Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Apparently Kroger Stores Going To "ScanBagGo" Technology...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-03-18, 12:18 PM
Suspended

So, I hear from a few friends about Kroger stores taking out half their check stands, reducing their workforce (downsizing?) and forcing their customers to SCAN THEIR OWN GROCERIES (blocking the aisles and whatever else as people don't know shit about bar coding tech)...as well as bag their own groceries and have maybe one guy with a cute vest telling all these people what to do (when you really need a one-on-one advisement process).

Haven't seen this at Fred Meyer stores yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

Why is this convenient? It sounds like a nightmare, and from what I've heard from a few friends already, it's taking longer to check out, the aisles are filled with carts of people who are trying to scan their groceries, and the almost too-coincidental lack of customer service at these stores now (except in front of the new ScanBagGo setups).

Wasn't this done like a decade or more ago? Wasn't it a failed process?

Also, I heard that no pamphlets by stores such as Fry's were sent out to communities, letting them know what was going to happen...NOTHING. It just happened, literally...overnight. Checkstands were ripped out, and the customers are now left with partially remodeled stores, 50% reduction in check out stands, and a few forced-giddy employees telling you how awesome this new tech is.
Old 07-03-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Apparently Kroger Stores Going To "ScanBagGo" Technology...

It's been a couple years since I've had a cashier check me out at a grocery store. I always hit the self-service. Once people do it more, they'll get faster. It's not difficult.
Old 07-03-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

All the checkers do these days is run it under the scanner.. I could do that without waiting in a 10 minute line for someone to do it for me.

And bagging is easy.. Bread/eggs on the bottom and watermelon/soda on top. How hard is that?
Old 07-03-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many of the newly-built Kroger stores in Cincinnati (where Kroger is headquartered) have already implemented this, but the setup is much improved over the self checkouts that replaced existing checkout lanes and cause the backups you mention. The new layout has the self checkout lane "wrap around" behind the normal checkout lanes and along the front of the store, which in my experience causes less of a backup once people realize just how many additional registers are available.

Using coupons at Kroger self checkouts are still a joke, since they require the lone supervisor to manually log in to your register and then scan the coupons for you. Meijer (a similar "marketplace" grocery chain based out of Michigan, only in five or six states at the moment) has had coupon self scanning figured out for years now.
Old 07-03-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Using coupons at Kroger self checkouts are still a joke, since they require the lone supervisor to manually log in to your register and then scan the coupons for you. Meijer (a similar "marketplace" grocery chain based out of Michigan, only in five or six states) has had coupon self scanning figured out for years now.
I shop at Ralph's and when I go through the checker they give me coupons related to my purchases when I get my receipt - after I've paid. When I go through the self-checkout it spits out the coupon as I scan it. So, at the end, I scan the related coupons and I save all sorts of money. Not sure why it works that way but it's been like that for a very long time now.
Old 07-03-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I shop at Ralph's and when I go through the checker they give me coupons related to my purchases when I get my receipt - after I've paid. When I go through the self-checkout it spits out the coupon as I scan it. So, at the end, I scan the related coupons and I save all sorts of money. Not sure why it works that way but it's been like that for a very long time now.
The Kroger coupon "dispensers" work that way as well, but if you attempt to scan the coupons at the self checkout yourself, you get the dreaded "Please wait for assistance" screen, and need to wait for the supervisor to finish helping the other customer who can't figure out how to look under "B" in order to weigh their bananas.
Old 07-03-18, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

We’ve had threads on this before. Self checkout is a bitch if you have anything more than ten items. Check out personnel are FAST. Also, anything without a bar code is a bitch.

What ever happened to the technology that I’ve seen touted since the 80’s where you can push the whole shopping cart through a scanner and scan everything in seconds?

How about a store where you QR scan what you want and don’t put anything in your cart, and then an employee gathers everything in the back room and wheels it out for you?

Also, in California any purchase that contains alcohol must be rung up by a real person.
Old 07-03-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What ever happened to the technology that I’ve seen touted since the 80’s where you can push the whole shopping cart through a scanner and scan everything in seconds?
Way back in 1991 I was a participant in a test at a grocery store in Burbank. I got this cart that had a computer basically mounted on the front basket. When I took something off the shelf I would scan it and it would spit me out a coupon and even offer some recopies or something. Also I had a search button and so if I needed cheesecloth it show me a map of exactly where it was so I didn't have to do a bunch of looking around. When I was done.. I just swiped my credit card and I was done. No checkout.. no nothing. Worked great! That was in 1991.. not sure what happened.

