Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Woman says she lost $35k exchanging freezer

Old 09-21-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Woman says she lost $35k exchanging freezer

https://ktla.com/2018/09/21/colorado...-it-at-costco/

A Colorado woman with an aggressive form of multiple sclerosis is desperate to find her life savings, which was stored in her freezer, after she says she exchanged the freezer for a new one from Costco.

“I had it in the freezer because if the house burned down, the freezer stuff doesn’t burn,” Renee Reese said in an interview with Denver television station KMGH.

As bizarre as that may sound, she said it’s no joke. Reese has been pressuring Costco since the beginning of June to help track down the money and anyone who may have come in contact with it.

She estimates she had stored in upwards of $35,000, in large denomination bills, in the freezer. She said they were in a Ziploc bag and wrapped in white paper towels, which blended in with the freezer door when Costco’s subcontracted delivery workers arrived to exchange her old refrigerator and freezer for a new set.

“The financial strain has devastated me and because I’m so sick I don’t have any way to recover it,” Reese said.

Her multiple sclerosis has increasingly destroyed her mobility. That’s why she wanted a new refrigerator and freezer combo, with dual French doors, so she could more easily access the contents inside.

“[If] you’re pulling out a large item with a disability, the doors need to stay open,” Reese said while explaining that she needed to make the exchange after the first new refrigerator and freezer combo she purchased had a design defect in the doors.

She said she used her freezer as a temporary, would-be bank for her small business deposits and savings to limit the number of trips she needed to take to her real bank.

“It was a safe place to put it in case there was a fire,” Reese said. “Because I had no need to get in it for any reason other than to deposit it.”

She said Costco’s subcontracted delivery people arrived at her home for the exchange with little notice, after she hardly slept the night before while mourning a longtime friend. In the process of hurriedly clearing out the defective refrigerator and freezer combo, she overlooked the bag of money.

“I thought my daughter had grabbed it, she thought I had grabbed it, then when I went to look for it to put it back, it wasn’t there,” Reese said.

She filed a report with the Thornton Police Department after tearing apart her house in search of the money. She also opened a claim with Costco. She said the company tracked down the old unit but said the money was not inside.

Frustrated that the company had not done more to question its employees, along with its multiple subcontracted delivery companies in Colorado, Reese’s friend contacted KMGH.

The station got in touch with Costco beginning late last week. A spokesperson said the company is looking into the matter once more, but has not yet completed the work. The company has not yet responded to questions about its background check process.

“There’s a thousand reasons why I couldn’t get to the bank. I wasn’t physically able to,” Reese said in an effort to stave off critics.

KMGH was able to track down the small delivery company that actually handled the refrigerator exchange at Reese’s home. It said it also has not seen the money.
I'm thinkin' if my "liife savings" were in a fridge I'd make a special note to remove such savings when getting my appliance replaced. With my B.S. meter pegged I just assume this is to try to get the gullible out there to donate to what I'm sure will be a gofundme page to be set up shortly titled "Pay me to be an idiot!". I'm sure she'll get plenty.
Old 09-21-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Woman says she lost $35k exchanging freezer

I'm betting on the daughter buying a new car in the coming weeks.
Old 09-21-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I'm betting on the daughter buying a new car in the coming weeks.
My favorite part, in the video, is when she says "Who's checking these people? What if they're rapists of pedophiles?".

Yeah that's a natural conclusion to come to.
Old 09-21-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Her multiple sclerosis has increasingly destroyed her mobility.
Destroyed her brains, too.

P.S. Not entirely uncommon to call a bank, and have a rep make a special deposit for the handicapped person. Takes a little work, getting another witness, etc., but for 35K, it would have certainly been worth it and...would have gotten some kind of a return on that sum of cash.
Old 09-21-18, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Thatís a lot of cold cash.
Old 09-21-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI the body goes in the freezer, not the money.
Old 09-21-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to know why the freezer was being exchanged in the first place.
Old 09-21-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It seemed she wanted a new fridge. Freezer was part of it.
Old 09-21-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's just so much WTF in that article.

