Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: Could you live without electricity and technology?
Yes 13 48.15%
No 12 44.44%
What are you high? 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-18, 05:48 AM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Could you live without electricity and technology?

Of course we could, humans did it for thousands of years.

Now would I want to? No.
Old 05-17-18, 06:02 AM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Food, water and pussy are the 3 things I couldn't live without.
If you have a tom and several females, the food part is taken care of as long as there's an ample supply of rodents in the food chain. So you could add another item...maybe a source of heat/light? A good supply of matches would come in handy.

Don't know the maximum age for preparing the tender kittens before they start getting tough. Trial and error would help you figure that out, though. And besides, what else would you have to occupy your time?
Old 05-17-18, 07:06 AM   #28
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I could but choose not to.
Old 05-17-18, 07:11 AM   #29
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the long run, very few people would be able to survive without electricity. No cars, no heat in the winter, no AC in the summer, no cooking devices. People could adapt and eventually be OK but the initial shock of losing power would plunge us into anarchy and we'd fail as a civilization.
Old 05-17-18, 09:39 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Define "technology".

I am rather fond of indoor plumbing.
Old 05-17-18, 09:42 AM   #31
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Define "technology".

I am rather fond of indoor plumbing.
Without electricity, plumbing would be moot. You wouldn't have water coming to your house.
Old 05-17-18, 09:46 AM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

The most interesting thing about this thread is how either things differ regionally and/or many of you have no idea how things work. Thereís so many comments about how you all would miss electricity because you couldnít run your heater or get hot water. In California those things use gas, not electricity.
Old 05-17-18, 09:50 AM   #33
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The most interesting thing about this thread is how either things differ regionally and/or many of you have no idea how things work. Thereís so many comments about how you all would miss electricity because you couldnít run your heater or get hot water. In California those things use gas, not electricity.
No electricity=no plants working=no water flowing to your house=no hot water. Same can be said for gas. Having gas powered utilities does you no good if you're unable to get gas into your house.
Old 05-17-18, 09:53 AM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Short term:
The last time the power went out, I realized that I don't sleep well if I'm not using my CPAP. I have enough food and water to last for a week. I have an oil lamp and a quart of oil. After that's gone, I'm tapped out.

Long term:
Most of us rely on refrigeration chains for medicine, pumping stations to transport water to our homes, pipelines to bring home heating oil to us from Texas, and other giant infrastructures. Beyond that, James Burke asserted on one of his television shows that our most important invention is the plow. Everything else we have is based on our ability to grow enough food.

I don't know how to use a plow.
Old 05-17-18, 10:10 AM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
In the long run, very few people would be able to survive without electricity. No cars, no heat in the winter, no AC in the summer, no cooking devices. People could adapt and eventually be OK but the initial shock of losing power would plunge us into anarchy and we'd fail as a civilization.
Again, cars do not require electricity. Nor do heaters or A/C units. There are refrigerators that run on propane.

Water can flow without electricity. So can gas. The compressors that create the pressure to move natural gas are internal combustion engines that are fueled by the very natural gas they are channeling.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-17-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 10:14 AM   #36
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Again, cars do not require electricity. Nor do heaters or A/C units. There are refrigerators that run on propane.

Water can flow without electricity. So can gas.
They don't? Take out your car battery/alternator and see how that goes...

Water can flow but it requires stations to actually pump it to you, which requires electricity. Same with gas. The pressure in your gas/water pipes is due to electrical pumps.
Old 05-17-18, 10:20 AM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

The compressors that create the pressure to move natural gas are internal combustion engines that are fueled by the very natural gas they are channeling.

There are ways of starting cars without electricity. And once started the engine creates its own electricity.
Old 05-17-18, 10:53 AM   #38
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
If you have a tom and several females, the food part is taken care of as long as there's an ample supply of rodents in the food chain. So you could add another item...maybe a source of heat/light? A good supply of matches would come in handy.

Don't know the maximum age for preparing the tender kittens before they start getting tough. Trial and error would help you figure that out, though. And besides, what else would you have to occupy your time?

Roast pussy on a stick ...
Old 05-17-18, 11:23 AM   #39
Mostly Banned

Quote:
It's been said that society is only maybe four days to two weeks away from chaos in the event of widespread power outages. It's scary how fragile this thing we call "civilization" really is. At our place, we probably have enough food, water and fuel for maybe a month (at least two months of food), then we'd be fucked. Actually, if it happened in the winter, we'd probably end up breaking into the cottage behind us. The owners are from out of the area and usually aren't there in the winter, and they have a fireplace and tons of chopped wood so at least we'd have heat for quite awhile. Yes I have thought about this when imagining end of the world scenarios.
Old 05-17-18, 11:45 AM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Look at Puerto Rico. According to some of the memes in my feed (the only news that matters) the whole island has been without electrical power for eight months. They should be Mad Maxing it by now. Maybe open it up as an apocalyptic experience theme park?

