Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

California Testing Digital License Plates

Old 05-29-18, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

California Testing Digital License Plates

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...211828814.html

California’s dramatic new license plate is hitting the streets — a digital display board that allows changeable messages controlled by the driver or remotely by fleet managers.

The new plates use the same computer technology as Kindle eBook readers, along with a wireless communication system.

They come with their own computer chips and battery.

Motorists who choose to buy the plate can register their vehicles electronically and eliminate the need to physically stick tags on their plates each year. They also may be able to display personal messages — if the DMV decides to allow that.

f the car is stolen, the plate's manufacturer says the plate can tell the owner and police exactly where the car is or at least where the license plate is if it has been detached.

California, which has been quietly prepping its roll-out this year, is the first state to try out the new plates.

The state Department of Motor Vehicles is conducting a pilot project with a Bay Area company, Reviver Auto, which makes the plate and is about to begin marketing it for sale at auto dealerships.

Last week, Sacramento became the first city to agree to test the plates, taking a shipment of 24 plates for its in-house vehicle fleet.

The technology comes with a high price, however, and has already prompted questions about privacy and safety.

Dealerships are expected to sell the plates for $699, not including installation costs. Users also must pay a monthly fee of about $7. The plates are not available through the DMV.
More at the link.

I feel like this would be a fun novelty, but get annoying fast to see on cars. Also seems needlessly complicated for something that's just supposed to identify your car. But fuck it, if it weren't so damn expensive i'd totally play with one.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-29-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-29-18, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: California Testing Digital License Plates

But will it cause cancer?
Old 05-29-18, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if it will filter out certain words. If not, it's a race to see who can be the ASSMAN first.
Old 05-29-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This seems like something thatís completely needless and silly to me. Also seems like it could be something to create more of a distraction for drivers.
Old 05-29-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Nook stopped working right when I only dropped it three feet. The license plate is like my Nook and it could stop working when it's in a crash. Great for hit-and-run drivers. Not so great for the witnesses.

Old 05-29-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Only in California.

I think it's a dumb idea for a lot of reasons. The only positive thing I can think of is that it would make it more difficult to steal the plate.
Old 05-29-18, 08:43 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One more thing to hack.
Old 05-29-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People will be lining up around the block to pay a monthly fee for their license plates!
Old 05-29-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

For a petty $10 million federal grant, I can let you know for certain.
Old 05-29-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
This seems like something thatís completely needless and silly to me. Also seems like it could be something to create more of a distraction for drivers.
It's a way for California to justify their "financial need".
Old 05-29-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's like we're in the Future...
Old 05-29-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
People will be lining up around the block to pay a monthly fee for their license plates!
Yeah, because there's no way to pay online.
Old 05-29-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Yeah, because there's no way to pay online.

But i think he was being... Never mind.
Old 05-29-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

First of all you’re basically paying to let the government put a tracking device on your car. They’ll know your driving habits and everything. They’ll know if you’re speeding.

Second, the whole point of license plates is that they have a unique fixed number for identification purposes. There’s no way they should allow you to display custom messages. That would be used for all kinds of nefarious purposes.

Is this April fools?

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-30-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-29-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Silly.
Old 05-29-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
This. Following the slippery slope, in five yeas this will be mandatory, and the fee will conveniently rise to ~$30 per month and $1000 for the plate.

Another thinly-veiled tax, and the bonus is that DMV gets to track all of your driving since this is "always on" and another black box of sorts. Fun, right?

No way. Blow this thing out of orbit before it gets a foothold!
Old 05-29-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is my favorite part:
If the car is stolen, the plate's manufacturer says the plate can tell the owner and police exactly where the car is or at least where the license plate is if it has been detached.
So CA admits it's a tracking device, but that it cannot be permanently attached to the vehicle, rendering it useless as a theft-derrent device but still places the car owner at a disadvantage.... A thief will remove it and slap a spare plate on the car in a heartbeat so he can't be tracked, but if CA uses the tracker to send you a speeding violation, or a parking violation, or anything related to illegal trespass because the tag was somewhere it shouldn't've been they'll no doubt place the burden of proof on YOU to show that the tag wasn't attached to your car.

Doesn't California have better things to deal with, like their crippling debt, crumbling infrastructure, confiscatory taxes and burgeoning illegal population rather than trying to convince drivers to pay $700 up front and $7 a month for a tracker that won't help them recover their car, just to avoid the inconvnience of applying a 1" x 1.5" sticker on their plate once a year?
Old 05-29-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
This is my favorite part:

Spoiler:
So CA admits it's a tracking device, but that it cannot be permanently attached to the vehicle, rendering it useless as a theft-derrent device but still places the car owner at a disadvantage.... A thief will remove it and slap a spare plate on the car in a heartbeat so he can't be tracked, but if CA uses the tracker to send you a speeding violation, or a parking violation, or anything related to illegal trespass because the tag was somewhere it shouldn't've been they'll no doubt place the burden of proof on YOU to show that the tag wasn't attached to your car.

Doesn't California have better things to deal with, like their crippling debt, crumbling infrastructure, confiscatory taxes and burgeoning illegal population rather than trying to convince drivers to pay $700 up front and $7 a month for a tracker that won't help them recover their car, just to avoid the inconvnience of applying a 1" x 1.5" sticker on their plate once a year?
The answer, is no, California's admins do not have other things to do as it would remove the veil of their ignorance from the realities of their purposeful money mismanagement.

Just about guarantee these plates are being made by the relative of some higher-up in California's government, probably who oversees CA DMV or something.
Old 05-29-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Plastics! Exotic metals! EM radiation! Any custom displays other than the standard license number will, by law, be limited to 30% of the screen. The other 70% will be taken up by the regulation Cancer Warning Declaration.
Old 05-29-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
My Nook stopped working right when I only dropped it three feet. The license plate is like my Nook and it could stop working when it's in a crash. Great for hit-and-run drivers. Not so great for the witnesses.

Stranger still, the fall turned it into a Kindle!!!
Old 05-29-18, 07:01 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Also seems needlessly complicated for something that's just supposed to identify your car. But fuck it, if it weren't so damn expensive i'd totally play with one.
Remember the Nest thermostat?

I have two
Old 05-29-18, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Remember the Nest thermostat?

I have two
I don't see the similarity.
Old 05-30-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He dropped them and they both turned into Kindles.
Old 05-30-18, 01:28 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can take something seemingly so simple and rethink/redesign it from the ground up, and make it much more interesting and useful. The Nest thermostat was one example that arguably opened the door to a great variety of home automation devices. This digital license plate could be the start of something big. I'd get one.
Old 05-30-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
You can take something seemingly so simple and rethink/redesign it from the ground up, and make it much more interesting and useful. The Nest thermostat was one example that arguably opened the door to a great variety of home automation devices. This digital license plate could be the start of something big. I'd get one.
I don't have a Nest but do have a Honeywell WiFi Thermostat that I can control from my phone and Harmony remote, but I still don't really see the two as being very similar in terms of form, function, and enhancement. But I admit that could be me only looking at the now rather then being open minded about the possibilities.

It seems like you can call out "Nest!" to any product they try and add technology to.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.