Reload this Page >

Freak du jour: Antivaxers try to cure kids with bleach enemas

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-06-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...-of-autism-311

Viral reports occasionally emerge online concerning people who use bleach to treat a variety of medical ailments. These treatment claims have their origins in a new age “church” that promotes a bleaching agent as a religiously protected “sacrament” capable of overcoming “most diseases known to mankind.”

While the chemical ingested as part of this dangerous treatment is not ‎sodium hypochlorite (i.e., household bleach), it is a chlorine-based oxidizer used in industrial settings for sterilization and bleaching and is therefore correctly classified as a bleaching agent.

In general, those who utilize this inherently dangerous practice on themselves or their children do so based on the work of an individual frequently described as a cult leader: former Scientologist and current Archbishop of the “Genesis II Church of Health and Healing” Jim Humble. Humble promotes his chemical sacrament as the “Master Mineral Solution” (MMS), and on his personal website, Humble describes MMS as being the potential cure for (by our count) everything.

“I know it sounds too good to be true,” he wrote, “But according to feedback I have received over the last 20 years, I think it’s safe to say MMS has the potential to overcome most diseases known to mankind.”

One person who has taken this self-evidently absurd notion and run with it is a “bishop” of Humble’s church named Kerri Rivera, who claims that MMS enemas “cure” children of their autism by killing pathogens in their gut. (She charges $120 to teach you how to treat your child on her website “CD Autism”.)

Just because MMS does not contain sodium hypochlorite does not make it not a bleaching agent, nor does it make it safe to consume. The scientific rationale for MMS’s supposed efficacy in treating autism is flawed and contains what would be a laughable explanation for what autism is if not for the fact that people actually believe her.

On her website, Rivera suggests that autism is primarily caused by things in your gut, that the disease is “made up of” viruses, bacteria, parasites, yeast, heavy metals, inflammation and food allergies, and that “MMS is proven to kill pathogens through oxidation, and to neutralize heavy metal compounds.” Without these pathogens, Rivera argues, the body can “heal” the autism. The basic assumption is that whatever autism is, it is caused by a pathogen (probably a parasite, in her view) that MMS will kill.

The claims made by Humble and his followers have no foundation in science. The only place one can find support for their dangerous ideas is in books written by leaders of their so-called church. Speaking to reporters in 2016 about Rivera’s claims, Dr. Paul Wang, a pediatrician and the senior vice president of Autism Speaks, clarified that parasites do not cause autism. “No, parasites do not cause autism,” Wang said. He added that Rivera “says that MMS is not a bleach, but it is.”

TL;DR Some parents are dangerous morons who would rather their autistic children were dead.
Old 09-06-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Freak du jour: Antivaxers try to cure kids with bleach enemas

How can I not trust a guy named Dr. Wang when discussing enemas?
Old 09-06-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These stupid assholes really just need to stop breeding, problem solved!
Old 09-06-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Well, they're trying to kill their kids thus ending their line anyway...
Old 09-06-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

While the chemical ingested as part of this dangerous treatment is not ‎sodium hypochlorite (i.e., household bleach), it is a chlorine-based oxidizer used in industrial settings for sterilization and bleaching and is therefore correctly classified as a bleaching agent.
Ok.

What this article does not mention...is that this stuff is actually used in water, to make water safer to drink for large populations. In other words, cities put this in water...that you drink.

Next.

Just because MMS does not contain sodium hypochlorite does not make it not a bleaching agent, nor does it make it safe to consume.

How many kids or adults have died from this procedure (not that I would ever do it). And as apposed to the shit that is sold as "herbal remedies" in natural stores around the country.

And what exactly is this "bleach but it's not but it is, but not really, but is" agent. Article doesn't say really, and seems to side-step the issue, ramping up the sensationalism.
Old 09-06-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

How many kids or adults have died from this procedure (not that I would ever do it).
I dunno, how many kids or adults took this crap instead of actual medicine and ended up dying because they never received proper medical treatment?
Old 09-06-18, 04:33 PM
Political Exile

Other people do it (not the exact same thing, but similar, kind of) for cosmetic reasons. Eww!

NSFW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_bleaching
Old 09-06-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

What this article does not mention...is that this stuff is actually used in water, to make water safer to drink for large populations. In other words, cities put this in water...that you drink.
Just because something is supposedly safe to drink doesn't mean that it's equally as safe to pump up your ass. It's going straight into your bloodstream through the rectal wall, which isn't the same as digesting something by a long shot.
Old 09-06-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Considering what people pump up their asses these days (especially concoctions of herbs for crying out loud), I don't see a major health concern here. From what I can tell, there's only been one single case from 2010 that is associated with this Autistic Assism process.

Now, if we got some actual proof, evidence, that children are dying, the hospitals are receiving unique cases involving kids and this chemical that is making them sick...I'll think differently. Otherwise, it seems to be a typical anti-anti-vax article, meant to spread just as much misperception as their opponents.

I've gone to a few MMS websites, and the claims they make are absurd. I won't deny otherwise. However, I just don't believe they are any different than the Colon Cleansing crowds that claim similar benefits.

But I will agree on one thing. Be careful what you put in your ass.
Old 09-07-18, 03:05 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

This is like a person I know who won't use deodorant because it gives you cancer and only wants to use organic soaps and shampoos because "you don't know what they put in those things", but will readily ingest some unknown pill to get high from some sketchy stranger.