Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Suggestions of rum to buy in Nassau that you can't get in the U.S.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-12-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My wife booked a cruise going to Nassau for January. We took a cruise last year that went to 3 different islands, but this time it it just stopping in Nassau and Princess Cays.

I haven't tried rum often before the trip, but enjoyed the few I've tried while there last time. I didn't pick up much on the last trip. I got a bottle of Tortuga Banana rum and a vanila cream rum from the Grand Turk Spirit Company. I'd like to pick up a few different bottles of rums that can't be purchased locally in the U.S. I've heard of John Watlings, but what would be some others that would be good unique buys while down there.

Also, it appears the cruise ship docks in Nassau on Sunday. From what I've heard you can't buy alcohol on Sundays there unless they've changed the rules. Anyway around that, like preordering it to have delivered to the ship when it docks? Or am I pretty much at a loss to purchase any while there? The ship has a duty free shop, but mostly all their liquor, while cheaper, is the same as what you can get in the U.S.

If I can't buy bottles to take home, I would try some at the bars there. Other than Watlings, what else is there?
Old 11-12-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Suggestions of rum to buy in Nassau that you can't get in the U.S.

Sunday in Nassau ...

Old 11-12-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does it have to be rum? 'Cos I was in the Bahamas in March, and found three varieties of Jameson I've never seen in the US before: Bold, Lively and Round. I got a bottle of Round, and couldn't be happier with it. They also had giant (1.5L?) bottles of Jameson Caskmates Stout for the same price as the 750ml bottle here.

Anyway, yeah, the duty free shop seemed to have a bunch of "special edition" liquors neither I nor my travelmates had ever seen before. And they buy a lot of liquor.
Old 11-12-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Havana Club.

The real stuff from Cuba.
Old 11-12-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Does it have to be rum? 'Cos I was in the Bahamas in March, and found three varieties of Jameson I've never seen in the US before: Bold, Lively and Round. I got a bottle of Round, and couldn't be happier with it. They also had giant (1.5L?) bottles of Jameson Caskmates Stout for the same price as the 750ml bottle here.

Anyway, yeah, the duty free shop seemed to have a bunch of "special edition" liquors neither I nor my travelmates had ever seen before. And they buy a lot of liquor.
Doesn't necessarily have to be, but I prefer the rum. I just prefer the somewhat sweeter tasting liquor. The duty free shop had some good priced deals but I didn't catch much that wasn't available in different sized bottles in the U.S. I rememer Hennessey Pure White wasn't available here, but still quite expensive. It was actually cheaper off the ship in Grand Turk. It was about $89 on the ship and 2 for $110 or $120 in the duty free on Grand Turk.
Old 11-12-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I have never bought anything in a duty free store. I’ve found that they don’t really have very good deals.

Maybe in the ‘80s or something it was a bargain.
Old 11-12-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I have never bought anything in a duty free store. Iíve found that they donít really have very good deals.

Maybe in the Ď80s or something it was a bargain.
It depends on where you live. Jameson Caskmates Stout is $39.99 for a 750ml bottle here in NC, but it's $26.99 at Frugal MacDoogal just across the line in SC. In the Bahamas, a 1.5L bottle was $37.99. I saw plenty of other deals - Grey Goose and Maker's Mark for half the price it is in NC. But I'm only really interested in Irish whiskey. The best deals were for the higher-end stuff, like Jameson Cooperís Croze for $49 instead of $79 like it is here.

Back when I smoked, no duty free shop could compete with NC prices - $50/carton was about $20 more than they cost at home. But if I'd lived in NYC, $50/carton would have been the deal of the century.
Old 11-13-18, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Havana Club.

The real stuff from Cuba.
Ill second that. Usually my rum of choice if I'm on the rum. Also not sure if its sold in the us, but Appleton is popular down here and I assume in the Bahamas as well.