Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Snacks for diabetic people?

Old 08-01-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Snacks for diabetic people?

So, we have a number of food-related threads here - but I want to hear ideas for snacks that are safe(ish) for people who have diabetes (or "diabeetus" if you're Wilford Brimley). I've googled this a number of times over the years but get quickly frustrated by the lack of results. There are sites that have recipes for "yummy goodies" that don't seem all that yummy, and have the extreme disadvantage of being recipes! I don't want to cook something; I want to rip open a bag and eat the contents!

Basically, I'm going for food with minimal carbs (carbs turn to sugar, sugar kills people with diabetes). Pork skins are one thing I've found, but I just can't eat those every day. Nuts are okay, but again, not something I can eat every day. I want BBQ Ruffles, dammit!

If you have deal with this also, what do you do? What are some safe foods/snacks?
Old 08-01-18, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Snacks for diabetic people?

Pork skins are high in salt, though. So is jerky. There might be some low-salt jerky, but that won't be cheap.

To get my sweet fix, I

1) Dilute juices, so they are around 10g per 8oz verses the 40g;

and for the low carb snacking:

2) String cheese. Generally low in sodium and carbs.

3) Roast beef cuts via Instant Pot.
Old 08-01-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am going to assume type 2 diabetic?

There is not an answer to your dilemma.

Chew on a celery stalk, that is about it.
Old 08-01-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-01-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Pork skins are high in salt, though. So is jerky. There might be some low-salt jerky, but that won't be cheap.

To get my sweet fix, I

1) Dilute juices, so they are around 10g per 8oz verses the 40g;

and for the low carb snacking:

2) String cheese. Generally low in sodium and carbs.

3) Roast beef cuts via Instant Pot.
I've gone with string cheese before, but I already eat a lotta cheese.

Roast beef cuts? Is that like a jerky substitute thing? (I don't have an Instant Pot)
Old 08-01-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, if you cook the meat, just cut it up into pieces and refrigerate, take to work for snacking during breaks. I notice I'm not that hungry (as much) when I get home.

I recommend the Instant Pot, though. Pretty slick. I notice chicken doesn't make me feel as full as a beef. But that will probably vary on the person.
Old 08-01-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometimes I make kale chips for a tv snack. THey're kale pieces with the stem part and thick veins removed, rubbed in oil, then toasted in the oven till they're crisp. Then you salt them.

They can be bought premade, too, but I like them warm. I think they'd be okay for diabetics, as they're just veggies and oil.

Edited to add:

Also, flavored nuts can be really good. I make chile lime peanuts that are really good and probably diabetic friendly. They're a good use of the tiny cloves from the center of the garlic head, too. But since you don't want to cook:

These are really good store bought spicy peanuts, usually available at an Asian grocery:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by tasha99; 08-01-18 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sugar doesn’t kill people with diabetes. Sorry, stuff like that annoys me. Not taking care of yourself will kill you.

Fresh fruits and vegetables
Popcorn
Snack sizes of meats and cheeses

I’m also assuming you are Type 2 by the question. My daughter is Type 1 and the insulin pump is fantastic. We don’t let her go nuts, but it makes it so diabetes is not the “food prison” people think it is.

The main thing is your carb count. We try to keep a snack around 15 carbs. It’s just a matter of how hungry you are — do you want to stretch them or splurge?
Old 08-01-18, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The conversion to sugar (and thus taxing the organs)...is what kills people. And having additional sugar on top what is converted...is not a good thing. Because the pancreas can't process the sugar correctly.

Forgot to add nuts as well. High in fat (and can be high in salt as well--try the unsalted or salt your own such as pink salt) so moderate those. Try Brazil nuts or cashews.
Old 08-02-18, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The more sugar you consume the higher your glucose blood sugar becomes which can lead to kidney failure which then leads to Dialysis.
Old 08-02-18, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Wouldn't a lot of the keto diet snacks be good? I know there are some cheese crisp type cracker things called whisps that Costco sells. Pretty sure those are all protein and low/no carbs.

