Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Media you regret selling

Old 08-25-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Media you regret selling

Or the Alan Smithee validation thread.

Anything you wish you hadn't sold?

Few for me, but one was the Juon: The Curse DVD (the original 70 minute version, not the theatrical version, nor the Hollywood version).

One of the all-time scariest movies, AFAIC.

A hard one to track down now.

Spoiler:
But then I found it on Youtube and I'm watching it now! You should too. Take that, Smithee!
Old 08-25-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Media you regret selling

All the wrestling I had on vhs as a kid. Stuff that doesn't exist anywhere but on those tapes. I'm slowly building the collection up again though.
Old 08-25-18, 11:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Cronenberg's Crash on DVD. I got rid of it when there were rumors about a Criterion edition, and that never happened. The DVD I had had both cuts of the film.

My dad's Oldies Mix Tape. Would love to be able to turn that into a Spotify Playlist now, but I only remember a handful of the songs that were on there.
Old 08-26-18, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sold some VHS lots on ebay and a few months later came to the realization on some horror facebook group that I could have easily sold them on face for 4x what the auctions ended for.

So I don't guess I regret selling them just not selling them for as much as I could.

Oh, also I gave away tons of VHS tapes a few years ago that would have been great sellers now, at the time it just looked like there would never be a market for them again. Perhaps DVD will eventually sing around as well?
Old 08-26-18, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Every media I've sold or given away I have not regretted. I'm good.
Old 08-26-18, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Just looked that movie up on YouTube- it’s got a subtle watermark at the top of the screen, you can’t turn off the English subtitles, and it was obviously shot on video so may be at the wrong frame rate. I’ll hold out for the DVD.

I haven’t gotten rid of ANY video media, closest has been passing up things I saw in the store or returning rented tapes without doing that thing we’re not supposed to talk about here, and they would’ve looked like crap on my current equipment anyways.

If I wasn’t on my phone right now I’d try to find YouTube links to some of the records I had as a kid that I got rid of when I thought I was too old for them and now want back, setting this whole thing in motion.

Something I don’t think I shared yet, my VERY first CD was Madonna’s Like A Virgin (West Germany pressing with “Target” label and longbox) and one of my other early ones bought the same year was Van Halen’s 1984 also in that package configuration. By 1987 I became more of a music snob, and when the first store in the area opened that traded CDs, me and my parents went and I brought those 2 CDs along intending to trade them in for “good” music. Thankfully their selection sucked and I held on to them, not finding anything I wanted to trade them for. My future self must have been telling me to think about what I was doing. Early CDs are kind of valuable now, and I’ve grown to appreciate those two albums for what they are while still being able to listen to The Cure and all that stuff I liked in ‘87.

Stuff I regret not buying when I had the chance: a bunch of CD-Video singles for $2 each at the Tower Outlet store. This was a short-lived format that had 20 minutes of CD audio plus 5 minutes of analog video with digital audio, so you usually got one music video, its audio single version and one or two B-sides. They play on any laserdisc player made after they were invented, but I had NO laserdisc player at the time and wasn’t sure I’d ever get one so I didn’t buy them. I had a weird thing about buying media I couldn’t play right away, never thinking I might be able to eventually.

Another that I didn’t buy for the same reason was a Cartrivision videotape that actually showed you how to use the machine. I still don’t have anything to play that on but not for lack of trying. Would still love to have it now, hope it at least went to someone who appreciated it. (You can see it now on YouTube but in the wrong frame rate.)

There’s been a few laserdiscs I regret not buying, even after I did have a player- one of the worst was Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park for $15 at Camelot Music. I had a thing against buying anything made for TV, preferring only to have a copy of the original airing no matter how hard that might be to find. Seems ridiculous now. I recently got the Goodtimes VHS of that as a consolation, but their tapes are crap.

