Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

HGTV Outbids Lance Bass to Buy the Brady Bunch House.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-08-18, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After realizing it was HGTV that outbid him, Lance Bass tweeted a sweet response in favor of the network purchasing the home.

“HGTV??! Aw man,” Bass wrote. “I’d be pretty upset if it were anyone else, but how can you be mad at HGTV??

My television is stuck on that channel. Kudos HGTV, I know you will do the right thing with the house. That was always my biggest worry.

I can smile again.” The Brady Bunch home is off the market, and HGTV is its mystery buyer!

On Tuesday, during an earnings conference call, the network announced they had the winning bid for the iconic California house, which served as the facade of Mike and Carol Brady’s home on the beloved sitcom from 1969 to 1974.

“I am excited to share that HGTV is the winning bidder and will restore the Brady Bunch home to its 1970s glory as only HGTV can,” Discovery Inc. CEO David Zaslav said on the call.

“More details to come over the next few months, but we will bring all the resources to bear to tell safe, fun stories with this beloved piece of American TV history,” he added.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the CEO did not reveal how much they paid for the 2,500 square-foot home, but it was listed for $1.88 million with Douglas Elliman and incited a bidding war between multiple buyers, including former ‘NSYNC member and current TV host Lance Bass.

On Saturday, Bass shared that he was “heartbroken” because he believed he had placed the winning bid on the home but was bought-out by a large corporation after rumors swirled that developers wanted to buy and demolish the house.

Bass said his bid was “WAY over asking price,” but was informed after the final deadline that there was another client who wanted to purchase the home.

“This was a dream come true for me and I spent the night celebrating amongst friends, family, and fans alike,” the singer wrote on Instagram.

“The next day, due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’ the same agent informed us that there’s another Corporate Buyer (Hollywood studio) who wants the house at any cost.

We were prepared to go even higher but totally discouraged by the sellers agent, they will outperform any bid with unlimited resources.”

“How is this fair or legal??” Bass continued. “How can I compete with a billion dollar corporate entity? I truly believe I was used to drive up the price of the home knowing very well that this corporation intended on making their offer and it’s not a good feeling.

I feel used but most importantly I’m hurt and saddened by this highly questionable outcome. I just hope it is not demolished. Thanks for all the love and support. #CrushedDream #ShadyAF #DouglasElliman #ShadyBrady”

According to the listing, the home, located at 11222 Dilling Street in Studio City, California, is reportedly the second most photographed house in the U.S. after the White House.

It first appeared in the second-ever episode of the show, and was seen in every episode after. HGTV did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

https://people.com/home/hgtv-brady-b...g-bid-restore/

I'm glad the home will be restored and not torn down.
Old 08-08-18, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: HGTV Outbids Lance Bass to Buy the Brady Bunch House.

I don’t understand what they plan on doing with it? The house was only used for exterior shots and the inside was all studio.
Old 08-08-18, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably nothing. It's one of the most famous houses in America and gets tons of visitors. My guess is they bought it just to keep it as is into the future rather than letting some developer buy it and either re-model or tear it down.
Old 08-08-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I don’t understand what they plan on doing with it? The house was only used for exterior shots and the inside was all studio.
Total guess on my part but I'd imagine they'll do a season long show where they'll do some sort of retro-renovation to make the inside look like it was on the show. Then they'll open it up for visitors.
Old 08-08-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh great, I can't get that theme song out of my head.

Here's the story of a lovely lady.....
Old 08-08-18, 08:26 AM
Admin-Thanos

And the (fake) backyard

Old 08-08-18, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The window on the left shown in that picture was fake for the show to give the impression that it was a 2 story house, which it isn't.
Old 08-08-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe that is referred to as a "bi-level" house, right? Though in a house like that, you usually see two sets of stairs when you walk in the door. Did the set have that (I never really watched).

From what I do remember, that living room set was massive compared to the house's exterior.
Old 08-08-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I read, the real house has no 2nd floor at all. The set made the house look like a true 2 level house. What you're referring to, I usually hear called split-level around here.

It's funny looking at it now. As a kid I was amazed at how big their house was. In reality, that house (IRL) isn't much bigger than the tiny single level I grew up in. It's probably less than 1500sqft.
Old 08-08-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Total guess on my part but I'd imagine they'll do a season long show where they'll do some sort of retro-renovation to make the inside look like it was on the show. Then they'll open it up for visitors.
Well since they literally say in their press release that they "will restore the Brady Bunch home to its 1970s glory as only HGTV can”, you knew it was much more than a hunch.
Old 08-08-18, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Well since they literally say in their press release that they "will restore the Brady Bunch home to its 1970s glory as only HGTV can”, you knew it was much more than a hunch.
Old 08-08-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shady ass deal. Bass got fucked.
Old 08-08-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-08-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
It's HGTV. It'll first be a vomit-laden reality show of restoration celebrities, and thereafter whored out to whoever wants to use it.

Old 08-08-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
From what I read, the real house has no 2nd floor at all. The set made the house look like a true 2 level house. What you're referring to, I usually hear called split-level around here.
Yeah, at first I was thinking it was a raised ranch, but it does look more like a split-level. At any rate, neither of those styles would have the huge staircase shown in the studio set where the interiors were shot.
Old 08-08-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, I'm guess that left side of the real house is just a family room with a raised roof. Definitely no room for that large staircase in the living room.

That being said, I certainly couldn't tell the difference as a kid.
Old 08-08-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder what the neighbors think.
Old 08-08-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yea, I'm guess that left side of the real house is just a family room with a raised roof. Definitely no room for that large staircase in the living room.

That being said, I certainly couldn't tell the difference as a kid.
Don't forget an attic that can be used as a bedroom as well.

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
Yeah, screw the Dittmeyers.
Old 08-08-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Don't forget an attic that can be used as a bedroom as well.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the sweet bedroom Greg had up there.
Old 08-08-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always liked the interior set design of the house. It had a Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it.
I especially loved the staircase, the use of indoor stone in the living room and dining room, and Mike's office/den.
Old 08-08-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Always liked the interior set design of the house. It had a Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it.
I especially loved the staircase, the use of indoor stone in the living room and dining room, and Mike's office/den.
I wonder how crazy HGTV is going to go with it. They are pretty good. They could gut the entire place and probably make it pretty close .. at least from the bottom floor. Perhaps a staircase that goes up to nowhere..
Old 08-08-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

This will be where the mid-century modern revival peaks and dies.
Old 08-08-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk God

They better put a pay phone in the family room.
Old 08-08-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never realized that the outside of the house never matched the inside layout. You guys have shattered the illusion
Old 08-08-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
I imagine they are just thrilled a reality show is moving into town.

I'm sure they would have been happier if a developer bought the fucking thing and tore it down.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.