Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Driver who killed three children says she didn't know there was a school bus in front

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Driver who killed three children says she didn't know there was a school bus in front

Old 11-05-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Full title: Driver who killed three children says she didn't know there was a school bus in front of her

This is a photo from the accident scene. I'd say it's pretty obvious that it's a school bus. I wonder if the driver who killed three children was texting.

Image spoilerized for size. Source of image: https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...rd/1846987002/
Spoiler:

https://www.abc57.com/news/driver-in...s-a-school-bus

Driver in fatal crash told police she didn't realize it was a school bus

November 1, 2018

The woman who was driving the truck that killed three children and injured one as they walked to the school bus told police she saw the lights, but didn't recognize it as a school bus until it was too late, according to the probable cause affidavit.

Alyssa Shepherd, 24, spoke with investigators right after the crash happened on SR 25 Tuesday morning around 7:15 a.m.

The information about what Shepherd told police was revealed in the probable cause affidavit.

Shepherd told police she saw the lights of the bus, but didn't recognize it as a school bus. By the time she realized what it was, the kids were in front of her, according to reports.

Multiple witnesses reported seeing the lights on and the stop arm down, police said.

Shepherd told police she doesn't usually drive her husband to work, but on Tuesday she did. She dropped him off in Talma at 7:05 a.m. and then headed to her mother's house to drop off her little brother.

She said she was not running late or in a hurry.

Her brother and two other children were in the truck with her when the crash happened.

The bus driver told police he saw the pickup truck coming but it was a long way off. Since he had his flashing lights and stop arm down, he waved the kids across the street.

When he realized the truck wasn't slowing down, he honked his horn as a warning - but it was too late, he told police.

A driver who was behind Shepherd testified she came around the curve and saw the school bus lights. She saw the headlights of the truck light up the kids just before they were hit, according to reports.

Shepherd is facing three counts of reckless homicide and a misdemeanor count of passing a school bus with arm extended causing injury.
Old 11-05-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Driver who killed three children says she didn't know there was a school bus in f

Hey everyone! Grundle's awake!
Old 11-05-18, 02:30 PM

Re: Driver who killed three children says she didn't know there was a school bus in f

I saw this exact thing the other day. Bus stopped with the sign out, car attempting to speed by on the other side and the bus driver had to alert the driver with the horn. Luckily, no kids were crossing the street and nobody was hurt.

I think a lot of drivers have forgotten some of the basics for dealing with buses and emergency vehicles, simply because they don't encounter them all the time.
Old 11-05-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Was another incident where a driver ran over 3 girl scouts picking up trash along the road.

Whoever had the Girl scouts picking trash up alongside a road...not smart. These days, you could be 50ft off the road and still have a vehicle hit you.
Old 11-05-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

The incident in Indiana is very tragic. Indeed many people seem unaware that the flashing red lights mean you have to stop and treat the bus like a red light at an intersection. No passing, nothing.

Also, it sounds like the driver remained in the bus and was waving the kids to cross. In my day the driver had to get out and walk kids across the street when there was a situation where kids were crossing in front of the buss.
Old 11-05-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very sad story, apparently the mother was there when it happened and afterwords didn't know which one of her kids she should run to first.
Old 11-05-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Horrible.

And i have to admit. Just last week I saw the school bus coming from the opposite lane and I accelerated so i could pass it before it made a stop. It was not a close call because i drove past before the bus even made it to its stop. But the driver saw me and shook her head, and I felt horrible.
This is the first time I tried to be a smartass and it sucks, I have always slowed down before
Old 11-05-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Was another incident where a driver ran over 3 girl scouts picking up trash along the road.

Whoever had the Girl scouts picking trash up alongside a road...not smart. These days, you could be 50ft off the road and still have a vehicle hit you.
Yep, the Girl Scouts were totally at fault here.
Old 11-05-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure her face was buried in a fucking phone. That would surely explain "not seeing" a giant yellow box in front of you.
Old 11-05-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yep, the Girl Scouts were totally at fault here.
Well, the organization...hell yes. Obviously not the kids.

