Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

USPS(not receiving all mail)?

Old 09-08-18, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

USPS(not receiving all mail)?

For some reason many months ago they had me as no longer at my current address. I have been here over 38 years and still remain at the same address.

Certain bills aren't being received.

My mail goes in a locked box so it's not being stolen.

Rather than waste time talking too my local post office,is there another phone number of maybe a regional supervisor because the service I receive from the local office is beyond horrible. I can't really call them and complain because it's pointless unless you talk too an higher up supervisor.

Last thing I want too do is go there is person.
Old 09-08-18, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: USPS(not receiving all mail)?

I get all my bills electronically so the majority of my postal mail is junk. I recommend you do the same.
Old 09-08-18, 07:34 AM

I would recommend doing 2 things:

1. Take Vibiana's advice and get as much delivered electronically as you can.
2. Sign up for USPS Informed delivery at USPS.com, once your account gets confirmed you'll start getting a daily email that has scans of what you should be receiving, you then compare that against what you actually received. There is also a function on there to report when you didn't receive a certain mailpiece, although I don't know if that particular function gets any real results.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Old 09-08-18, 07:38 AM

Here's a better link to sign up for Informed Delivery:

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action
Old 09-08-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info.

I do pay as much as possible online ,on the phone, etc.

I wonder where is my mail being intercepted and returned to sender.

This was what was happening with electric bill and a CC bill.
Old 09-08-18, 11:09 AM

I will second the Informed Delivery sign-up suggestion. Great service but not perfect. Locally there have been a rash of mail box break-ins and if it happens it's nice to see what they might have gotten. Besides that I also like the package tracking and it normally shows delivery time so I know when to head off to the mail box to grab my stuff.
Old 09-08-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If your mail was returned to sender several times, they might have stopped trying to send it to you. You might have to contact each company you're not receiving mail from and confirm your address.
If they confirm it is being sent, and to the correct address, I would still contact the local post office and ask to speak to the Postmaster. They're often not available, but should call you back. They should be able to initiate a trace on any known missing pieces of mail as long as you have the address it was sent from.
I would only speak to a Postmaster, and if the local one isn't any help, ask for the main distribution site for your area if you don't know it, and speak to that Postmaster. Or, contact 800-ASK-USPS, they might just send you to the local, but if you're not getting help at the local then go through them. You can get their name here: https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/po...er/welcome.htm
Old 09-08-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slybone View Post
Here's a better link to sign up for Informed Delivery:

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action
I was getting emails every day for the last two years and then suddenly, I haven't gotten one in a long time. I have no idea what happened.
Old 09-08-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve been through it all. It usually comes down to your local post office or your postman. If someone doesn’t care, they’ll just file mail wherever until they get fired. And then getting fired is a hassle, even though they’re terrible at their job, because of union rules.

I once had an address that was horrible. Guy might as well just left the wind deliver the mail.
Old 09-08-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I was getting emails every day for the last two years and then suddenly, I haven't gotten one in a long time. I have no idea what happened.
I’d be worried that someone else claimed your address and is on the lookout for interesting mail. You may want to follow up on that.
Old 09-09-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you live in a rural area where mail delivery is contracted out?

I do and, although I personally never had an issue with undelivered mail, there were two separate occurrences within my community. I've heard and read of similar incidents occurring elsewhere.

In my community the incidents happened over a decade time frame and both times the delivery people simply didn't deliver all the mail they were given. In both instances the people involved were eventually investigated. They had their homes raided and postal authorities found piles upon piles of mail sacks containing undelivered mail.

And it wasn't like they were looking for valuable mail. They just got tired, quit early some days, and took home whatever was left.
Old 09-09-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just sign up for paperless billing and be done with it.
Old 09-09-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a (small) added benefit, signing up for Informed Delivery also creates a "regular" USPS account... in case you want to buy stamps or ship packages online.
Old 09-09-18, 11:46 PM

Run your address here: https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress

Where I work if we get mail returned we run the address here to see if it's valid. Alot of times on addresses that don't match, the zip code has changed due to Tax Jurisdiction or re-zoning and the residents usually don't get notified.