Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tool time

Old 06-23-18, 04:39 PM
Cool New Member

Tool time

Ok so I just bought a house and need a suggestion. The inspection came back great. One issues was “fix master bath”. The issue is when I run a shower in the master bath the tub faucet leaks while running the shower so I don’t get full pressure from the shower. Not a real hand guy but what’s an easy way to fix this?

Thanks

Last edited by Grandroyal; 06-23-18 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 05:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: Tool time

Old 06-23-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds like your shower diverter valve is worn. It was a pretty easy job to replace on my shower.

My only problem was that I bought the size wrong valve the first time around, so I learned that I should take it apart and look at the part before I order a replacement. Simply ordering by the brand of the faucet wasn't enough detail.
Old 06-23-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Grandroyal View Post
Ok so I just bought a house and need a suggestion. The inspection came back great. One issues was “fix master bath”. The issue is when I run a shower in the master bath the tub faucet leaks while running the shower so I don’t get full pressure from the shower. Not a real hand guy but what’s an easy way to fix this?

Thanks
Start with the faucet. Lowe’s and Home Depot sell replacements and even full kits with adapters and Teflon tape. It’s a pretty easy DIY job.
Old 06-23-18, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

Ok. Thanks guys
Old 06-24-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unusual for people to join a DVD or movie talk community to get plumbing advice. Not a complaint, just an observation. As always, welcome.

As a new homeowner you may want to start being a handy guy. Unless you have extra cash, or are so busy you can't do a Saturday project, little things can add up fast if you have to hire someone every time. Handy neighbors are also a good source for tools and knowledge.

I'm not a fan of their tools and definitely don't recommend anything electrical but Harbor Freight has some good weekend warrior bargains. For tools you need maybe a couple times a year, nothing wrong with cheapos.

For any plumbing job find your water shutoff in the basement if you have one. Many times builders or previous owners will install them at different points throughout the house but the master will shut down everything. As Kdogg said, start with the faucet. If the diverter valve is worn, might as well replace the whole thing as a kit. Yank the old one, bring it in to a hardware store and let them tell you what to do. If not take pictures and ask for advice. Hopefully your store is close by. The worst part of these projects is getting home and having the wrong part, then going back two or three times. Kills a whole day.

Oh and get your curse words warmed up. Any DIY project usually involves one or two choice expletives when the MF'ing part won't go on straight even when it should slide right on.
Old 06-24-18, 08:58 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Unusual for people to join a DVD or movie talk community to get plumbing advice. Not a complaint, just an observation. As always, welcome.

As a new homeowner you may want to start being a handy guy. Unless you have extra cash, or are so busy you can't do a Saturday project, little things can add up fast if you have to hire someone every time. Handy neighbors are also a good source for tools and knowledge.

I'm not a fan of their tools and definitely don't recommend anything electrical but Harbor Freight has some good weekend warrior bargains. For tools you need maybe a couple times a year, nothing wrong with cheapos.

For any plumbing job find your water shutoff in the basement if you have one. Many times builders or previous owners will install them at different points throughout the house but the master will shut down everything. As Kdogg said, start with the faucet. If the diverter valve is worn, might as well replace the whole thing as a kit. Yank the old one, bring it in to a hardware store and let them tell you what to do. If not take pictures and ask for advice. Hopefully your store is close by. The worst part of these projects is getting home and having the wrong part, then going back two or three times. Kills a whole day.

Oh and get your curse words warmed up. Any DIY project usually involves one or two choice expletives when the MF'ing part won't go on straight even when it should slide right on.

Ha Ha thanks for a the advice. I’ve been lurking for a while and people seem to get and give good advice here. I am slowly becoming handy and would like to as I’d rather same money and learn things myself than pay extra cash.