Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Baby Aspirin

Old 08-06-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Baby Aspirin

What brand do you guys take? I use Bayer but I saw a Kirkland brand on Amazon and it was like 365 for $6. Is this brand safe and effective?
Old 08-06-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Baby Aspirin

Sorry, I’m not a baby.
Old 08-06-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's genuine, I would think so. That's the Costco brand.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Sorry, I’m not a baby.
I actually wrote a strongly worded letter to Bayer years ago about their "Children's Aspirin," which is taken by adults who want a little blood thinning. I think the name is awful, as you should never give a child aspirin. I'm sure they thought I was a crackpot. Never heard from them.
Old 08-06-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, Iím not a baby.
Thatís debatable.

I only have to take one a day but at that price it would last me a year.
Old 08-06-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post

I actually wrote a strongly worded letter to Bayer years ago about their "Children's Aspirin," which is taken by adults who want a little blood thinning. I think the name is awful, as you should never give a child aspirin. I'm sure they thought I was a crackpot. Never heard from them.
I give my children Tylenol. Why shouldnít I?
Old 08-06-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You might have made a difference, I think itís just called low dose now. 😀
Old 08-06-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tylenol isn't aspirin. Aspirin in kids and teens has been linked to Reye Syndrome, which while rare, causes damage to the liver and brain. It's linked when used for or after a viral infection, but viral infections can cause headache/fever--which would make someone look for a pain reliever. I wouldn't pick aspirin as that pain reliever for a kid.

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
You might have made a difference, I think itís just called low dose now. ��
Woo hoo

Last edited by tasha99; 08-06-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, we don't give aspirin to young children any more because of concerns about Reye syndrome. Babies can take Tylenol and over 6 months can take Ibuprofen.

In answer to the OP question, yes that low dose aspirin should be safe and effective as a mild blood thinner.
Old 08-06-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's a girl, Aspirin
If it's a boy, Tylenol
If it's twins, Ibu and Profen
Old 08-06-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Decker, so you are saying the Kirkland brand is ok?
Old 08-06-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kirkland is a store brand from Costco. It's probably even cheaper if you bought it at Costco vs. buying it at Amazon. Pretty much any of the store brands are fine. I never buy name brand over the counter medicine, always the store brand of whatever store I happen to be in at the time. You pay a lot more for the name brand when the store brand is pretty much the exact same thing for a lot less.
Old 08-06-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Er, because Tylenol doesn't contain any aspirin? It's a completely different medication.

Yeah, Kirkland is perfectly fine, it's a Costco brand. As long as the actual aspirin dosage is the same as your doctor recommends you are good. And yes, I usually see these labelled as "low dose" instead of "childrens" now, for reasons already discussed.
Old 08-06-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They’re labeled as low dose but even my doctors still call them baby aspirin.

I had quadruple bypass last Nov. so been taking one a day since per doctor.
Old 08-06-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorry, I’m not a baby.
Mababy...

Btw, I use Kirkland Naprox and it works just fine. I would recommend Kirkland. Haven't had any issues. Seems to be just as good (maybe even a tad better) than the typical name brands.
Old 08-06-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Kirkland is a store brand from Costco. It's probably even cheaper if you bought it at Costco vs. buying it at Amazon. Pretty much any of the store brands are fine. I never buy name brand over the counter medicine, always the store brand of whatever store I happen to be in at the time. You pay a lot more for the name brand when the store brand is pretty much the exact same thing for a lot less.
The one time I went back to name brand was when I wanted to save a couple of bucks on the CVS Tylenol Cold and Flu knock-off and quickly regretted it. It was much more syrupy than the real deal and I now buy the Tylenol stuff if I need it without caring if it is on sale. The Tylenol stuff was a breeze to take for my colds.

Sorry about the thread drift, but for the OP, if you receive a Kirkland bottle that is still 100% sealed from the Amazon seller you really have nothing to worry about. If you do not have a Costco membership (like myself) I say go for it.
Old 08-06-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
The one time I went back to name brand was when I wanted to save a couple of bucks on the CVS Tylenol Cold and Flu knock-off and quickly regretted it. It was much more syrupy than the real deal and I now buy the Tylenol stuff if I need it without caring if it is on sale. The Tylenol stuff was a breeze to take for my colds.

Sorry about the thread drift, but for the OP, if you receive a Kirkland bottle that is still 100% sealed from the Amazon seller you really have nothing to worry about. If you do not have a Costco membership (like myself) I say go for it.
Okay but you're talking about taste and texture differences and not differences in the quality or effectiveness of the medication. You might have those issues with liquid medications, and if it bothers you, you might stick to the name brands, but for medications that come in a pill form there's really no difference between the name brand and the store brand.

That's a good point about Amazon though, if you're buying Kirkland medication from Amazon, you're buying it from a third-party seller who is buying it at Costco and then listing it on Amazon. It's probably still fine, but you might make sure that it's still sealed and not expired. I'm sure that Amazon would refund you if there are any issues though.
Old 08-06-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Decker, so you are saying the Kirkland brand is ok?
Absolutely. I will direct my patients to buy generic OTC medications whenever possible. Same active ingredients, usually considerably cheaper.

Liquids sometimes taste considerably worse, but that's not a consideration with pills.
Old 08-06-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I believe you can buy some of the Kirkland branded products on Costco.com if you don't have a membership, but you have to pay a 5% surcharge. Not sure about their Aspirin, though.
Old 08-06-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tylenol isn't aspirin. Aspirin in kids and teens has been linked to Reye Syndrome, which while rare, causes damage to the liver and brain. It's linked when used for or after a viral infection, but viral infections can cause headache/fever--which would make someone look for a pain reliever. I wouldn't pick aspirin as that pain reliever for a kid.
I thought this was common knowledge?

I can remember this being a huge deal in the 80s, where everyone was warned not to give children aspirin. I think the bottles even carry warnings.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-06-18 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I thought this was common knowledge?

I can remember this being a huge deal in the 80s, where everyone was warned not give children aspirin. I think the bottles even carry warnings.
Then why call it children's aspirin on the bottle? I think it was a fair point back in the day.
Old 08-06-18, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't know that anyone still branded them as "children's" or "baby" aspirins until now. Most of them are labeled as "Low Dose" these days, even if everyone (including medical professionals) still refers to them collectively as "baby adpirins."

Seems like Bayer is begging to get sued.

ETA: Bayer not only puts out a product called "Children's Aspirin," but ones that are orange flavored and chewable.

Chewable? Jesus, those things are so tiny I have trouble swallowing them. Sometimes they lodge under my tongue or between my cheek and gums when I take the drink of water to swallow them!

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-06-18 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They used to taste DELICIOUS with that fake orange taste like orange sherbet has (i.e. nothing remotely like what an orange tastes like). I think I speak for all Seventies kids when I say it was my favorite medicine.

Unfortunately, of course, eating the whole bottle could kill you.
Old 08-06-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why is someone selling Kirkland brand on Amazon?
Old 08-06-18, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I looked at the sellers amazon store, and almost everything he sells is Kirkland brand. Seems he's made a business of buying stuff at Costco and reselling it on Amazon.
Old 08-06-18, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aspirin is aspirin. Sellers are required by law to hold to healthy standards. The brand makes no difference.

The only problem I see with buying in too much bulk is that the aspirin would break down before you used it all. It just turns into vinegar, so that's not a hazard, you just wouldn't be getting full use of it.