I'm referring to the dumbass (Super Trooper Enviroscout) who decided it was cool to take a group of young kids out on a road that was known to be dangerous to pick up trash. Of all places, a speeding hwy. I mean, take the kids out in a local residential or something. Not a highway road. Anything can happen. And it did. As a leader of a group of kids, you have to know that picking up trash on a high-speed road...is just asking for trouble. Of course the driver is at fault (but if the kids were not there...the driver wouldn't be charged with anything) but you have to think ahead and assume a high-speed road is going to mean problems for your kids you're in charge of.

It's called leadership. Next they'll be selling cookies on a NASCAR track...#ButNASCAR2Blame.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-05-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I belong to a group that does Highway cleanups and there is an age requirement of either 16 or 18 to participate. I would be surprised if it was different elsewhere for what seems like obvious reasons to us all here now. Very sad.

I was driving to pick up my kids last week at the HS and a bus stopped directly in front of a crossing guard. The bus was stopped and opening the stop sign, lights were already on and a student exiting the parking lot blew right past the guard and bus. Damn lucky the kid wasn't hit as they crossed the road in front of the bus, it really pissed me off but all I could do was flash my high beams as they drove past and offer a loud WTF
Old 11-05-18, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Surprised intersections that connect directly to a school on either side of them, don't have a crossing guard that lowers with red lights like a train crossing. Can't really help in situations like this where a bus out in the community, but I observe a lot of people going 35, when they should be at 20 or even less.
Old 11-05-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The female witness, who was driving behind Shepherd, estimated the suspect was driving around 45 mph at the time of the crash and said the bus was very visible, even though it was dark outside. The witness told police that she slowed down for the bus, but that Shepherd did not.

Shepherd reportedly told authorities that she was returning from driving her husband to work at the time of the accident and had three children in her truck at the time, including her little brother. She acknowledged she saw "something" with lights on the side of the road, but claimed she didn't recognize it was a school bus until it was too late to stop.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...late/23577932/

There are a few areas along my work commute where school buses stop so that's usually in the back of mind when I approach those areas. If I see flashing lights ahead, particularly if it's dark, then I slow down to assess the situation. Something is not adding up with the driver's story.
Old 11-05-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
There are a few areas along my work commute where school buses stop so that's usually in the back of mind when I approach those areas. If I see flashing lights ahead, particularly if it's dark, then I slow down to assess the situation. Something is not adding up with the driver's story.
Yeah, the missing part is that the driver was likely fucking around on her phone right before she killed the kids, I'd be absolutely shocked if she wasn't.
Old 11-05-18, 07:18 PM

This getting posted by grundle is rich considering the posts about Heather Heyer.
Old 11-05-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
This getting posted by grundle is rich considering the posts about Heather Heyer.
Oh yeah I never thought of that, ouch!
Old 11-05-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps because it happened here in Indiana, I've seen so many articles on this tragedy including a great deal of social media discussion. It is such a shame from so many angles. I hurt for the family, especially the grieving parents. I think about the bus driver and all those who witnessed it. And even the young lady who hit the children, along with those youngsters in the car with her. It's hard to imagine. I've not dug into every video clip, but she seemed to be a responsible young person by all accounts. She stuck around afterward cooperating in every way and was later arrested at a church where she was employed. She had some things going against her (the speed limit on the road, some curves along the way, a lack of daylight perhaps). I'm uncertain of the exact conditions. They were severe enough that the school bus stop has been moved from that location. And apparently others had expressed concerns about the stop previously which makes it all the more difficult to digest in that perhaps a change could have been made before this occurred. Regardless, just tragic and heartbreaking.
Old 11-05-18, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

100 to 1 she was fucking around on a god damned phone in the crucial seconds before this happened. Hopefully the prosecution will audit the records it needs to in order to prove this in court.

