Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: Could you live without electricity and technology?
Yes 13 48.15%
No 12 44.44%
What are you high? 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-18, 04:35 PM   #1
Inane Thread Master

Could you live without electricity and technology?

So we had 2 tornados touch down in my county in Hudson Valley, NY yesterday. Nasty suckers. Not in my immediate vicinity, but it did a lot of damage. The $80 Mexican restaurant I went to was closed for Peteís sake!

Anyway, it struck me how fucking dependent on electricity especially and then technology such as cable and internet. Didnít even have cellular available, so couldnít get through to anyone and vice versa. And good for if I keep a corded phone handy.

I mean the phone and internet I could live without, but not watching the news or know anything thatís going on around me till after over was tough. Even with digital clock I had a tough time sleeping. Had to set phone alarm and keep on airport mode to save battery. It was just disorienting is the way to best describe.

Outage lasted just under 24 hours. And it sounds so fucking spoiled, but itís what a lot are used to and take it away suddenly is jarring. Then I think yeah, I have the immenities, but what about people on dialysis machines or breathing apparatus? I suspect there is battery back up, but for how long? What do they do?

So could you live without? And if so how long?
Old 05-16-18, 04:40 PM   #2
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Could you live without electricity and technology?

I've lived without electricity every time I went camping/backpacking. I just came back from a two week trip to British Columbia where we have no phone/TV or any news. It's a nice break. When I get home one of the first things I do is check DVD Talk to see which famous person died while I was gone.
Old 05-16-18, 04:50 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Well that was a while ago and there was electricity but I did live on an island for 2 years where there was no tv, internet, very little access to foreign news although we (teacher's lounge at school) did get some magazines like Paris Match and a few others. Sooooo lot's of parties.
Old 05-16-18, 05:02 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I grew up camping and still do. So I can handle it.

In the event of outages I have this cool tool that is a flashlight, a radio, and a phone charger, and it’s powered by turning a crank.
Old 05-16-18, 05:16 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

Each and every person in the world COULD live without electricity and technology; the question should be would they WANT to live without it. The "no" would be universally resounding.
I'd like to see Johnny Depp direct a movie about Tim Burton directing a movie starring Johnny Depp, in which Johnny is directing a film about Danny Elfman, who is composing the music for a new Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp.....playing Danny Elfman.
Old 05-16-18, 05:25 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Possible, yes.
Boring, yes.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-16-18, 05:38 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Food, water and pussy are the 3 things I couldn't live without.

Last edited by Sonic; 05-16-18 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-16-18, 05:40 PM   #8

Yes, as long as I have my phone and a good connection I'm fine.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 05-16-18, 06:56 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. In an apocalyptic situation, Iíd be more worried about surviving psycho fucks that populate the world (see: Walking Dead or: just talk to ďnormalĒ people).
Old 05-16-18, 07:41 PM   #10
Mostly Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Food, water and pussy are the 3 things I couldn't live without.
Yeah, and for me I would add weed and books (and sunlight and/or candles to read by).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Boring, yes.
That's where the pussy, weed and books would come in handy, because fuck, it would be boring, except for when you are foraging for food and water.

I'm old, so I could deal with no technology (computers, cell phones, internet, etc.) because I've experienced the lack of those in my youth. But young folks would probably shrivel up and die without those things.
Old 05-16-18, 08:16 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

We have books, candles, camping gear and an RV, spare propane and a grill, and a solid couple of months of dry and canned food. If the city water stops I can haul river water and boil & filter it.

A power outage is easier to deal with when it's not 40 below, but even then we hook up the genny to power the boiler (burner and pumps).

But being as we both are on daily medications for stuff like asthma, a couple of months would be about it before things got serious.

One of the best parts of my day is sitting quietly with a cat on my lap drinking a beer or just water. By quietly I mean no phone in hand, no TV on, no music or talk radio yammering.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 05-16-18, 08:25 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

If we suddenly lost electricity and technology, it would be the fucking Walking Dead.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 05-16-18, 08:25 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
That's where the pussy, weed and books would come in handy, because fuck, it would be boring, except for when you are foraging for food and water.
Old 05-16-18, 08:31 PM   #14
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, and for me I would add weed and books (and sunlight and/or candles to read by).