Here is their site: https://www.whisps.com

There is also this stuff, called moon cheese: https://mooncheese.com
Old 08-02-18, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/
Old 08-02-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
Have to agree here

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for over 20 years.

Just like with any diet *YOU* need to find what works for you. Some people can eat bread but not rice, meaning bread spikes their sugar levels slightly, but rice spikes them through the roof.

Also as medical science progresses we learn more about type 2 diabetes. I fall into a category of what is termed 'Metabolic Syndrome' and the high sugar counts are really a symptom of another problem.

I can change my sugar counts from 250 to less 100 in a week with lifestle changes. I eat one way and exercise, my sugar levels plummet. I eat another way and don't exercise, my levels double.

I have played with it enough now to know that the answer to your question is chew on a stalk of celery if you want a snack.

or

eat an apple (just don't eat 3 of them) or maybe a carrot

Pretty much anything processed is working against you. Cheese is NOT the answer,

but hey that is just one random person on the internet telling you like it is...
Old 08-02-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Just like with any diet *YOU* need to find what works for you. Some people can eat bread but not rice, meaning bread spikes their sugar levels slightly, but rice spikes them through the roof.
Pretty much this. You need to try different foods, check your blood glucose levels and see what foods negatively affect you more than others.

For snacks I try to stick to stuff like fresh vegetables (e.g. carrot sticks, red bell peppers, etc.) and nuts. Potato chips are a big weakness for me, so I do indulge once in awhile but try to keep it reasonable (better than completely denying yourself a food you love, because you might finally snap and go crazy and binge on tons of it )
Old 08-02-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
So, we have a number of food-related threads here - but I want to hear ideas for snacks that are safe(ish) for people who have diabetes (or "diabeetus" if you're Wilford Brimley). I've googled this a number of times over the years but get quickly frustrated by the lack of results. There are sites that have recipes for "yummy goodies" that don't seem all that yummy, and have the extreme disadvantage of being recipes! I don't want to cook something; I want to rip open a bag and eat the contents!

Basically, I'm going for food with minimal carbs (carbs turn to sugar, sugar kills people with diabetes). Pork skins are one thing I've found, but I just can't eat those every day. Nuts are okay, but again, not something I can eat every day. I want BBQ Ruffles, dammit!

If you have deal with this also, what do you do? What are some safe foods/snacks?
The reason you are having trouble with this is there isn't a single way to deal with diabetes, and "sugar kills people with diabetes" is patently wrong. Type 1? Type 2? On a pump using quick acting insulin? Or old fashioned long acting?

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Wouldn't a lot of the keto diet snacks be good? I know there are some cheese crisp type cracker things called whisps that Costco sells. Pretty sure those are all protein and low/no carbs.

There is also this stuff, called moon cheese: https://mooncheese.com
Exactly. If the goal is to have low carb snacks, google keto friendly snacks and see what comes up. Whisps are awesome, I love them.
Old 08-02-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Have to agree here

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for over 20 years.

Also as medical science progresses we learn more about type 2 diabetes. I fall into a category of what is termed 'Metabolic Syndrome' and the high sugar counts are really a symptom of another problem.

I can change my sugar counts from 250 to less 100 in a week with lifestle changes. I eat one way and exercise, my sugar levels plummet. I eat another way and don't exercise, my levels double.

I have played with it enough now to know that the answer to your question is chew on a stalk of celery if you want a snack.

or

eat an apple (just don't eat 3 of them) or maybe a carrot

Pretty much anything processed is working against you. Cheese is NOT the answer,

but hey that is just one random person on the internet telling you like it is...

All this. Plus celery may good for erections.
Old 08-02-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really let myself go a few years ago to the point where my doctor was telling me if I continued he was "going to have to start cutting off body parts." My blood sugar was 300+. He put it in no uncertain terms I'd be dead soon if I didn't make changes. I did some tests and found out that I basically should never eat carbs, lol. My body just doesn't handle them well.

