Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

CVS fires employees for following their own coupon policy

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-19-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

CVS throws their own employees under the bus for following their own coupon policy and calling the police after the customer refused to leave.

I am amazed at how the press and a major corporation is trying to twist the facts to imply that these employees are racist simply because they stated the race of the person they were calling about. 911 always asks for a description including race, gender, etc. when someone makes a call to them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/b...an-police.html
Old 07-19-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: CVS fires employees for following their own coupon policy

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
CVS throws their own employees under the bus for following their own coupon policy and calling the police after the customer refused to leave.

I am amazed at how the press and a major corporation is trying to twist the facts to imply that these employees are racist simply because they stated the race of the person they were calling about. 911 always asks for a description including race, gender, etc. when someone makes a call to them.

Sounds like you are clueless as that CVS employee.
Old 07-19-18, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Sounds like you are clueless as that CVS employee.
Nope. I worked for CVS. I know exactly what their policies are.
Old 07-19-18, 10:01 AM

"In a statement, the Chicago Police said officers responded late Friday to a call of an “assault in progress” at the CVS."

Fuck that guy...
Old 07-19-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope. I worked for CVS. I know exactly what their policies are.
So you are familiar with their anti-discrimination policies...
Old 07-19-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

So what is the coupon policy? It shows it doesn't expire until the end of the year.. is it because it was a copy that it was invalid?

Do we know what happened before this video started rolling?
Old 07-19-18, 11:34 AM

from what we know. The managers sound like dicks. So im ok with the firing
Old 07-19-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
from what we know. The managers sound like dicks. So im ok with the firing
Call the police over a fucking coupon??? WTF??? Yea I agree.
Old 07-19-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Literally every store will accept one of their own coupons if the customer makes a big enough stink. WTF did this guy think he was proving by continuing to refuse and calling the cops?

So, the question must be asked...would he have called the cops if it was an older white woman wanting her coupon accepted and not backing down?
Old 07-19-18, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy who called the cops was a Log Cabin Republican according to the article posted. I know those guys are like Slaves For Harder Floggings With Thicker Whips, but you'd think a gay man who's probably experienced prejudice himself would be more aware.
Old 07-19-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Good thing she did try to cash a check...
Old 07-19-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe one should call the police on them for printing 100 coupons every time you check out.
Old 07-19-18, 01:30 PM

Here's more info with pics of the coupon:

Witness to CVS coupon incident says there’s more to this viral story
https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...white-manager/

Another customer, Marquecia Jordan, says she saw the whole thing. She reached out to the Chicago Sun-Times on our Facebook page.

The Sun-Times called Jordan to find out more. “I was there looking for a snack, and suddenly I hear this woman yelling, she raised her voice, was yelling at the manager ‘Is this what you consider customer service?'” Jordan said.

Jordan said Hudson created a scene. “I was very uncomfortable, the other customer that was standing there with me, she looked uncomfortable,” Jordan said. “It’s being reported that they called [police] because of a coupon, that’s just not it.”

Jordan said she did not hear the conversation with the managers when they refused to accept the coupon and could not tell if it was inappropriate. But “when she followed the other manager through the store, being belligerent, I consider that harassment.”

Jordan feels CVS employees faced an unusual situation. “I feel like (the other manager) and Morry could have handled the situation better, but I would imagine that they had not been trained to handle that specific type of situation. When the guy walked away from her, he should not have done that, but she also did not have to follow him,” Jordan said. “When Morry called the police … that’s what I would do.”
Old 07-19-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm loving how most Otters are assuming racism here. I wasn't there (and none of you were either) but there are SO many different ways this could have actually played out than what the media has reported - most of which would have little to nothing to do with the color of the people involved.

Here's one:
1 - Customer comes in with a shady-looking coupon
2 - Manager decides not to accept coupon
3 - Customer gets belligerant
4 - Manager attempts to disengage, customer follows him and begins issuing threats
5 - Manager calls the police for help

In my experience, the first person to cry "racism!" is usually the person with the bigger problem... someone who sees the world through biased, racist eyes, and looking for handy excuses to attack others' behavior on racist terms when none may have ever existed.
Old 07-19-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I'm loving how most Otters are assuming racism here. I wasn't there (and none of you were either) but there are SO many different ways this could have actually played out than what the media has reported - most of which would have little to nothing to do with the color of the people involved.

