Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Identity of D.B. Cooper solved?

Old 06-28-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Identity of D.B. Cooper solved?

The search for D.B. Cooper: Investigators say they've confirmed skyjacker's identity by decoding long-lost 'confession'
A team of cold-case investigators claim they’ve decoded a 1972 message by D.B. Cooper — and that it contains a confession from Vietnam veteran Robert Rackstraw, long suspected of being the infamous skyjacker.
The letter was addressed to “The Portland Oregonian Newspaper.”
Television and film producer Tom Colbert — who’s led a team of about 40 private investigators in the search for Cooper — said he received the letter after successfully suing the FBI for the Cooper files.
Rick Sherwood, a former member of the Army Security Agency — which deciphers signals — said he spotted four phrases or words that were repeated throughout the note, including “D.B. Cooper is not real,” “Uncle” or “Unk” referring to Uncle Sam, “the system,” and “lackey cops.”
“D.B. Cooper” and “lackey cops” appeared in the same sentence, “as did “Unk” and “the system,” suggesting to Sherwood that the coded messages could be contained in those sentences.
He decoded “through good ole Unk” to mean “by skyjacking a jet plane,” using a system of letters and numbers.
“And please tell the lackey cops” was decoded to mean “I am 1st LT Robert Rackstraw,” according to Colbert.
Rackstraw, now 74 and living in the San Diego area, could not be reached for comment, was previously investigated and cleared by authorities of being Cooper, but he remains the most likely suspect in the elusive case.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...626-story.html

Could this infamous case finally be solved? I almost wish it wasn't. It's stuff of legend.
Old 06-28-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Identity of D.B. Cooper solved?

Again.

Old 06-28-18, 06:23 PM

“D.B. Cooper” and “lackey cops” appeared in the same sentence, “as did “Unk” and “the system,” suggesting to Sherwood that the coded messages could be contained in those sentences.
He decoded “through good ole Unk” to mean “by skyjacking a jet plane,” using a system of letters and numbers. “And please tell the lackey cops” was decoded to mean “I am 1st LT Robert Rackstraw,” according to Colbert.
Wow, hard to argue with that evidence.
Old 06-28-18, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I also decoded this letter. "through good ole Unk" means "I post on DVDTalk" and "And plesae tell the lackey cops" was decoded to mean "On the otter forum".
Old 06-28-18, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Could there be legal issues here by suggesting Rackstraw without sufficient proof?
Can they just name him in such a big case, like this?
Old 06-28-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Again.

It feels like different “investigators” find the identity of the real D.B. Cooper about once a year.
Old 06-29-18, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here he is...

Old 06-29-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, that's the guy that was abducted by aliens
Old 06-29-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope they never figure it out.
Old 06-29-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen this case "solved" about ten different times in the past decade alone. Color me skeptical.
Old 06-29-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

10? C'mon dude maybe 3 at most during the entire case. Maybe 10 different speculative theories, but not 'solved' and definitely not in the past decade hahaha
Old 06-29-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
The search for D.B. Cooper: Investigators say they've confirmed skyjacker's identity by decoding long-lost 'confession'

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...626-story.html

Could this infamous case finally be solved?.
No it still hasn't.
Old 06-29-18, 04:17 PM
X
Administrator

It really is Rackstraw. One of my best friends was hired, I believe by Rackstraw's aunt, to find out what happened to her brother who mysteriously disappeared. Eventually, after some heavy rains, they found him in buried in a shallow grave on his own property. There was a bunch of explosives and firearms involved as well.

Rackstraw had skipped town to avoid prosecution. My friend heard he was doing helicopter training in the Middle East and figured it must have been for Bell Helicopter in Iran. They got him thrown out of Iran so he had to come back to the U.S. and was arrested when he arrived. Rackstraw was acquitted of the murder due to a bungled prosecution.

My friend has worked with the FBI on this and it seemed very suspicious that right when proof of his being D.B. Cooper was getting stronger the FBI closed the case, possibly due to Rackstraw's CIA connections.
Old 06-29-18, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rackstraw attempted to fake his own death by radioing a false mayday call and telling controllers that he was bailing out of a rented plane over Monterey Bay. Police later arrested him in Fullerton on an additional charge of forging federal pilot certificates; the plane he claimed to have ditched was found, repainted, in a nearby hangar.
I think they have the right guy.
Old 06-29-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is the producer Stephen Colbert's father. Would make so much sense.
Old 06-29-18, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Is the producer Stephen Colbert's father. Would make so much sense.
Seeing that Stephen Colbert's father died in a plane crash in 1974, would make that unlikely.

Or maybe Colbert's father was actually DB Cooper, and he used a 2nd plane crash to fake his own death?
And if so, why won't Trump and the Republicans release that info to the public? /s
Old 06-29-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It makes sense that a suspected hijacker is a rotten guy in other parts of his life.
Old 06-30-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just read the linked article. The talk about code in the letter reads like all that Bible Code BS.

Not to mention the whole he's-so-arrogant-he-confessed-in-a-coded-message schtick reads like a grade B movie villain bio.
Old 06-30-18, 01:33 PM
drc

That guy identified Rackstraw in a documentary on Discovery ID (or one of those type of channels) a few years ago. He had a second team come in to give it an independent look and they basically didn't buy his conclusions. He seemed obsessed with the case to the point of losing all objectivity.
Old 06-30-18, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by drc View Post
That guy identified Rackstraw in a documentary on Discovery ID (or one of those type of channels) a few years ago. He had a second team come in to give it an independent look and they basically didn't buy his conclusions. He seemed obsessed with the case to the point of losing all objectivity.
Wait, are you suggesting that some (most?) conspiracy theorists are nutjobs? /s
Old 07-02-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
Just read the linked article. The talk about code in the letter reads like all that Bible Code BS.

Not to mention the whole he's-so-arrogant-he-confessed-in-a-coded-message schtick reads like a grade B movie villain bio.
You mean like the zodiac letters...…?