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 05-17-18, 11:47 AM   #41
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
The compressors that create the pressure to move natural gas are internal combustion engines that are fueled by the very natural gas they are channeling.

There are ways of starting cars without electricity. And once started the engine creates its own electricity.
We may be reading the question differently. I read it as electricity doesn't exist for whatever reason. So things like gas powered generators don't apply (with how I was taking the question).
Old 05-17-18, 12:00 PM   #42
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As others have said, I could but I really don't want to.

After Hurricane Sandy in the northeast we saw a tiny taste of what it would be like when people lost power from weeks to months. The gas shortage due to the stations not having backup generators and some not being able to get gas at all lead to some nasty encounters. My wife and I got to witness a guy cut a 40 car line for gas (we were 10th in line). The guy pulled a gun at the pump and said "who's going to try and stop me?" Unfortunately there was another guy in line with a gun who decided he was, and started shooting. Line cutter took off and the gas station was closed by the police.

I can only imagine the chaos an EMP would cause.

My DVD Collection

XBL-Ohcrapifell
Old 05-17-18, 12:03 PM   #43
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could, but a better question is would I want to, and the answer to that is NO! I was in the Peace Corps for 2 years in Gomez, Cabbaroguis, Quirino Province, Philippines. No electricity, and therefore nothing that runs off electricity. I did it but did I enjoy washing my clothes in the stream, bathing in the stream, hauling water from a waterhole which gave me parasites every single time the Peace Corps checked my stools? No! I also did it here in Alaska for the summer that I was building my home. I had to have it substantially complete before the power company would run an electric line into it. In that situation though, I could go to the Laundromat and visit friends who had electricity, so I could see TV and use technology when I needed it.
Old 05-17-18, 01:01 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
We may be reading the question differently. I read it as electricity doesn't exist for whatever reason. So things like gas powered generators don't apply (with how I was taking the question).
The complet absence of the existence of electricity doesnít make for a very good hypothetical conversation. Most people here seem to be talking about a long term power outage.
Old 05-17-18, 01:02 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Look at Puerto Rico. According to some of the memes in my feed (the only news that matters) the whole island has been without electrical power for eight months. They should be Mad Maxing it by now. Maybe open it up as an apocalyptic experience theme park?
But they arenít mad maxing it. I think itís overstated that we would descend into anarchy in just a few days.
Old 05-17-18, 01:45 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Oh I agree with you. That whole "blast them back to the stone age" thing is ridiculous. Here in the West now that we are all used to techno-comfort we would demand its return post-haste, and work very hard to insure that.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 05-17-18, 02:06 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Back in 91 there was a major ice storm where we were without power for about 7 days.
Late 90's another ice storm but just a few days.
In 03' (?) there was a big blackout in the northeast during the summer but just overnight I believe.
March 8, 2017 we had a big windstorm followed by a snowstorm and knocked out power for 4 days. This time we had a generator so we had the basics but no internet or cable. That was the day mom died so I'll always remember it well.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 230 DVD's, 387 BR titles, Samsung K8500 UHD player, 43 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 25 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 05-17-18, 02:45 PM   #48
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
But they aren’t mad maxing it. I think it’s overstated that we would descend into anarchy in just a few days.
I can't imagine outright chaos breaking out if there were just widespread power outages. It would be an inconvenience but most would be OK.

What would cause huge problems, such as in an EMP scenario, would be if the transportation network was disabled (i.e. every semi truck having its electrical system fried). People would go hungry very fast in big cities after the fast food restaurants and grocery stores quickly ran out of food.

Example: Puerto Rico, while it has had widespread power supply issues, emergency food supplies and distribution were not a big problem. Take that away and, yes, people would be shaving their hair into mohawks and fighting for the last drops of guzzolene.
Old 05-17-18, 03:17 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I can't imagine outright chaos breaking out if there were just widespread power outages. It would be an inconvenience but most would be OK.

What would cause huge problems, such as in an EMP scenario, would be if the transportation network was disabled (i.e. every semi truck having its electrical system fried). People would go hungry very fast in big cities after the fast food restaurants and grocery stores quickly ran out of food.

Example: Puerto Rico, while it has had widespread power supply issues, emergency food supplies and distribution were not a big problem. Take that away and, yes, people would be shaving their hair into mohawks and fighting for the last drops of guzzolene.
I thought distribution WAS the problem in PR. Didn't the supplies get there but getting it distributed was the problem? Flooded streets and lack of gasoline for trucks for hauling.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 230 DVD's, 387 BR titles, Samsung K8500 UHD player, 43 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 25 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 05-17-18, 03:19 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I thought distribution WAS the problem in PR. Didn't the supplies get there but getting it distributed was the problem? Flooded streets and lack of gasoline for trucks for hauling.
That certainly doesn't help but I think his example was if supplies just weren't available. If no ships showed up to help PR, they would be in full chaos.

Another thing which hasn't been brought up is emergency agencies. If police aren't able to respond (or receive), crime will inevitable. Once people get hungry/thirsty and can't buy more food/water, it will be no holds barred.