Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, if the opioid crisis in America is so bad, why are they so cheap?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-30-18, 06:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I used to work in a pharmacy part-time, pharm manager. still do, in the summer and some weekends, but what i never asked a pharmacist and what i am curious to know is why, even with insurance, are people paying less than $1.00 for some tablets of oxycodone, hydrocodone and other opiods, pharmacies have. i think we have some fentanyl products, like hydromorphone?

literally, i've seen co-payments of .18cents, .54cents, shit like that. even 30 day fills are less than $5.00 or so with most insurances. that's crazy...

those scripts are the most filled it seems. it doesn't make the pharmacy i work for money, but can't understand why the manufacturer's charge so little. and we card, but anyone can pick up. as long as they have valid driver's license or Passport or Military id, they can pick up someone else's meds. the one i fill at doesn't even card for controlled or narcotics...

there has got to be something done about this. it really is crazy how many scripts we fill for "pain". legislation, something, people in rural towns are dying by the hundreds. crazy. the statistics of deaths compared to car crashes, others, is staggering...
Old 06-30-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

re: So, if the opioid crisis in America is so bad, why are they so cheap?

I think you answered most of your questions in the thread title alone ...
Old 06-30-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Making drugs more expensive hasn't made people quit using them.
Old 06-30-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
there has got to be something done about this. it really is crazy how many scripts we fill for "pain". legislation, something, people in rural towns are dying by the hundreds. crazy. the statistics of deaths compared to car crashes, others, is staggering...
Well, Nevada has passed a ton of new laws to make it more difficult to prescribe opiods. I never write for that stuff anyways, but it's made life really hard on my surgery and OB colleagues. The mountain of paperwork you have to fill out is staggering and daunting. I'm sure a lot of folks who really could benefit from some pain meds are just getting told to take Alieve instead.

The copays might still be low, but the meds are going to be rarer and rarer, at least in this state. Street prices are probably through the roof now (I would imagine). Docs just aren't prescribing them like candy any more (even the terrible unethical ones).
Old 06-30-18, 08:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Docs just aren't prescribing them like candy any more (even the terrible unethical ones).
from what i've seen at pharmacy, i have to disagree. at least in NYS.
Old 06-30-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got 20 Oxycodone for $2.73. That's less per dose than my neighbor is paying for insulin.
Old 06-30-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
from what i've seen at pharmacy, i have to disagree. at least in NYS.
Thatís because youíre at a pharmacy. If you hang out at a Pizza Hut, itís going to seem like everyone is eating pizza.
Old 06-30-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Thatís because youíre at a pharmacy. If you hang out at a Pizza Hut, itís going to seem like everyone is eating pizza.
If if the state laws haven't changed, nothing is likely changing in prescribing habits. The hammer has come down in NV and I know it's made a difference - - if nothing else it's made doctor-shopping for pills impossible in this state : the prescribing physician is required by law to do a database search every 3 months to see if the patient is getting controlled substances anywhere else. That's a law that I am in 100% support of. Other laws seem far less thought out and make a lot less sense.
Old 06-30-18, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crazy how marijuana is deemed dangerous and not legalized in every state which is a natural plant, but opioids which is man made are given out like candy.
Old 07-01-18, 08:33 AM

Don't really wanna be "that guy" but it's "opioid", not "opiod". Kudos to Sonic for getting it right.
Old 07-01-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Crazy how marijuana is deemed dangerous and not legalized in every state which is a natural plant, but opioids which is man made are given out like candy.
They're man-made -- from a natural plant source.

Old 07-01-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This "crisis" is a joke.
Old 07-01-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
This "crisis" is a joke.
During 2016, there were more than 63,600 overdose deaths in the United States, including 42,249 that involved an opioid (66.4%). That's an average of 115 opioid overdose deaths each day.

