Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Build-A-Bear 'Pay Your Age Day:' Time is money

Old 07-13-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Build-A-Bear 'Pay Your Age Day:' Time is money

My wife told me about this last night. Apparently there was an event where Build-A-Bear where priced according to the child's age. Needless to say people went crazy! Murica YO!

https://www.wral.com/build-a-bear-pa...ney-/17693919/

Never in my life did I think I would wait in line for four hours for a stuffed animal (or anything else for that matter).

When my sister and I first learned about Build-A-Bear Workshop’s “Pay Your Age Day” event earlier this week, we thought it would be a fun way to spend the morning with my 4-year-old nephew.

We expected that the event would draw a crowd, but never in our wildest dreams did we imagine that hundreds of people would show up at Crabtree Valley Mall early on Thursday morning.

When we arrived at the mall just after 8 a.m., the line stretched from Build-A-Bear, down the corridor and around the corner, stopping across from the H&M store.

The line quickly grew, stretching down toward Belk and eventually looping around to reach Sears on the opposite side. Based on our position in line, we estimated that it would take about two hours to reach the store, so we decided to stick it out.

Boy, was that estimate wrong.

As with any line, there were those who thought they wouldn’t have to wait, but security guards were pretty vigilant about removing line jumpers.

A woman behind us with one child had been in line for two hours when her two friends thought they could join with their two additional children. After an uproar from those in line, a guard quickly told the women they and their kids would have to leave, which they did.

When the women thought they were clever for sending their children back to the friend while they walked away, presumably because they thought they wouldn’t be noticed or because they thought the unaccompanied children wouldn’t be removed from the line, the guard told the woman remaining in line that, if her friends didn’t return for her children, the whole group would be kicked out.

The parents eventually came back for the kids, although they were quite unhappy their plan didn’t work.

Old 07-13-18, 08:37 AM

Re: Build-A-Bear 'Pay Your Age Day:' Time is money

The Comments on twitter are quite something

"America: Where people won't vote because they "don't have time," but WILL stand in line at Build-A-Bear for six hours to pay their age for a stuffed animal."

"Things that actually happen during my 13 hour shift at the build a bear today:
- a literal fist fight in the line
- two death threats
- a lady waited in line for 8 hours with her 1 week old and LEFT WITH NO BEAR because we had to charge her a dollar and not 1 cent
"
Old 07-13-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah my first thought on hearing this was that I'll swing by with my three year old, she'll love it. Then because I'm on the West Coast I started seeing the reports of stores opening on the East Coast, then watched some youtube videos of lines snaking around entire malls. No way.

I'm not sure what they expected, though, this is summertime and parents are off with their kids. I know they probably just wanted to subsidize a few stuffed animals and rake in some of that sweet accessory money but I doubt they even sold that many accessories if it was that crowded. I'm also sure people brought their infants to wait in line for 6 hours just to get their bear for a buck.
Old 07-13-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How much do these things usually cost?
Old 07-13-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
How much do these things usually cost?
I know the maximum you had to pay was $29 bucks so I guess up to that.
Old 07-13-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went into the one in the Mall of America for the hell of it the last time I was there a couple years ago. Some of the things they offer are kinda cool if I had a kid. I almost built a Ewok or Chewbacca bear but they were a bit pricey.
Old 07-13-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
"America: Where people won't vote because they "don't have time," but WILL stand in line at Build-A-Bear for six hours to pay their age for a stuffed animal."
America is doomed.

- a lady waited in line for 8 hours with her 1 week old and LEFT WITH NO BEAR because we had to charge her a dollar and not 1 cent
"

People are so fucking stupid.
Old 07-13-18, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I know the maximum you had to pay was $29 bucks so I guess up to that.
So basically people waiting in line for hours to save $20ish dollars, and by the way probably being rushed through the process. Fucking idiots. I wouldn't wait 30 minutes to save $20 let alone hours.
Old 07-13-18, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I have to wait in line for 8 hours to build a bear it better be a fucking grizzly.
Old 07-13-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

people are completely insane

8 hours in line?? WITH kids??? in hot weather??

I get annoyed if I have to spend 15 minutes in line to buy something without kids in AC. Hours is reaching DMV level frustration.

I can't imagine why anyone would do that over a $20-25 savings for a stuffed animal that will get thrown away in a few weeks.
Old 07-13-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't wait more than 1 minute to build a bear for $51!
Old 07-13-18, 09:42 AM

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/w...Pd#.cpnzPMGp70

"NASA now reporting they can see the queues outside Build A Bear Workshops from space."

"That tantrums have seemed to reached its peakness right now...crying to the front,back,and right of me..to the left of me, a wall."
Old 07-13-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Screw the line. I would rather just use the $15 off coupon which granted isn't as cheap but saving 4-8 hours? Hell yeah.
Old 07-13-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its like going to Disney skipping the ride, and going directly into the gift shop with a cranky 5 year old. What's not to like? Kill me....

Last edited by jpcamb; 07-13-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-13-18, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

All the Build a Bears near me are closed. My daughter wanted to do her birthday there back in December and every location we called were doing “going out of business” sales and couldn’t commit to long term party reservations.
Old 07-13-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here, go home and make one:

Old 07-13-18, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was genius marketing. Build A Bear is empty whenever i walk by it. I am sure this will get people back in the store paying full price for sometime at least. I can imagine a bunch of sad kids pestering their parents that didn’t stay or even go after hearing about the chaos.
Old 07-13-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
This was genius marketing. Build A Bear is empty whenever i walk by it. I am sure this will get people back in the store paying full price for sometime at least. I can imagine a bunch of sad kids pestering their parents that didn’t stay or even go after hearing about the chaos.
What's sad is more people didn't see through this. The nature of their service makes it impossible to serve the amount of people sure to be attracted by this "promotion". I'd like to see the various local authorities bill the company for whatever wasted man hours were spent dealing with this stupid shit.
Old 07-13-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
If I have to wait in line for 8 hours to build a bear it better be a fucking grizzly.
Old 07-13-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Where's grunter when you need him?
Old 07-13-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This guy got a bear from his couch just by asking

Old 07-13-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I'd like to see the various local authorities bill the company for whatever wasted man hours were spent dealing with this stupid shit.
Nobody forced anyone to stand around for hours with their kids. They each individually decided that saving $30 was worth over $60 of their time.
Old 07-13-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
The nature of their service makes it impossible to serve the amount of people sure to be attracted by this promotion.
A simple miscalculation. They expected people who wanted a build-a-bear, not money grubbing sport shoppers willing to exploit their young children.
Old 07-13-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
If I have to wait in line for 8 hours to build a bear it better be a grizzly I can fuck

Canadians
Old 07-13-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stupid, immature, and folly. The fault is mainly on the business for being dumb enough to 'plan' something like this. They knew it would be a nightmare, but probably though the PR would be worth it. I guess NOT. Tells me that people, paradoxically mothers with small children (??!!) have too much time on their hands.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.