Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Favorite YouTube Vloggers/Channels?

Old 09-02-18, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Favorite YouTube Vloggers/Channels?

Talking about Vloggers and Channels that you watch fairly regular

I have a few:

Mark Wiens -- American Food and Travel vlogger based out of Thailand. Love his channel

Chris Stuckmann -- Movie reviews

John Campea -- Movie vlogger who used to host AMC Movie Talk. He hosts 2 shows per day and also posts videos on the weekend.

Bangkok 112 -- Hidden camera vlogger who specializes in showing the night life in Southeast Asia

Best Ever Food Review Show -- Asian themed food travel show

IGN - For tech and geek news

Fung Brothers -- Asian food/travel and pop culture vloggers

Pailin's Kitchen -- Thai and Asian cooking channel

What about the rest of you? There are others that I watch occasionally, but these are the ones that I check out on a fairly consistent basis and who regularly update their channel.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-03-18 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-03-18, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Re: Favorite YouTube Vloggers/Channels?

Oddity Archive- does a far better job than I can of professing the coolness of weird or “worthless” media.
Old 09-03-18, 12:19 AM

I subscribe to about 150 channels, but these are the ones I frequently watch:

TheTimTracker - He specializes in Disney/Universal and other Orlando tourist attractions.

Theme Park Worldwide - A travel vlogger for theme parks around the world.

Chris Stuckmann - Movie reviews

Freakin' Reviews - Great reviews of kitchen gadgets and As Seen On TV products

Household Hacker - Interesting tips and life hacks

Defunctland - The history of old amusement park attractions

In The Loop - US theme park news and reviews

Tasty - Quick cooking videos that are easy to follow

Strictly Dumpling - Asian travel and food vlog

The Carpetbagger - Travel vlog for unusual American roadside attractions

The New Screen Savers - A reboot of the old Tech TV show.

Think Media - Product reviews, tips and info for Youtubers

Yellow Productions - Travel vlogger
Old 09-03-18, 12:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Almost all fun:

StrucciMovies - She does video essays on films, kind of (but not really) picking up where channels like Every Frame A Painting left off. She also dives a bit into YouTube/Social Media culture, and just released a two-hour video titled Fake Friends Episode Two: Parasocial Hell. It's fantastic stuff.

Lindsay Ellis (formerly The Nostalgia Chick) - Does good stuff about film, and has a whole set of videos on Transformers. I've only watched a couple of those, but the one specifically about Megan Fox is fantastic.

Captain Disillusion - This guy deconstructs a bunch of viral videos to show how they were faked. Really cool stuff if you have any interest in video editing / SFX. It's all a bit cheesy, but I love it. The Invisible Box Challenge is a nice short one.

Philosophy Tube - giving away a degree in philosophy, one week at a time. I think Oliver does a great job of explaining philosophical ideas in a way that's palatable to average folks. His Are You Rational? series is very good.

Kitboga - Calling phone scammers (fake IRS, "Windows", etc.). This guy is one of the best because he still treats the scammers like human beings. Some scammers don't even know they're scammers... so once the jig is up, he'll sometimes try to show them links and stuff to get more info to get them out of that shitty line of work. He posts clips on YouTube of the funnier stuff in general, but his full-length stuff is actually on Twitch.

Jacob + Katie Schwarz, The HDR Channel, Warped Perception - Nature/macro photography. Great for seeing how good your brand new 4K HDR TV is.

T-ROY COOKS - how to cook BBQ like a Texan! I watched a lot of his stuff when I first got my smoker.

Techmoan - Alan Smithee, but with a clean house and lots of really cool old tech. This guy is great at what he does, and has a good sense of humor about it all too.

Mostly fun, but sometimes political:

Folding Ideas - Typically does stuff on critiquing film editing and how it is a core part of the storytelling that sometimes gets overlooked. His video on Book of Henry was excellent.

Innuendo Studios - Mostly centered around video games and that sort of thing, but also did a deep dive series into that one gaming controversy that, in retrospect, doesn't hit the landing in the last episode, but is still excellent overall. He's improving upon those ideas with his Alt-right playbook series. But he's most famous for his video about Phil Fish, an indie video game maker that takes a look at personas and how maybe all the hate for him was a bit... much.