One annoying thing about it though was that as I passed like the toilet paper it would start playing a commercial for this or that brand. I didn't like that so much.
Old 07-03-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw this at Ralph's locally a few weeks ago, although it wasn't implemented yet and they just hand some signs. Personally, I always like the self service options at grocery stores and this looks like an expansion on that. Sounds good to me.
Old 07-03-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the self check out!! One less min wage idiot I have to speak to during my day and there is zero chance I will put a 5lb bag of flour on my loaf of bread in the same bag.

The real horror was a store I frequent had the self check registers all go offline at the same time so no one could use them. I just left at that point as the 3 real cashiers they had all had 20+ people in their lines and it looked like an hour wait to check out.

I would rather do everything on my own. I also like the touch screen ordering that some fast food places are putting in. Always gets my order right

I will say that scanners are far less picky these days, they scan everything almost instantly and correctly. The scales they use to weigh items to make sure you are not stealing balance very quickly now. The little gotchas in the equipment that once existed years ago are mostly gone now. I never wait in line anymore in stores with self check, either people don't want to use them or they really do move people through quicker

Only hold up is if something is priced wrong or you are buying booze.
Old 07-03-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like checking out myself for a few items, but for a big order, it's annoying.

I was a cashier back in my teenage days, and the scanners for self-checkout don't seem to work as well. The bigger the order, the more annoying it is, since each of those items can add a few seconds trying to get the scanner to read. Then if I'm scanning, I'm not bagging. While the cashier rings up a big order, I can bag everything myself, and it's simply so much faster for larger orders.
Old 07-03-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Using coupons at Kroger self checkouts are still a joke, since they require the lone supervisor to manually log in to your register and then scan the coupons for you. Meijer (a similar "marketplace" grocery chain based out of Michigan, only in five or six states at the moment) has had coupon self scanning figured out for years now.
Meijer has a full grocery store, but it also has pretty much everything else, making it more of a competitor to places like Walmart than just grocery stores.

It's also still entirely family owned, which is why they have expanded slowly.
Old 07-03-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Meijer has a full grocery store, but it also has pretty much everything else, making it more of a competitor to places like Walmart than just grocery stores.

It's also still entirely family owned, which is why they have expanded slowly.
That's why I specified "marketplace", which is what Kroger calls their larger stores that also carry clothing, toys, electronics, etc. like Meijer, Wal*Mart, and Super Target (which we don't have around here). We have several Kroger Marketplaces here, but I'm not sure how prevalent they are elsewhere.

Meijer is my first choice for groceries among the big box stores.
Old 07-03-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

We’ve had threads on this before. Self checkout is a bitch if you have anything more than ten items. Check out personnel are FAST. Also, anything without a bar code is a bitch.
This is pretty much it. Self-checkout is fine for a few things and things you don't have to look up (produce codes). If you do a full cart, it's a fucking nightmare. The other day at my local Fry's store (Kroger grocery store here) one of the guys called me over to self-checkout even though I had a full cart of groceries. Even with him doing the checking out and me bagging, it still took twice as long to do it than if I had gone to a regular stand. Our store now has like 10 or 12 checkout stations, which is great in a pinch for a few things. But anything more than about 10 items, it's just not worth it.
Old 07-03-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the self check-out. No one checks out faster than me. In fact, I race all the others who are checking out nearby. And I destroy them each and every time.
Old 07-03-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I love the self check-out. No one checks out faster than me. In fact, I race all the others who are checking out nearby. And I destroy them each and every time.
I'm going to submit this to the Olympic committee as an event. Keep practicing.
Old 07-03-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with this. IMO, the biggest issue with a lot of groceries is that you have to keep EVERYTHING on the scale/bagging station at once. With a large load of groceries at starts to become awful hard to keep an entire cart load of stuff on that little shelf, and continue trying to bag more stuff. If they can either, 1. Make those scales, say 3 times their current size, or 2. Find a way to allow people to place bags back i their carts as they scan, it’ll make the large load problem go away.

