Reload this Page >

USPS(not receiving all mail)?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-08-18, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

For some reason many months ago they had me as no longer at my current address. I have been here over 38 years and still remain at the same address.

Certain bills aren't being received.

My mail goes in a locked box so it's not being stolen.

Rather than waste time talking too my local post office,is there another phone number of maybe a regional supervisor because the service I receive from the local office is beyond horrible. I can't really call them and complain because it's pointless unless you talk too an higher up supervisor.

Last thing I want too do is go there is person.
Old 09-08-18, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: USPS(not receiving all mail)?

I get all my bills electronically so the majority of my postal mail is junk. I recommend you do the same.
Old 09-08-18, 07:34 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I would recommend doing 2 things:

1. Take Vibiana's advice and get as much delivered electronically as you can.
2. Sign up for USPS Informed delivery at USPS.com, once your account gets confirmed you'll start getting a daily email that has scans of what you should be receiving, you then compare that against what you actually received. There is also a function on there to report when you didn't receive a certain mailpiece, although I don't know if that particular function gets any real results.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Old 09-08-18, 07:38 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's a better link to sign up for Informed Delivery:

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action
Old 09-08-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I do pay as much as possible online ,on the phone, etc.

I wonder where is my mail being intercepted and returned to sender.

This was what was happening with electric bill and a CC bill.
Old 09-08-18, 11:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I will second the Informed Delivery sign-up suggestion. Great service but not perfect. Locally there have been a rash of mail box break-ins and if it happens it's nice to see what they might have gotten. Besides that I also like the package tracking and it normally shows delivery time so I know when to head off to the mail box to grab my stuff.
Old 09-08-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 157 Likes on 81 Posts

If your mail was returned to sender several times, they might have stopped trying to send it to you. You might have to contact each company you're not receiving mail from and confirm your address.
If they confirm it is being sent, and to the correct address, I would still contact the local post office and ask to speak to the Postmaster. They're often not available, but should call you back. They should be able to initiate a trace on any known missing pieces of mail as long as you have the address it was sent from.
I would only speak to a Postmaster, and if the local one isn't any help, ask for the main distribution site for your area if you don't know it, and speak to that Postmaster. Or, contact 800-ASK-USPS, they might just send you to the local, but if you're not getting help at the local then go through them. You can get their name here: https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/po...er/welcome.htm
Old 09-08-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by slybone View Post
Here's a better link to sign up for Informed Delivery:

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action
I was getting emails every day for the last two years and then suddenly, I haven't gotten one in a long time. I have no idea what happened.
Old 09-08-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Iíve been through it all. It usually comes down to your local post office or your postman. If someone doesnít care, theyíll just file mail wherever until they get fired. And then getting fired is a hassle, even though theyíre terrible at their job, because of union rules.

I once had an address that was horrible. Guy might as well just left the wind deliver the mail.
Old 09-08-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I was getting emails every day for the last two years and then suddenly, I haven't gotten one in a long time. I have no idea what happened.
Iíd be worried that someone else claimed your address and is on the lookout for interesting mail. You may want to follow up on that.
Old 09-09-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you live in a rural area where mail delivery is contracted out?

I do and, although I personally never had an issue with undelivered mail, there were two separate occurrences within my community. I've heard and read of similar incidents occurring elsewhere.

In my community the incidents happened over a decade time frame and both times the delivery people simply didn't deliver all the mail they were given. In both instances the people involved were eventually investigated. They had their homes raided and postal authorities found piles upon piles of mail sacks containing undelivered mail.

And it wasn't like they were looking for valuable mail. They just got tired, quit early some days, and took home whatever was left.
Old 09-09-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just sign up for paperless billing and be done with it.
Old 09-09-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

As a (small) added benefit, signing up for Informed Delivery also creates a "regular" USPS account... in case you want to buy stamps or ship packages online.
Old 09-09-18, 11:46 PM

Run your address here: https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress

Where I work if we get mail returned we run the address here to see if it's valid. Alot of times on addresses that don't match, the zip code has changed due to Tax Jurisdiction or re-zoning and the residents usually don't get notified.
Old 04-11-20, 10:42 AM

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Is anyone seeing huge delays or weird routes with shipping or receiving packages? Obviously things will be delayed due to COVID 19, but Iíve seen packages mailed that go halfway across the country when they should be going from NJ to NY.
Old 04-11-20, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Is anyone seeing huge delays or weird routes with shipping or receiving packages? Obviously things will be delayed due to COVID 19, but Iíve seen packages mailed that go halfway across the country when they should be going from NJ to NY.

