trying!
Old 12-05-18, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Yeah unless a mechanic buys it and wants to do the work himself I assume it's a parts car at this point. I just didn't know if I should list for 1000 bucks or 100 bucks. So maybe 800 is a good starting point. Maybe list it for 1000 and go from there.
Old 12-05-18, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cseyer View Post
Check with a local auto recycler (they will quote you a cash price to pick it up). That's your minimum and advertise as mentioned above as a parts car for more than the recycler offer.

Great. Thanks for the tip.