Here's one:
4 - Manager attempts to disengage, customer follows him and begins issuing threats

In my experience, the first person to cry "racism!" is usually the person with the bigger problem... someone who sees the world through biased, racist eyes, and looking for handy excuses to attack others' behavior on racist terms when none may have ever existed.
Retailers are in business to please customers. I worked at a Best Buy and we would honer any valid coupon if a customer argued enough, regardless of the expiration date. Why? Because situations like this hurt the company far more than the value of the coupon. That being the case, you have to wonder why he did this. Any store manager should know that it's never worth arguing over a coupon. You just give it to the customer and move on. The company lost more money by paying him to fight with the customer than the value of the discount. So is he just an idiot who shouldn't have had his job in the first place or was there something else behind it?
Old 07-19-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's one:

Welcome to the new and improved DVD Talk, Ken. Logical discussions won't get you that far.

“It’s being reported that they called [police] because of a coupon, that’s just not it.”
Imagine that.
Old 07-19-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Retailers are in business to please customers. I worked at a Best Buy and we would honer any valid coupon if a customer argued enough, regardless of the expiration date. Why? Because situations like this hurt the company far more than the value of the coupon. That being the case, you have to wonder why he did this. Any store manager should know that it's never worth arguing over a coupon. You just give it to the customer and move on. The company lost more money by paying him to fight with the customer than the value of the discount. So is he just an idiot who shouldn't have had his job in the first place or was there something else behind it?
I agree. Just give the discount and get her out of the store. I guess she REALLY needed that incontinence product.
Old 07-19-18, 02:55 PM

Hey hey i never claimed they were racist just dicks.
And there are always annoying customers, if you are in any type of customer service industry you have to be able to deal with these type of situations as in "someone trying to use a possible fraudulent coupon"

This is not a terrorist situation, no weapons involved. Get control of this shit, allow this coupon then warn the customer, you have to use the original next time. Done
Old 07-19-18, 02:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I'm loving how most Otters are assuming racism here.
Most? Of the 12 people who posted above you, 2 mentioned or hinted at race (not including the OP, who expressed amazement at the press and CVS for twisting the facts to be about racism). So 2/12 is is "most Otters" in the thread now?

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Welcome to the new and improved DVD Talk, Ken. Logical discussions won't get you that far.
Yes, the "logic" that 2 out of 12 people equate to "most Otters are assuming racism here." Yep, that's a logical discussion for sure, and not reactionary faux outrage.

edit: WAS it racism? Fuck if I know. Maybe. Hell, probably, given how these things tend to happen lately. My point is only that "most" means 50% or more, not 16.6% or more.

Last edited by Dan; 07-19-18 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Most? Of the 12 people who posted above you, 2 mentioned or hinted at race (not including the OP, who expressed amazement at the press and CVS for twisting the facts to be about racism). So 2/12 is is "most Otters" in the thread now?

Yes, the "logic" that 2 out of 12 people equate to "most Otters are assuming racism here." Yep, that's a logical discussion for sure, and not reactionary faux outrage.

edit: WAS it racism? Fuck if I know. Maybe. Hell, probably, given how these things tend to happen lately. My point is only that "most" means 50% or more, not 16.6% or more.
Yup. I retract my "most", though I said it once and you cited it... let's see... four(!) times. My comment was about overreaction.... your comment seems to be an example of overreaction.
Old 07-19-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, if the woman was being belligerent I'm not defending that. But having worked in retail myself, I agree with the idea that losing the amount of a coupon discount is worth more than being "right."
Old 07-19-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
^Good thing she did try to cash a check...
back
Old 07-19-18, 03:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

My comment was about overreaction
A comment about overreaction while overreacting and over-representing the number of people who are supposedly overreacting in the first place. Okay

But yes, pointing out your mathematical error is an overreaction on my part.

I retract my "most", though I said it once and you cited it... let's see... four(!) times.
Exactly the number of times you mentioned race (which is twice as much as it was mentioned in all the posts above yours, not including the OP. huh.)

Last edited by Dan; 07-19-18 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's one:
This is my initial thought of what probably happened, based on the article posted and the comments from another customer.

And I hate that retail stores cave to terrible customers.
Old 07-19-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As someone who is both a customer and has worked in retail in the past, the customer is not always right, in fact they are usually wrong. They only get their way because the company is usually afraid of any bad publicity not because the customer is in the right.

The amount of people who try to lie and scam shit on a daily basis would astound most people who never worked in the retail world.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.