Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

rucksack backpack recommendations

Old 07-06-18, 06:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

rucksack backpack recommendations

there are a million on amazon, looking for something for hiking but also for airline travel and general vacation use. anybody have one they like and recommend?
Old 07-06-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: rucksack backpack recommendations

I did research on these because I wanted to gift one to my nephew who was going to Greece. I ended up-buying the Osprey Farpoint 40 which is considered carry-on with 99% of airlines. There's a boatload of reviews if you google. If you think it's too small, upgrade to the Farpoint 55.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-07-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m a fan of tb 5.11 tactical Rush 24 bag. A lot of military people use them. The Rush 24 is listed below:

Amazon Amazon

But there are other sizes. The number indicates the number of hours you can pack one for (12 = 12 hours, 24= 1 day, etc.). I’m not sure anything larger than the Rush 24 could be used as a carryon bag but it might work.
Old 07-07-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would recommend heading to a REI or the like and trying out a few.
Old 07-09-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Iím a fan of tb 5.11 tactical Rush 24 bag. A lot of military people use them. The Rush 24 is listed below:

But there are other sizes. The number indicates the number of hours you can pack one for (12 = 12 hours, 24= 1 day, etc.). Iím not sure anything larger than the Rush 24 could be used as a carryon bag but it might work.
I like the military style bags, too, simply because they are much tougher than the average nylon hiking backpack and the molle makes it so easy to lash gear on the outside. I have a SOG Ninja for hiking and it works extremely well and was much cheaper than the 5.11 bags (
about $30 on Amazon about $30 on Amazon
). I went with the black version and put an REI patch over the dumb skull so I look less like a nerd playing G.I. Joe in the forest.
Old 07-09-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't be the only one that keeps seeing nutsack backpack recommendations?
Old 07-09-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know if people are preparing for the apocalypse, but "tactical" seems to be attached to a boatload of items on Amazon these days, from flashlights, knives, backpacks, etc... I don't know about the backpack suggested here (reviews seem to indicate it's very good), but generally speaking, I'm pretty sure this "tactical" buzzword is just marketing. I'm surprised I haven't seen tactical re-enforced 22 ply toilet paper.
Old 07-09-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is what I used for my Daypack. Osprey is awesome, they have a lifetime warranty and will repair or replace your pack for whatever reason. I have had varmints chew up a pack and they repaired it for free. If you have a REI close go check them out and get the size/design that will fit your needs.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-09-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been using a Blackhawk 3-Day Assault pack for over 15 years, both on duty and for recreation. Great pack.
Amazon Amazon