Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anyone have Raynauds?

Old 07-16-18, 11:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Anyone have Raynauds?

So I knew my mom had and didn’t really know anything about, but apparently your fingers or toes or both get unusually cold even though warm out. I guess something with circulation, but not lethal I don’t think.

So I discovered I have a bit of it in my pinky on right hand. Just discovered today. Asked pharmacist friend and he confirmed. Says can be due to stress. Ugh. Also can be herditary. So there’s that. I just don’t want it to spread. I mean I’m still youngish and my moms old. I don’t want it now.

So anyone have? Anything otc? See an internist or vascular something Dr? Meds to cure? Relieve symptoms?

I mean it’s not really a big deal now, very little spot. But worried bc mom has it bad...
Old 07-17-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Anyone have Raynauds?

Raynauds sounds like a department store.
Old 07-17-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was diagnosed with it when I was a kid, but my experience likely won't help you. Fingers on my hand would go numb and lose circulation when I'd ride my bike. Doctor told me to wear gloves and massage my digits when that happened. Maybe it was a misdiagnose, though, as the symptoms disappeared as I got older. Or perhaps I just have a minor case.
Old 07-18-18, 11:42 AM

My mom has Raynauds. She was diagnosed in 1996 and finally had to have an above knee amputation in 2015.
Old 07-18-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My father-in-law had this due to smoking his whole life.
Old 07-22-18, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would go see a rheumatologist for 2 reasons
1) verify you have raynauds not just cold intolerance (my fingers turn blue with minimal cold but I don't have true raynauds)
2) evaluate you for any auto immune disease (raynauds is seen in many auto immune diseases that can have significant problems even without you being aware untilt he damage is too late
Old 07-25-18, 04:17 PM

I have it, big time, about 40 years now. I used to wear electric socks, but they are expensive and a pain in the ass. I've worn thermal underwear year round for the last 30 years or so, sweaters every day, and keep a space heater under my desk. In my experience, there is no cure, and no way to prevent spreading, all you can do is learn to deal with the symptoms and accept it, then it really isn't that bad.

Exposed skin seems to be a huge trigger. My wife runs warm, so even during the summer, I'm usualyl wearing sweat shirts and sweat pants at home while she is in shorts and a t shirt. In my layers, I tuck thermals into one pair of socks, then wear another pair over the thermals, seals off the leg. Buy shoes a half size to a full size too big, extra width also, to allow for the extra socks.

At night, sleep entirely under the covers, it retains the heat you're exhaling. The big thing is to think of your body as a heat retention unit. The Raynaud's is your body getting confused about temperature and shutting down the extremities to keep your vital organs warm. If you can maintain the right basic temperature (mine is around 80), your body won't wake those measures.
Old 08-07-18, 02:00 AM

shoveler--invest in some of those reusable hand warmers (they are gel packs that you bend a metal disc in so that they warm up. you reactivate them via boiling. keep those on hand in case you ever have cold exposures.

they also make gloves (not sure about socks) that plug into USB ports--get a small juicebox/pwer bar for cell phones and this and you are golden...

these are 2 products I frequently tell people to get and they are cheap but well worth it
Old 08-07-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, I have this. Since I was a little kid, when my hands/feet get cold enough during the winter my fingers/toes turn completely white. I have to run them under hot water to get the color back. I always wondered wtf it was.
Old 08-09-18, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by krkuhl View Post
shoveler--invest in some of those reusable hand warmers (they are gel packs that you bend a metal disc in so that they warm up. you reactivate them via boiling. keep those on hand in case you ever have cold exposures.

they also make gloves (not sure about socks) that plug into USB ports--get a small juicebox/pwer bar for cell phones and this and you are golden...

these are 2 products I frequently tell people to get and they are cheap but well worth it
Thanks for the advice, but I used to buy the hand warmers by the case. My hands are only about 5% of the problem, my feet are the absolute worst part of it. I used to stick the hand warmers between my first and second pair of socks, but they would only last for a few hours. But I was in heaven for as long as they lasted, then back to being miserable.

I also used Thunderbolt Socks for many years, and loved them, but finally got sick of the wiring, and there were a few incidents where the wire would come loose from the heating pad in the sock and literally burn a hole in my outer sock and foot before I was able to disconnect the power supply. I would wear them year round, had car adapters, kept a power supply at work, another at home, and multiple battery packs. Again, an awesome solution, but I just got tired of having the wires running up my pants all the time. So now I just deal with it by using a space heater (again, have one at work, a few at home in different rooms) and electric blankets, and then coping when I'm not near a heating source.

For me, it is not so much a question of "in case" I ever have cold exposures. It is constant, so spot or temporary remedies aren't very useful.