Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

'Leaning Tower of San Francisco' has new problem with cracked window

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-06-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever since this 58 story residential high rise was completed in 2009, it's been sinking, and it's also tilted. The wikipedia article says they didn't put the foundation deep enough in the ground. In 2017, city inspectors said the building was safe to live in.

Now there's a new problem - a window on the 26th floor has cracked.

I don't believe the city's claim that this building is safe.

The people who live their spent millions of dollars on each of their units. Lawsuits have been filed. I hope everyone gets a full refund.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/-leaning-to...cracked-window

September 5, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO - A cracked window on the 36th floor of the Millennium Tower is the latest problem for the sinking and tilting San Francisco skyscraper.

The window cracked early Saturday at the posh $350 million Mission Street tower, the tallest residential building in San Francisco.

City officials have blocked off part of the sidewalk on Mission Street as a precaution, but say it doesn’t appear the cracked window is presenting a safety issue to those on the ground.

The San Francisco Building Inspection Department said they immediately dispatched an inspector. He wasn't able to enter the unit because the resident was not there, according to William Strawn of the SF Building Inspection Department.

City inspectors did on Tuesday issue a “correction notice,” giving the building’s management until the close of business Friday to report back on the extent of the problem and the repairs needed.

Supervisor Aaron Peskin has held a series of hearings about the 58-story Millennium Tower since it became clear that the skyscraper has major structural problems.

Peskin said additional problems with windows, which are designed to withstand hurricane force winds, could cause catastrophic problems.

“If a window failed entirely it would rain shards of glass hundreds of feet below down onto one of the busiest, most congested parts of the city,’’ Peskin told the San Francisco Chronicle. “The city better take this seriously.”

The building, known as the Leaning Tower of San Francisco, has sunk about 18 inches into the ground and tilted more than a foot since its completion in 2009. Residents have filed multiple lawsuits against the developer and the city over the structural problems.

It has not yet been determined if the cracked window is directly related to tower’s previous structural issues.

Building Manager Michael Scofield, who updated residents about the incident in an email Monday, said “from the description of the incident given by residents, it is possible that this incident is related to other issues in the building.”

Engineers say, there are many reasons that glass in a building can crack. It can be from defects in the glass itself or the glazing that covers it. It could also be from impacts from outside or inside. It could also be from stresses, everything from high winds to settling of the building.

"Immediately, we went over and inspected the unit personally and we arranged for our experts to come in," said Millennium Towers homeowner and President of the Homeowners Association, Steven Mayer.

"What our structural engineer preliminarily has to say as well as our administration or window expert is that this is a one off issue right now, but we are continuing to address the problem and we will have a more definitive answer in the next 24 to 72 hours from our expert," said Homeowners Association attorney Tom Miller. So, one crack, no big deal. But, if more start showing up, potential major deal. "So, if we see a pattern, then it becomes a systemic problem we then have to address it on all units," said attorney Miller.
Old 09-06-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 'Leaning Tower of San Francisco' has new problem with cracked window

Isn't this the same city that has a transient problem which is one of the worst in the nation, and virtually endless needles are strewn all over the place in some districts--thanks to the "Hey, we give you FREE needles to shoot up, man!" idea.

But yet SF leaders say it's not a problem and everyone is safe.

Hell if I'd live IN or NEAR anything deemed safe by that city.

I'm surprised it's just one cracked window.
Old 09-06-18, 09:57 PM

Yeh the entire west coast has a homeless problem. But at the same time, I think it's an example of how bad our culture/political system is that we don't even bat an eye at someone who is mentally ill living on the streets or clearly not doing well.
Old 09-06-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I want to say 60 Minutes did a piece on this building that I saw. Pretty crazy that something like this can happen in this day and age in a society where everything is so regulated. People that bought in early are dumping their condos for pennies on the dollar just to get out of it.
Old 09-06-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Isn't this the same city that has a transient problem which is one of the worst in the nation, and virtually endless needles are strewn all over the place in some districts--thanks to the "Hey, we give you FREE needles to shoot up, man!" idea.

But yet SF leaders say it's not a problem and everyone is safe.

Hell if I'd live IN or NEAR anything deemed safe by that city.

I'm surprised it's just one cracked window.

Yes.
Old 09-06-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
Yeh the entire west coast has a homeless problem. But at the same time, I think it's an example of how bad our culture/political system is that we don't even bat an eye at someone who is mentally ill living on the streets or clearly not doing well.

In case you're not aware of it, there's already another thread on the homeless.

That doesn't mean we can't talk about it in this thread too. I just thought you might want to read and/or post in that other thread.

Last edited by grundle; 09-06-18 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I want to say 60 Minutes did a piece on this building that I saw. Pretty crazy that something like this can happen in this day and age in a society where everything is so regulated. People that bought in early are dumping their condos for pennies on the dollar just to get out of it.

Thanks for the tip.

The complete video can be seen here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/millenn...ts-60-minutes/
Old 09-07-18, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A fool and his money is easily parted. The saddest part of the whole story is that many hundreds of people paid MILLIONS of dollars *each* to live in this building.

One case where, although I do have some sympathy for these 'poor' sods, I also let out a little laugh as well. Just like those fabulously wealthy people who are stupid enough to choose to live on the cliffs of Malibu. They cry the blues when landslides occur and their obnoxiously large 'estates' fall into the ocean, and I also laugh a little.

Caveat emptor, rich brethern, caveat emptor.
Old 09-07-18, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my biggest peeves - shoddy construction / engineering

You pay a company who is suppose to be experts in their field to make a quality product. And they fail.