Thatís not surprising if they are having issues with staffing or keeping facilities open.

If you mail a letter in Springfield to somebody in Springfield, USPS takes it from Springfield to St. Louis and then back to Springfield.

I worked there for 2 1/2 years back in college ... Since then I have worked for some very dysfunctional organizations, but none have held a candle to the incompetence and mismanagement of the USPS.
Old 04-11-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

I ship stuff a number of times a week and haven't noticed any slowdown in the packages arriving, but the USPS tracking can be real spotty. Last week, I dropped off a package on Friday and it didn't show up in the tracking tracking until Monday - when it was out for delivery. The past few weeks, the post office has been busier than normal. Package piled up like Christmas!

To Abob's comment - I have watched a package or two go across country before arriving back where it was intended. Always amusing.
Old 04-11-20, 11:29 AM

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,113 Posts

A lot of this stuff is eBay sales shipped media mail. I hope they don’t get lost entirely.
Old 04-11-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

International USPS has been a little slow. If I had to guess, maybe customs is quarantining packages or something.

Tracking is always spotty. It comes down to your local post office. Some offices are great. Some suck.

If you can, deliverer your packages to your nearest annex (the big distribution post office) is a great way to speed things up by a day. After shipping for twenty years, I just discovered that a few months ago. If your postman picks up a Priority Mail package today, it might not make it on a truck to the local annex till tomorrow. Then it goes for the long haul, and then delivery. But if you drop it off straight at the annex, that package can be on the next long haul truck. First Class gets lower priority, and can sit at your post office for 1-4 days if the trucks are filling up with Express and Priority Mail.
Old 04-11-20, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Some countries (specifically Japan) are going to start (or have already started) refusing to accept international mail.
Old 04-15-20, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Well, I'm sure you know this, but you don't get an email if they're not delivering anything (magazines, the weekly pack of grocery store\cable company\Arby's ads, and junk email addressed to "occupant" or "current resident" aren't included in Informed Delivery).

I also got the emails regularly, but they became kind of spotty last fall. I moved 1,700 feet down the road and did a change of address, and they've been accurate and daily (when something's being delivered) since November 5 of last year.
Old 04-16-20, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Some countries (specifically Japan) are going to start (or have already started) refusing to accept international mail.
Yea. I got my first reject for a UAE shipment.

I have a few pending deliveries that I'm worried about. Off the top of my head, one Argentina and one Italy. Luckily the customers are understanding.

Knowing the post office, it's probably 'no refunds' on rejected shipments. It's always around $40 to $100 for little 2-10 pound packages.
Old 03-15-21, 07:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My tax forms were delivered by UPS. Does Dejoy have his greasy hands in the IRS?
Old 09-06-21, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Just venting here. An Amazon package was supposed to be delivered today by the USPS (surprising considering today's a holiday, but whatever). I just got a notification the package wasn't delivered with the following reason: "Delivery attempted, but front door or driveway was not accessible.". Bullshit. My driveway is easily accessible, and my front door is open because its a beautiful day. I've been at my dining-room table, close to the front door and with a view of the street all day, and I haven't seen a single USPS truck go by today.
Old 09-06-21, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Just venting here. An Amazon package was supposed to be delivered today by the USPS (surprising considering today's a holiday, but whatever). I just got a notification the package wasn't delivered with the following reason: "Delivery attempted, but front door or driveway was not accessible.". Bullshit. My driveway is easily accessible, and my front door is open because its a beautiful day. I've been at my dining-room table, close to the front door and with a view of the street all day, and I haven't seen a single USPS truck go by today.
I've received the same notice before. It usually is on a day they normally would not deliver (Sunday/Holiday). Then magically they are able to deliver it the next day without any problems.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.