I'm old, so I could deal with no technology (computers, cell phones, internet, etc.) because I've experienced the lack of those in my youth. But young folks would probably shrivel up and die without those things.
I'm not sure I'd wanna be locked up in a room with a woman for an infinite amount of years...just because "pussy".
Old 05-16-18, 08:33 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I'm not sure I'd wanna be locked up in a room alone for an infinite amount of years, either...

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 05-16-18, 08:39 PM   #16
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, you could feel free to take your chances with the horny mutant men outside.
Old 05-16-18, 09:09 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

I could live without technology. Living without electricity would be a bit tougher simply because having no heat in the winter and no A/C in the Summer would get hard. I suppose I could live with a fireplace or wood burning stove for the winter but even though I survived it as a child, I’d be miserable on the hottest summer days with no A/C. There’s no greater everyday misery than trying to sleep in stifling heat!
Old 05-16-18, 09:18 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

No technology period would suck and while Iím sure Iíd adapt over time itíd suck. I could however do without some of the everyday conveniences like the internet or a cell phone I think though.
Old 05-16-18, 09:24 PM   #19
DVD Talk God

For limited time, sure. I go camping once per year and have nothing for 4 days. For extended period of time, probably not.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-16-18, 09:30 PM   #20
Admin-Self Banned

I don't think I could live in FL without electricity for AC. It's fucking brutal in the summer.

Other than that, I could live without technology, but not having access to the information quickly would be a bitch.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 05-16-18, 10:22 PM   #21
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely, I could live without electricity. I practically do now -- power bill is down to < $10 per month.

I've got lots of books, lots of canned food, no need for a cell phone (nor is my life tied to one like 99% of people these days), could get used to life without watching movies (or, allocate that luxury to a gas-powered generator for "movie night" once per week, etc.) I've got my laptop, but it only consumes a mere 6 watts of power, so using it a few hours a week would be a trivial power drain, again a luxury that a generator (if allowed in your scenario of "no electricity") could be used sparingly, as fuel allowed. I could easily be weaned off all gadgets because I've got lots of unread books.

I've also got lots of paraffin and kerosene for light.

The only problems, long term, would be lack of refrigeration and perhaps lack of clean water. These could be overcome by growing as much food as possible in a garden and / or continuing to rely on canned goods.

Living in SoCal, I would have no heating problems, but of course some discomfort due to lack of air conditioning, which I endure now because I don't want to be raped by SoCal Edison at 45 cents per kilowatt hour.

Moving to a colder, northern climate would eliminate that refrigeration problem for 6-8 months of the year. I love the cold, and can tolerate and thrive in an interior temperature of between 40 and 50 degrees. So, very little to no heat would be required, which could be provided of course by kerosene if the need arose on the coldest Winter days.

So, I'm set. Bring on the apocalypse, I'd outsurvive 99% of those pesky Millenials who don't have a backbone and would be totally and hopelessly lost without power for more than 3-4 hours.
Old 05-16-18, 11:07 PM   #22
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My family and I would do fine for a while in such a disaster scenario. It certainly wouldn't be fun living like that for an extended period, but we've got enough emergency food for a couple months, along with some fuel, water filters, and plenty of ammo and fishing gear. Climate is relatively mild year round here, and there's a river for water less than 1/2 a mile away.

Healthy and intelligent people would be fine. But the folks I know who are on oxygen, are type 1 diabetic or need dialysis likely wouldn't make it, though.

A few years ago, I read the book One Second After that deals with life after a large EMP attack on the United States that fries all electrical equipment, creating anarchy and setting the country back 100 years technology-wise. Needless to say, the book was somewhat disturbing.
Old 05-16-18, 11:31 PM   #23
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope, when the power was out for three days a few years ago all I did was have dreams about it coming back on so I could get back to normal. I need hot running water, need to wash clothes, need to cook food etc... and it's not just myself so no power makes it much harder.

However I would be ready for such a thing even more then enough money.
Old 05-16-18, 11:43 PM   #24
Mostly Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'm not sure I'd wanna be locked up in a room with a woman for an infinite amount of years...just because "pussy".
Too late either way, I'm married.
Old 05-17-18, 12:12 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

No DVDtalk

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)