Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Used car pricing

Old 11-09-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Used car pricing

I'm likely in the market...oh, who am I kidding? I want a second car. I currently have a 2015 Ford Escape in the cross hairs but am having a lot of trouble figuring out whether the asking price is reasonable. The sticker price was 31,885 in 2015 (has a lot of upgrades and extras) and the dealer wants 19,037 for it, plus the usual extra costs like taxes and tags. It was a 3-year lease and has only 36000 miles on it.

The problem I'm having is finding the same car with the same features at other, relatively local dealers, so I can perform some kind of price comparison. With that stated, does it seem like a fair enough deal given the original price, the current price and the mileage? If not, given the lack of decent comparisons, what could I use as leverage to negotiate a lower price? I can afford it either way, but I also hate second guessing whether I could have gotten something for less with some extra effort. Thanks!

Last edited by Vipper II; 11-09-18 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Used car pricing

You didn't state the trim level, but it sounds a bit high, to me. You can get a vehicle with around the same mileage (or less, depending on trim level) for around the same price, $CDN.

I would check Autotrader in your area for comparison pricing.
Old 11-09-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

That seems way high, but I would assume that's also market dependent. I just ran a CarsDirect search for that model and year, with similar mileage. Looks like I can get something with even less miles for about $16k in my area. Now they have ones also listed near your price, but many are listed well below that. Even the Titanium trim ones near that price you quoted, have 10k or more less miles on them.

Here's my search: https://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars...erType=desktop
Old 11-09-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trim level is SE, but with the extras (AWD, leather, more robust engine, nav system, heated seats, backup camera) it's essentially just a small step or 2 down from the Titanium. The Carfax is clean, too.

I found another Escape Titanium with some similar specs just 10 miles south of me, for a little less than this one; however, the Carfax report had some questionable items on it. I may try to use that price to negotiate a little more off of the SE.

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
That seems way high, but I would assume that's also market dependent. I just ran a CarsDirect search for that model and year, with similar mileage. Looks like I can get something with even less miles for about $16k in my area. Now they have ones also listed near your price, but many are listed well below that. Even the Titanium trim ones near that price you quoted, have 10k or more less miles on them.

Here's my search: https://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars...erType=desktop
Yeah, Maryland isn't cheap. Not as bad as other states, but they still put their hands out a lot.
Old 11-09-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

According to Kelly Blue Book that is an average dealer price. Here are a dozen in your area.
https://www.kbb.com/dealers/chester_...sourcepage=hub
Old 11-09-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't Ford artificially inflate their MSRP and then try to entice you to buy by giving you lots of 'discounts'? So that $31K sticker price is inflated.