It reminds me of a children's mystery story where the money was hidden under the wallpaper. Why would anyone keep a 3-inch stack of $100 bills in the freezer so she doesn't have to go to the bank as often?

How long did she have that refrigerator before she exchanged it at Costco? I hate people who abuse the system. Did nobody notice that there was a good-sized object in the freezer that could be spoiled food, and should probably be removed before it stunk up the Costco warehouse? I mean, I would remove the frozen shrimp before I returned a freezer to Costco. Or did they think, "Eh. Once they roll it away, it's not my problem."
Old 09-22-18, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m betting the IRS takes note of this story ... Keeping $35K in cash from your “small business”? Nah, no red flags there.
Old 09-22-18, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
My favorite part, in the video, is when she says "Who's checking these people? What if they're rapists of pedophiles?".

Yeah that's a natural conclusion to come to.
I'd like to feel bad for her for losing such a substantial amount of money, but that ridiculous comment makes think she has to be pulling some kind of scam.

And given the number of times her daughter was mentioned, why didn't she take the money to the bank?
Old 09-22-18, 06:15 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Aunt had MS for several years, never was her brain addled enough to do something that stupid. If the daughter was enough a part of this woman's life, the daughter could've very easily been given power of attorney to handle affairs for her mother. My reality shits all over that story.
Old 09-22-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear of an older person with a large amount of cash stashed away, and I think of a miser.

If that's what's going on here, the solution is simple. Tell her you found her money, wrap up some newspapers in paper towels and stick them in her new freezer. She'll be happy.
Old 09-22-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The closest I came to reliving this story is an incident that happened over a year ago.

When I visit my parents, my mom always wants to give me money but I refuse. So what she started doing was hiding my money in my bag or an item she gives me to take home.

Well this time she gave me a couple of rolls to put in the freezer to store and use whenever I want to make a sandwich. Turns out my mom put a $50 bill in one of the rolls (the roll was cut in half and she put the bill in between). Well I had forgotten all about the rolls for months, (my freezer is jam packed and I lose sight of things), until out of the blue my mom asked if I ever used the rolls she gave me. I told her I didn't and that I might have thrown them out, and then she told me about the hidden $50 in one of them. Luckily they were still in the freezer. After that, I always check carefully everything my mom gives me to take home before I leave
Old 09-22-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thatís not too bad, Smithee keeps VCDs in his freezer!
Old 09-22-18, 12:58 PM

Like everyone else, I call bullshit on this story.

I can't see forgetting the $ in the freezer. As others have said - while MS is a horrible debilitating illness, I've never heard of it causing brain damage/early Alzheimer's, etc.

However, even on the off chance she did forget the $ was in the freezer, it makes no sense that she wouldn't have checked the freezer beforehand to make sure everything was taken out prior to getting rid of this. Obviously, when the freezer is unplugged everything in this is going to spoil - so, either she or the Costco people should have noticed this prior to it being removed from her house - the story that the money package "blended with the freezer door" sounds like a load of crap.
Old 09-22-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Build that wall!

Old 09-22-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
The closest I came to reliving this story is an incident that happened over a year ago.

When I visit my parents, my mom always wants to give me money but I refuse. So what she started doing was hiding my money in my bag or an item she gives me to take home.

Well this time she gave me a couple of rolls to put in the freezer to store and use whenever I want to make a sandwich. Turns out my mom put a $50 bill in one of the rolls (the roll was cut in half and she put the bill in between). Well I had forgotten all about the rolls for months, (my freezer is jam packed and I lose sight of things), until out of the blue my mom asked if I ever used the rolls she gave me. I told her I didn't and that I might have thrown them out, and then she told me about the hidden $50 in one of them. Luckily they were still in the freezer. After that, I always check carefully everything my mom gives me to take home before I leave
I had a similar thing happen. When my husband and I were dating, he stuffed $100 in the console of my car and didn't tell me. I was cleaning to move out of my short term rental at the end of my contract job, and cleaned out the car as well. I was being a fast and efficient cleaner, but as I was taking out a bag of trash, I noticed a $20 bill in it. I found the other 4 bills once I searched. Glad I noticed, and glad the trash was just dry, not really dirty stuff! He put it in there in case I ever got into a situation where I would need a little cash.

