Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

New car & no CD player

Old 10-17-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New car & no CD player

So hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but did cars recently stop coming with CD players? I just purchased a new car and it has a nice looking touch screen with a bunch of features, but no CD player.

And a follow up question, is there an easy way I can still listen to these in a different format? I was thinking of putting them digitally on my phone, but I imagine that's going to take up a lot of space. The car has Apple & Android play, Pandora, Spotify, etc., but not sure if any of those apps would help.
Old 10-17-18, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Re: New car & no CD player

Does it have a USB slot? If so, just load a thumb drive with music.

Or use Spotify, that covers most music.
Old 10-17-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man, my last two cars have not had CD players. This has been standard for years. Just use your phone to play music. You can fit 100 times more music than using CDs.
Old 10-17-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
did cars recently stop coming with CD players?
Heh. Man, I haven't played a CD in a car since 2004, probably. I "used" the CD player in my last car for a
phone mount phone mount
. My current car also has a CD player (that actually has "MP3 and WMA" printed on the player.. woo-hoo!). I haven't used it, and probably never will. I use an AUX cable to connect my phone for short trips, and also have a
Bluetooth aux receiver Bluetooth aux receiver
I use on longer trips.
Old 10-17-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Car should have bluetooth so connect to your phone or a DAP if you have one.
Old 10-17-18, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I bought a 2018 KIA Sportage in March and mine had a CD player.

So you’re looking for a way to play your CD’s? Sounds like you need to transfer the ones you want to a thumb drive.

Otherwise it’s very easy to use Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora through your phone via Bluetooth. Or it sounds like the apps are already built in to your car.
Old 10-18-18, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, my 2017 Mazda CX-5 doesn't have a CD player. I still used CD's occasionally at the time, and basically switched to a combination of SiriusXM, streaming Amazon Music or Pandora from my phone via Bluetooth, as well as converting and copying a bunch of albums on to a small USB flash drive.
Old 10-18-18, 01:39 AM

You should need a dock for your phone to use in car
Old 10-18-18, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

And I remember when car CD players were a luxury, heck I remember when cassette players were!
Old 10-18-18, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lack of a CD player in my new vehicle (2018 Chevy Equinox) is one thing that disappointed me when I bought it. Iíve mostly grown used to just using SiriusXM, but do still somewhat miss the option to play CDís. The thing that gets me is that while I realize itís an older technology now itís also got to be fairly cheap where they could still have it as an option. Especially when I feel like a lot of new vehicles have a lot of wasted center console space anyways.
Old 10-18-18, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

USB, SD card, streaming, use bluetooth to your phone . . .

I have 3471 songs on my phone and they take up less than 17 GB of my phones 512 GB memory

Yes you can use Pandora or Spotify to listen to music and depending on your phone use either Apple or Android car play. Have not had CD's in my car for the last 5 years.

If you have an old phone, you can use that as a music player as well

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 10-18-18 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My 2015 Dodge doesn't have a CD player. At first I thought it was an inconvenience, but I ripped my CD collection to MP3 and stuck them on a USB stick. I don't miss having a CD player. I love having my entire collection available at all times and not having to change CD's or have them cluttering up my car.
Old 10-18-18, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The funny thing is I didn't even realize it at first. My kids picked up a CD at the library and when they hopped in the car we were like what the hell

I have a good sized binder of CDs but honestly don't listen to them much between podcasts and the streaming services. So I guess maybe I'll just pick a few of them and transfer those to my phone. One of my other friends mentioned putting a couple in Google Drive, but I wasn't sure how that would play out.
Old 10-18-18, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a CD player but never use it. I already had my entire collection ripped and have it in an old iPod touch attached to the car. Works like a charm. The problem with using a USB drive is some cars have weird playback rules like songs play in the order they were loaded not album order etc.
Old 10-18-18, 07:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

