Reload this Page >

Parents billed $132K after their child knocks over a statue

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-19-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

https://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-fa...ry?id=55927437

I say both parties are negligent. the parents should have been watching their children but were nowhere around. The statue should have been secured somehow so it ashould not have easily fallen over.
Old 06-19-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: Parents billed $132K after their child knocks over a statue

I don't think the museum here is much at fault at all. It didn't look it it had "easily fallen over" to me. The kid gabbed it and pulled it off. He took 2 tries at it. Had it been lightly brushed or banged I don't think it would have gone anywhere. I think his objective was to pick up and carry it away but it was too heavy for him. The parents claiming he just was trying to "hug" it is laughable.

So, while I think the kid is 100% at fault and in therefor so are the completely in-attentive guardians, the price of artwork is highly subjective and I think a much more reasonable compromise as to a dollar amount can be reached.
Old 06-19-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good. Let them pay the $132k as a hard lesson learned, to watch their devil hellspawn. This shall be a clear message for entitled and negigent parents throughout the land to supervise their children out in public, using a leash if they must.
Old 06-19-18, 06:11 PM

Hmmm....I agree with Zod, a compromise is in order here. Technically, the insurance company could have claimed the piece is barely worth the cost of materials to assemble it much less $132K so hellspawn kids or not if I were the parents I would not roll over and simply pay up. Also, just because the exhibition place did not have other unsecured pieces fall over does not mean that the parents do not have a point.
Old 06-19-18, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As someone who deals with kids all day every day, let me tell you there is a reasonable expectation that if you let kids into your place of business, you should expect them to potentially knock over anything that is within their height and weight range. It's not malicious, it's part of exploration. I've had kids grab otoscopes and opthalmoscopes that I left for even a second that they toss onto the ground and break -- that's on me and I never have sent a bill. You have to assume that kids will break anything they reasonably can get their hands on. Now if you bring a kid to a restaurant and he knocks over a huge pile of dishes, that's on you because you know a kid can't be wandering around the kitchen. In a community center, it's reasonable to assume kids will be wandering around the lobby and you'd better secure everything so that nothing gets jostled or knocked over. Parents do not assume all liability for potential damage that a five year old could potentially do without the use of a weapon or heavy object. I'm with the parents of the feral kid on this one.
Old 06-19-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just seen the video. Parents are to blame here for not teaching her little brats how to behave in public.
Old 06-19-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-19-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It wasn't a museum, it was a community center. If the kid had hurt himself, I bet the family would have won a suit against the city. Tie down your damn statues! I'm with the family on this one, even though I think they need do a better job supervising.
Old 06-19-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Better than $1.5M....
Old 06-19-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
If the kid had hurt himself, I bet the family would have won a suit against the city.
I got a better one.

How about a stranger comes in and gives the kid a lolipop then lures him into a van and kidnaps him? That will teach the parents about better supervising.

Reality is the parents don't give two shits about their children and their whereabouts.
Old 06-19-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I well know my reputation as kid hating Vibs, but I've got to say, the mother's attitude in the interviews I have seen really pissed me off. The whole world doesn't revolve around your kid.
Old 06-19-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IIR its not technically the museum going after the parent. But rather the museums insurance company. This is very common.

It’s just like you are in a car accident and it is the other persons fault. You want things to go as easily as possible so you turn in under your own insurance (you have a choice). Well after your insurance company pays you, they will go after the responsible party and their insurance. You don’t have a choice.

Same thing if you buy a brand new toaster and first time you use it, it starts a fire and guts your kitchen. Your insurance company will pay you, but they will see if the toaster was at fault (assuming not misused) and try to get their money back from the toaster maker.

If the parents have home insurance (or renters insurance) it will mostly likely be a package policy that will also have liability. Of course it varies greatly by state, but if the parents are legally liable and it wasn’t something done on purpose, then it is possible there is coverage under their home/renters policy. Possibly.

100,000+ is a lot, but not a lot a lot. If it is the museums insurance company, my bet is they are going after the parents insurance policy. Most insurance companies wouldn’t want the bad press of forcing a person/family to declare bankruptcy to protect themselves if they don’t have that kind of money. And if attorneys get involved, those costs and fees may exceed the cost of the statue. Which again, depending on the state might not be part of the recovery.
Old 06-19-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
As someone who deals with kids all day every day, let me tell you there is a reasonable expectation that if you let kids into your place of business, you should expect them to potentially knock over anything that is within their height and weight range. It's not malicious, it's part of exploration. I've had kids grab otoscopes and opthalmoscopes that I left for even a second that they toss onto the ground and break -- that's on me and I never have sent a bill. You have to assume that kids will break anything they reasonably can get their hands on. Now if you bring a kid to a restaurant and he knocks over a huge pile of dishes, that's on you because you know a kid can't be wandering around the kitchen. In a community center, it's reasonable to assume kids will be wandering around the lobby and you'd better secure everything so that nothing gets jostled or knocked over. Parents do not assume all liability for potential damage that a five year old could potentially do without the use of a weapon or heavy object. I'm with the parents of the feral kid on this one.

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
It wasn't a museum, it was a community center. If the kid had hurt himself, I bet the family would have won a suit against the city. Tie down your damn statues! I'm with the family on this one, even though I think they need do a better job supervising.
THANK YOU!!!!!

Are the other posters serious? That statute didn't even look secured or behind a barrier. That child could have been injured!! But dvdtalk assholes are all about punishing parents.
Old 06-19-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What were the parents so busy and occupied with that they neglected the absence of their children? Let me guess, busy posting on twitter, Facebook, Instagram pictures thinking you a high profile celebrity?

