Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Nespresso Chat - Alternatives?

Old 11-26-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nespresso Chat - Alternatives?

So my Keurig finally died after 10 years. Yes I know drip coffee is better, I know French Press is better, but the one cup model works in our household.

My brother has a Nespresso, the newer 'Vertuo' line. I can't wait to go over to his house and have a cup or two! It kicks the crap out of Keurig for sure.

So if anyone who owns a Nespresso, or something similar that they would recommend, I'm all ears. I am not sure if there is a good/cheaper alternative to Nespresso machines as I have not begun to research this yet, but I wanted to get some real world thoughts/reviews.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Old 11-26-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Nespresso Chat - Alternatives?

I recently bought a Nespresso Vertuo Plus + Aeroccino on Amazon warehouse for a very low price. I'm not a big coffee drinker. I'll have the occasional latte (espresso only when I feel a migraine coming), and I doubt I drink more than 3-4 cups of coffee a week. If this had been full price, I would never have bought it.

With that out of the way, I like it because it's simple, quick, not messy, and it makes "regular" coffee. I prefer the vanilla, hazelnut, "flavored" stuff always with the frothed milk, i.e. the less it tastes like coffee the better.

Hopefully for you, real coffee drinkers will respond.
Old 11-26-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had Nespresso and indeed it is good. No muss, no fuss, but man those pods can be expensive.

Speaking of expensive....This is the rig i have been using for 5 years now:

Gaggia Classic

Buying good beans and also having a first rate grinder will result in outstanding coffee.

It is expensive, it does require maintenance, the steam wand needs work. But I would never go to an nespresso type system. The quality is just not there.

But that's just me.

G
Old 11-26-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW found this on a deal site:

Breville Nespresso Pixie

$149 and a 15% off coupon today. Good reviews that I'm reading.
Old 11-26-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. A friend of mine did the opposite, switched from an expensive rig to a Nespresso Vertuo and he has no complaints (neither does his wife) about quality. I think he only drinks espresso though.
Old 11-26-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Interesting. A friend of mine did the opposite, switched from an expensive rig to a Nespresso Vertuo and he has no complaints (neither does his wife) about quality. I think he only drinks espresso though.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I had nespresso made shots only recently on a trip. I found the coffee/espresso very good. I did not make the jump from nespresso to the Gaggia.

I jumped from shitty drip coffee maker to the espresso machine. Never jumping back.
Old 11-26-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grip View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I had nespresso made shots only recently on a trip. I found the coffee/espresso very good. I did not make the jump from nespresso to the Gaggia.

I jumped from shitty drip coffee maker to the espresso machine. Never jumping back.
Got it! I just misunderstood "Had Nespresso".
Old 11-26-18, 04:07 PM

This is good is you aren't drinking shots but are making lattes etc: https://aeropressinc.com/ -- and it is super cheap and easy to use.

Drinks made with this should be very close to the equivalent espresso drink, what is missing is the "creamy" texture in the shot itself.