Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Dealer damaged my car while being serviced. Do I have ny options?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-25-18, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recently took my 2008 Charger (Daytona Edition, 40k miles) to have a boot replaced on the interior steering column due to it rubbing & causing a squeaking noise when the wheel was turned.

When I picked it up I noticed the signals were not shutting off automatically & have to manually shut them off. They were working correctly before I took the car in & the service rep test drove the car when I first dropped it off. I brought the car back a few days ago expecting them to fix whatever it is they broke. Got the call saying the part is in stock & the repair will cost $795. They denied going near the steering wheel which is where the signal switch is located which is what broke & said it's a coincidence that it broke while the car was in their possession & blamed the age of the car. I called Corporate & also spoke with the manager at the dealer & haven't gotten anywhere. According to this Service Bulletin, the steering wheel does in fact get removed to replace the boot http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_3...SB_1900507.pdf.

They took apart whatever they needed to inspect the broken switch & had the part in stock, but because I told them I thought they should fix this free of charge, they put everything back together without installing the part & said the best they could do was not charge me the $160 diagnostic fee. Even if they would've just charged me for the part itself without labor I would've agreed to it. I'm supposed to pick up the car tomorrow. Do I have any options here or am I screwed?

Last edited by JZ1276; 05-25-18 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-25-18, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Dealer damaged my car while being serviced. Do I have ny options?

Post your issue to all the dealer and coroporate’s social media to make it all public. Sometimes that is enough for them to “one time courtesy” fix a problem.
Old 05-25-18, 07:07 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

You could have someone else do the work and then take the dealer to small claims court to recover your $795 (or whatever the other mechanic charges you). You can get the other mechanic to write you a memo stating that it was damaged by the dealer, and ask him to testify in your small claims case (for a small fee, and perhaps a promise to bring your car to him for work from now on).
Old 05-25-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The wife of a friend of mine brought her car in for an oil change. She brought it home and said it sounded funny. He checked and they drained the oil, but didn't refill it. When he approached them about it, they just denied it and claimed they filled it.

Unfortunately, crap like this is hard to prove.

I think Bando and SunMonkey's options are both reasonable. If they won't do what's right, either socially shame them into doing it, or settle it in small claims court. I could see that going either way, unless you could prove they claimed they didn't touch the steering wheel, and that it was in fact necessary for the initial repair. If they change their story and say they did have to remove it, but the switch broke not due to any fault of theirs (which could actually be the case), you might be out of luck.
Old 05-25-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure you have recourse. Find some social media pics of the ownerís kids. Tie the pics around a brick and throw it through the showroom window.

If youíre up for it, just keep complaining until they give in. Write bad reviews on yelp and google. BBB complaint. Social media. Follow up on the phone.
Old 05-25-18, 12:10 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

This happened to a boss of mine a few years ago. He came to pick up car and saw the damage. Disputed it on the spot with manager, they said it was already like that, so my boss refused to take it until he could FILE A POLICE REPORT of vandalism and started calling the police. They immediately took it back and made it right.
Old 05-26-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard stories like these from my friends so a few years ago I started video taping the car. I would walk around the car at the dealer and do a quick video. I would then video the area that was suppose to be worked on and making sure it actually was/was not working. It only takes a few minutes because there would usually be a line in front of me even though I have an appointment. I would also check the vehicle after the service right before I left.
Old 05-26-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking small claims. Get the documentation that shows they do in fact have to remove the wheel, offer one more chance to fix it then go down and file. It will cost more for the attorney than it will to fix the car. I like the social media shaming as well. Call out the service manager by name. So and so told me they don't touch the wheel when in fact they do. Was he lying or is he that uninformed how cars work?

I've had numerous cars well over 100,000 miles with one car hiotting 243,000. The only car that ever had the turn signal safety fail had over 160,000 on it when it went.

Sir so you consider a 10 year old Dodge with 40,000 miles so old, failures like this are to be expected?
Old 05-26-18, 10:02 PM

So I went to pick up the car yesterday. I spoke to the service manager and showed him the service bulletin that shows removing the steering wheel is one of the steps in the repair they did. He did not care. Now the air bag light is on, the horn doesn't work, and none of the radio controls on the steering wheel work which he did inform me about yesterday saying I'd have these issues until I had the repair done. However, I didn't have any of these issues before I brought the car back the second time. Debated with him for around 5 minutes & walked out because he would not budge. I cannot see how they could get away with this.
Old 05-26-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got a survey from Honda corporate after some maintenance. I gave an honest review of items I felt pressured into getting and the high cost. The next day, the owner of the dealership reached out to me and tried to make things right. You might want to go to corporate or reach out to the owner.
Old 05-26-18, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I got a survey from Honda corporate after some maintenance. I gave an honest review of items I felt pressured into getting and the high cost. The next day, the owner of the dealership reached out to me and tried to make things right. You might want to go to corporate or reach out to the owner.
Calling corporate was the first things i did.They said they aren't above the dealerships and are only partners with them & to have this resolved I would have to get in touch with the area manager, but could not provide a phone number.
Old 05-26-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
So I went to pick up the car yesterday. I spoke to the service manager and showed him the service bulletin that shows removing the steering wheel is one of the steps in the repair they did. He did not care. Now the air bag light is on, the horn doesn't work, and none of the radio controls on the steering wheel work which he did inform me about yesterday saying I'd have these issues until I had the repair done. However, I didn't have any of these issues before I brought the car back the second time. Debated with him for around 5 minutes & walked out because he would not budge. I cannot see how they could get away with this.
Sounds like you're dealing with a bunch of fucking crooks.