Very sad all the way around, and there bus driver is also at fault in a way for not waiting until the street was completely clear. But, the lady of course is much more at fault.

And the world tragically loses three more beautiful white children, who, at least in my neck of the woods, are becoming a true minority. That makes it saddest of all for me. I grieve for the family.
Old 11-06-18, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was looking at the specs of that Tacoma and it looks like it may have come with projector beam headlights. No way she could not have seen that school bus. As others have said; she was on the phone.
Old 11-06-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Does anyone think she may have been on her phone?
Old 11-06-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I'm going out on a limb here and say she was probably on her phone. Who agrees?

Oh and for those who couldn't find the bus in the photo.. I circled it.

Old 11-06-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
100 to 1 she was fucking around on a god damned phone in the crucial seconds before this happened. Hopefully the prosecution will audit the records it needs to in order to prove this in court.

Very sad all the way around, and there bus driver is also at fault in a way for not waiting until the street was completely clear. But, the lady of course is much more at fault.

And the world tragically loses three more beautiful white children, who, at least in my neck of the woods, are becoming a true minority. That makes it saddest of all for me. I grieve for the family.
Wow
Old 11-06-18, 11:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Zod,
That's some excellent internet sleuthing there. Not at all disingenuous.

To be 100% clear... this woman is 100% guilty here, and needs to face the appropriate penalty (including jail time) for what she did.

However, if you actually read the story...
- It sounds like she was coming from in front of the bus, around a curve, not behind it. There's one lane on each side.
- It was about 7:15am. Sunrise on Oct 30 in that area was an hour later, at 8:15am (I quickly googled this bit)
- there do not appear to be any street lights on that section of the road.
- The bus obviously had its headlights on, which, if it was still dark out, could have obscured the giant "SCHOOL BUS" text on the front of the bus making it look like a stopped semi-truck, maybe. But I wouldn't buy that line of thinking, personally, specifically because:
- The bus obviously had its signs out and flashers going. She should have seen those, just as she should have seen the kids crossing.
- SHE 100% SHOULD HAVE SEEN THAT AND FUCKING STOPPED INSTEAD OF PLOWING OVER THREE CHILDREN.
- Dollars to donuts, she was looking at her phone.

But this 'har har, look at this full daylight picture from behind the bus, gee, where do you think the bus is, let me circle it, har har' kind of thing is just... kind of sad, even for the yacht club at DVDTalk. Like... kids died, y'all.

Again: she's 100% responsible for these deaths. I have very little sympathy for her. I feel for the bus driver who reasonably thought it was safe to get the kids to cross, and now has to live with knowing that those kids are gone. That's going to tear away at them for the rest of their life. The bus driver is NOT responsible, but I guarantee you they will FEEL somewhat responsible forever.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.

This is a tragedy that could and should have been avoided. Hopefully it leads to stricter distracted driving laws, if they don't already have them there. Not sure what else can be done besides better driver education... people really don't understand how easily they can cause death, no matter how much you drill it into their heads, until it happens, and that's far too late.
Old 11-06-18, 11:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Wow
Wait, what did zyzzle say...?

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
To paraphrase Kurtie Dee,

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The incident in Indiana is very tragic. Indeed many people seem unaware that the flashing red lights mean you have to stop and treat the bus like a red light at an intersection. No passing, nothing.

Also, it sounds like the driver remained in the bus and was waving the kids to cross. In my day the driver had to get out and walk kids across the street when there was a situation where kids were crossing in front of the buss.
I think this almost assuredly would have helped in some way. With the driver IN the bus, it takes too long to react. With the driver on foot, with the children, they could push/grab the kids or do SOMETHING more substantial in that situation.

Last edited by Dan; 11-06-18 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 11:58 AM

in NYC this driver would not have even received a ticket, as long as she stayed at the scene and the next day the NYPD would be out ticketing cyclist in the area, because you know they are dangerous.

Last edited by TheGuy; 11-06-18 at 12:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.