HBomberguy - Again, mostly video game type stuff but from a different perspective. His video on Bloodborne (and by proxy, Dark Souls) is so damn good, even though it's an hour and a half long. He also touches on the topic of Perverted Sentimentality, which is mostly about the game Undertale (which is great) but some bigger ideas, too. And yes, he's done a bunch of political take-down type videos. Those are great, but he's moved away from that stuff.

Yes, very political (so I'm putting these in spoiler tags so as not to anger anyone)

Spoiler:
ContraPoints - Probably the best YouTuber talking about politics today in a style-equal-to-substance way that is simply unmatched. Sometimes, the videos don't totally stick the landing, but I think Natalie is one of the few that tries her best to favorably explain her opponents' ideas before explaining why they're wrong/inaccurate/etc. The only downside to her stuff is that, because her humor is what I'd call Very YouTube(tm), I think it's very difficult to get the older generations to take her content as seriously as they should. Her latest on Incels is probably the best explanation of this movement anyone has made, while relating it all to her own experience as a transgender woman.

Some More News - Just truly fantastic work at dismantling very disingenuous people and they're shitty talking points. The video addressed to Kanye West is some of the best 20-some minutes of dismantling bullshit committed to video. It's a must-watch, IMO.

David Pakman - another person who strives to take a very methodical look at ideas while discussing them, and unlike his most obvious counterpart (Rubin), he actually challenges his guests when they say something dumb, racist, sexist, etc. My biggest problem with Pakman is that almost all of his video titles push into the clickbait realm without quite stepping over the edge. New content daily.

Majority Report with Sam Seder - Kinda the same as above, except maybe not quite as methodical and more "look how dumb these folks are." Same clickbaity video titles, though. Also does new content every day.

Shaun - he talks slow. But yeah, another guy who does a great job of explaining someone's position in the best possible light, then tearing it apart in a logical, methodical way. His retrospective on Charlottesville is unmatched, as it's built from almost entirely footage that the alt-right folks filmed themselves. He touches on fake outrage about video games a little, but is mostly focused on dismantling stupid ideas that have gained steam. The Great Replacement Isn't Real and A Response to "People of Color: You Are Not Oppressed" are both top-tier stuff, IMO.

Last edited by Dan; 09-03-18 at 12:25 AM. Reason: stupid YouTube embeds.
Old 09-03-18, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Strictly Dumpling - Asian travel and food vlog

Yellow Productions - Travel vlogger

I also enjoy these 2 travel vlogs, but only watch them occasionally. Strictly Dumpling is a little more food focused though. Seems like most of the time it's about seeing the host, Mike Chen, stuff his face and his reactions. He actually follows me on Instagram. I don't know how he found me.

Yellow Productions is cool. I don't watch him that regularly, but he puts out good and informative vlogs for some locales I'm interested in. They do feel lower budget compared to some others. The host Chris seems down to earth, but the Yellow shirts he always wears and toy Panda he carries around are a little corny.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-03-18 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-03-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And here I thought a vlogger was someone who virtually chops wood.
Old 09-03-18, 12:49 AM

One more I forgot to mention:

TabiEats - Very similar to Strictly Dumpling. Asian food and travel (mostly Japan).

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I also enjoy these 2 travel vlogs, but only watch them occasionally. Strictly Dumpling is a little more focused though. Seems like most of the time it's about seeing the host, Mike Chen, stuff his face and his reactions. He actually follows me on Instagram. I don't know how he found me.
He's got some other good channels. I like the travel and airline reviews on the Mikey Chen channel.
Old 09-03-18, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple faves of mine:

Lost in Vegas
SSSniperWolf
alpha m.
Old 09-03-18, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
A couple faves of mine:

Lost in Vegas
SSSniperWolf
alpha m.
Love Lost in Vegas. Shout out to our free thinkers!
Old 09-03-18, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm only subscribed to one channel, ContraPoints. It's Dan's fault.

I watch NewsBeFunny every month for the broadcast news bloopers.
Old 09-03-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll break mine down into three category and its just a sample.

Political- Paul Joseph Watson, ShoeonHead, Blonde in the Belly of the Beast, Deanna Lorraine, Roaming Millennial, and Computing Forever.

Food and other random Channels- Joey's World Tour, The Joe Rogan Podcast, Redhead Redemption, History Buffs, LotsofBunnies, and Music Trap.