You can try to go over their heads and complain to corporate. It might work, it might not. You can also try to get a local tv station to cover it; most of them cover consumer scams and rip-offs.

But I sure as fuck wouldn't reward the cocksuckers by paying to get the stuff they intentionally fucked up fixed there. Find an honest mechanic and have them do the work if the dealer won't do it for free.

And never go back to that fucking dealer again.
Old 05-26-18, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Sounds like you're dealing with a bunch of fucking crooks.

You can try to go over their heads and complain to corporate. It might work, it might not. You can also try to get a local tv station to cover it; most of them cover consumer scams and rip-offs.

But I sure as fuck wouldn't reward the cocksuckers by paying to get the stuff they intentionally fucked up fixed there. Find an honest mechanic and have them do the work if the dealer won't do it for free.

And never go back to that fucking dealer again.
Like I said in my last post. I've already contacted corporate. I also left a review on Yelp. I just now finished filing with Better Business Bureau & slammed them on their facebook page. Tuesday I plan on contacting the area manager of the dealership. Anything I can think of doing...
Old 05-26-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Car Dealers are all criminal, they have a license to steal. I have a handful of unreal dealer theft stories, worst of which was they wanted $500 to replace an oil pan on a corolla after THEY stripped the drain bolt (but of course they said it came to them that way)

BBB is a great option, they can help get a resolution

Working with the general manager is an option
small claims court is an option, but really hard to prove what broke when
I am not sure if social media guilt works on car dealers

locate the part you need from an online salvage yard for cheap and install it yourself or get an indy mechanic to do it

with my corolla issue above, I got in indy mechanic to re-tap the threads and put in a larger bolt for $20
Old 05-27-18, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can picket in front of the dealership(make a banner, scream at the top of your lungs at customers in the area)
, but on the sidewalk, make sure not to enter the dealer property. Also hand out flyers to anyone about to enter the dealer. Put flyers on any cars on the street.
Old 05-27-18, 12:03 PM

They broke the clock spring when they removed the steering wheel/airbag. Go up to the regional manager.
Old 05-27-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparently, the DMV in New York also handles complaints about auto repair shops. You can try filing a complaint with them as well.
https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/know-you...ts-auto-repair
Old 05-27-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Sir so you consider a 10 year old Dodge with 40,000 miles so old, failures like this are to be expected?
Dodge, yes. Iím not a brand loyal car buyer, but I will NEVER buy another Dodge. Two minivans that had the transmissions go out before 100,000 miles (but just after the time warranty) and Dodge would not do anything about it. The second one we had taken back to them several times for transmission concerns (rough shifting, not outright problems) BERORE the warranty expiration. Thy told us the computer needed reset, they told us it was the EcoDrive, and they told us it needed a software update ... after the tranny did drop, I looked online. Those were standard stories to everybody just to buy time for the warranty to expire. Each one I read about was the same story. Their minivans are notorious for bad transmissions, but they are just outright ignoring it and cheating their way out of it now.

Calling corporate was the first things i did.They said they aren't above the dealerships and are only partners with them & to have this resolved I would have to get in touch with the area manager, but could not provide a phone number.
You didnít call corporate; you called a third-party call center and talked to a contractor making minimum wage. I worked for one in college. Keep pressing ó look online for a better contact. Corporate does not own the dealers, but they most assuredly have some power in getting this fixed.

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
They broke the clock spring when they removed the steering wheel/airbag. Go up to the regional manager.
He didnít mention any problem with the clock. May be out of turn-signal fluid, lost pressure on the stereo wires, or a flummoxed flux capacitor.
Old 05-27-18, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Dodge, yes. Iím not a brand loyal car buyer, but I will NEVER buy another Dodge. Two minivans that had the transmissions go out before 100,000 miles (but just after the time warranty) and Dodge would not do anything about it. The second one we had taken back to them several times for transmission concerns (rough shifting, not outright problems) BERORE the warranty expiration. Thy told us the computer needed reset, they told us it was the EcoDrive, and they told us it needed a software update ... after the tranny did drop, I looked online. Those were standard stories to everybody just to buy time for the warranty to expire. Each one I read about was the same story. Their minivans are notorious for bad transmissions, but they are just outright ignoring it and cheating their way out of it now.

You didnít call corporate; you called a third-party call center and talked to a contractor making minimum wage. I worked for one in college. Keep pressing ó look online for a better contact. Corporate does not own the dealers, but they most assuredly have some power in getting this fixed.

He didnít mention any problem with the clock. May be out of turn-signal fluid, lost pressure on the stereo wires, or a flummoxed flux capacitor.
No thatís an actual thing, it allows for continuous rotation for the front panel device wiring in the steering wheel.
Old 05-27-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Contact the state attorney general. Also, contact the local news stations just to see if they're interested in your story - a lot of them love to do these kind of local "rip off" artists kind of stories. Start documenting everything. Take people with you (if you haven't) when you talk to them in person. It will all help you when you retain an attorney for legal action.
Old 05-30-18, 05:04 PM

I filed a complaint on the Better Business Bureau's website & 2 days later received a call from the General Manager offering to fix the car. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 05-31-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad to hear that you will receive satisfaction.
Old 05-31-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great news!!
Old 05-31-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully fixing the problem won't suddenly cause something else to go wrong.
Old 05-31-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another happy ending!