Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

headphones for running

Old 07-26-18, 06:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

headphones for running

any recommendations? I must have weird ear canals because i can't get buds to stay in even when being still let alone running... anybody recommend a pair of either larger over the ear headphones or maybe some neck based thing they use successfully for running?
Old 07-26-18, 08:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: headphones for running

Amazon Amazon

I bought this Bluetooth headset for jogging a few years ago. Works great for me, but I’m more a walker jogger than serious runner. This model is no longer made, but it was a $35 lightning deal when I bought it and I’m sure the newer models are even better.
Old 07-26-18, 08:49 PM

I don't run but I do walking workouts a lot and like you I have a tough time with ear buds. That is, until I picked up a pair of
Sonixx X-Fit Sonixx X-Fit
bluetooth sport earbuds. Love these. They come with optional ear clips, too, if that helps:
Old 07-26-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For outside running I've been using:
Amazon Amazon

They're kind of goofy, but they work well for me and you can hear cars, bikes and other traffic behind you.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-27-18 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 09:40 AM

I use Apple Earpods with these:

https://www.sprngclip.com
Old 07-27-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
For outside running I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/5...web_5437259011

They're kind of goofy, but they work well for me and you can hear cars, bikes and other traffic behind you.

I like this idea. I don't want my favorite arrogant prick of a doctor to get run over or slammed into or creamed against a wrought iron fence. *blowing a kiss to the sawbones*
Old 07-27-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For outside running I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/5...web_5437259011

I might have to look in to those, I'm always careful now when listening to music while biking because I got hit by a car 4 years ago.
Old 07-27-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are those the bone-conducting kind? A friend was looking into those because an upcoming race didn’t allow any other kind.
Old 07-27-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Are those the bone-conducting kind? A friend was looking into those because an upcoming race didn’t allow any other kind.
Yeah, that's them. As long as you're aware of the compromises that come along with it, they get the job done well.
Old 07-27-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought I had a thread on his topic but canít find.

Iíve tried every type of headphone available for running. I have never been able to get use to the kind that seal off your inner ear. Either they completely fall out, or if they have fins they slide out just enough to break the seal and gives an odd sound, or the cord vibrates so much as to suck.

I ONLY use earphones that sit in the canal. No seal it. I feel this is better for running anyway. I have tried about every pair out there but these are my go-to

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-BackBeat-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00P89AVRU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532711233&sr=8-3&keywords=plantronics+backbeat+fit https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-BackBeat-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00P89AVRU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532711233&sr=8-3&keywords=plantronics+backbeat+fit

1st they are pretty bullet proof. I sweat like a pig. These hold up very, very well. They also hold up well just thrown in a gym bag or pocket.
2nd the battery life is acceptable at about 5 hours. No thatís probably not enough if you are running marathon distances, but Iíve use them for half marathons so issues. The different colors go on sale at Amazon, so Iíve picked up a 2nd pair to rotate as needed for battery.
3rd they are pretty comfortable. After a half marathon Iím glad to take them off. But they never hurt, pinch or anything.
4th price is reasonable...not cheap, but not over the top. They hold up well but I throw them around so donít last forever. As much as I use them, I donít mind replacing them every couple years.

If wired doesnít bother you, you should check out Yurbuds,

https://www.amazon.com/Yurbuds-Inspire-300-Fitness-Headphones/dp/B00NJ5LZOS/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1532711841&sr=1-4&keywords=yurbuds https://www.amazon.com/Yurbuds-Inspire-300-Fitness-Headphones/dp/B00NJ5LZOS/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1532711841&sr=1-4&keywords=yurbuds

They are cheap and work very well. I have a couple in gym bag as back ups. The ďtwist to lockĒ works very well without putting pressure. I used these exclusively for years until I switched to the Plantronics.

Yurbud was recently bought up by JVC. So they are incorporating the design into some of their headphones. Some look interesting but havenít tried.
Old 07-27-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're not interested in Bluetooth, I cannot recommend Snuggbuds any higher. They have great sound, lock into your ear canal snugly, and won't short out or be affected in any way by ear sweat or rain.
Old 07-27-18, 07:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I like this idea. I don't want my favorite arrogant prick of a doctor to get run over or slammed into or creamed against a wrought iron fence. *blowing a kiss to the sawbones*
Old 07-30-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate looking at reviews online. It makes me think everything is garbage. I'd like a pair of headphones for running as well, but I don't really want to shell out $100/year.
Old 07-30-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that's them. As long as you're aware of the compromises that come along with it, they get the job done well.
I'm not a runner, but I have Aftershokz also. They're nice at work because I get a lot of questions, and I can hear what's going on around me. The mic is pretty decent on them also, so I use them for conference calls and meetings when I'm remote.

That said they sometimes tend to give me a little bit of a headache, but then again, I had a brain hemorrhage a few years back, so there's quite a few things that give me a bit of a headache these days, so I can't claim this is a normal thing.

I also have a pair of open-ear headphones that I use more often since they don't require charging and sound better (Sennheiser PX100-II).

The sound quality on the Aftershokz is pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. It's nice to be able to hear what is going on around you.
Old 07-31-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had the same problems with earbuds. I am a cheapass, and recently got these for running and other exercise: https://www.target.com/p/philips-ear...k/-/A-17095817

They work fine for me.