Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

help me buy... magnets.

Old 09-08-18, 06:58 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

help me buy... magnets.

Odd request... So I am working on Halloween costumes for my kids... x-wing fighter pilots. I've made some sweet helmets out of old baseball helmets... I need to find some small, but very strong magnets that I would like to use to keep the orange plastic visor on to the helmet. Can someone find some on amazon that they'd recommend?? I bought some button ones at Walmart, and they just aren't strong enough... help me Otterwan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
Old 09-08-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: help me buy... magnets.

I have purchased a lot of rare earth magnets of various sizes off of Amazon. Unless things have changed, they have many different ones to choose from. I especially like the ones with tapered screw holes in them so you can screw them into a particular spot (carefully, since they are a bit fragile).

If you want something faster and cheaper, your local Harbor Freight has these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-pie...ets-67488.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...cks-98406.html

I have several of their craft magnets in my workshop as I use metal pegboard and often just hold tools to it with magnets instead of clips. These are probably not as small and weak as you want though so get the rare earth ones.
Old 09-08-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don’t forget to get the instruction manual:

Seriously though ... you rock and we want to see pictures of the costumes!
Old 09-08-18, 08:14 PM

Neodymium magnets. There are tons of sellers on ebay.
Old 09-08-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rare earth magnets are tricky. They hold together hard, but you have to be careful not to break them when you separate them.

How about hard drive magnets? They aren't as brittle, and they are mounted on a metal piece you can use to prise them apart.
Old 09-08-18, 08:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hoping to glue them to the top of the orange safety glasses and the others to the inside of the helmet... essentially just having them at opposite poles so that the magnets would stick to each other keeping the glasses in place. So I'd need a narrow bar magnet or multiple little button magnets to accomplish this.
Old 09-09-18, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have any containers that had a magnetically closed lid, they'd be perfect for what you're doing.

I'm not describing it well, but I've found them in things like Scotch gift packs where the front of the box swings open. The magnets hold it closed. They're usually very small, but very powerful, and they come in square profile rods. Like this, with a pen for scale.

Old 09-09-18, 11:11 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
we want to see pictures of the costumes!

Old 09-09-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^
Those are looking great!
Old 09-09-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had an issue a while back with my son's car - the gas tank door latch broke, and it was a PITA to find a replacement for a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara. I decided to pick up a handful of assorted rare earth magnets from a few different sellers on eBay, and see what would happen. Managed to find a spot where I could make close contact, and superglued one to the tank door, and one to the body of the vehicle. Worked like a charm, and has held up for six months or so.

Most of them shipped from China, but I think just about all were here in a little over a week. I spent maybe $10, and had a nice assortment left over for random uses in the future.
Old 09-09-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't buy too many at one time or you'll screw up the Earth's polarization.

Buy in small quantities.
Old 09-09-18, 06:24 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Odd request... So I am working on Halloween costumes for my kids... x-wing fighter pilots. I've made some sweet helmets out of old baseball helmets... I need to find some small, but very strong magnets that I would like to use to keep the orange plastic visor on to the helmet. Can someone find some on amazon that they'd recommend?? I bought some button ones at Walmart, and they just aren't strong enough... help me Otterwan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Mythbusters said if you put your hand between two strong magnets, you'll lose your hand. I think you're taking the Star Wars thing a bit too far.
Old 09-10-18, 08:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Be careful how you glue them... a hot glue gun can actually demagnetize your magnets.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp...odymum-magnets