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Like everyone else, I call bullshit on this story.

I can't see forgetting the $ in the freezer. As others have said - while MS is a horrible debilitating illness, I've never heard of it causing brain damage/early Alzheimer's, etc.
--snip--
Actually, MS can cause cognitive impairment or dementia. It's inconsistent, but I have worked with a few patients who had pretty severe cognitive impairment with their MS.
Old 09-22-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Better look in their deep freezers tasha!
Old 09-23-18, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Couple tales from my misspent youth regarding hiding and losing stuff.

A good friend of mine worked assembly at GM. During layoffs he sold pot to make ends meet.
There were these five marines who rented this big farmhouse outside town. They rented it all year but spent their leaves there throwing these huge parties every night.
After one of these parties, which I did not attend, some guy had been killed with an axe and his body thrown off an overpass. First time there had been a murder in the town.
The police tracked down and was questioning everybody who had been at the party, including my pot dealer friend. He became paranoid and didn't want his goods at his house. He offered me a free ounce of pot if I would keep a pound at my house.
Where did I hide it? In my fucking oven. Forgot about it. Couple days later I turned on oven to preheat for a frozen pizza. When smoke started come out of oven I remembered. Luckily I got it in time. Smoke was from the paper bag it was in.

Was going to a concert. Can't remember who. I rolled 5-6 joints in advance and put them in a cigarette cellophane. I hid them down between the seat and center console of my car for the drive to the show. When we got there I could not find them. Looked everywhere. BUMMER!
Flash forward few months. I'm getting off work about 1AM. This girl I work with asked for a ride home. We took the long way, which included getting stoned and getting horny.
Drove out to middle of nowhere to park and fuck. It was middle of winter and lots of snow on these boondocks roads. Sure as shit, got stuck. Really stuck.
We climbed into the back seat, got undressed, and spent the night smoking and fucking.
Dawn rolled around at 7am and we heard an engine coming. We scrambled to get dressed. I couldn't find my underwear.
Turned out to be a school bus full of kids. The bus gave us a ride to a gas station where I got a tow truck. Later I looked for my underwear but could not find them.
Flash forward a few months. A friend and I are sitting in my car wishing we had some pot. I mention that somewhere in this car are some joints I rolled for a concert but can't find.
We both start digging around under and between the seats hoping to find them. Suddenly my friend blurts out, "What the fuck are these?" He's holding the pair of underwear I could never find. I'm like, "Where the fuck you find those?"
Never did find those joints.
Old 09-23-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I'm thinkin' if my "liife savings" were in a fridge I'd make a special note to remove such savings when getting my appliance replaced. With my B.S. meter pegged I just assume this is to try to get the gullible out there to donate to what I'm sure will be a gofundme page to be set up shortly titled "Pay me to be an idiot!". I'm sure she'll get plenty.
I'm unsure if it's a regional, age or ethnicity thing, but around here I always hear older Italian people bragging on how they have the best place to hide money, and when I respond "the freezer" they look dumbfounded as if this is a uncommon place to sock away money (in my experience, it isn't).

That said I'm sure she'll make bank on donations.
Old 09-23-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not regional. It's a place that everyone hides valuables. According to the policeman who gave us the 'neighborhood watch' training, burglars always check the the freezer.

They also check the man's side of the bed for a gun.
Old 09-23-18, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
It's not regional. It's a place that everyone hides valuables. According to the policeman who gave us the 'neighborhood watch' training, burglars always check the the freezer.
This is why I keep a fake human head in my freezer with a sign on it that reads, "THE LAST GUY WHO TRIED TO RIP ME OFF"
Old 09-23-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
This is why I keep a fake human head in my freezer with a sign on it that reads, "THE LAST GUY WHO TRIED TO RIP ME OFF"
Old 09-23-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also know people who hide money in their freezer. At least one of those people also keep the passwords to all of their accounts printed out next to the computer, albeit with a reference to what the password is, as opposed to the actual password. It wouldn't take much to crack those mysteries.

My anecdotal experience is when people come to haul appliances away from my home, they look inside them first.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.