If that statue could have been heavier it would have crushed the kid.

This is the same type of shit when you have shit parents with a swimming pool and forget that their child is near it and realize it's too late and the child drowned.
Old 06-19-18, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Parents were busy posting in the Otter forum. So busy they didn’t see the sign on the door that says:

“Beautiful to look at, lovely to hold, but if you break it, consider it sold”
Old 06-19-18, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gotta ask you Sonic, are you a parent? I'm guessing not. Kids, especially boys can get into trouble damn quick. My son at age two ran out of the library when my wife looked away for a second (and as careful as you think you are, you do stuff like that because you are human). My son, quick as a flash ran out of the children's section, past the Security Guard, out the front door and into the parking lot. He could have easily gotten killed. Thank God my wife ran after him and got him uninjured. I'm sure you would happily blame my wife, but she's the most over-protective person I've ever met. I am telling you, that stuff can happen fast. Kids are shockingly unpredictable.
I had a near drowning case last week where the mom literally took off the kids life vest and turned around a second to look at his sister as he fell right back into the pool.
It's imperative that you child-proof areas where children can wander around. That Statue was clearly not child proofed.
Old 06-19-18, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again guys/gals I think it unlikely the parents will have to pay. Yes, possible, but I found this...

“According to KSHB’s interview with Sarah Goodman, the boy’s mother, the incident occurred during a wedding reception. Later, the Goodmans received a letter from an insurance company representing the city of Overland Park. The letter claimed that they were liable for damage to the statue because they weren’t monitoring their children closely enough, and put the price tag at $132,000”

http://fortune.com/2018/06/16/parent...-falls-museum/

It sounds like the insurance company of the city is trying to get the parents to file a claim with their insurance company. It’s possible (and legal) that the museums insurance company could try to collect directly from the parents, but not likely. They want the “easy money” from the parents insurance company.
Old 06-19-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the people that keep saying museum are purposefully misleading to make their point. It's a community center, where I assume kids are welcome and take classes there.

I would not expect anything valuable to be in a lobby of a community center.

I have to wonder how tax dollars got spent for a $132,000 statue... perhaps the mayor's wife took a pottery class at that same center and donated it to be placed there?
Old 06-19-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Gotta ask you Sonic, are you a parent?
Nope.
Old 06-19-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just learned about this story as its technically a local story, Overland Park, KS is right next to where I live in Lenexa. I hope the family hires a lawyer immediately, its probably going to have to go court to be settled. I'll agree she needs to stop making any more statements. This exhibit is in a community center that is open to everyone including families. I think the story was the family was there for a wedding. I don't know if Overland Park knew the dollar value of the piece, if they did I'm sure it would be more secured and better protected. Ideally that 132k bill should be split between the city, family, and insurance company. Again I think it'll have to go to court to decide who's paying the bill.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 06-19-18 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I have to wonder how tax dollars got spent for a $132,000 statue... perhaps the mayor's wife took a pottery class at that same center and donated it to be placed there?
None.. it was on loan to the community center from a museum. At least that's my understanding.
Old 06-19-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This reminds me of a similar event I witnessed a couple of years ago. We have a similar type facility in our community that is an arts center and has the offices and facilities for the ballet, opera, symphony, and arts center along with a couple of other similar non-profit organizations.

There's one section of the building that's open and used as a gallery and every month they have a different art exhibit of some sort, typically with work from artists in the area around some theme. Every spring, though, they host the local High School IB Program art students' exhibition of their work.

This room is off the main door so all traffic flows through it. So there's this piece that was done which is basically a white mannequin but just the waist up. The artist had melted all sorts of crayons over the head & shoulders and dripping down the body. On the base/stand holding it, there were crayon pieces scattered all around.

So its the weekend and the ballet is doing its major rehearsal for its spring production. Kids everywhere from the age of 5 on up. Often sitting around just waiting for their part to be called. So the room is mainly empty as a large group just got called in and I'm just standing around and I hear this dad freaking out. I glance over and his kid had picked up a crayon bit and had written her name on the side of the mannequin where it was still white.

The dad is freaking out, holding a toddler under the age of 2 in his arms and trying to get the wife's attention. They don't realize I even saw and they are huddled around it while he is pointing out what has been done.

I step away for a few minutes to give them some privacy to figure out what they are going to do. I go back about 30 minutes later when people have returned to the room and they had taken a crayon and literally scribbled over her name.

Honestly, it made me laugh.
Old 06-19-18, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The parents should counter sue for a million bucks as little jonny now has nightmares that statues are coming to kill him. or I am sure they can find a Dr to come up with some trauma that would stand up in court these days.

That statue needs to be way more secure where it is if that is really a community center. Whoever mounted it is the one that should pay up.
Old 06-19-18, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe they could get that lady who restored that Jesus fresco to come fix the sculpture.
Old 06-20-18, 12:25 AM

So, in other words, kids can do no wrong, and "It's not their fault." And, the entitled parents will have such a hissy fit at being called out on their negligence that, in the end, the insurance company (hence, the community) will "eat" the cost.

I'm usually not on the side of the business entity, but in this case, they're only right to go after the parents in trying to collect. Maybe $132k is harsh, BUT, the amount collected should be large, so that a lesson in humility is taught: Asshole parents who do not supervise their kids in public will need to pay up when their kids break things. Does the community need to enable such behavior by not making those responsible see that their kids' actions have (monetary) consequences? I say NO! But, in the nanny state of the USA, I'm surely in the minority, as we can never punish a child (or, even their parents) these days.

I don't care if the statue was "unsecured" as so many are claming. That also is probably not true, as it was in an area that clearly was "off limits"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.