The only issues I ever have with self-checkout is when the bagging scale gets confused and goes to its default “wait for assistance” bullshit. Most the time it’s just the cashier coming over, looking that I’ve actually bagged what I just scanned, and overriding it with his card. The problem, as previously mentioned, is that usually the cashier is dicking around with something else and takes forever to get to me.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 07-03-18 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree self check out sucks for lots of items or when you have fresh veggies. Seems like the Scan and Go things should help there though, since you could basically scan and bag right where you are rather then have to take things out of the cart and bag later.
Old 07-03-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I like checking out myself for a few items, but for a big order, it's annoying.

I was a cashier back in my teenage days, and the scanners for self-checkout don't seem to work as well. The bigger the order, the more annoying it is, since each of those items can add a few seconds trying to get the scanner to read. Then if I'm scanning, I'm not bagging. While the cashier rings up a big order, I can bag everything myself, and it's simply so much faster for larger orders.

This.

Self-check is okay if I only have one or two bags of groceries, but if you have a full cart it sucks. The bagging stations are really tiny and sorting your stuff can be a pain in the ass.

I'm also not sure if I'm supposed to put stuff in the bagging area to weigh it so they know I'm not shoplifting. At Walmart I tend to use the the scanning gun a lot and don't even take big things out of my cart like plastic storage tubs, cases of bottled water, or six packs of soda.

When the Walmart near me put in self check stations it was kind of a nightmare. I think something was wrong with them because there was a delay between scanning and the item showing up as scanned, and it would take two or three seconds for the scan to go through, so I'd ring stuff up two or three times because I didn't think it had read it. Then the person monitoring thecself-checks had to walk over and void the extra charges.
Old 07-03-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Self check-out works fine if you have less than ten items that all have bar codes. But grocery stores continue to have many items without regular bar codes or irregular labels.

Most of the grocery self check-out areas I've used are horribly designed when you have a full cart of items.
Old 07-03-18, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Meijer and now Kroger have full lane self-checkouts, not just the few items things that have been around for a while. Those allow for large orders, they have the grocery belts that feed down to a full bagging area. And they have a bar to close off your groceries while you are bagging so that the person behind you can start.

I think they work pretty well, except for when the person ahead of you sucks at scanning, which is common. Produce is the big thing that holds up the process.
Old 07-03-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's why I specified "marketplace", which is what Kroger calls their larger stores that also carry clothing, toys, electronics, etc. like Meijer, Wal*Mart, and Super Target (which we don't have around here). We have several Kroger Marketplaces here, but I'm not sure how prevalent they are elsewhere.

Meijer is my first choice for groceries among the big box stores.
Yeah I've never seen a "Kroger Marketplace" anywhere and didn't know that was a thing. Here we just have grocery stores.
Old 07-03-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fuck this. But hey, Technology must advance so that Anti-Social folks can buy salami cuts and Jock itch Cream in peace.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-04-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-03-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Yeah I've never seen a "Kroger Marketplace" anywhere and didn't know that was a thing. Here we just have grocery stores.
They're sort of like a Walmart or Target in that they also sell stuff like toys, dishes, towels, furniture, clothes, and other similar items. Not a lot of electronics or sporting goods, though.

The ones I've been in still have most of their floorspace dedicated to traditional grocery items, with maybe a third dedicated to the other stuff, whereas a Walmart or Target have maybe a third of their stores dedicated to groceries.

They also tend to be more upscale than Walmart or Target, with nicer furniture (couches, endtables, recliners) and a wider selection of groceries.

They also have a pretty decent bistro with daily specials like prime rib, a pretty extensive bakery, Starbucks, and a dining area.

Another thing about Kroger is that they have different regional names because they buy out smaller regional,chainsso, depending on where you live it might be Bakers, Dillons, Fry's, Smith's or other name.
Old 07-03-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My new rule: If I'm forced to check out my groceries myself, I'll expect at least a 5% discount for my trouble.

I've been relying on the checkout stand paradigm for over 40 years. It's worked extremely well. Why suddenly are we being forced to abandon it, in the name of greed and "downsizing"?

Grocery store checkouts aren't something in need of downsizing, nor are the checkout employees in need of disappearing.

Are grocery store margins THAT small that we need to now "bag our own groceries"? Ridiculous.

NOW, if and when we can just walk out of the store with all of our groceries, have them scanned at the door on our way out, and charged to our credit card, that *might* be a new paradigm shift worth pursuing. But, even then, I'm sure we'll be charged *a lot* more for that extra convenience and / or charged more or for extra items we didn't walk out with.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.