Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Which Thread should win the TOAT?
Plane crashes into World Trade Center!!
22.22%
Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!
24.07%
Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)
14.81%
Dating advice needed (1st date in 4 1/2 years!)
9.26%
The Drink-Man Chronicles & Drink-Man 2: Drink Harder
9.26%
Part 1: Check out this ebay seller - aka The Crayon Threads
9.26%
Diner etiquette regarding sitting at the counter - aka Best of Mabuse rants
1.85%
Has anyone seen this girl skank?
1.85%
How many have been told to stay away from the DVD trash bins at rental stores?
3.70%
Photochop my friend (aka Daddy Cool)
3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

TOAT - vote - Finals

Old 10-05-18, 09:47 AM
Admin-Thanos

TOAT - vote - Finals

Ok, this is it. The finals of all time (until the next time). It's time to decide the TOAT (Thread of All Time). It has been a tough competition and weeding out process, but the top ten have been decided by you and here they are (in no particular order):

1. Plane crashes into World Trade Center!! aka the 9/11 Thread
2. Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!
3. Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)
4. Dating advice needed (1st date in 4 1/2 years!)
5. The Drink-Man Chronicles & Drink-Man 2: Drink Harder
6. Part 1: Check out this ebay seller & Check Out This eBay Seller Part Deux: The Crayons Strike Back! & Part Three: The Crayons Travel. Trade For A Picture & Crayon on parade (part IV) & Crayon on Parade (Part V) - Waxing Nostalgic - The Crayon Threads
7. Diner etiquette regarding sitting at the counter & My new neighbors won't let anyone park in front of their house & I hate my neighbor's gardener (a Mabuse micro-rant) & Neighbor who flies Palestinian flag. What's up with that? aka Best of Mabuse rants
8. Has anyone seen this girl skank?
9. How many have been told to stay away from the DVD trash bins at rental stores? aka danol Dumpster dive
10. Photochop my friend pt 3 aka Daddy Cool

For those of you who have been in a cave for the last year or so.

Nomination Thread

Division A Vote Thread
Division B Vote Thread
Old 10-05-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: TOAT - vote - Finals

I might be biased because I got one but I voted for crayon thread. It was wonderfully interactive.
Old 10-05-18, 10:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

All of these are great threads, but the 9/11 thread had the most impact on me, so it gets my vote.
Old 10-05-18, 11:06 AM
Admin-Thanos

I'm figuring Landlords will win this in a runaway. It's a current thread and fresh in everyone's minds. It's very popular and has been for a few years.
Old 10-05-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here, it's still eerie to read, 17 years later.
Old 10-05-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I'm figuring Landlords will win this in a runaway. It's a current thread and fresh in everyone's minds. It's very popular and has been for a few years.
As it should.
Old 10-05-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I favor the 9/11 thread for historical and emotional impact, even though I didn't participate and only read it in the archive. But landlords is also a worthy winner. Glad the two didn't knock each other out in the semis.
Old 10-08-18, 03:15 PM
Admin-Thanos

I wonder if this thread gets lost being a sticky? Sometimes my eye scan completely moves past the stickies because they are usually old threads just sitting there with no updates for years at a time.
Old 10-08-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't around for the 9/11, Alan got my vote.
Old 10-09-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I wonder if this thread gets lost being a sticky? Sometimes my eye scan completely moves past the stickies because they are usually old threads just sitting there with no updates for years at a time.
It's not getting much traction because the Dems around here are too lazy to vote.

Yoink!

Old 10-09-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I might be biased because I got one but I voted for crayon thread. It was wonderfully interactive.
Still my favorite forum thing ever.
Old 10-10-18, 09:54 AM
Admin-Thanos

It's very early voting. Only 10% of precincts reporting, but Landlords is not at the level I expected.
Old 10-10-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Landlord thread.
Old 10-10-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the landlord thread lost some spark when one realizes he has (I believe) a mental condition that won't be addressed. It had great potential. It did help others in the latter years.
Old 10-14-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I tend to navigate by New Posts rather than by forum, so if a thread doesn’t get bumped, I’m less likely to see it. But also yes, if I’m in a subforum I’m less likely to see a sticky when there are newly updated threads to read.

(This was an intentional bump.)
Old 10-14-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The WTC thread was great because it had the impact of live news. Unfortunately it also demonstrated how unfounded rumors and misinformation spread quickly. The landlord thread has helped a few to take stock in their lives and learn to live without the collections that had been weighing down their lives...well, except for the OP.
Old 10-18-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for the Eddie Money divorce thread. Everyone has a 9/11 story, but Eddie Money was unique to us.
Old 10-19-18, 08:22 AM
Admin-Thanos

I think the finals vote will have less votes than the playoff votes. Things are dying here.

Old 10-19-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I voted for the Eddie Money divorce thread. Everyone has a 9/11 story, but Eddie Money was unique to us.
I agree, however I had to go with the one that shocked and made me laugh the hardest. The Dating Thread.
Old 10-24-18, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I'm still torn on how to vote on this, or if I'll even vote on it at all. My instincts say to vote for the 9/11 thread, as that's the most historically important. It'd be different if there were different votes for that versus ones that were just the most fun.
Old 10-26-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the landlord thread only leads because it is not only fresh, but many voters weren't around for some of the other stuff. No way is that the best thread in DVDTalk history. No. Fucking. Way.
Old 10-26-18, 01:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
the landlord thread only leads because it is not only fresh, but many voters weren't around for some of the other stuff. No way is that the best thread in DVDTalk history. No. Fucking. Way.
Depends on your definition of best, right? The landlord thread isnít about Alan. The landlord thread is one of the few threads that has actually helped multiple people. Some of the other threads are funnier, or more emotionally moving, or possibly have more forum-bonding. But what is best?
Old 10-26-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Depends on your definition of best, right? The landlord thread isnít about Alan. The landlord thread is one of the few threads that has actually helped multiple people. Some of the other threads are funnier, or more emotionally moving, or possibly have more forum-bonding. But what is best?
I don't think there is any definition of best that has that one at the top. You disagree, and that's fine, that's why we have opinions. But as you know, this place has a LONG history, and even if "thread that helped the most people" is your definition, I don't think that thread is it. But I'll admit, I've never really understood what people find so compelling about that thread. Like many, I don't read every thread, but when a thread sticks around, and keeps going, I check it out if only to find out why it's been sticking around so long. The dating advice thread was like that for me. Usually, the threads that do stick around are worth it, but after reading a bunch, that thread didn't do anything for me.
Old 10-26-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Different strokes for different folks. I didn't find the Drinkman Chronicles very funny or interesting but I know I'm in the minority there. I actually enjoyed threads started by Spottedfeather, Danol and moviefan2k4 just to watch them dig themselves deeper in a hole and self-implode.
The reason I voted for the landlord thread is that in a tiny way, Alan represents many of us who built a collection of DVDs with the information gleaned from this site's users. Alan took his collecting to the extreme and is now consumed by it. It's like watching an episode of Hoarders without the ending where they finally get to return to a semi-clean home. Most of us don't expect Alan to ever solve his problem. Some of us expect to read about the eventual fire that kills him and his neighbors, but in the meantime we can watch the story unfold and hopefully help a few others to get out from under their own hoards.
Old 10-26-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

maybe that's just it, he doesn't represent me, because I never was into nor collected DVDs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.