Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you take Fish Oil supplements?
Yes
52.94%
No
5.88%
Bullshit
29.41%
I consume a different kind of fish *wink*
0%
Twikoff
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Fish oil - Healthy or not?

Old 06-11-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fish oil - Healthy or not?

Anyone here take fish oil supplements for preventing heart disease? Every year I read an article that says it has no benefits followed by months later with another article that says it provides benefits.
Old 06-11-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fish oil - Healthy or not?

No way in hell. I was at my doctor the other day for a physical and I saw a fish oil sales rep in the lobby. I am healthier than every man on this planet except Donald Trump, but my doctor tried giving me some BS about my blood work showing slight signs of hypertension and ebola. I knew what he was up to — big kick backs from fish oil boy in the lobby. Sure enough, he tried prescribing me unnecessary high-dollar fish oil.

I called him out on that shit, and boy was he surprised! Big Fish ain’t getting fat off this guy.
Old 06-11-18, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fish oil has a good number of benefits, so it isn't snake oil, but it isn't as vital as some sources try to make it sound, and it makes your piss smell worse.
Old 06-11-18, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
No way in hell. I was at my doctor the other day for a physical and I saw a fish oil sales rep in the lobby. I am healthier than every man on this planet except Donald Trump, but my doctor tried giving me some BS about my blood work showing slight signs of hypertension and ebola. I knew what he was up to — big kick backs from fish oil boy in the lobby. Sure enough, he tried prescribing me unnecessary high-dollar fish oil.

I called him out on that shit, and boy was he surprised! Big Fish ain’t getting fat off this guy.

But yeah, Fish Oil may have some health benefits. No down-side as far as I'm aware. I take it sometimes but not too often.
Old 06-11-18, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I told you to keep my nickname, ‘fish oil boy’, on the downlow!
Old 06-12-18, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
This completely changes my answer.
Old 06-12-18, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
You are
Spoiler:
weird
Old 06-12-18, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I turned 50 I did a ton of research, spoke to Dr, etc. Basically come to believe supplements in general are BS. Unless by chance you have a very specific, diagnosed deficiency. And in can be in some cases harmful. At the very least you would be better off just throwing money in the trash every month.

The one exception does seem to be fish oil. Dr, research everything seems to be a positive on this. However also everything I’ve read is that the vast majority of benefit can can come from relatively low amounts which can easily be done through normal diet.

And since things got way more complicated trying to figure out which fish oil tablets were the best (Walmart brand was penny’s, boutique brands were super expensive) I just make a point to eat fish regularly and forget the supplement. Again unless you have a diagnosed issue that cannot be addressed by diet alone (which would be rare and tested much more extensive than annual check up).

Also, if just a general cholesterol issue, exercise can vastly improve. I mean night and day improve.
Old 06-12-18, 06:05 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I take Norwegian Cod Liver Oil (because the Omega-3 fish oil capsules are too big for me to swallow). I believe it has heart-health benefits, if it didn't I wouldn't bother. I'm sure there are just as many sources that will tell you it has no health benefits just as the sources who say they do. I do what I think is right for me.

https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-h...blood-pressure
Old 06-12-18, 07:59 AM
Admin-Thanos

Best post in the thread.
Old 06-12-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Most fish oil is from the cheapest fish available. I'd recommend HealthWise fish oils if you must take any. If you don't notice anything in a month...stop the dosage altogether.

Also, try to eat salmon or trout or tuna (not canned).
Old 06-12-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Can the salmon be canned though?
Old 06-12-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most fish oil is from the cheapest fish available. I'd recommend HealthWise fish oils if you must take any. If you don't notice anything in a month...stop the dosage altogether.

What do you think would be "noticed"? Fish oil is claimed to help with issues that have no outward symptoms. And while it seems to help with hypertension, it's no substitute for BP meds.
Old 06-12-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Notice? What would one notice?
Old 06-12-18, 09:35 AM

I had to switch from fish oil to krill oil after I developed an allergy to some kinds of finned fish. Took me quite a while to figure that one out.
Old 06-12-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Perfect, you just need to radiate a bit more barely suppressed rage.
Old 06-12-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I eat a pretty fair amount of tuna, salmon, sardines, etc. (canned, frozen and fresh) so I likely don't need supplements.
Old 06-12-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Can the salmon be canned though?
I wouldn't recommend it. I only eat fresh salmon. Canned just tastes nasty.

One exception, is you get your canned salmon from the local reservations, such as what I've done in the past. They just use basic salt, and some even sea salt or pink if requested.

But as a mass production canned salmon thing? I'd pass. Just buy the non-farm salmon from a trusted store. You might get by from some place like TJ's or Whole Foods, but once again, I don't know for sure as I haven't checked...and I don't have the trust in these stores as I once did--you really have to be careful now, versus 6-10 years ago.
Old 06-12-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Not dying.
Old 06-12-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
If you don't notice any benefits from the oils (we're talking actual benefits--the benefits you want to get from the oils---not just psychological), don't pretend the next month will magically be the one. Just toss the shit in the trash.

And have all the cats in the neighborhood thank you personally, of course.
Old 06-12-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've read that a lot of the fish oil that is peddled is rancid nastiness. You need to be careful what you buy. Personally, I try just try to eat more sashimi, poke and wild salmon.
Old 06-12-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

But yeah, Fish Oil may have some health benefits. No down-side as far as I'm aware. I take it sometimes but not too often.
There is Big Fish Oil's money hard at work!!

My eye doctor told me to take it as the fluid in my eyes is getting thicker as I get older. I am horrible about taking it so I am not sure if it is helping. It does give me indigestion a lot of times.
Old 06-12-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a supplement, it's not for me. And I've tried to make it work.

For some people, maybe. I'm most balanced when I drink a protein supplement. And that has about everything I could want in my nutrition. Most supplements create unwanted side effects for me.
Old 06-12-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
...Personally, I try just try to eat more sashimi, poke and wild salmon.
Yep. Wild salmon at least once a week + leftovers for lunch. We stock our freezer each year with salmon dipnetted from the Chitina River.
Old 06-12-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I've read that a lot of the fish oil that is peddled is rancid nastiness. You need to be careful what you buy. Personally, I try just try to eat more sashimi, poke and wild salmon.
Most definitely. In addition, I noticed that the cheaper fish oils would freeze solid when put in the freezer (did this to a friend of mine's capsules because I was curious). This means hardly any oil in those capsules.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.