I regret not buying more of the earlier DVDs when I had the chance- I could’ve gotten some of the very first in the San Francisco area which was one of the limited test markets before they rolled out nationally. I thought the format was going to suck and I resented the industry’s intention to kill off laserdisc with it regardless. I at least got a bunch of early Polygram DVDs in those “guillotine” cases years later at a Tower employee sale when I worked for them. I now try to buy the first of any new format now whether I like it or not.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 08-26-18 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

but the thread is about media you regret selling
Old 08-26-18, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I regret not keeping all my vinyl albums. Not for the album but to have all the covers to frame and put on the wall.
Old 08-26-18, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

All my old NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube systems and games.
Old 08-26-18, 06:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I haven’t really sold or given away much media yet, just duplicates so far. But my regrets of selling almost everything else I’ve ever sold make me hesitant to get rid of anything. I’m to the stage of throwing away the worthless packaging on my media, so even tens of thousands of titles doesn’t really take up much space.
Old 08-26-18, 06:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
All my old NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube systems and games.
Oh yeah! Thanks for the reminder. I once sold my Atari 2600 collection of maybe 200 games for peanuts, and later realized that I had a lot of rare carts.
Old 08-26-18, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Same here.
Old 08-26-18, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-26-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been told that Final Fantasy VII on the original Playstation could be sold for a lot of money. I think I may have gotten $10 for it at a Gamestop.
Old 08-26-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I've been told that Final Fantasy VII on the original Playstation could be sold for a lot of money. I think I may have gotten $10 for it at a Gamestop.
Only if it's unopened. You can find lots of used copies on the internet for not significantly more than you traded it for.
Old 08-26-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Only if it's unopened. You can find lots of used copies on the internet for not significantly more than you traded it for.
I barely played it, and it was in practically mint condition.
Old 08-26-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless it was sealed, that doesn't really matter. You could maybe get 20 bucks for it
Old 08-26-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
It still fluctuates in value, typically a bit lower now that you can buy a digital copy through PlayStation’s network interface. Before that, FF7 was definitely my go-to answer for this question, since I had traded it and other PS1 games shortly after getting a PS2 (ah, younger me).

Now, my answer — if we’re picking just one — would probably be Dead Alive on Blu-ray. Found a new copy for $8, got rid of it for less than that after watching it and thinking Lionsgate would eventually re-release a better version, then observed the price gradually climb up over $100.
Old 08-26-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Exactly and I have had Beta, Laserdisc, DBX vinyl etc. I am still selling some things on EBAY and notice that these things are worth pennies and being sold in lots because they are worthless and no one wants or needs them.

That was the reason I no longer have it and no longer miss it. I could not think of anything since it needed to go.
Old 08-26-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I moved to Albuquerque, I gave away about 90% of my books. Out of hundreds of volumes, there were about three I regretted losing, but not enough to buy replacements.
Old 08-26-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I now try to buy the first of any new format now whether I like it or not.
This is so very sad. Then again you already knew that.
Old 08-26-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've sold a lot of DVD's and Blu-ray's, no regrets at all. I've never cared about rarity of media, so if something became worth more I haven't even paid attention.
Old 08-26-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just one, but then I'm happy that the footage is on Youtube. I used to have the LD Freddie Mercury Tribute concert that featured the individual sets from the artists paying tribute. No other versions have had those either.
Old 08-26-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

A bunch of Studio Ghibli and Disney Classics tins I got for free from work. Now that I have kids, I wish I still had them.
Old 08-26-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Just looked that movie up on YouTube- it’s got a subtle watermark at the top of the screen, you can’t turn off the English subtitles, and it was obviously shot on video so may be at the wrong frame rate. I’ll hold out for the DVD.
It didn't look great on YT, but it worked for me. Now I probably never need watch it again! So even with that mild regret, I'm OK ...

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
When I moved to Albuquerque, I gave away about 90% of my books. Out of hundreds of volumes, there were about three I regretted losing, but not enough to buy replacements.
Kind of the point of the thread is not so much that the regret occurred, but what, and why do you regret it? What books were these?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.