I guess I could see the joke, but it seems like a dark one.
Old 07-01-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slybone View Post
Don't really wanna be "that guy" but it's "opioid", not "opiod". Kudos to Sonic for getting it right.
Thank you. Unfortunately "opioid" is very commonly misspelled as "opiod", even by the government. But then again, I always thought that opium derived drugs were called "opiates", not sure when that was changed to "opioid", seems like a rather recent thing IMO.
Old 07-01-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's sad that people who actually need them will have a much tougher road to get them because so many people are over dosing and dying from taking too many.

JMO, but it should be on a case by case base. If a person who takes their medicine like they are supposed to and never ask for early refills, they should continue to get them.

But, I would imagine that would be next to impossible to police.
Old 07-01-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

During 2016, there were more than 63,600 overdose deaths in the United States, including 42,249 that involved an opioid (66.4%). That's an average of 115 opioid overdose deaths each day.

I guess to some it's hilarious if you don't know anyone directly affected by it...
Old 07-01-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Opiods are cheap because they are off patent protection in most cases and they aren't expensive to make for the pharma companies. The same reason many drugs are available at these prices.

The perfect combination that leads to a cheap drug is the trifecta of huge mass market demand, easy to manufacture, and off patent protection.
Old 07-01-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not in the market, but aren't crack and Meth cheap as well?
Old 07-01-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you want to play the emotion route, great. But it doesn't change the facts.

Speaking of, your stats don't reflect illicit drug use versus legal prescription use. This "crisis" is lumping illicit use and legal use together.

The problem isn't over-use. The problem is a very small minority of doctors who are committing crimes (selling the bulk to drug dealers who sell it on the street)...and drugs (in this case, opioids) being smuggled from Mexico.

So, you need to breakdown those OD deaths for us, because you're lumping them all together which is seriously misleading.

Also, more people die each year (by a factor of about 5 from your stat) from just going to the hospital.

Perspective.

This is not a crisis.

What's next? A few deaths from kids smoking pot and driving and you'll be on that bandwagon, too? Because that's where this joke is headed, you know. It's about one pharm creating an "alternative" and making a shitload of money, while having the fed protect them.
Old 07-01-18, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Speaking of, your stats don't reflect illicit drug use versus legal prescription use. This "crisis" is lumping illicit use and legal use together.
You do know that one leads to another, right? When you get hooked on prescription pain killers and your doctor cuts you off, heroin tends to be a common substitute.
Old 07-01-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
It's sad that people who actually need them will have a much tougher road to get them because so many people are over dosing and dying from taking too many.

JMO, but it should be on a case by case base. If a person who takes their medicine like they are supposed to and never ask for early refills, they should continue to get them.

But, I would imagine that would be next to impossible to police.
The secret is that no one ďneedsĒ them. They donít do anything. They donít relieve pain. They just make you high so you donít mind the pain.
Old 07-01-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
You do know that one leads to another, right? When you get hooked on prescription pain killers and your doctor cuts you off, heroin tends to be a common substitute.
So, you're saying we should also group medical marijuana users with illegal drug trafficking of pot such as importation of illegal marijuana from Mexico and Canada?

That makes so much sense in presenting statistics that are supposed to inform people.

And what about people who have a casual drink with their friends at a restaurant versus people who drink and drive and kill people. Same thing? We group everyone into one statistic?
Old 07-01-18, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The secret is that no one “needs” them. They don’t do anything. They don’t relieve pain. They just make you high so you don’t mind the pain.
Nope, that's totally wrong.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4590096/

There are plenty of problems with the class of medications - most notably due to tolerance and dependency issues as well as over-dosage with respiratory depression. But they are, most definitely, analgesics.
Old 07-01-18, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nope, that's totally wrong.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4590096/

There are plenty of problems with the class of medications - most notably due to tolerance and dependency issues as well as over-dosage with respiratory depression. But they are, most definitely, analgesics.
I'm glad you answered what has to be one of the most ignorant posts ever.

Yes this class of medications have had problems but to think they don't have any value in patient care is amazingly ignorant.
Old 07-01-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's like people against Marijuana who thinks it serves no value except to get high. Yet it can stop seizures.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.