Now, I'm almost 80 lbs. from where I was and within 25 pounds of what I was when I went to college and was a skinny MF (a LONG time ago). I may never get there but I'll get close. It's now to the point that with diet and exercise I no longer have to take my Metformin and Januvia (even though I do take one MF in the morning to help me feel more balanced, I used to take four all day).

I still dabble with carbs but try to limit them to only one meal. I can definitely feel the spikes when I do.

Honestly, the limitations on snacks is what probably made me lose weight so much in the first place. Just lowered my calorie intake substantially.

As above, alot of what people are saying is true. You have to read the labels. You'd be surprised how much sugar in some stuff you wouldn't expect, like jerky and peanut butter. Flavored nuts too. And some fruits are as bad as a candy bar. You have to read the labels, and make good choices.

And always take a side salad as an option at lunch!
Old 08-02-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
(better than completely denying yourself a food you love, because you might finally snap and go crazy and binge on tons of it )
and I will be honest, there are times when you just need to eat a pizza with everything on it

I look more at my meals per week than I do per day. So a couple meals per week, I eat whatever the hell I want to eat.

Yes, my sugars could spike as a result, but its one meal or two meals per week. I will increase exercise those days to compensate and overall my A1C isn't affected even though my short term (read: hourly) sugar count increases

This is how I keep everything in check and get to eat foods I want. Its not what you do once a week that kills you, it's what you do everyday.

and yes, I eat birthday cake with ice cream too, but I am not in a regular danger zone like some are. This falls into finding what works for you.
Old 08-02-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this is pretty much the way I handle things as well.
Old 08-02-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My A1C is pre-diabetic but I am not insulin dependent - I just take metformin.

One of my go to snacks is a hard boiled egg with pepper. I buy groceries on payday every two weeks, and boil eggs a dozen at a time after they've been in the fridge about a week. Fresh ones don't peel right. I keep a bowl of the boiled ones in the fridge to grab.
Old 08-02-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
My A1C is pre-diabetic but I am not insulin dependent - I just take metformin.

One of my go to snacks is a hard boiled egg with pepper. I buy groceries on payday every two weeks, and boil eggs a dozen at a time after they've been in the fridge about a week. Fresh ones don't peel right. I keep a bowl of the boiled ones in the fridge to grab.
You need an instant pot! 😃
Old 08-02-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post

My wife is doing keto, and loves these things. She has also found similar "small batch" flavored ones at the local specialty markets, but they cost considerably more.
Old 08-02-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
All this. Plus celery may good for erections.
Celery suddenly sounds a lot more interesting.

Tried the Costco Whisps once, but the Parmesan was just too overpowering for me after a few days! The link shows other flavors, so I'll check those out.

Hard boiled eggs? Worth a shot!
Old 08-02-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, another thing I sometimes get is those Babybel cheese wheels, the mini ones. Someone mentioned above that cheese isn't the only answer and I agree--it's full of fat so you have to be careful. But in moderation I think it makes a fine snack.

One more thing--I buy those cheap popsicles, the kind that split in half on two sticks, and keep a bag or two of them in the freezer. They aren't sugar free, but as someone else pointed out, it's not just about avoiding sugar. Actually the thing that really sinks my ship dietwise tends to be baked goods. I've got a friend staying with me right now who's constantly bringing home doughnuts, honey buns, danishes, stuff like that--they're hard to resist. A popsicle isn't going to be as harmful in comparison.
Old 08-03-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quite of few diabetics here. I've had it for ten years now and lost 30lbs. I sit at an even 200lbs; anything lower I look like a freakin' skeleton 'cause I'm 6' tall. I don't exercise much except doing Tai Chi daily. I believe that not moving is also part of the problem when dealing with diabetes. I also have to take the stupid pills daily. It used to be twice a day but my doctor says I can just do it once a day now. My AC-1 is in the normal range, too.

I still eat whatever I want in moderation and snack throughout the day. Mostly unsalted mixed nuts and carrots. I keep steady at around 120-130. I know that is way higher than the norm but that's where I am most functional; not sleepy or tired. I also cut out excess sugar 'cause that's the one thing I know that makes me spike.