Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Good sleeper or bad sleeper?
Good. (with prescription, OTC, warm milk, etc...)
10.00%
Good. (all natural, no use of anything)
28.00%
Bad. (even with prescription, OTC, warm milk, etc...)
6.00%
Bad. (all natural, no use of anything)
14.00%
Up and down really. (Sometimes good, sometimes bad, no real consistency)
40.00%
Other. Please specifiy...
2.00%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Good sleeper or bad sleeper?

Old 10-14-18, 01:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Good sleeper or bad sleeper?

i had this discussion with a friend who says she never gets enough sleep and always looks tired.

i was always a bad sleeper until i was prescribed something (not ambien) that really does help and i haven't built up any tolerance so no need to up dose or anything and it has no lingering side effects or drowsiness in morning. so it does help and gives me pretty good sleep.

so do you sleep well, need something, bad and loathe sleeping?
Old 10-14-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Good sleeper or bad sleeper?

I sleep like a baby.

Which means I wake up every so often needing fed and changed.

I never really understood that expression.
Old 10-14-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a good sleeper at all. I can fall asleep quickly, but I wake up many times throughout the night. I recently got a prescription for an anxiety pill that I take as a sleeping aid, and that helps. I may still wake up once or twice, but I can easily go back to sleep. Only problem then is I'm drowsy most of the next day.

Damned either way.
Old 10-14-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Turn off EVERYTHING. No night lights or computer screens. Donít eat later than maybe 3-5 hours before bedtime. Donít pretend like youíre Superman and can stay up for long periods of time. You canít and it accomplishes nothing.

Those are my tricks to sleeping good.
Old 10-14-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The darkness thing is no joke. It helps so much.

Claritin also acts as a lightweight sleep aid if you want.
Old 10-14-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a very deep sleeper and rarely wake up until I get eight hours of sleep.
Old 10-14-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Turn off EVERYTHING. No night lights or computer screens. Don’t eat later than maybe 3-5 hours before bedtime. Don’t pretend like you’re Superman and can stay up for long periods of time. You can’t and it accomplishes nothing.

Those are my tricks to sleeping good.
I can't sleep if I'm hungry. And if I haven't eaten in four to five hours...I'm hungry. Usually a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios does the trick. Or a drink. OR: I'll go 3-4 hours without eating and get to sleep fine at an early time, like 9:30 or 10PM, but then wake up at 1 or 2AM, hungry and wide awake.

Everyone's metabolism is different.
Old 10-14-18, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I generally have no problem getting to sleep, but for awhile, I'd always awake with a pain in left side of my chest. I was worried it was my heart, but the pain would go away if I moved my arm into a certain position. I sleep on my right side now and haven't had any issues since.
Old 10-14-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That happens to me too. Itís a good time to wake up and start the day. My alarm goes off at 3am.

My understanding of it is that the awake feeling you get is your body sucking in stored energy. Eating some carbs and sugar results in a sugar spike that helps you feel sleepy on the way down.
Old 10-14-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I try to go to bed when I am tired so I won't be waking up on and off and just get mostly deep REM sleep though I should get more than 5 or 6 hrs.

I assume if I have some long dreams I must have gotten some good sleep and though it is digusting if you have drool on the pillow you were knocked out and probably had a good rest.
Old 10-14-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

According to my Fitbit, I'm usually around 6 hours of sleep a night. I'm tired a lot, but I think that's mostly because I haven't been exercising like I used too, plus eating poorly. That said, I also can't sleep in at all. My wife can sleep for 10+ hours easy, but i'm the type of person that wakes up around 7 AMish no matter what.
Old 10-15-18, 06:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I take a 5mg melatonin before I go to bed, read for a few minutes, I'll usually wake up once or twice during the night to piss, but otherwise I sleep OK most of the time. I try to get 7hrs., usually end up with 6Ĺ. Most of the time I'll sleep pretty well, once in a while I'll sleep poorly, usually pay for it the next day.
Old 10-15-18, 09:33 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I sleep great. But my wife is another story. She’s such a light sleeper. Everything wakes her up.
Old 10-15-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My sleep is fragile. It's easy to wake me, and then I can't get back to sleep. I tried melatonin for a while, but it didn't really help, and I wasn't comfortable fiddling with my hormones. I use a CPAP. When I first got the CPAP, I would sleep for a solid seven or eight hours every night. It was wonderful. I don't often get that anymore.
Old 10-15-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still working on sleeping better from my health issues I have mentioned here. Things are greatly improving as I'm getting to sleep at a much better time around 10:30-11:30pm, but still waking up once or twice in the middle of the night.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-15-18 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
I can fall asleep quickly, but I wake up many times throughout the night.
This is me, anxiety sucks.
Old 10-15-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me I find sleep is somewhat seasonally a challenge. Lately and most years, I find I have trouble sleeping from September thru the end of the winter. I will wake randomly in the night and then have trouble falling back asleep. Going to the bathroom, reading, um other things dont seem to work. I also take a while to go to sleep normally. My wife can sleep at the drop of a hat but my head hits the pillow and I wait. I dont think its necessarily SAD but I find its preceded by the time change and fairly lasting. I tried the SAD light and it hasn't made a difference. I used to take benadryl to go to sleep but finally kicked the habit as I stopped traveling for work.
Old 10-15-18, 10:30 AM

You are all going to hate me, but I am famous for being able to fall asleep fast and sleep through anything AND absolutely not liking sleep at all. I'll take the second part first.