How are you going to play your 8 Track tapes?
Old 10-18-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I still play CDs in my car. But I play music from my phone more often
Funny i was thinking of getting the latest Macca CD album but what is the point if there is less places to actually play the CD in

Edit: Just found out Egypt Station is available for Streaming with Amazon prime. Damn am I just looking for ways to waste money

Last edited by nando820; 10-18-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I still play CDs in my car. But I play music from my phone more often
Funny i was thinking of getting the latest Macca CD album but what is the point if there is less places to actually play the CD in
Speaking of, why aren't music labels and publishers allowing us to download the artwork and music in an uncompressed format, instead of buying the CDs in plastic cases, etc. Would be much more viable.

Bought a few CDs off amazon recently and the instant MP3 versions are nice but I still like the uncompressed sound.
Old 10-18-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All I know is that streaming music on my car's stereo sounds like SHIT! I have to crank the volume almost full blast, and it still sounds terrible. Thankfully, it has a CD player, and that sounds great. I can also plug my ipod in, and that sounds alright. But any sort of streaming, bluetooth, or plugged in, sounds so bad, I'd rather just not listen.
Old 10-18-18, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I noticed when streaming from my personal (iphone 5) it sounds a bit better than my work (Samsung S7 Android)

Anybody else thinks or notices if their apple device sounds better?
Old 10-18-18, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My mother-in-law has a CD player in her new car, but it's a single-disc compared to her previous car's six-disc, so she's asked me to put music on her phone.

My 2018 Forester has a CD player but we migrated to Bluetooth a while ago, even in the old car that needed a Bluetooth receiver plugged into the cigarette lighter.
Old 10-18-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My old car, which was a 2007 Toyota Camry that I had until last year had a six disc changer and I almost exclusively used that. I hardly ever turned on the radio. SiriusXM is pretty nice too though. I pretty much have it on Pearl Jam Radio, The Beatles Channel, or Classic Vinyl. The salesperson who sold me my new vehicle said that GM is toying with the idea of removing even SiriusXM though. Not even sure what Iíd do in that case.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-18-18 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I bought my car last year I was told that CD players aren't even an option anymore for that model. Not that I needed it I haven't used a CD in years. I use my LG phone which has a high quality DAC to play my music. Mostly in HD lossless format. Sounds much better than CDs plus so much more convenient and when you have over 5,000 songs to choose from, it can't be beat.
Old 10-18-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Soon your car won't have a radio... not kidding. You'll be able to stream and you'll be able to use satellite but the days of putting heavy, expensive receiver bricks in your instrument panel are closer to ending than you'd think.
Old 10-18-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like to buy CDs for my favorite artists to have a copy of the physical media and sometimes the liner notes, but everything gets ripped to digital and I tend to stream via BT to my radio 99% of the time. I enjoy the trial of Sirius on my wifes new car but I don't know that we will go beyond the trial period for that. I listen to the radio very rarely...
Old 10-18-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Soon your car won't have a radio... not kidding. You'll be able to stream and you'll be able to use satellite but the days of putting heavy, expensive receiver bricks in your instrument panel are closer to ending than you'd think.
I think those days are pretty much done already with most new vehicles. Unless you know what youíre doing or hire someone who does you probably run the risk of messing something up with the touchscreen panel or functionality of it. I wouldnít even toy with the idea of doing anything with mine. At most Iíd maybe consider an Aux cable and setup something that way, but thatís really not ideal.

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I like to buy CDs for my favorite artists to have a copy of the physical media and sometimes the liner notes, but everything gets ripped to digital and I tend to stream via BT to my radio 99% of the time. I enjoy the trial of Sirius on my wifes new car but I don't know that we will go beyond the trial period for that. I listen to the radio very rarely...
I find that I buy a lot less CDís now days unless itís one from an artist I like a lot. I have a lot of discs though. Iíve sort of thought about going through and sifting out what I donít like or want anymore. Even if I just donated them to get rid of them I wouldnít care.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.