Maybe that’s why my career is in Quality Assurance. I want my clients / customers to have a quality product.
Old 09-07-18, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
Maybe that’s why my career is in Quality Assurance. I want my clients / customers to have a quality product.
Sure wish there were more of you in this shoddy profit-at-all-costs world. Let me guess: You're overworked and underpaid?
Old 09-07-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
A fool and his money is easily parted. The saddest part of the whole story is that many hundreds of people paid MILLIONS of dollars *each* to live in this building.

One case where, although I do have some sympathy for these 'poor' sods, I also let out a little laugh as well. Just like those fabulously wealthy people who are stupid enough to choose to live on the cliffs of Malibu. They cry the blues when landslides occur and their obnoxiously large 'estates' fall into the ocean, and I also laugh a little.

Caveat emptor, rich brethern, caveat emptor.
If I recall, Joe Montana was one of the suckers who owned a unit here. Not sure if he managed to dump it since though.
Old 09-07-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember when I said San Francisco isn't an ideal place for large constructions, not due just to the frequent earthquakes but mainly due to the lack of bedrock it is built on? This building is what happens when you try to build things taller than you should. Grundle, you can't simultaneously mock San Francisco for not building more high-rise residential housing and also that the high-rise housing built is unstable.

Also, San Francisco is now exponentially less seedy than when I left 12 years ago. Walking late at night in the Tenderloin used to be slightly dicey, but now there aren't even people offering you drugs every other block or hiding things in your cars wheel well. Anyone saying how filthy and homeless ridden it is never visited previously.
Old 09-07-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Remember when I said San Francisco isn't an ideal place for large constructions, not due just to the frequent earthquakes but mainly due to the lack of bedrock it is built on? This building is what happens when you try to build things taller than you should. Grundle, you can't simultaneously mock San Francisco for not building more high-rise residential housing and also that the high-rise housing built is unstable.
I sure the fuck remember.
Old 09-07-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I’ve visited SF every 5 or so years for the last 40 years. My last two trips, in 2015 and 2017 were the worst. I still had fun, but I saw some crazy shit. The city is at rock bottom. So much trash in the gutters that the trash is as high as the curb. That’s a lot of trash. Outside the Ferry building one morning one of those small green public toilets like this.

The door rotated open and inside is a small fire. Not like vandalism. It’s like a small, neatly made little camp fire, but smoke is just pouring out. And the door rotated shut. I think the guy died. My daughter was 6 and she’s like, “was somebody in there?” And I said, “I guess. Let’s keep going.”
Old 09-07-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I’ve visited SF every 5 or so years for the last 40 years. My last two trips, in 2015 and 2017 were the worst. I still had fun, but I saw some crazy shit. The city is at rock bottom. So much trash in the gutters that the trash is as high as the curb. That’s a lot of trash.
Not sure where you were going, but the city is cleaner now than it has been anytime in my lifetime (which is about as long as you have been visiting). Those scooters everywhere are ridiculous, but that is a different problem. If you aren't seeing crazy shit, then you aren't visiting San Francisco right.
Old 09-07-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember when I said San Francisco isn't an ideal place for large constructions, not due just to the frequent earthquakes but mainly due to the lack of bedrock it is built on? This building is what happens when you try to build things taller than you should. Grundle, you can't simultaneously mock San Francisco for not building more high-rise residential housing and also that the high-rise housing built is unstable
The worst make is there is bedrock under the building. These developers just cheaped out and didn’t anchor deep enough to the bedrock. Apparently they have never seen sand shift or get washed out. The “fix” is dig deeper and attach it like they should have.
Old 09-07-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^???

So a guy is possibly dying and you show your daughter it's just best to leave him there?
Old 09-07-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
The worst make is there is bedrock under the building. These developers just cheaped out and didn’t anchor deep enough to the bedrock. Apparently they have never seen sand shift or get washed out. The “fix” is dig deeper and attach it like they should have.
I think my sister's father-in-law owns an apartment in that building.

I heard the current 'fix' is to drill through the basement and inject lots of pressurized grout
Old 09-07-18, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
^^^???

So a guy is possibly dying and you show your daughter it's just best to leave him there?
That's the only thing I took away from his post. Even if I wasn't sure if there was someone in there I would have spent a couple of minutes calling 911 to report the possibility and that there was a fire.

Oh well different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-07-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
One of my biggest peeves - shoddy construction / engineering

You pay a company who is suppose to be experts in their field to make a quality product. And they fail.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Sure wish there were more of you in this shoddy profit-at-all-costs world. Let me guess: You're overworked and underpaid?
Indeed, which is why soon enough Quality Assurance will go the way of the Crimson Permanent Assurance.
Old 09-07-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, San Francisco is now exponentially less seedy than when I left 12 years ago. Walking late at night in the Tenderloin used to be slightly dicey, but now there aren't even people offering you drugs every other block or hiding things in your cars wheel well. Anyone saying how filthy and homeless ridden it is never visited previously.

Conservative Radio here in LA LOOOOOOVESSSSS mocking S.F. for the homeless shit/piss in the streets problems. If you listen to them, people in S.F. are stepping in Human turds and piss puddles every 3 feet even in the nicest areas
Old 09-07-18, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like visiting San Francisco, was just there earlier in the year to catch a show and eat
Old 09-07-18, 04:58 PM

San Francisco is a good place where you can visit and openly see "how the other half lives.' The difference between the haves and the have-nots there is striking, and very evident.

Of course, the haves are winning the battle of gentrification, and I think even someone making over $100k per year who lives in SF is now considered poverty-level, or a least eligible for Section 8 housing...

I've visited the city 4-5 times in my life, and would not choose to live in the city proper, but would love to live on the Northern coast, out of the city. The climate is perfect in SF, the people are definitely wacky.
Old 09-08-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

By “the other half” do you mean homeless junkies or rich people? It’s confusing.
Old 09-08-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
By “the other half” do you mean homeless junkies or rich people? It’s confusing.
Yes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.