I don't like sleep. It's a waste of time. I've never consciously craved it or found comfort in it. It's a necessary evil. I know I need sleep, but I don't like it as I'd rather live life. And yes, I know I can't live life well without sleep. It's a weird mindset and I have been trying to do something about it to help me better regulate my sleep schedule because I have, as a result, had too many times where I'm running on too little sleep and it impacts my quality of life. That becomes self-defeating pretty quickly.

That said, I'm a sleep expert. When I hit the pillow, I'm out in 60 seconds, whether I'm simply lying down for a moment or am utterly exhausted. And I'll sleep the whole way through. I'll hold position well. Every once in a while, I've woken up with aching muscles because I was in a bad position all night and the discomfort wasn't enough to wake me up to adjust. I do have sleep apnea and if I doze off without my CPAP I will tend to wake myself with a quick snore, but if that mask is on, yeah, I'm gone.

My wife hates this juxtaposition about me. She absolutely loves sleep AND she has a really hard time falling asleep, the complete opposite of me. She doesn't like that I don't appreciate what comes so easily to me. Sometimes we laugh about it, though. Last night, I asked if we can cuddle and she said no, you'll just fall asleep in two minutes. I said no way, I absolutely will not. She said uh-huh. So we're lying in bed, spooning, and I'm finding it easy to stay awake and enjoy the moment with her. Cuddling with her is one of my favorite things and I'm not going to let sleep interrupt it. It's easy to stay awake, no sweat. I know it. She knows it. And everyone around me here at work knows it. Just to be sure, I tell my co-worker how simple it is to stay awake if you want to and she agrees even though I have to admit I've never met her before. And then another person comes in the office looking for a brochure that doesn't exist and when she goes around the corner I turn to my co-worker and say out loud, "Now, where do you suppose she's going?" To which my wife bursts out with gut-busting laughter, "What are you talking about?! You were asleep in twenty seconds!"

Oops!

Last edited by story; 10-15-18 at 12:07 PM. Reason: t
Old 10-15-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by story View Post

I don't like sleep. It's a waste of time. I've never consciously craved it or found comfort in it. It's a necessary evil. I know I need sleep, but I don't like it as I'd rather live life. And yes, I know I can't live life well without sleep. It's a weird mindset and I have been trying to do something about it to help me better regulate my sleep schedule because I have, as a result, had too many times where I'm running on too little sleep and it impacts my quality of life. That becomes self-defeating pretty quickly.

I TOTALLY get this and have felt the same way for years. I don't look forward to sleep and don't like that I have to do it.
Old 10-15-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can generally fall asleep quickly. If I wake up at night to take a leak, or something otherwise benign, I can usually go back to sleep without much of a problem.

However, when my kids wake up yelling or screaming or crying, I go on high alert, and can't get back to sleep. Having a two and four year old, this happens more than I would like.

I used to take melatonin, but it didn't really help for the crying thing, so I stopped. I don't want to get started on something else, so I often sleep in the basement.
Old 10-15-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always had a hard time sleeping. I'm usually OK once I'm out but I have an over-active mind. It's near impossible for me to keep my mind from racing about anything/everything when I'm trying to sleep. Now I sleep with the TV on so I can concentrate on something to keep my mind in check. Usually something on Science Channel works well. On average, I'd say it takes about an hour for me to fall asleep once I lay down, regardless of how tired I feel.
Old 10-15-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sleep like hell during the week (work stress) but pretty good on weekends (when I know I don't have that 5:30am alarm going off). One thing I've done to help my weekly sleeping is to take 400mg of Magnesium. Works pretty well.
Old 10-15-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
You are all going to hate me, but I am famous for being able to fall asleep fast and sleep through anything AND absolutely not liking sleep at all. I'll take the second part first.
It's natural. You don't have to worry about sleep. Rich people don't worry about money.
Old 10-15-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've learned to be better at falling asleep faster. But I don't get enough because of 2 jobs and trying to live at the same time. I average 4 hours a night.
Old 10-15-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was a horrible sleeper until I discovered melatonin. It's available over the counter in a variety of formulations. I used to be a very light sleeper and getting a full night of sleep was often challenging.

Melatonin was a great find. I'm not sure what I would do without it every night.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.