Movies, Video Games and Comics-Channel Awesome, Movie Nights, Stone Gremlin Productions, Red Letter Media, Tara Babcock, and ComicBookGirl 19.
Old 09-03-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All things BBQ
Food wishes
Munchies
Darwin's beer reviews
Ralfydotcom- whiskey reviews
Red coat black coat
Amoeba- for the "what's in my bag" vids
Old 09-03-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Philip DeFranco for current news stuff.
Old 09-03-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MTM Wood
Woodworking for Mere Mortals
Pitch Meeting
Old 09-03-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Darren Knight's "Southern Momma" shtick is hilarious.
Old 09-03-18, 11:14 AM

Potholer54 - Does an awesome job of debunking climate change deniers' claims.
Old 09-03-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Cody Johnston’s Some News for political commentary.

Scott the Woz for video game stuff

Toy Galaxy for action figure stuff
Old 09-03-18, 11:59 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I'm only subscribed to one channel, ContraPoints. It's Dan's fault.
I did what now???

Old 09-03-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Emergency Awesome...For Geek Stuff. He does videos on Geek TV and Film stuff. i.e. Superhero films/TV, Game of Thrones. The Walking Dead etc. He has lots of Comic and Sci Fi/Fantasy Book knowledge and he has helped me understand and go deeper into the Comic book backstories on many Geek films and TV shows.

All Good Things Network...Gorgeous Thicc Models

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-03-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gaming Historian The hour long documentary they put together about Tetris is as well produced and entertaining as anything I've seen.

Gas Station Encounters They post videos of shoplifters, usually with cartoonish, mocking commentary. It's oddly satisfying to see how aggressive the clerk gets when they catch someone.

Jimmy Lee The Jersey Outlaw For pure cringe, there's this awful dentist who makes his staff act in his terrible sit-com. He also does all these man-on-the-street videos, doing insult humour to unamused people. The most starling thing about his videos are the high-production value.

BTW, Trout is now my new favourite DVDTalk poster.
Old 09-03-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Cody Johnston’s Some News for political commentary.
For a minute, I thought that you meant that Cody's Lab had branched into politics. I love his science and beekeeping channel, but if a guy who grew up on a ranch in Utah started a political channel, it would be hard right.

But I really liked the Some News series on American fascism.
Old 09-03-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also watch a few different Dash Cam and Road Rage Channels.
Old 09-03-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CINEMASICKNESS

Travelers:
Justinscarred
The Daily Woo

Comic book/Superhero/Cartoons/Toys:
EmergencyAwesome
RetroBloasting
Jenny Lorenzo (I liked her more when she was with AgressiveComix though)
Comicbookgirl19

Physical Media guys:
CelluloidTerror (Seth!)

My goth babes
ItsBlackFriday
BlackJackBones
Beatriz Mariano
TheGothicAlice

Movies:
Cinemassacre
Cinefix
Collider (Although they're getting less interesting)

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 09-03-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I subscribe to Collider as well. Most of their long-form shows that run 45-50+ minutes long don't really interest me. I can only take so much rambling from these "Geeks"

I do like their weekly movie review show "Movie Review Talk" That's a pretty straight forward cut and dry reviews show.

As I mentioned, I regularly view John Campea's videos and he used to run Collider video until he left to do things on his own. His videos/live streams are very long. Usually 1 hour plus. But, at least for him, he interacts with his viewers and attempts to answer live questions. That sort of makes his shows fun IMO.
Old 09-03-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
RedLetterMedia - Bar none, my favorite channel. #Plinkett4Life

Movie Nights - Allison Pregler's retro review show. She was formerly Obscurus Lupa on Channel Awesome, but her stuff has only gotten better after she left there.

This is Dan Bell - I love "Another Dirty Room" and "Dead Mall Series".

YourMovieSucksDOTorg - Mainly his long form reviews of nonsense like "Cool Cat Saves the Kids" and "Cyber Bully". Funny stuff.

Phelous - Another former Channel Awesome contributor. I get a kick out of his bad Disney knock-off cartoon reviews and "Bootleg Zone" videos.

Lindsay Ellis - Formerly "Nostalgia Chick", but she really embraced the "video essay" format once she branched out on her own. Her stuff is amusing and often insightful.
I love Dan Bells stuff, but I just can't watch ADR. It's just too disturbing.

I watch alot of automotive channels. Vinwiki, Samcrac, Hoovies Garage, Tavarish, DDE, Rich Rebuilds. Non car related stuff Bright Sun Films, Proper People, Colin Furze

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.